Pages:
Author

Topic: Who likes pod miners? - page 29. (Read 55853 times)

legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
May 16, 2017, 10:11:55 PM
I do have my own pick-and-place. I farm out nothing. If I sell it, it was designed and manufactured in-house. Were this not the case, I wouldn't be talking about using up all my time with manufacturing.
Activity: 534
Merit: 500
May 16, 2017, 10:09:44 PM
No, that would take years. But there's still a lot of manual processes and a buttload of assembly steps, being as it's a double-sided board with salvage chips, USB jack, heatsink and stock voltage setting with three testing steps.
Are you farming out the work?  I was just curious.  Maybe you have your own pick and place or whatever they call it?
legendary
May 16, 2017, 10:08:25 PM
No, that would take years. But there's still a lot of manual processes and a buttload of assembly steps, being as it's a double-sided board with salvage chips, USB jack, heatsink and stock voltage setting with three testing steps.
May 16, 2017, 09:57:48 PM
All y'all wanting to be on the waiting list will have to wait a bit longer. I won't start a waiting list until it's proven ready. Once I announce that, make sure to come back and let me know.

Even though I proved base functionality of the new version last week, I don't have a new PCB down yet. Last week I also got orders for the entire rest of this batch of 2Pacs at the same time my assembly minion decided to bail so I'm a bit backed up. Gonna be making time this week to test out a few new things I want to integrate into the Terminus final design, but I also got about 500 2Pacs to assemble post-haste without my trusty ass*cough*istant to help so it's definitely juggling time.
Are you hand soldering everything?  I wouldn't mind a PCB I could assemble. 
legendary
May 16, 2017, 09:25:44 PM
All y'all wanting to be on the waiting list will have to wait a bit longer. I won't start a waiting list until it's proven ready. Once I announce that, make sure to come back and let me know.

Even though I proved base functionality of the new version last week, I don't have a new PCB down yet. Last week I also got orders for the entire rest of this batch of 2Pacs at the same time my assembly minion decided to bail so I'm a bit backed up. Gonna be making time this week to test out a few new things I want to integrate into the Terminus final design, but I also got about 500 2Pacs to assemble post-haste without my trusty ass*cough*istant to help so it's definitely juggling time.
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
May 16, 2017, 09:17:51 PM
bitten by the crypto mining bug again.  Looks like a sweet project!   Sign me up for a couple of these when they are available.
May 16, 2017, 08:39:52 AM
I would really like one of these.  How do I get on the list or prepay?
Activity: 594
Merit: 506
May 11, 2017, 03:54:14 PM
True dat.
legendary
May 11, 2017, 01:55:33 PM
Yeah but it's better when things go right in February instead of May.
Activity: 594
Merit: 506
May 11, 2017, 01:46:00 PM
Nice one Sidehack, always good when things go right. I'm glad you kept the Terminus name, I do prefer it Smiley Fingers crossed I can be in on the first samples.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000
May 11, 2017, 11:40:46 AM
YUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

I want 3 16nm pod miners RAWRRRRRRRRRR HASH MAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Hash man!
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
May 11, 2017, 12:20:36 AM
I had a nice day.

I rearranged the solar array with buysolar

Half done.

I took back 2 compacs and gave him a gpu.

So I now have three compacs and a 2pac running on klintays 19 port hub.

I moved optimizer's 2980 breakout board that has been running two s9s since dec from buysolar's basement up into the array.

Tomorrow we will move the avalons and a s7 and 1/3 of a s9. All into the array.

I will move some gpu rigs out of my garage.

This will let me run sidehacks gear in my garage for the summer.

Looking for a few pods.
Activity: 79
Merit: 18
May 11, 2017, 12:03:53 AM
I'm definitely interested in 100 watts worth of the 16 nm, maybe the BM1384 version if they're going to be a few months.
Activity: 578
Merit: 501
May 10, 2017, 11:38:57 PM
Awesome! It is nice to hear you are having success.
Activity: 307
Merit: 250
May 10, 2017, 10:16:22 PM
Cut & paste good ref design and save the day.
Nothing work without stable power.

Well done!

Activity: 13
Merit: 0
May 10, 2017, 08:15:24 PM
That's very good news indeed!
legendary
May 10, 2017, 07:49:54 PM
Well I don't know about you guys, but today has been a pretty good day for me.

One reason being I just got in about 300 2Pacs worth of chips, another reason being selling 350 2Pacs. Not to brag or anything. But it's great news because that puts money in the bank that I can use for dev funding! Which was the whole point!

Anyways, the other big reason is the sample buck modules arrived today. I've got two hacked-up Terminus pods running stable at 275MHz. I think the current is just a shade too high (especially once it warms up) to run 300MHz off that module, but so far I'm quite pleased with the performance. Gonna take one home with me even.

So I'm gonna make some adjustments to the PCB to integrate that module and a few other changes and hopefully by end of next week I'll have a short batch of prototype boards inbound. So that's pretty cool.
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 1001
May 09, 2017, 05:34:54 AM
I'm sure Bitfury has had these chips for quite sometime but wanted to only deal with BIG money,that has kinda dried up,so they now are lowering their standards to just above the home miner scum line.
legendary
Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.
May 06, 2017, 03:35:11 PM
Bitfury 16nm process node chips are a real deal, check out my review link in my signature.
Activity: 79
Merit: 18
May 06, 2017, 03:31:51 PM

If you didn't already have your hands on a few of these things I'd suspect they didn't really exist.  The page at http://bitfury.com/products#16nm-asic sorta sounds evasive and run on a shoestring looking for investors.  No datasheets?  I found this Google translation of a page in Russian from 2013 that sounds like they expect the chips any day 4 years ago.  https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&u=https://forum.bits.media/index.php%3F/topic/2464-all-kiev-prodazha-asic-chips-diy-kits-miners-magazin-bitbonanzaco-ofitcialnyi-dis/&prev=search  Almost sounds like the whole thing could be a scam.  They're claiming 100GH/s per chip with an efficiency of 0.06J/GH.  I'd like to see 100 watts worth of those.  I probably couldn't afford it.

I've been RTFMing back discussions.  Got myself a 2pac from HolyBitcoin, it's sitting here idling along at 150 MHz, just came yesterday.  Slushpool says 39 years to payout (A whole BTC or what?).  Meanwhile my $62 used Gridseed has made 0.1357 LTC.  It's hard to judge how the hash rates and difficulties and market values on the currency work out.

Power connectors, what about just a pair of binding posts on standard 3/4 inch centers?  You can put up to about 14 gauge wire into them, don't have to solder, you can use double banana plugs as quick disconnects, stack them, run 20 amps through them.  It seems like a misuse of USB connectors, like the problems microusbs have had in Pis and Kindles, trying to push 2 amps through them.  I look at the problems people have had with hubs that boil down to not enough power and it's like power problems in Pis.

If you're going to build something around a Pi I'd definitely feed power in through the GPIO, you might be able to make use of some of those pins too.  Temperature and voltage control, switching, but that would make the whole thing dependent on using a Pi.  I'm just lurking and waiting for the 16 nm stuff to start coming out.  Seems like the best thing to do with this stuff is forget about it and let it run for a month or so, stop looking every 10 minutes.  It's like watching paint dry.
Pages:
Jump to: