Pages:
Author

Topic: Why the fuck do we still use cash? - page 7. (Read 6679 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
May 21, 2014, 07:01:24 PM
Not everyone owns a smart phone in 3rd world country.
Activity: 165
May 21, 2014, 05:58:42 PM
Cash is more convenient in many parts of the world.

Activity: 123
May 21, 2014, 05:49:22 PM
Say you used one credit card for all your transactions and say you used it at Target this past holiday season. Then say that you were one of the folks whose credit card company said: "We're cancelling your current card and will send you a new one." What, exactly, would you use to pay for things until the new card arrived? That's one reason for cash.

Say you're dining out and say that the power goes out, or simply the credit card processing companies are down when you try to pay. What do you do? If you actually carry cash, you have a significantly smaller problem.

The problem with credit/debit cards is that they are entirely dependent on services being up 24/7. Bitcoin has a similar problem but with less opportunities for problems. Cash on the other hand (and I'm talking about the paper version not the 1s and 0s that banks count as 'cash') doesn't rely on anything of the sort. There are too many points in the credit card transaction process where a point failure can cause significant problems.

So, we still use cash because it can be used when credit/debit cards cannot. Assuming, of course, that the recipient knows how to count (and make change in the case of retail outlets).

Then there are those who prefer that there not be an electronic trail of all their purchases. With the Government trying to pin the 'terrorist' flag on everyone from those trying to be self-sufficient to those trying to prepare for a potential catastrophe, a lot of those folks prefer a cash purchase with no other records than their receipt and their name uninvolved and unrecorded.

On a side note, has anyone else ever realized the humor in FEMA advising everyone to prepare for X number of days in case of a natural disaster while other branches of the government say that those who do things like that sort of preparation are potential terrorists? It's almost enough to make you cry, unless you're already cynical about government in general.

Thralen
Activity: 434
Merit: 511
May 21, 2014, 04:03:16 PM
Because there are still debts to be paid, and the people that control the money and debt.
I think they dont want paper money to be gone, And Im thinking for a long time that paper cash sucks,
before Bitcoin even existed.
Activity: 179
May 21, 2014, 01:47:52 PM
Cash still have the lowest fee - 0 and untraceable.

CC transaction has fee, so is btc.
Activity: 518
Merit: 250
May 21, 2014, 01:11:02 PM
when we already have crypto currencies, master cards, paypal and other shit, why do we use cash?

Because not every shop accepts bitcoin as of yet. The same applies to machines.. for example, various machines do not accept creditcards.
Cash has traditionally been used as currency, anyone from the youngest to the oldest can use it. Im not so sure a 7 year old can open a paypal or creditcard account.  Smiley
Activity: 770
Merit: 504
(っ◔◡◔)っ🍪
May 21, 2014, 11:38:47 AM
I read somewhere that "The most evil secret society in the world"* wanted to change all the payment options and all money to be digital, so they could wipe the power grid and bring back slavery.

I don't mind physical assets.

*I'm not a conspiracy-nut. It's a quote from the source.

Well, recently Poland's central bank said people use too much cash, they proposed to lower the max amount for cash transactions from 15k € to 1k €. Plus there is going to be digital currency introduced soon; the same can happen in any EU country.
Hmmm...
Activity: 70
Merit: 10
May 19, 2014, 10:37:55 AM
when we already have crypto currencies, master cards, paypal and other shit, why do we use cash?

Use cash whenever u want to also btc or other currency.
Activity: 616
Merit: 500
May 18, 2014, 08:16:20 PM
paypals and credit cards introduces taxes, and not everyone is willing or able to have them(you need to have credit and identity avaliations). Even cryptos have transfer taxes

paypals and credit cards aren't easily avaliable in all globe

not everyone is into computer and stuff

not everyone trusts virtual payments

with plastic money you can't hide how much you spend from the gov

some people just can't control themselves when they have credit card, so ends up endivided and puts the guilty on the credit cards

you can't buy illegal stuff like durgs and falsified stuff with credit cards

Activity: 345
Trusted Member
May 18, 2014, 03:07:56 PM
Maybe when the cryptocoins arent too volatile or complex for some to understand
Activity: 322
May 18, 2014, 03:06:04 PM
We still use cash because it is convenient and we derive security from being able to physically see and hold our money.
legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
May 18, 2014, 12:49:29 PM

Cash is great compared to credit cards and paypal. Why hate on cash? If things go the wrong way in the future we might look back on the days we could transact anonymously in cash fondly.
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1003
May 18, 2014, 12:00:35 PM

Personally, unless I can use Bitcoin, I prefer to use cash. Although I rarely care about this, cash is more anonymous than Bitcoin.
May 18, 2014, 11:51:48 AM

I don't use cash. I always buy things online or use debit card.
Your government thanks you for being a good upstanding citizen that allows them to know all about you.
Ikea thanks you for the targeted advertising opportunity.
What is the problem with giving the full information to government about the transactions?? It will help the fair one and will help in punishing the person who does wrong.
If it needs to be explained you wouldn't understand still.
TheSlimShady
May 18, 2014, 11:20:31 AM

Your government thanks you for being a good upstanding citizen that allows them to know all about you.
What is the problem with giving the full information to government about the transactions?? It will help the fair one and will help in punishing the person who does wrong.
May 18, 2014, 10:26:45 AM

TheSlimShady
May 18, 2014, 09:04:49 AM

well thats like a nice boy.. keep it up
Activity: 280
May 18, 2014, 08:50:44 AM

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007
May 18, 2014, 08:49:13 AM
I use cash because if the power goes out (But the government remains in power) how the fack are you going to pay for anything? We have a long way to go before credit cards can be used during power outages.

I read somewhere that "The most evil secret society in the world"* wanted to change all the payment options and all money to be digital, so they could wipe the power grid and bring back slavery.

I don't mind physical assets.

*I'm not a conspiracy-nut. It's a quote from the source.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1278
May 17, 2014, 09:52:05 AM
Americans love plastic. It's absurd even to europeans.

I use cash because I don't like having debt. Plastic is too convenient, cash forces you to think about your finances and makes it impossible to spend more than you have.
Pages:
Jump to: