Pages:
Author

Topic: Wonder who this solominer is? 88.6.216.9 - page 32. (Read 60457 times)

legendary
Activity: 1386
Merit: 1004
How much hashing power are we talking about?
donator
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Interesting mystery. Subscribing.

I wonder where all this hashing power is coming from.

Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Tagging along...I like D&T arguments.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Glad to see you testing p2sh DeepBit.  Was confusing to see blocks w/ p2sh coming from your pool at same time mystery miner started relying them through you (and others).
donator
Activity: 532
Merit: 501
We have cookies
On edit:  looks like the mystery miner supports p2sh.

coinbase: 040c350b1a028d06062f503253482f
decoded:  5 �/P2SH/

http://blockchain.info/tx-index/3325470/26df9b84d9346393cbe4ba00f907aacfe7ff2f832049d6ebd66a515d5ac6a709

It is causing confusion because it looks like Deepbit supports p2sh but it is only because "mystery" is only broadcasting blocks to other pools and thus those pools are relaying them to blockchain.info.  So "mystery" blocks appear to blockchain.info as coming from Deepbit and other pools.

On edit edit: maybe not.  Other miners may be relaying through deepbit. Hard to say if the p2sh blocks shown "from" Deepbit are from mystery or another miner.
You are not right.

This site uses block hashes provided by me, so it's always accurate: http://blockorigin.pfoe.be/
donator
Activity: 532
Merit: 501
We have cookies
Excluding TXes won't make sense as anti-BIP16 defense because MM still should correctly decide on which other blocks she should build next ones.
Activity: 53
Merit: 0
jetmine let me slow it way down for you....

Great, I see it took you less than 4 minutes to reply.  No wonder that you skipped over all I said, including the question about where to see that coinbase info.  So I went to find out myself.  And then I looked for the IP in question, which you can find in the tread topic if you have any doubts.  And surprise, this is what I found in blocks 170010, 170009, 170003, 169993, 169991:

040c350b1a0332f607
(decoded)  52�

040c350b1a0319af07
(decoded)  5�

040c350b1a03a4a107
(decoded)  5��

040c350b1a03d52c08
(decoded)  5�,

040c350b1a034d3708
(decoded)  5M7

There.

And, while you've edited your post and removed the insulting part about me "go back and delete my offtopic and lengthy posts", maybe it's your turn now to do just that.  Or not.  You won't read more from me in this thread.  It's not that important.
donator
Gerald Davis
jetmine let me slow it way down for you....

1) a no vote is a vote against.  going forward requires a majority of hashing power.  if "mystery miner" was against p2sh he could simply no-vote.  

2) excluding transaction does absolutely nothing.  One can no vote or even vote against AND include transactions.  One can vote for p2sh and exclude transactions.  Your claim was MysterMiner was excluding transactions because he had to in order to "defend" against p2sh.  Nothing you linked to supported that claim.

3) Ironically "myster miner" supports p2sh.  Smiley  Isn't that just icing on the cake.  Now likely he is "supporting p2sh" simply by default using the latest bitcoind but it kinda blows away your entire argument.  If you had been objective you would have simply looked at his coinbase transactions to see what is there.
On edit:  looks like the mystery miner supports p2sh.

decoded:  5�/P2SH/

Where can this information be found?

Your link doesn't support anything you just said.

You don't seem to pay much attention.  Within approx 2 hours and merely 4 posts, I posted two links right here in this thread.  You replied to each of them, so you had a chance to open them.  Generally I don't like to repeat myself, but I hear you asking for me to elaborate and so I will explain again (this time; and more to the point hopefully).

The first link was: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.775108

It supports two of the claims, namely a) BIP16 renders old clients vulnerable to DoS attacks and b) not processing TXs "hot fixes" this threat until the client software can be updated.  If you think the link isn't supportive enough for claim a) because I said it, then please read the whole thread or at least the part which explains how exactly the exploit works: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.772311

The second link was: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.711055

It supports the other claim, namely that those who can't update their client are excluded from voting (for/against BIP16).  If you are in a hurry, you may want to skip all but the last paragraph.

As a technical person, my summary is:

Question: Is updating necessary?  Answer: no.  Wait, maybe.  Wait, YES! You may be DoS'ed by malicious TXs.

Question: Can I gain more time by voting against?  Answer:  No. You must update first, then you may vote.

This means: Solve your own problems yourself.

And that's all what happened, problems have been solved.  There is no conspiracy behind it.

And a personal comment, if I may add:

I really mean just this, without personal attitude.  The project is great and the board is great too.  You may think I am opposing multisig or P2SH or whatever.  The only thing I am opposing here is the update spiral / time pressure.

A more compatible transition may exist, and people could try to find it.  I know I could find one if I tried.  But the opposition between LukeJr and "the world" shows me that any such attempt is waste.  The transition to multisig must happen in the way it is supposed to happen.  A bit rougher maybe than desired (by all parties), but nonetheless.  And to my delight, I also hear that a smoother compatibility path is prepared for future protocol changes (fingers crossed).
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1036
Looks like the magical mystery miner is now connected only to other miners, thus appearing as Eligius and Deepbit on Blockchain.info.
The faster you tell other miners about your block, the less chance they'll make the same block. The faster you know, the less chance you'll make the same block. Reduces the chance of an orphan which is better for profit for both.
Activity: 185
Merit: 100
Looks like the magical mystery miner is now connected only to other miners, thus appearing as Eligius and Deepbit on Blockchain.info.
donator
Gerald Davis
Your link doesn't support anything you just said.

Gavin simply advised not to "vote" in favor of p2sh unless you are p2sh capable.  There is no issue with a solo miner processing transactions.  If running old non p2sh capable bitcoin they will see p2sh transactions as invalid.

If the mystery solo miner was including all transactions EXCEPT p2sh ones it would have some validity.  There is absolutely no reason to exclude all transactions to "stop" p2sh support.  Eligus for example doesn't support p2sh and processes transactions in every block.   Your full of crap jetmine.  Stop reaching for conclusions that aren't there.

On edit:  looks like the mystery miner supports p2sh.

decoded:  5 �/P2SH/

http://blockchain.info/tx-index/3325470/26df9b84d9346393cbe4ba00f907aacfe7ff2f832049d6ebd66a515d5ac6a709

It is causing confusion because it looks like Deepbit supports p2sh but it is only because "mystery" is only broadcasting blocks to other pools and thus those pools are relaying them to blockchain.info.  So "mystery" blocks appear to blockchain.info as coming from Deepbit and other pools.

On edit edit: maybe not.  Other miners may be relaying through deepbit. Hard to say if the p2sh blocks shown "from" Deepbit are from mystery or another miner.

Quite the spin.  One can oppose BIP16 and still include transactions.  Interesting you oppose BIP16 and thus see everything (even something as stupid as 1 tx blocks) as opposition.

One cannot.  Read the last paragraph of this post:  https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.711055

It is not possible to vote against BIP16 without already having implemented it.  This might work for those people who oppose it for "political" reasons.  But it's a catch-22 for those who oppose it precisely BECAUSE they can't update (easily).

Probably piuk has logs of 88.6.216.9 and can shed light on the client version.

The only remedy is to either update or stop processing transactions.  In the long run the update will happen but things take time.
donator
Gerald Davis
Why would anyone push out 0 tx transactions without malicious intent?

One answer can be found this post: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.775108

It's defense, not attack.  And it will certainly not continue forever.  Once the vulnerability can be fixed, it will stop.

Quite the spin.  One can oppose BIP16 and still include transactions.  Interesting you oppose BIP16 and thus see everything (even something as stupid as 1 tx blocks) as opposition.
Activity: 67
Merit: 130
Another chart (I used modified http://github.com/joric/pyblockchain, I'll update it soon).

Why would anyone push out 0 tx transactions without malicious intent?

One answer can be found this post: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.775108

It's defense, not attack.  And it will certainly not continue forever.  Once the vulnerability can be fixed, it will stop.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003
Why would value plummet, if the practical usefulness of the txn medium for users remains unaffected? Will the silk road users refuse to buy drugs using coins controlled by a 51%? Should speculators anticipate this mass protest and sell? Is there an economic logic behind this, or is it just the conventional wisdom?

Because this miner can choose to not process your transactions. So if you get paid in bitcoins, you may not be able to spend them! The decentralized appeal of bitcoin will be destroyed if one entity can control what/when transactions can go into blocks. They are currently already not including any transactions into their blocks.

They don't have a strong incentive to perform a socially beneficial functions right now because they are free-riding. Once they acquire monopoly, their incentives will improve dramatically and I strongly expect that they will include all txns in blocks. I also think double-spend attempts are extremely unlikely.
Activity: 628
Merit: 504
Not a big deal if you are using the system to make send payments or speculate. However, if you are currently mining, it is a big deal.  It is a matter of time before this guy/group or someone like this guy/group chooses to exclude blocks found by other miners.  All they need is 51%. The days of profitable, independent mining are numbered.

I hope these people are also ASIC manufacturers because that would be really funny.

1) Sell a bunch of expensive mining hardware to lone miners to recoup development costs.
2) Maintain a dominant residual share of this hardware.
3) Use the dominant share to shut out all the suckers who purchased mining equipment from you.
4) You have all newly mined coins and revenue from equipment sales. Your customers have worthless hardware.

If it's for profit, then it's not feasible to kill the system, that brings you that profit. If it's a gov contract to kill bitcoin, then that's the aim - get 51%. Wanna bet which one it is?  Grin
donator
Activity: 1654
Merit: 1287
Creator of Litecoin. Cryptocurrency enthusiast.
Why would value plummet, if the practical usefulness of the txn medium for users remains unaffected? Will the silk road users refuse to buy drugs using coins controlled by a 51%? Should speculators anticipate this mass protest and sell? Is there an economic logic behind this, or is it just the conventional wisdom?

Because this miner can choose to not process your transactions. So if you get paid in bitcoins, you may not be able to spend them! The decentralized appeal of bitcoin will be destroyed if one entity can control what/when transactions can go into blocks. They are currently already not including any transactions into their blocks.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003
Pages:
Jump to: