Pages:
Author

Topic: Wonder who this solominer is? 88.6.216.9 - page 35. (Read 60471 times)

donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
Who cares if a block is empty?

One more block above your transaction = your transaction 1 confirmation deeper in the block chain.
Yes even empty blocks make everyone's transactions stronger.

Plus no block is "empty" it always have 1 transactions.

Lastly there is no good way to enforce including transactions in a block.

If you
a) ask largest pools to ignore these blocks you are asking them to 51% the network.  come on people think a little.  should we be encouraging major pools to 51% our own network?
b) change the protocol to require transactions other than the coinbase in a block then it creates all kinda of new problems

First  people who currently mine empty blocks will simply include a single transaction from one account they own to another.  What's next a rule of at least 5 transactions? Still easily spoofed.  The second issue is you create a situation when no transactions happen that a "good miner" will need to either spoof the network or choose to stop mining.  Do we want to encourage block chain spam really?  Lastly if miners did stop mining when no transactions occured you would totally fuck up the difficulty adjustment algorithms.

Bitcoin is about freedom.   The protocol rules so you can mine a block with no transactions yet people decide "it isn't fair" and want to change it.  Some people just can't escape the nanny state mentality ("there should be a rule against that").  Sad. 

So TL/DR:
There are no empty blocks, blocks with a single transactions don't hurt you, trying to change it is next to impossible, and ANY BLOCK above your transaction makes it stronger.
Activity: 1596
Merit: 502
The transactions are currently not worth beeing included and that needs to change.
When the block value drops from 50 to 25 BTC the transaction are a bigger part of the mining, so that's already going to change.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1005
I implore the three biggest pool operators to stop accepting empty blocks as valid. After that, everyone will follow.

Let's say that happens. Then what? Which scenario do you think will play out:

A. Empty-block miners see their blocks invalidated, so they pack up and go home.
B. Empty-block miners see their blocks invalidated, so they create a little dust so they don't have empty blocks anymore.

Bottom line: Empty-block miners are passing up on fees. That's their loss, and everyone else's gain.
What about:
C. Empty-block miners make a union and hijack the network by doing 51% of the hashrate and ignoring blocks with transactions.

You guys realize that with a few thousand dollars a day (10-20k), any government can disrupt bitcoin sufficiently? For the millions of dollars each government agency wastes yearly, surely they could do this if they wanted to.
legendary
Activity: 3878
Merit: 1193
I implore the three biggest pool operators to stop accepting empty blocks as valid. After that, everyone will follow.

Let's say that happens. Then what? Which scenario do you think will play out:

A. Empty-block miners see their blocks invalidated, so they pack up and go home.
B. Empty-block miners see their blocks invalidated, so they create a little dust so they don't have empty blocks anymore.

Bottom line: Empty-block miners are passing up on fees. That's their loss, and everyone else's gain.
donator
Activity: 532
Merit: 501
We have cookies
By the way, Luke-Jr used this method of not including any TXes to suppress springcoin's altchain.
A little different, my understanding is Luke-Jr was actually ignoring other nodes blocks and just kept building upon his own?
Yes, but this miner is less than 50%, so ignoring won't work.
Activity: 85
Merit: 10
From my point of view the reason why ppl can do this without losing anything are the small transaction fees. But in the long term no processed transactions will cause higher transaction fees and that will cause more miners to include transactions.

I agree that they are harming the network because they could include transactions with little effort. But higher tx fees are anyways necessary for the future and this seems like a small step to it for me.

The transactions are currently not worth beeing included and that needs to change.
Activity: 216
Merit: 100
Without including transactions, they'll never be accused of trying to double spend, at least.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1007
By the way, Luke-Jr used this method of not including any TXes to suppress springcoin's altchain.

A little different, my understanding is Luke-Jr was actually ignoring other nodes blocks and just kept building upon his own?

Either way, the suppression attack is what I meant by "strangulation attack" - It slows down the networks ability to process transactions because a portion of blocks ignore all TXes, which also raises the difficulty.  This means that transactions are now slowed down by *AT LEAST* their portion of the network due to legit miners now running at a higher difficulty.  It could slow down the network even more if enough nodes were doing this type of "attack" and created a backlog of transactions where legit nodes could not wrap them up into blocks as fast as they're coming in.
donator
Activity: 532
Merit: 501
We have cookies
I've being trying to label 88.6.216.9 (and their old ip 88.6.208.35) for a while.
I hope they know about/support BIP30 and BIP16.
At least BIP16 can be a way to stop them :) (joke)

legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
Nah, no shallow denial only, I would orphan the second example as well.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1036
I'll revise this post a bit upon reflection (really needs video to illustrate). There's another case I forgot:
Where 80% of all mining pools are ignoring blocks with zero transactions:

64% of the time:
[Normal block] ══╤══>[block by ignoring pool]══>[more blocks]
                 ┖┄>[no-transaction block]┄┄┄┄> orphaned

20% of the time
[Normal block] ══╤══>[no-transaction block]══>[block by normal pool]══>[more blocks]
                 ┖┄┄>[block by ignoring pool]┄┄> orphaned

16% of the time (or maybe 8%?)
[Normal block] ══╤══>[block by ignoring pool]══>[block by ignoring pool]┄┄> orphaned
                 ┖┄>[no-transaction block]══>[block by normal pool]══>[more blocks]

In the 16% case above, the "no transaction block" could have a higher difficulty hash, the normal pools would see this and still be hashing using the no-transaction block, and not be using the ignoring pool's block of lower difficulty - once one finds another block and publishes, they still win. By building on the blocks of an ignoring pool you might lose your block finding reward too... and it continues further than I can illustrate with text...
legendary

Even if 80% of the network agrees to ignore them, the "block ignorers" lose 20% of their mining income by making orphan blocks beaten by someone who isn't ignoring.

That can't be right. The 20% non-ignorers wil lose 100% percent of their revenue ()their blocks are determined to be invalid by 80% of the network) and the revenue of the 80% ignores will rise by that portion (so by 25%) because still 50 BTC are awarded every 10 minutes.

And the fact that there are always transactions waiting is exactly my point.
legendary
The problem is that pool operators can't reasonably ignore the no-transaction blocks. If they ignored them and continued looking for a block solve based on the previous block before it, some other pool that isn't ignoring them will build on them and grow a longer blockchain.

They can with at least 50.00001% of the hashing power. So I implore the three biggest pool operators to stop accepting empty blocks as valid. After that, everyone will follow.
Even if 80% of the network agrees to ignore them, the "block ignorers" lose 20% of their mining income on those by making orphan blocks beaten by someone who isn't ignoring.

Blocks without transactions are not "bad", look at the first year of Bitcoin mining. If these guys are ignoring transactions, that's also more transaction fees to be claimed by the rest who do include transactions.

They are if there exist valid transactions waiting to be confirmed.
There always are transactions waiting. It would only be a threat if "bad miner" has more hashrate than everybody else and starts ignoring any blocks except the ones they mine themselves.
legendary
Because I want everything to work out normally within a time frame which is as short as possible. But sure, if we wait long enough (possibly much longer than humans live) the free market will always reach the optimum given a set of rational actors.
Activity: 910
Merit: 1005
I've being trying to label 88.6.216.9 (and their old ip 88.6.208.35) for a while.

I hope they know about/support BIP30 and BIP16.
legendary
The problem is that pool operators can't reasonably ignore the no-transaction blocks. If they ignored them and continued looking for a block solve based on the previous block before it, some other pool that isn't ignoring them will build on them and grow a longer blockchain.

They can with at least 50.00001% of the hashing power. So I implore the three biggest pool operators to stop accepting empty blocks as valid. After that, everyone will follow.

Blocks without transactions are not "bad", look at the first year of Bitcoin mining. If these guys are ignoring transactions, that's also more transaction fees to be claimed by the rest who do include transactions.

They are if there exist valid transactions waiting to be confirmed.
legendary
Of course I know. But they should be awarded to people actually processing transactions. That is what they (me included cause I mine as well) signed up for. The only practical use of mining is transaction processing. Miners should do that or not get paid imo.
The problem is that pool operators can't reasonably ignore the no-transaction blocks. If they ignored them and continued looking for a block solve based on the previous block before it, some other pool that isn't ignoring them will build on them and grow a longer blockchain. Blocks without transactions are not "bad", look at the first year of Bitcoin mining. If these guys are ignoring transactions, that's also more transaction fees to be claimed by the rest who do include transactions.

They may simply not be using the same client and they haven't taken the time nor have any incentive to include this feature.
It would cost them close to nothing in term of computing power to include the transcations.
I outlined possibilities why they might not be including transactions - including transactions requires a constant stream of network data from miner to control server. Not doing so reduces their hosting demands and reduces their exposure to detection if they are making unauthorized use of resources.
donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
They may simply not be using the same client and they haven't taken the time nor have any incentive to include this feature.
It would cost them close to nothing in term of computing power to include the transcations.

In the long run they'll eventually figure-out they're hurting themselves on a small scale my making transaction confirm slower.

(Their profit is worth less since slow transaction is no good for the BTC net.)
legendary
Of course I know. But they should be awarded to people actually processing transactions. That is what they (me included cause I mine as well) signed up for. The only practical use of mining is transaction processing. Miners should do that or not get paid imo.
legendary
No economic benefit? They are being subsidized by the community for 50BTC per block for Christ's sake. IMO no tx no subsidy,

Just reject the empty blocks and if there are no transactions there is also no use for additional blocks.

They are being subsidized by a magic money-making algorithm, not the community. The mining reward is well thought out as a way of releasing the currency and encouraging blockchain difficulty. The only thing encouraging the inclusion of transactions in the generated block are transaction fees, which recently are approaching zero.

They are subsidized by the community because giving out new coins is diluting existing coins.

Just like I am subsidizing the banking crisis in Europe because the European bank created a trillion euro's out of thin air.
New coins are generated at the same rate whether they get some of them or not; you knew that ~7200 new BTC were being made every day when you signed up (or didn't you read the terms and conditions?)
Pages:
Jump to: