Pages:
Author

Topic: Worst bitcoin decision you've ever made? - page 75. (Read 97039 times)

legendary
Activity: 1806
Merit: 1090
Learning the troll avoidance button :)
doing nothing right now...

That's a good one mumble 3 days to wire money into an exchange ...
Activity: 560
Merit: 250
Buy labcoin shares.
Now, we all know that the labcoin is totally a scam.
 Angry
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1001
CEO Bitpanda.com
Bitcoinica
BFL
BFL
IdeDrill
Hashfast
BitFunder - Weexchange
MtGox

You nearly cleared all achivements. Only coinlenders/inputs is missing Smiley
donator
Activity: 1731
Merit: 1008
Bitcoinica
BFL
BFL
IdeDrill
Hashfast
BitFunder - Weexchange
MtGox

Activity: 224
Merit: 101
Haha, that's easy to do something about though, isn't it?
Merit: 100
Bought 200BTC at $18 more then a year ago, sold it for $80 thinking I made HUGE profit, classic screwup but who would know it would go to $1100
Just like for everyone else thats the tricky part. You can't predict what's gonna happen. In my opinion you still made a good deal, although not optimal at all.

If i kept every bitcoin that I had , when I had the most, I would have >1mUSD at todays prices. Sucks but yeah, I made a concious decision to hedge my risks back then.
Hah, yeah. It's a bit worse for the people who just lost them due to not caring as they weren't valuable at all, now realizing they'd be millionaires.

Well, then thing is, they never invested real money. So it is no that sad actually. Like the guy that had 10000 BTC on a harddrive that he mined 5 years ago on a laptop and then the harddrive ended up on the wasteplant. Not much investment right there, but sure it sucks to lose out on so much money Wink
Ah yeah. I've also had the policy to not invest any of my own money into bitcoins. I can't afford unsafe investments, even tho I'm fully aware I might regret it in 5 years.

This hugely depends on your personal finances. If you have disposable income, why not throw 5% of that into a high risk/high reward investment. The upside is huge and the downside is limited to -100%. If you are also young , then this sounds like a snapcall to me. (It was for me). But be sure to not be emotional about it, and make decisions on fundametials , not panic and price.!!!
That's the problem, I don't really have a disposable income that I can invest in anything. If I had, however, I would definitely consider investing small sums in bitcoins.

In your case, I still think it would be advantageous to put small amounts of money that you receive as birthday presents, xmas presents, etc...into BTC.  It will grow long term, and may also keep you from spending it...
Well, in the end, it's just a risk-reward calculation everyone has to do on his own. I couldn't handle losing a single dollar, not because I needed it or that I couldn't afford to lose it, but it's a principal thing. Therefore ( for now ) I'm not putting real cash into something that
-can- theoretically drop to zero value in days. Even though the probability is low, very low, it still exists.

Most investments can loose more than 90% of their value if it goes really wrong even real estate (new laws, legal fees, revolution or natural disaster), bonds, stocks, art,...
And I have not invested in any of those either. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2562
Merit: 1064
i had chance, when my friend was starting his rig, he offered me partnership and i was not interested coz of caution
legendary
CEO Bitpanda.com
NEO BEE (20 BTC)  Angry

I don't want to needle you, but I wonder why people invested in this firm. Have you personally read the business proposal/prospectus? It was pure garbage, they stated themselves that they can only be profitable if the BTC price rises by 80% a year. They had no legit income source.

Sorry ofr your loss nonetheless!
Activity: 173
Merit: 100
btcmy.net
NEO BEE (20 BTC)  Angry
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
That i didn't bought bitcoin when it was $2  Cry
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1040
A Great Time to Start Something!
I think not being able to take advantage of the Mtgox vs Bitstamp price difference at the time.  That was very painful to watch.

The Mtgox vs Bitstamp price difference was best for people with a Japanese bank account. (and Mark's friends at the Foundation?)
Hey, at least you didn't have tons of money stuck in the Gox final meltdown.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1018
Bought 200BTC at $18 more then a year ago, sold it for $80 thinking I made HUGE profit, classic screwup but who would know it would go to $1100
Just like for everyone else thats the tricky part. You can't predict what's gonna happen. In my opinion you still made a good deal, although not optimal at all.

If i kept every bitcoin that I had , when I had the most, I would have >1mUSD at todays prices. Sucks but yeah, I made a concious decision to hedge my risks back then.
Hah, yeah. It's a bit worse for the people who just lost them due to not caring as they weren't valuable at all, now realizing they'd be millionaires.

Well, then thing is, they never invested real money. So it is no that sad actually. Like the guy that had 10000 BTC on a harddrive that he mined 5 years ago on a laptop and then the harddrive ended up on the wasteplant. Not much investment right there, but sure it sucks to lose out on so much money Wink
Ah yeah. I've also had the policy to not invest any of my own money into bitcoins. I can't afford unsafe investments, even tho I'm fully aware I might regret it in 5 years.

This hugely depends on your personal finances. If you have disposable income, why not throw 5% of that into a high risk/high reward investment. The upside is huge and the downside is limited to -100%. If you are also young , then this sounds like a snapcall to me. (It was for me). But be sure to not be emotional about it, and make decisions on fundametials , not panic and price.!!!
That's the problem, I don't really have a disposable income that I can invest in anything. If I had, however, I would definitely consider investing small sums in bitcoins.

In your case, I still think it would be advantageous to put small amounts of money that you receive as birthday presents, xmas presents, etc...into BTC.  It will grow long term, and may also keep you from spending it...
Well, in the end, it's just a risk-reward calculation everyone has to do on his own. I couldn't handle losing a single dollar, not because I needed it or that I couldn't afford to lose it, but it's a principal thing. Therefore ( for now ) I'm not putting real cash into something that
-can- theoretically drop to zero value in days. Even though the probability is low, very low, it still exists.

Most investments can loose more than 90% of their value if it goes really wrong even real estate (new laws, legal fees, revolution or natural disaster), bonds, stocks, art,...
Activity: 1328
Merit: 563
MintDice.com | TG: t.me/MintDice
July-August of 2012 when I was huge on learning/understanding investing phase I just blank stared at mtgox.com wondering if I should invest part of my 6-figure portfolio on bitcoin.  I paused for 5-10 minutes and decided that while it would be a good investment if my $ could instantly transfer over, it wasn't worth the time and effort it would take to get it all onto gox. I then put all of it into a slew of 25-30 different ETFs.

I probably would have started with about $5k worth at 11/coin but knowing what I did later on I probably would have purchased a lot more than 5k while they were in the two figure range.  FML.  

Did awesome on the run up from 100 to 1k though.

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1029
lol, very unfortunate story, but I would say for those of us who have been around for a long time in the BTC scene, we all have very similar stories of spending BTC quite low.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
Decentralize All The Things!
Not actually buying the 1500 coins back in 2010 that I had planned on, and consciously avoiding bitcoin until 2013.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1018
I think not being able to take advantage of the Mtgox vs Bitstamp price difference at the time.  That was very painful to watch.

Hopefully you didn't because you would have lost your money stuck on gox
legendary
CEO Bitpanda.com

Or , you know... How is it called? ... work. Work! Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1456
This is the land of wolves now & you're not a wolf

Pages:
Jump to: