Pages:
Author

Topic: Why the fuck do we still use cash? - page 5. (Read 6679 times)

Activity: 3
Merit: 0
June 01, 2014, 10:20:22 AM
Well, personally I only use cash to pay for bus tickets.
Activity: 1
June 01, 2014, 07:23:13 AM
It's just a matter of time before cash aint king no more..
Just look at Ulvaeus and the ABBA museum, a step in the right direction I think!
http://www.abbathemuseum.com/se/cashless
Activity: 196
Merit: 101
May 31, 2014, 09:14:40 AM
We will stop to use cash when bitcoin or other cryptos will be known and used worldwide.
Now we are still in the starting phase of crypto development, just let the word spread around and then you will say goodbye to cash.
Activity: 616
Merit: 250
May 31, 2014, 06:37:33 AM
Why do you ask?

Are you yet another shill here to talk us out of using any cash at all?

Are you attempting to make this forum appear vulgar to many with the F word?

By all means let the door hit you in the butt on the way out.

Let this thread die already.
=================
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1005
May 31, 2014, 05:56:07 AM
when we already have crypto currencies, master cards, paypal and other shit, why do we use cash?
Because some of us like the sound of them and way they smell Cool
BR
Activity: 1
May 27, 2014, 12:53:17 PM
Problem with most kinds of virtual money is a middle man, except of cryptos of course, however those are extremely tied to technology. As someone mentioned in times of crisis people will tend to prefer something that have (or can have) some real value - and of course I'm not talking about "paper" (fiat) money, but gold and silver. Personally I'm not using cryptos yet, I'm waiting for the times when the "speculation fever" will fall, and I will be able to use it without any risk. I'm thinking about crypto money as convenient (and safe) way to exchange work, not as an investment. And black market - I'm thinking about it as "white market", black market is definitely a pejorative term, while it is most natural way for people to exchange Tongue
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
Carpe Diem
May 27, 2014, 12:25:33 PM
You see this issue in movies all the time nowadays.  I was just watching Live Free or Die Hard and it's like people's money that is stored "electronically" you never know what can happen to it due to intentional actions or just a glitch.  Cash is something that you can have and not have to worry about it.  It cuts out the middle man too of credit card and bank fees.  So there are a lot of reasons to prefer cash.
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1007
May 26, 2014, 09:20:25 PM
Nobody can hack you cash. Some business only accept cash. Do some gas stations still offer discounts on cash purchases? Some level of anonymity, I guess. Probably other reasons as well...

I haven't heard of any gas stations giving discounts, although I do remember they used to. I think credit card companies finally stepped in (as they aren't allowed to charge more for CC, and charging less for cash was just a way around that rule). And people can steal your cash and spend it; it's just like hacking.

ah, so did they outlaw gas stations from doing that? that would be too bad. i remember a store owner friend of mine telling me about how badly he gets screwed by credit card fees and policies. doesn't sound nice....

Technically it's always been against the rules; people just didn't report them. There was a place near me that accepts credit cards for car inspections (so there's the 3.9%+ fee). The thing to note about this is that inspections are $14.50 and is regulated by the state. For the place to take $14.50 on a credit card, they are losing almost 4% of the amount. They then still have to pay $14.50 back to the state, at a loss. To compensate for this, the place accepted credit cards, as long as the purchaser would pay the fee (which put the inspector at a net change of 0). Credit card companies got a hold of that and banned the entire shop from accepting them again (MC, Visa, and Discover).
Activity: 658
May 26, 2014, 09:16:21 PM
Nobody can hack you cash. Some business only accept cash. Do some gas stations still offer discounts on cash purchases? Some level of anonymity, I guess. Probably other reasons as well...

I haven't heard of any gas stations giving discounts, although I do remember they used to. I think credit card companies finally stepped in (as they aren't allowed to charge more for CC, and charging less for cash was just a way around that rule). And people can steal your cash and spend it; it's just like hacking.

ah, so did they outlaw gas stations from doing that? that would be too bad. i remember a store owner friend of mine telling me about how badly he gets screwed by credit card fees and policies. doesn't sound nice....
legendary
May 26, 2014, 08:14:58 PM

Activity: 658
May 26, 2014, 08:08:56 PM

definitely. i mean, if you deal in any kind of black or grey market, cash is king. and small businesses love cash -- you can spend it without getting taxed!! (ahem, i mean, pay your taxes....)
Activity: 686
May 26, 2014, 08:00:02 PM
Activity: 128
Merit: 100
May 25, 2014, 06:42:56 PM
cause it makes the rich richer
Activity: 224
THE GAME OF CHANCE. CHANGED.
May 25, 2014, 04:43:48 PM
In time of crisis, CASH (in hand) is still king.
Activity: 126
May 25, 2014, 04:05:50 PM
You use cash because sometimes you have to use cash
This is the best answer you can ever get!
Activity: 784
May 25, 2014, 03:25:37 PM
Same reason we still have landlines, vinyl records and fax machines
Activity: 78
Merit: 10
May 24, 2014, 11:21:12 PM
it's something in people's nature, I guess, usually we think it s safer that you have your money just here in your pocket, it s something that you can touch, and it s only yours, I know it s stupid, but anyway, we are still a little bit afraid of  that horror things like cash machine or  bank account  when we are talking about really big sum of money Undecided Sad
legendary
May 24, 2014, 09:27:04 PM
are you telling me you have never had a bank note in your pocket for the last 5 years?

if you have had bank notes in the last 5 years, your own reason for having it, is your own answer you request.

I actually haven't used cash in years now. I only use credit or debit for everything... makes keeping up with finances easier, makes transactions cleaner, and there is much less risk than carrying around money.

So what's the answer in my case? :p.
Activity: 210
May 24, 2014, 09:23:19 PM
when we already have crypto currencies, master cards, paypal and other shit, why do we use cash?
Because most humans are sheep
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Knowledge is Power
May 24, 2014, 04:42:49 PM
Because it has a hundreds-of-years-old system built around it. People like consistency and stability, and this system has existed in various forms for over a thousand years (beginning with China's creation of first paper money). People inside this system (bankers, investors, business, etc) benefit from it and oppose anything that wants to create a new system.

From a technical standpoint, we should be using cryptocurrencies for everything because they are superior, at least when we figure out how to make transactions instant. But we are not an entirely rational species, and the old system has a lot of people vested in its survival.
Pages:
Jump to: