Pages:
Author

Topic: Will Afghanistan fall into a prolonged state of war again? - page 5. (Read 736 times)

legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1277
Yes, the cost of the war was astronomical, and yes a few thousand US troops died... but just abandoning a country to its fate when you decide you've had enough is not a great decision either tactically or ethically. This could become a disaster, with a sizable proportion of the population running for the border while they still can. And who will get the blame if al Qaida rise again? All fingers will point in one direction.

They weren't able to "fix" it in 20 years. It should be obvious by now that more soldiers and more money isn't gonna do anything positive, just increase the resentment towards occupying forces. I bet there are numerous countries in the world who would happily take the billions of dollars and put them to much better use than drones and bombs.

Yeah, I'm not disagreeing. They needed to get out, and the exit was always going to be messy... it's just that it didn't have to be quite this bad. They should never have gone into Afghanistan in the first place, but once you're in, and when you've been there for twenty years, you have a duty to the people of the country to make the exit as painless as possible... which is not what's happening. Some of the video footage is horrific.

Desperate Afghans clung to the side of a moving US military plane leaving Kabul airport on Monday, with at least three people apparently falling to their deaths from the undercarriage immediately after takeoff.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/aug/16/kabul-airport-chaos-and-panic-as-afghans-and-foreigners-attempt-to-flee-the-capital
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 8909
https://bpip.org
Yes, the cost of the war was astronomical, and yes a few thousand US troops died... but just abandoning a country to its fate when you decide you've had enough is not a great decision either tactically or ethically. This could become a disaster, with a sizable proportion of the population running for the border while they still can. And who will get the blame if al Qaida rise again? All fingers will point in one direction.

They weren't able to "fix" it in 20 years. It should be obvious by now that more soldiers and more money isn't gonna do anything positive, just increase the resentment towards occupying forces. I bet there are numerous countries in the world who would happily take the billions of dollars and put them to much better use than drones and bombs.
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1277
Probably not. The Afghanistan military more or less put up no fight against the Taliban once Biden pulled American and allied troops out. The Taliban will take over the entire country in short order.

Seems the likely outcome, yes. I appreciate Biden has nearly half a century of experience, but has he really thought this through? It could quite easily become the defining action of his presidency.

legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 2667
Evil beware: We have waffles!
Seal the borders for a year or more to let the Afghani's settle things for themselves. It is their country and their problem. Then as long as the victors do not threaten their neighbors or rest of the world (or give sanctuary to others who do), start negotiating with them regarding world trade.
Activity: 1190
Merit: 305
Pro financial, medical liberty
No, because all three are selected Stooges

A Taliban spokesman still has an active Twitter account, despite the platform’s suspension of former President Donald Trump for “hateful” and “violent” content.
Twitter account @Zabehulah_M33

21 years in enough
https://twitter.com/i/status/1427131838548619265

Peace deal signed
https://youtu.be/X3UJLeHGDQc
Activity: 1694
Merit: 516
No i don't think so. The war is over after 20 years now, USA and all other Nato members left Afghanistan. Yesterday Kabul was transfered peacefully to the Taliban and the president fled the country. Taliban are back in power. Also for the Taliban this like Christmas now, they got all the trucks, guns and other equipment from the Afghan Army and the American tax payer. They even captured drones and planes. 20 years of training for the army and it collapsed in 2 weeks.
legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276

At first glance, this looks like a re-run of how sec-state Clinton built ISIS.  The various military partners kept 'losing' equipment day after day until ISIS were all decked out in new U.S. military uniforms and driving brand new humvees.

Reminds me a lot of Kirkuk in 2014:  https://www.csmonitor.com/World/Middle-East/2014/0623/In-looted-Kirkuk-armory-hints-of-the-Iraqi-crisis-endgame

Activity: 18
Merit: 0
In the short term, the war is chaotic, and in the long term, it is impossible for the Taliban to gain state control.
copper member
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1899
Amazon Prime Member #7
Probably not. The Afghanistan military more or less put up no fight against the Taliban once Biden pulled American and allied troops out. The Taliban will take over the entire country in short order.
Activity: 2800
Merit: 595
https://www.betcoin.ag

Nope. All I think was planned as to why would the US go abandoned the area in the first place. It was because they know they are on the losing side anymore and the Taliban as we know will become legitimate in the end. By the time it's going to be a real political party that rules the country, the Chinese deal will be finalized too.

Look how fast they have conquered the regions that weren't previously ruled by Taliban. The Afghans will just think they have finally pushed out their enemy.
Pages:
Jump to: