Pages:
Author

Topic: Why you don't need to HODL or trade Bitcoin - page 6. (Read 1146 times)

Activity: 896
Merit: 104
The Standard Protocol - Solving Inflation
I don't know how you came about this conclusion but  what I can say is that it's totally absurd. If you'll compare Ethereum to Bitcoin, then you'll need to compare their price movement over the years. Look at what bitcoin achieved in its first five years and compare it to that of Ethereum.
Compare the price movement of bitcoin in the last five years to that of Ethereum and determine which has more potential. I don't know why you'd think Ethereum has more potential than bitcoin when Ethereum is still under $2000 and bitcoin has break $50k. 
If you however think Ethereum is better than bitcoin, then good for you.
Activity: 252
Merit: 113
NFTs on Sale: https://bit.ly/2POlV17
You're just trolling, right?  Your posting does not make any sense whatsoever otherwise.
copper member
Activity: 2968
Merit: 574
www.Crypto.Games: Multiple coins, multiple games
So, do you have some sort of personal vendetta against bitcoin or something? You are clearly telling people not to hold bitcoin, but to hold other altcoins. That makes zero sense at all. In fact, it has been seen that bitcoin is actually a better store of value than any other altcoins. I was expecting you to shill for some altcoins, but looks like you are an Ethereum fanboy. At least you aren't promoting some shitty altcoins.
What what is this "disaster" you are talking about? What makes you think that Ethereum would be able to survive, but not Bitcoin?
Activity: 2940
Merit: 657
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
But that's it, bitcoin is the firstborn and it's the most adopted and accepted crypto in the world. It wouldn't change the fact of what you're saying but that's it.

And another fact that all of the new coins including the older ones only took the idea of bitcoin.
Seashells were the firstborn, adopted, and accepted currency in history, aswell as, rice, silver, and gold. But this is not reject the fact that they have weaknesses, that in long-term, made them not valuable or practical. Paper money replaced gold cause of convinience. Cryptocurrencies is intended to replace fiat, but Bitcoin have long-term issues, that i described earlier.
There is nothing wrong to modificate ideas of Bitcoin to make better crypto.
There has been debates about that and changes.

I think I'm seeing the improvements of it and that made bitcoin better this time. There will be an unending modification based from the thought of everyone but it cannot replace those facts that I've also mentioned.
Activity: 2954
Merit: 672
Message @Hhampuz if you are looking for a CM!
Well, I think OP is not really a fan of Bitcoin. All your suggestions and protection towards Bitcoin haven't good for him.

We don't need to argue why we hold Bitcoin or not. OP has already decided what could be the best coin for him and he should keep and trust it. It is not this time we have to see the result and to knows who wins either the Bitcoin holder or ETH holder (OP).

We all are here for a reason and most of us are here for investment. And we are free to choose which one seems to be best and profitable. Because for me, I hold and traded them both.
Activity: 2128
Merit: 180
A year ago, I did not believe that bitcoin would be able to reach its ATH of 20 thousand dollars. Today, I have no doubt that the price of BTC will reach 100 thousand dollars and which is not the maximum for bitcoin. Given this potential for BTC growth, both traders and investors will be able to make a profit. Which of them will eventually earn more is a topic of a separate conversation.
This is also my realization and this situation pushes me to hold more Bitcoin because the bull trend with Bitcoin is inevitable and its too painful to watch the price trend if you don't have Bitcoin on your portfolio.

There's no wrong in holding, and study says holding are more profitable compare to trading in the long term, and with Bitcoin that's proven and tested. I know there's a lot of good altcoins, that's why there's a strategy that suggest you to diversify, this can also work for you.
Activity: 1694
Merit: 516

First: why not to HODL Bitcoin?
HODLing require from you to hold long position for years. You assume that the price will go up long-term. But why it should go up? General reason for that assumption is that many and many people, enthusiasts, developers, investors, organizations of the whole world get to recognize Bitcoin more. This results to encreasing money flow and price. But in essence, what Bitcoin exactly can give? Of course, decentralizaton, self emission, a bit privacy. But Bitcoin lack some features, that other cryptocurrencies have. Bitcoin can't give people enough transaction speed and convinience. Bitcoin can't give developers convinient methods to build applications. Bitcoin can't help organizations and investors get rid of the fear that this is all just a bubble.
Bitcoin is important step to revolution of the whole financial system, but not the last. It exists now, because not many people understand that Bitcoin is relic of the past. Ethereum is much more promising than Bitcoin with it's smart-contracts. HODL Ethereum not Bitcoin, when the disaster comes, Bitcoin won't survive.

I understand your motivation for holding Ethereum instead of Bitcoins, but why not just hold both? You say that other crypto currencies are better than Bitcoins, but you are forgetting that for many people Bitcoins are the Crypto Currency. There is just no way around it. The last few months should have been the best example of why holding Bitcoins is a good idea. Personally, I will keep holding both ETH and BTC. Also, I prefer holding coins long term and not to trade too much.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1655
To the Moon
A year ago, I did not believe that bitcoin would be able to reach its ATH of 20 thousand dollars. Today, I have no doubt that the price of BTC will reach 100 thousand dollars and which is not the maximum for bitcoin. Given this potential for BTC growth, both traders and investors will be able to make a profit. Which of them will eventually earn more is a topic of a separate conversation.
Activity: 2870
Merit: 556
I believe we all have our own choice for our bitcoin, whether we want to hold or trade. We know what we should do with bitcoin, and besides of hold bitcoin, I am sure many of us also hold the other coins that can increase. I hold bitcoin for years, but I also trade bitcoin to earn more bitcoin and hold it for more. I did too with the altcoin because I am using crypto for short, medium, and long-term investment. Whenever I see the price can surge to high price, I sell for some amount and take my profit, while I will wait for the other time to buy back the coin at a low price.

If you ask about what Bitcoin exactly can give? I will say that bitcoin provides us with a chance to make money from the internet because we live to need money, and while people busy making money from their offline, we have another way to make money.
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 2313
ETH shares the exact same on-chain problems as Bitcoin. If you think Bitcoin is outdated, then ETH also is. The thing is though, the only solution to their problems is reducing their decentralization levels. If you want them to be super fast and super cheap, then they need to be super centralized as well. You just cannot have all three.
Strange statement, Ethereum not shares all problems with Bitcoin. Just think a bit, why are there so many cryptocurrencies developed at different times? You really think that they were developed, just so developers can profit from it? You right! But not all crypto were developed for that purpose. Litecoin, Bitcoin cash, Ethereum, Monero, and many others were developed to mitigate drawbacks of Bitcoin, but have their own issues aswell. I think it's not impossible for some cryptocurrency to be decentralized, fast, cheap, and convenient, if developers are trying to improve base ideas of Bitcoin.

ETH is almost as expensive as bitcoin to operate. People who say Bitcoin is very expensive also not using ETH anymore. They use other currencies and they are either very centralized or nobody is using it so there is more room. Litecoin, Bitcoin Cash or Monero will also have the same problems as Bitcoin once more people start using them. (btw BCH is more centralized than the others because of its block size)

Decentralized, fast, cheap.

Pick 2.

You can't have all.
Activity: 2086
Merit: 193
Holding Bitcoin for years now, it makes me more profitable without exerting any effort so I don't have any problem with holding bitcoin, and since I make more money than my capital, I can say that its not that risky.

We all have strategies in this market, and you can't say that TA will not work because it has been used by many traders over the decades now and its already proven and tested. If you don't like bitcoin and only support altcoins, then so be it but you cannot force everyone here to follow you.
Activity: 2072
Merit: 603
Bitcoin can't help organizations and investors get rid of the fear that this is all just a bubble.
Bitcoin is important step to revolution of the whole financial system, but not the last. It exists now, because not many people understand that Bitcoin is relic of the past. Ethereum is much more promising than Bitcoin with it's smart-contracts. HODL Ethereum not Bitcoin, when the disaster comes, Bitcoin won't survive.

There is really something on your head which is not right at all mate. You are thinking completely wrong about the bitcoin. With the advancement of more enthusiasts bitcoin actually has captured more and more investor based attention. On one hand people do think that bitcoin can give rise to decentralised banks and on the other hand it has futuristic use in the share market to inter-country transfers. In this case, sky is not the limit! You never know what amazing usage might just come out if someone really push it hard. The big game!

Second: why not to trade Bitcoin?
How are you predict price of Bitcoin? TA indicators?
Ranges? Support/Resistance? Price action? Candle patterns?
[...]

HODL and trade that's what got most of the people to use bitcoin. They gotten more than enough by holding it, trading it with intra day to long term positions. In fact with my own experience I can suggest that one must try bitcoin trading and see how useful it would be to gain good position over the time.
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
I think that there's misunderstanding of my position about Bitcoin, Ethereum and alts.
I cannot blame you for having a negative impression towards Bitcoin yet I assure you that your points are wayy old and were already wrong in the current market situation.
I have no negative impression about Bitcoin. This forum exists for discussion, not the praise of Bitcoin, aswell as other crypto. I just looked at the code of Bitcoin and whitepaper a bit, looked at the history, looked at the other cryptocurrencies. I don't blame anyone that love Bitcoin, cause i love it myself. But i wanted to express more critic view, that catched my mind.
Yet you cannot just point out your ideas as it would all fall down to the fact that a user choses to invest/hold, regardless of the risk he/she already knew about. Yes, you can lose everything in investing on crypto, yet aren't you warned at the first place? Wink
Because of that, i told:
~
Tell me your opinion. Wink
I'm not ordering anyone to buy Ethereum, I'm just expressing critic and not so ordinary point of view. The last decision of what to do is on you of course, and i know about investment/trading risks, obviously, we're not kids here.

Actually it depends on someone's strategy and knowledge, you can blame for someone who hold bitcoin for long term investment because he has understood how to manage bitcoin for long term investment. Also, the stragegy that will be used seem like will be different, most of long term hold will focus on fundamental analyst not TA. Maybe they will use technical analyst but they will use high time frame.

Also, You cannot justify someone who has a strategy for short term investments or day/swing trades. Sometimes this way can make you get a huge lose, remember low time frame can be manipulated easily by some whales. They will sell their bitcoin so as will make many people take a panic selling as a solution to safe their money but it is just for a while and the whales buy back at the lowe price. This is why there is no safe 100% when you choose long term and short term strategey.
I'm not fully against the TA, if you spotted some pretty predictable property of price using the set of indicators, developed and tested trading strategy and have good money management, then of course go ahead and trade.
Just my personal opinion: long-term: Ethereum, short-term and active trading: other alts.

ETH shares the exact same on-chain problems as Bitcoin. If you think Bitcoin is outdated, then ETH also is. The thing is though, the only solution to their problems is reducing their decentralization levels. If you want them to be super fast and super cheap, then they need to be super centralized as well. You just cannot have all three.
Strange statement, Ethereum not shares all problems with Bitcoin. Just think a bit, why are there so many cryptocurrencies developed at different times? You really think that they were developed, just so developers can profit from it? You right! But not all crypto were developed for that purpose. Litecoin, Bitcoin cash, Ethereum, Monero, and many others were developed to mitigate drawbacks of Bitcoin, but have their own issues aswell. I think it's not impossible for some cryptocurrency to be decentralized, fast, cheap, and convenient, if developers are trying to improve base ideas of Bitcoin.

I believe you are a true Ethereum fan and cannot be denied. Not everyone sees bitcoin based solely on the benefits it will get. Those who only see the benefits are ordinary people who are new to bitcoin and not the technology. Remember that Ethereum is still dependent on bitcoin and other altcoins are dependent on bitcoin. Currently cryptocurrency is very far developed and new innovations continue to emerge. Remember that vitalik buterin was also inspired by Satoshi Nakamoto with his bitcoins. There's nothing to argue about anymore. Bitcoin, etehreum or any other altcoin have their own advantages and disadvantages.
I'm not Ethereum "fan", I'm not even the "fan" of crypto. I'm researching and learning cryptocurrencies aswell as you all do. I just take it seriously, not as someone that too "excited" or making "fun" of it. This is not bad to be excited or making fun of it, this is just my personal, cold-blooded "inspiration".
Other cryptocurrencies are not so depended to Bitcoin as you may see. Price doesn't tell that much. If Bitcoin get cracked, hacked, breaked or whatever can happen, the price of other crypto will drop, definitely, but that doesn't mean that Ethereum or other cryptos just disappear.
I can't get why all of you telling me that some other crypto is using Bitcoin "ideas", that Vitalik inspired by Satoshi, we're all already know that. This sounds like this is something bad to be "inspired" by someone, and use something as reference in project. If to think that way then, Satoshi is a bad guy too, because he used ideas of Nick Szabo, and Bitcoin is a bad project because it used ideas of Bit Gold as reference. You really think it's so bad? I just can't get, why are pointing me that?

I don't want to hurt someone, we are just discussing.
legendary
Activity: 2044
Merit: 1315
I dont have any issues holding either of the two cause I think their price movement isn't far from each other. When bitcoin pump, eth also follows and same goes for eth when it is moving. People or institutional players tend to favor bitcoin since they know that its more popular than any other crypto and hype surge as its progress in long term. Not all are knowledgeable in terms of which is more chance of gaining but some traders knew that altcoins are more chance of winning than bitcoin. But that's on others point. Some prefer long term goal and they can be assured of it through bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1703
Blackjack.fun
I think a big mistake that people do, when looking on Bitcoin, is only profit. There is nothing bad about it, we all need money. But Satoshi Nakamoto doesn't made money machine so everyone can get rich, Bitcoin is money itself. I just want people to understand why he bringed this technology. Bitcoin is very successive experiment, it showed us that we can put our trust to cryptography, decentralized public ledger that we call blockchain. Amazing innovation that early adopters bringed to the masses. But cryptocurrencies need to evolve further, while we looking only on price, developers and programmers from around the world giving new technologies based on Satoshi's ideas. Do your own research, look at the Bitcoin deeper, at Ethereum, at any other cryptocurrency, if you want to be on the wave of crypto technologies, you need to be more inovative, always reconsider your opinion, as Satoshi do, back in the 2008.
I believe you are a true Ethereum fan and cannot be denied. Not everyone sees bitcoin based solely on the benefits it will get. Those who only see the benefits are ordinary people who are new to bitcoin and not the technology. Remember that Ethereum is still dependent on bitcoin and other altcoins are dependent on bitcoin. Currently cryptocurrency is very far developed and new innovations continue to emerge. Remember that vitalik buterin was also inspired by Satoshi Nakamoto with his bitcoins. There's nothing to argue about anymore. Bitcoin, etehreum or any other altcoin have their own advantages and disadvantages.
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 2313
Activity: 1330
Merit: 147
Actually it depends on someone's strategy and knowledge, you can blame for someone who hold bitcoin for long term investment because he has understood how to manage bitcoin for long term investment. Also, the stragegy that will be used seem like will be different, most of long term hold will focus on fundamental analyst not TA. Maybe they will use technical analyst but they will use high time frame.

Also, You cannot justify someone who has a strategy for short term investments or day/swing trades. Sometimes this way can make you get a huge lose, remember low time frame can be manipulated easily by some whales. They will sell their bitcoin so as will make many people take a panic selling as a solution to safe their money but it is just for a while and the whales buy back at the lowe price. This is why there is no safe 100% when you choose long term and short term strategey.
Activity: 1162
Merit: 450
~
Tell me your opinion. Wink

Another weakhand spotted LOL. I cannot blame you for having a negative impression towards Bitcoin yet I assure you that your points are wayy old and were already wrong in the current market situation. All crypto-fan always say to others that investing in crypto in general is risky, so do trading it. Yet you cannot just point out your ideas as it would all fall down to the fact that a user choses to invest/hold, regardless of the risk he/she already knew about. Yes, you can lose everything in investing on crypto, yet aren't you warned at the first place? Wink
Activity: 1806
Merit: 671
If you go to the original post of HODL (where the word was coined) GameKyuubi never really mentioned any strategy when it comes to hodling but he just mentioned that he is a "bad trader" which only implies that he talking about Bitcoin as an investment he didn't even say how long he will hold Bitcoin so we really don't know if he is holding it for years. Secondly why do you think all you have said on Bitcoin doesn't apply on Ethereum both in trading and investing? ETH might be something that will be looked at by some old traders who already know what they are doing but obviously still all of the attention is on Bitcoin just think about what big names are focusing on through Bitcoin ETFs and now companies like Tesla and Microstrategy buying Bitcoin and nothing else, Bitcoin isn't really an "old relic" as it hasn't even reached its potential yet.
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
So technically, you are also suggesting a different coin to HODL. Not Bitcoin but Ethereum? Don't you think that volatility is way better with BTC instead of other altcoins?
For HODL, you don't think about volatility. It's long-term investment, your trust in the future of the asset.
But that's it, bitcoin is the firstborn and it's the most adopted and accepted crypto in the world. It wouldn't change the fact of what you're saying but that's it.

And another fact that all of the new coins including the older ones only took the idea of bitcoin.
Seashells were the firstborn, adopted, and accepted currency in history, aswell as, rice, silver, and gold. But this is not reject the fact that they have weaknesses, that in long-term, made them not valuable or practical. Paper money replaced gold cause of convinience. Cryptocurrencies is intended to replace fiat, but Bitcoin have long-term issues, that i described earlier.
There is nothing wrong to modificate ideas of Bitcoin to make better crypto.
So you can say that it has promising future, but bitcoin will remain dominant.
That everyone are just hyping now, doesn't mean it will remain dominant. Bitcoin is accumulating deep problems, that will break it in next 5 years or a bit more.

Come to think of it,  no bitcoin=no altcoins=no etherum.
What? Huh Bitcoin can crash by itself due to issues i mentioned above. And price of Bitcoin doesn't reflect that. Price of any asset represents psychology of all participants in the market. Price is "strong" because everyone see it like this, and cause of that you can't predict the price. Can you predict people behaviour? And price cannot predict anything, just cause it looks "strong". But psychology can change, and you better be ready that dominance of Bitcoin will last not too long.
Pages:
Jump to: