Pages:
Author

Topic: What's your opinion of gun control? - page 4. (Read 450417 times)

legendary
Activity: 2898
Merit: 1386
December 27, 2019, 08:00:56 PM

Guns are made for one purpose, and that purpose is to kill. ...

Not true.
legendary
Activity: 2198
Merit: 1150
Freedom&Honor
December 26, 2019, 02:33:33 PM
Just to start with numbers & highlight the seriousness of the issue – there were around 40K gun deaths in 2017 alone which was 1000 more than the year before. What I think, the goal should be simple and clear to reduce overall number of guns available with masses, especially the ones considered weapons of war like AKs and Semis. Policy and amendments’ must be in place to reduce market desire for new weapons.

Do you think criminals care if the guns are legal or not?
You'll only take them from law-abiding citizens.
Ill-intetioned people will still have theirs.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 1368
December 26, 2019, 01:12:59 PM

Just to start with numbers & highlight the seriousness of the issue – there were around 40K gun deaths in 2017 alone which was 1000 more than the year before. What I think, the goal should be simple and clear to reduce overall number of guns available with masses, especially the ones considered weapons of war like AKs and Semis. Policy and amendments’ must be in place to reduce market desire for new weapons.

It would be really nice if we all lived in peace towards each other. But all history shows that peace is always a temporary thing. Now that guns have been invented, they will probably never go away. They are probably better war pieces than the swords used to hack each other to bits.

As far as gun deaths, they are due to the relatively wide-spread peace we have had in recent years. People aren't expecting terrorists to strike, because there has been so much peace since WW2.

In the 40k gun death situations, if all the average people who died had been armed, the death toll would have been a lot less. Why? They would have protected themselves and others.

If the people were armed, terrorists would think twice about attacking average people. The few crazies that still attacked, would be dead in short order.

Guns are a requirement for peace.

A 250-pound muscleman bully can easily attack, mug, and kill a 90-pound teenage girl. But if Girly has a gun, she has a chance... even if the bully has a gun, as well.

Cool
Activity: 1078
Merit: 507
December 26, 2019, 12:40:41 PM

Guns are made for one purpose, and that purpose is to kill.
I believe that guns are not weapons, they are tools. How they are used is up to the person holding it.
Guns are especially dangerous in the hands of people who don't know how to use them (i.e., kids and teenagers) as well as those who are mentally ill and/or have a temper problem.
Gun control will not stop violence because a violent person doesn’t need a gun to be violent.
After the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting in Newtown, Connecticut, support for gun control increased dramatically.

Generally in America, the support for gun control has outweighed the support for gun rights.
Are gun control laws constitutional?
What would be your ideal set of laws regarding firearms?

legendary
December 24, 2019, 10:45:13 AM
From Lincoln's Gettysburg address ". . . and that government of the people. . .by the people. . .for the people. . . shall not perish from the earth."

The people enforce their governmental action by gun control. Gun control by the people is a requirement. The only way for people to control their guns (gun control) is to have them.

Eliminating guns from the people is against government.

Cool
Activity: 21
Merit: 1
December 23, 2019, 09:14:51 PM
Guns are tools, of course, and many people sort of lose it when they receive these tools... which we can definitely see in mass shootings statistics in countries where gun control laws are strict vs countries where govts are on gun manufacturers' payroll but masquerade it as "protecting 2nd amendment". (And don't even start with "checking mental health" of potential customer, because when was the last time someone did so?) This is the real harm, not some imaginary "protect ourselves from oppressive government" (when was the last time any of folk who said this took the gun & "protected himself" from a govt official? We can drown in semantics if we want, we can speak about "governmental control" being "inherently bad" whatever we want, but since we don't have more effective and urgent counter policy to offer, I thing gun control measures definitely should be applied.
legendary
December 23, 2019, 04:59:30 AM
Anybody want government control of guns? Note that, he who has the guns IS the government.

I don't trust somebody else to be the government. I want to be the government.

That's why we call it "gun control." I not only want the most guns, and the biggest ones, I want top gun control.

Wink
Activity: 1092
Merit: 267
Need a Helping hand? https://tinyurl.com/2p94uabm
December 23, 2019, 04:53:08 AM
I think the government of the country needs to take strict measures to control the gun No one has a gun without the need There are many who run the gun illegally, and many problems arise. If you need your gun when you are at home or where you go outside in a secluded place the gun can be used For example, many countries in the United States use guns without need and many engage in terrorism and crime is rampant Many people mislead it For this reason the government should reduce the use of guns so that it can be regulated.
legendary
December 22, 2019, 09:22:57 PM
There's a lot more to this article. It seems that militias are being talked about all over the nation, and people who can't wait to join one, are moving to Virginia. Looks like we are finding out what average people really think about government and gun control.

The militia vs. the military?

Warning to LET: "Stop reporting on Virginia militia or your editors will be charged as felons."

Over the past week, we haven't been afraid to report about the rising numbers of men and women across the country who say they're joining the militia.

It's no longer a veiled threat – it's a reality.  The numbers have exploded thanks to what's happening in Virginia.  More on that in a moment.

But first – this message came in Wednesday:

"Your reporting about the growing numbers in the militia create a clear and present threat to America.  As part of Congress, I'm giving you fair warning that this is the equivalent of shouting 'fire' in a movie theater.  If your reporting incites violence, or can even be tied to it, we will make sure to charge your editors with felonies," wrote the person.

It's worth pointing out the message came in anonymously – so we're pretty confident it wasn't exactly a sitting congressman.

Cool
legendary
December 17, 2019, 03:47:30 PM
What's Virginia's opinion of gun control? Here's what. (More links at the site.)

Virginia Activates Official Militia in Response to Gun Confiscation Threats. Lawmakers Want To Make This a Felony.

As Virginia lawmakers prepare to pass a draconian gun control bill that would make most guns in the state illegal, Tazewell County has formed an official active militia as per the Second Amendment to the Constitution.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

To all of those who like to mock gun owners and ask if they're going to fight tyranny in a militia, Virginia's answer is a clear and adamant "yes." That's exactly what they're planning to do.

A Quick Recap of What's Happened So Far

Here's a little bit of background on the proposed weapons ban from my last article.

After the most recent election, the state's House and Senate are both Democrat majorities and they haven't wasted a moment in attempting to gut the gun laws in what has historically been a permissive state.

The so-called "assault weapon ban" is SB16 and has that perilously vague wording we all know to be incredibly dangerous. In some interpretations, this law, if it passes, could make illegal the ownership or transportation of any semi-automatic gun because extendable magazines are available for it – and you don't even have to have the extendable mags.
(source)

Unsurprisingly, a lot of Virginians are outraged by the idea of this and discussion of a "grandfather clause" that allows you to keep your semi-autos as long as you register them has done nothing to assuage the ire of gun owners.

Counties across the state quickly organized into Second Amendment sanctuaries – as of Dec. 16, 89 counties, cities, or municipalities have passed "sanctuary" resolutions and 6 have passed resolutions to protect the Second Amendment rights of citizens, but refuse to use the word "sanctuary." Other locations are still debating their stances.

Map from Gun Rights Watch

Then to really stir the pot, State Representative Donald MacEachin had the bright idea of calling up the National Guard to squelch the rebellion.

McEachin also noted that Democratic Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam could call the National Guard, if necessary.

"And ultimately, I'm not the governor, but the governor may have to nationalize the National Guard to enforce the law," he said. "That's his call, because I don't know how serious these counties are and how severe the violations of law will be. But that's obviously an option he has."
(source)

As you can imagine, that didn't go over well.

Cool
legendary
December 14, 2019, 04:39:41 PM
perhaps the problem that needs attention is clearly the individual of the person who will obtain or may use weapons. What is clear is that it is very important that anyone who is allowed to use a weapon can control himself so that he is not arbitrary in using the weapon. so it takes a psychological test to be able to determine that the person may use it, because it can be guaranteed to him the use of weapons only when very necessary may be used. every rule is issued, of course, to guarantee that no misuse may occur at any time.

Yabut. The psychologists who administer the tests are licensed by government. So, if they don't want to lose their licenses, they have to do it the way government says. Yet one of the basic, original reasons for guns in the hands of common people, was to be used to protect themselves against government. So, your whole idea doesn't make sense.

Cool
Activity: 1708
Merit: 105
December 14, 2019, 03:46:22 PM
perhaps the problem that needs attention is clearly the individual of the person who will obtain or may use weapons. What is clear is that it is very important that anyone who is allowed to use a weapon can control himself so that he is not arbitrary in using the weapon. so it takes a psychological test to be able to determine that the person may use it, because it can be guaranteed to him the use of weapons only when very necessary may be used. every rule is issued, of course, to guarantee that no misuse may occur at any time.
legendary
December 11, 2019, 09:08:28 AM
This is what gun control allows to happen. Average folks need to have guns to repel criminals. If the shoppers had guns, the criminals would have died faster, the cop might never have been shot, and the hours-long shootout would have only taken a couple of minutes.

6 Dead In Hours-Long Shootout At Jersey City Kosher Grocery

Reuters reports that six people have been killed, including the two shooters: (those killed include one police officer, three people who were inside the JC Kosher Supermarket when the shooting began, and both of the suspected shooters).

Jersey City Mayor Steven Fulop told a news conference that there were multiple people deceased inside the store, where suspects reportedly had holed up and exchanged gunfire with law enforcement in a standoff that lasted for hours.

Several news media outlets including the New York Times, reported six people were dead, citing unnamed law enforcement sources, but Reuters could not immediately confirm the number of casualties.

The New York Times said the dead included a police officer, three victims who were in the store and two suspected gunmen.

Local media also reported the shooting unfolded at or near the JC Kosher Supermarket, though a city official told reporters there was no evidence the bloodshed was terror-related.

Cool
legendary
December 01, 2019, 05:35:35 PM
Do you like Communism? EVERYBODY is in authority. After all, government doesn't tell you what to wear today, or what to have for breakfast, or anything else. The public is in authority, except in China.
Cool

the FDA DO ban many food items and also suggest what kind of crappy processed foods schools should sell to kids

gotta laugh. kids not allowed to buy a kinder egg(chocolate egg with a toy inside) but kids can go to a gun range and learn to shoot

As long as you continue to use freeman arguments to support everything you do, you know you will fail.

Cool
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
November 29, 2019, 08:09:46 PM
Do you like Communism? EVERYBODY is in authority. After all, government doesn't tell you what to wear today, or what to have for breakfast, or anything else. The public is in authority, except in China.
Cool

the FDA DO ban many food items and also suggest what kind of crappy processed foods schools should sell to kids

gotta laugh. kids not allowed to buy a kinder egg(chocolate egg with a toy inside) but kids can go to a gun range and learn to shoot
legendary
November 29, 2019, 07:39:05 PM
In Singapore, no one is allowed to have gun - only the authority (police etc) can have. Thus, there is no need to be afraid that someone would came into your house and start shooting. You say the police? Well.. Singapore wain the top ten least corruption list 2014..

So, I think other country should implant the same law Singapore have. No one should be allowed to have gun.

Singapore banned chewing gum and will also cane you for not flushing a public toilet. Sounds like laws every country should aspire to.

I agree, I think guns are for people with authority. Yes, individual wants to own guns for their safety or self defense, but I think it is unnecessary. But the government cannot control who may own gun since there are gun smugglingvand illegal selling of guns everywhere

Cool
Activity: 37
Merit: 0
November 29, 2019, 07:06:35 PM
In Singapore, no one is allowed to have gun - only the authority (police etc) can have. Thus, there is no need to be afraid that someone would came into your house and start shooting. You say the police? Well.. Singapore wain the top ten least corruption list 2014..

So, I think other country should implant the same law Singapore have. No one should be allowed to have gun.

Singapore banned chewing gum and will also cane you for not flushing a public toilet. Sounds like laws every country should aspire to.

I agree, I think guns are for people with authority. Yes, individual wants to own guns for their safety or self defense, but I think it is unnecessary. But the government cannot control who may own gun since there are gun smugglingvand illegal selling of guns everywhere
legendary
November 29, 2019, 08:34:11 AM
The surge is

/\
        | |
/\/\| |  /\
           \/

badecker. your the kind of person that calls the green diagonal a surge
even though you have ignored the blue previous year and in context of 'surges' you completely ignore what a real surge looks like(red)

sorry but in my eye the green is just a return to norm

You really need to define your times of the surge. Is your surge for just one minute? Or maybe a whole day?

The surge hasn't stopped in years... not since Obama was elected and started all kinds of attempted gun control measures.

Cool
legendary
Activity: 4270
Merit: 4534
November 28, 2019, 09:01:26 PM
The surge is

/\
        | |
/\/\| |  /\
           \/

badecker. your the kind of person that calls the green diagonal a surge
even though you have ignored the blue previous year and in context of 'surges' you completely ignore what a real surge looks like(red)

sorry but in my eye the green is just a return to norm
legendary
November 27, 2019, 09:30:12 PM
guns sales surge?

um sorry but stats from the PDF the quote was talking about do not state a surge. infact there was a surge in 2012 and 2016 but numbers have been lower and more stable on other years

EG 2018 went down. making 2019 up be treated as just a flatline of other years average

Average people who buy guns don't go out and buy more guns year after year after year. The surge is apparent because it is mostly new buyers. But if it is second-time buyers, it's still a surge. None of these people had to buy anything. They simply keep on surging into the gun-buying arena.

You completely run around the point. Wake up.

Cool
Pages:
Jump to: