Pages:
Author

Topic: What we've learnt today. - page 33. (Read 84580 times)

Activity: 756
Merit: 501
There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.
October 21, 2012, 01:43:29 AM
Taxonomy has been called "the world's oldest profession",[7] and naming and classifying our surroundings has likely been taking place as long as mankind has been able to communicate. It would always have been important to know the names of poisonous and edible plants and animals in order to communicate this information to other members of the family or group.

Did prostitution come before communication? Or the other way around? This is the world's oldest chicken-and-egg problem. Which is never a problem if you ask me. Like all those famous paradoxes, I never find them paradoxical. It's all semantics. Which brings me back to naming things, i.e. taxonomy. Or prostitution. Same thing.
Activity: 506
Merit: 500
October 20, 2012, 11:05:33 PM
I learned that you must not give your phone number to anyone related to bitcoin unless you want to be called at 10 PM with a robotic voice saying BITCOIN (coming from a known VOIP number)
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
October 20, 2012, 08:38:35 PM
Taxonomy has been called "the world's oldest profession",[7] and naming and classifying our surroundings has likely been taking place as long as mankind has been able to communicate. It would always have been important to know the names of poisonous and edible plants and animals in order to communicate this information to other members of the family or group.
Activity: 504
Decent Programmer to boot!
October 19, 2012, 09:10:12 PM
I've learnt that every time I think there's no new Bitcoin drama on the horizon for the next few weeks, I'm proven wrong.

Is drama the correct genre?

Meanwhile, I'm just going to put this here, for that's the only reason I came to this thread in the first place. (reminds me of RandyFolds)

What ever happened to RandyFolds? I went inactive and then he like disappeared.
legendary
October 19, 2012, 11:09:46 AM
I've learnt that every time I think there's no new Bitcoin drama on the horizon for the next few weeks, I'm proven wrong.

Is drama the correct genre?

Meanwhile, I'm just going to put this here, for that's the only reason I came to this thread in the first place. (reminds me of RandyFolds)

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000
October 19, 2012, 02:27:31 AM
Activity: 686
Wat
October 19, 2012, 02:07:27 AM
I have learnt that people who get hit by buses make poor ceo's.
legendary
October 19, 2012, 12:07:21 AM
Almost 1,200 pigs were subjected to bio-medical experiments and blast-effects studies during Operation Plumbbob. On shot Priscilla (37 kT), 719 pigs were used in various experiments on Frenchman Flat. Some pigs were placed in elevated cages and provided with suits made of different materials, to test which materials provided best protection from the thermal pulse.

What an absolutely awesome way to make bacon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CErapf79rqM
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
October 18, 2012, 08:29:04 PM
Almost 1,200 pigs were subjected to bio-medical experiments and blast-effects studies during Operation Plumbbob. On shot Priscilla (37 kT), 719 pigs were used in various experiments on Frenchman Flat. Some pigs were placed in elevated cages and provided with suits made of different materials, to test which materials provided best protection from the thermal pulse.

What an absolutely awesome way to make bacon!
legendary
October 18, 2012, 12:48:06 PM
Another means of moving troops to the scene of trouble is the
commando carrier, which is now coming into service. The commando
carrier Bulwark has just joined the Fleet. She is designed to carry One
Royal Marine Commando—equivalent to an infantry battalion—together with
helicopters, landing craft and vehicles to enable the commando to land across
beaches and operate well inland. It can be sustained with supplies from
the carrier for several weeks. She is fully air-conditioned and can maintain
a commando at instant readiness for long periods in any area where trouble
may threaten. She will normally be deployed east of Suez.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
October 18, 2012, 01:21:51 AM
A method for statistical analysis and computation of reference limits for ABR latency and amplitude variables is presented. Condensation and rarefaction ABRs from 47 healthy controls aged 4-58 years were investigated. With respect to gaussianity of distributions, the square root transformation was superior to the logarithmic transformation for amplitudes, while the logarithmic transformation performed better for amplitude ratios. Wave V latency and the I-V interpeak latency were nearly normally distributed, while other latencies and inter-peak latencies displayed varying displacement from a normal distribution. Rarefaction ABR distributions were slightly closer to normality than were condensation ABRs. Amplitude vs. following amplitude and latency vs. amplitude correlation coefficients were larger for R than for C click ABRs; thus R clicks seem to evoke a better synchronized neural volley. Most of the correlation between amplitude and latency could be explained by the influence of age and sex. Hence, age and sex matched reference limits for ABR amplitudes, without correction for latency, seem to be adequate in practical clinical work.
Activity: 210
Merit: 100
October 18, 2012, 01:15:33 AM
interesting  Smiley
legendary
October 18, 2012, 12:51:53 AM

Did you mean to post this in one of the pirate threads?  Grin
October 18, 2012, 12:09:18 AM
October 17, 2012, 01:30:39 AM
Certain spiders build they own kites, then fly to new places. This is called spider ballooning.
Activity: 85
Merit: 10
October 08, 2012, 09:12:58 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kip_Rhinelander

If you suspect your wife is colored but are not sure and want an annulment of your marriage, there's already a US legal precedent Smiley
Activity: 686
October 07, 2012, 01:39:05 AM
TIL that stinkbugs fit through my window and then proceeded to tape every crack.
October 07, 2012, 01:22:26 AM
The Dancing Plague (or Dance Epidemic) of 1518 was a case of dancing mania that occurred in Strasbourg, France (then part of the Holy Roman Empire) in July 1518. Numerous people took to dancing for days without rest, and, over the period of about one month, most of the people died from heart attack, stroke, or exhaustion.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
October 03, 2012, 10:15:43 PM
I learned how to make financial Excel sheets that will make whoever attempts to use them for anything fail miserably. Self-tested. At work.  Cry

I had no idea this was something to work toward. I have significant expertise in this area already. Some of the best spreadsheets I've made at work can't even be opened.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
October 03, 2012, 07:53:47 PM
I learned how to make financial Excel sheets that will make whoever attempts to use them for anything fail miserably. Self-tested. At work.  Cry
Pages:
Jump to: