Pages:
Author

Topic: Who likes pod miners? - page 31. (Read 55853 times)

legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 3848
April 29, 2017, 09:54:25 PM
the idea to put a header on Terminus for pi sounds awesome...what kind of header it could be?
pi has micro-usb and GPIO
pi zero W has just micro-usb, but has GPIO pinout

for regular pi (powering):
https://www.modmypi.com/blog/how-do-i-power-my-raspberry-pi
for pi zero W (GPIO options):
https://learn.adafruit.com/introducing-the-raspberry-pi-zero/gpio-header-options

aka lots of options for tinkering  Grin

Personally, i like the idea of using pi zero W because you can just toss the whole thing in room's corner and not bother with much of ethernet cabling.
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
April 29, 2017, 09:44:20 PM
Couple more tweaks to the buck and I just hit 325MHz. It's running off a Pi right now, gonna take it home and see how it fares - see if the fan's annoying, if temps stay reasonable, whatever.
Activity: 307
Merit: 250
April 29, 2017, 08:37:24 PM
In line for 1 or 2. I like the idea to be able to power a Pi, clean setup
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'
April 29, 2017, 07:44:08 PM
I think there'll be room for it but no guarantees yet, but I'm gonna look into putting a small buck on there instead of a linear regulator for 5V needs (USB, LEDs etc). That would increase the cost slightly but would also increase efficiency slightly - and the real significance is that would increase the 5V current capacity without something catching on fire, so I could put a header on there that one could use to power a Pi without requiring a second adapter. Be handy for a more standalone setup, especially if your Pi had wireless, which I think Biodom among others has been pushing for.

looking forward to using this gear.
legendary
April 29, 2017, 02:33:38 PM
I think there'll be room for it but no guarantees yet, but I'm gonna look into putting a small buck on there instead of a linear regulator for 5V needs (USB, LEDs etc). That would increase the cost slightly but would also increase efficiency slightly - and the real significance is that would increase the 5V current capacity without something catching on fire, so I could put a header on there that one could use to power a Pi without requiring a second adapter. Be handy for a more standalone setup, especially if your Pi had wireless, which I think Biodom among others has been pushing for.
Activity: 98
Merit: 10
April 29, 2017, 01:57:44 PM
Id love one
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
April 29, 2017, 12:53:41 PM
Once I have samples of the new PCB in hand and they're tested to work, I may do a "limited first run" sale of them, maybe a dozen or so, to put toward a full batch.
Sign me up for one Smiley
Activity: 38
Merit: 0
April 29, 2017, 12:06:52 PM
quiet is good but stability is more important to me...just my 2 coppers. Also great job progressing along...can hardly wait to get one to do my fraggle rock test on. lol
Activity: 578
Merit: 501
April 29, 2017, 06:53:00 AM
Once I have samples of the new PCB in hand and they're tested to work, I may do a "limited first run" sale of them, maybe a dozen or so, to put toward a full batch.

Good thing about the Terminus design is, about 80% of the components transfer over from the 2Pac. It's basically if you wired 4 2Pacs together, the only thing you'd need to replace is the main Vcore regulator. So I already have enough of most things to get started at least. The biggest hindrance, as always, is chips, but people have turned out with S5 boards lately that put me well over the top for the 2Pac batch and, if the really big one finally works out, I'd have enough chips for several hundred Terminus already. Since 2Pac manufacture delays were traced pretty much directly to ASIC availability and reliability of installation, both of which are now solved, Terminus manufacture should go much much faster overall.

Once Bitfury 16nm stuff starts talking enough for a Compac, it'll be almost trivial to port over to a Terminus as well. The most complex things will be communication and power; power is being solved right now, and communication will be a direct copy from the stickminer.

If the Terminus prototype can be made to run 300MHz (132GH) stable and reliable off VH's new freq-step code, I'm calling it good. Though I should probably run it in a quiet environment and see if the fans are annoying. That's something people care about, right?
It sounds like you are making good progress. If you are still accepting the same payment methods as you did for the stick miners, I would love to purchase and test two of your "limited first run" sale units, or only one unit if you want to be able to spread them among more folks.
Activity: 2492
Merit: 621
April 29, 2017, 05:36:22 AM
I cant answer for anyone else but being a quiet pod miner would always be beneficial for me. But im happy woth the noise range upto your modded S7LN.
legendary
April 29, 2017, 12:15:22 AM

Good thing about the Terminus design is, about 80% of the components transfer over from the 2Pac. It's basically if you wired 4 2Pacs together, the only thing you'd need to replace is the main Vcore regulator. So I already have enough of most things to get started at least. The biggest hindrance, as always, is chips, but people have turned out with S5 boards lately that put me well over the top for the 2Pac batch and, if the really big one finally works out, I'd have enough chips for several hundred Terminus already. Since 2Pac manufacture delays were traced pretty much directly to ASIC availability and reliability of installation, both of which are now solved, Terminus manufacture should go much much faster overall.

Once Bitfury 16nm stuff starts talking enough for a Compac, it'll be almost trivial to port over to a Terminus as well. The most complex things will be communication and power; power is being solved right now, and communication will be a direct copy from the stickminer.

If the Terminus prototype can be made to run 300MHz (132GH) stable and reliable off VH's new freq-step code, I'm calling it good. Though I should probably run it in a quiet environment and see if the fans are annoying. That's something people care about, right?
Activity: 578
Merit: 501
April 29, 2017, 12:03:42 AM
I was thinking more like metalwork, but hey you works with what you gots and my background is in construction.

Case anyone cares, 250MHz means 110GH. http://www.kano.is/worker.php?a=1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr_terminus2

Hopefully I can do some more tweaking tomorrow and get it up to full speed.
I was going to ask that very question, but I figured you had already stated it somewhere else.
legendary
April 28, 2017, 11:20:26 PM
I was thinking more like metalwork, but hey you works with what you gots and my background is in construction.

Case anyone cares, 250MHz means 110GH. http://www.kano.is/worker.php?a=1BURGERAXHH6Yi6LRybRJK7ybEm5m5HwTr_terminus2

Hopefully I can do some more tweaking tomorrow and get it up to full speed.
Activity: 307
Merit: 250
April 28, 2017, 07:37:20 PM
That one will have mounting holes for if someone conjures up a case, means for better potentiometer access, stuff like that.

Good for 3D printer  Smiley
Activity: 214
Merit: 100
1KippERXwH1PdBxKNt1ksgqh89WBv6CtWQ
April 28, 2017, 07:05:38 PM
Further tests are required to probe the limits and - more specifically - the reasons for those limits, but my version-2 Terminus is currently on Kano.is pushing 250MHz. I've touched 275MHz on it, where the hacked model can see 325MHz from the same voltage, so there's still some limitation in the regulator that I need to play with. VH hooked me up with some improved stepping code that smooths things out a bit, and I did some jimmying on the hardware itself.

Oh and I should probably test the overtemp protection too one of these days.

If I can get this guy stable and reliable at 300-325MHz, I'll send off for what I hope is the final version PCB. That one will have mounting holes for if someone conjures up a case, means for better potentiometer access, stuff like that. Some of that's gonna have to wait a bit though because manufacturing and also manufacturing.

However - right now, I'm very pleased.

Can't wait to get my hands on a couple of these.
legendary
April 28, 2017, 05:12:17 PM
Further tests are required to probe the limits and - more specifically - the reasons for those limits, but my version-2 Terminus is currently on Kano.is pushing 250MHz. I've touched 275MHz on it, where the hacked model can see 325MHz from the same voltage, so there's still some limitation in the regulator that I need to play with. VH hooked me up with some improved stepping code that smooths things out a bit, and I did some jimmying on the hardware itself.

Oh and I should probably test the overtemp protection too one of these days.

If I can get this guy stable and reliable at 300-325MHz, I'll send off for what I hope is the final version PCB. That one will have mounting holes for if someone conjures up a case, means for better potentiometer access, stuff like that. Some of that's gonna have to wait a bit though because manufacturing and also manufacturing.

However - right now, I'm very pleased.
Activity: 211
Merit: 100
April 24, 2017, 11:14:57 AM
Great work Sidehack!!

Can't wait to pick up a few of these when available..
Activity: 178
Merit: 12
April 24, 2017, 08:57:59 AM
The new Terminus is definitely better, but I'm still having issues at higher power levels. My test board is sitting comfy at 150MHz (66GH) 26W including fans but it doesn't like pushing higher than that without locking up the string - usually that means voltage sag. Hopefully it's something that can be ironed out without another PCB redesign.

the BF pod miner is what I want, maybe that will be the solution with lower power requirements.

legendary
Activity: 1819
Merit: 5547
Neighborhood Shenanigans Dispenser
April 23, 2017, 09:42:57 PM
I like you (not in that way), and think you are a really swell forum-member doing great things in the community.

I would like to subscribe to your newsletter, please.

Would love to pick up one of your Bitfury-based pods if/when they materialize.

Good luck !
Activity: 35
Merit: 0
April 24, 2017, 01:00:37 AM
sidehack -

I've read every post in this thread, and also your 2pac thread (among others).
i'm thoroughly impressed.
have you seriously created robots/'minions' to help strip chips from board and drill holes to increase your productivity (rhetorical)?

after a lot of lurking, I've created an account to subscribe to this thread, and will be eager to follow your progress with the terminus. you said you're not into big/"1000w" machines, but this has some real potential!
Pages:
Jump to: