Pages:
Author

Topic: wow ,almost 30,000 unconfirmed trans - page 10. (Read 13753 times)

legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007
November 24, 2016, 03:45:07 AM
I'll just sit here and wait until the things goes back to normal. Don't you?

No. I don't. I'm pretty sure this is the new normal.

Looking at the 7-day average of market cap, we are about to hit that measure's high water mark. (Currently at ~$10.2B USD and climbing fast, was only larger than this for less than ten days in Nov-Dec 2013, with max of ~$10.9B USD on 2013 Dec 12 - https://blockchain.info/charts/market-cap?timespan=all&daysAverageString=7) With this significant event coming to pass, there will be renewed interest in the popular press. With renewed interest comes an influx of new users. With an influx of new users comes additional transactions. All competing for the same limited block space.

Many will turn away in derision when The New Magic Internet Money does not seem to deliver on its promises of fast & near free. But some will suck it up and deal. Net: more usage of the blockchain. More delays in getting your transactions processed. More fees per transaction. And more stuck transactions in an ever-increasing backlog.

While all this is unfortunate, what really sucks is the forestalling of The Wave Of Adoption That Could Have Been, were it not be for a stupid maxblocksize limit.

I still feel that for the general public to regain interstest it doesn't need to pass the ath marketcap, but instead it needs to pass the ath per bitcoin again.

Everybody has the 1000+ coins in memory, and saying it passed the peak at 800+ is not really understandable to people that know nothing about bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
November 24, 2016, 03:32:16 AM
I am sorry, but I have to agree, Boycotting the service will not help anyone in any way, except for the government bodies who want it canned.  What would be a good reason to boycott bitcoin?  We all have money tied up into it and if it goes down, it is gone for good.

Boycott did not happen except for maybe me and the only 200 or so people that saw the original topic link,
BTCTalk Censored every topic listing , I had posted.

At least we know big brother is alive and well.  Tongue

As far as a  real fix to BTC transactions issues.
Here are 2 different fixes, recommend by 2 different groups. (To be honest either or both would fix the transactions issue)

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/why-viabtc-rejects-segwit-soft-fork-in-favor-of-block-size-hard-fork-interview-with-haipo-yang-1479409475
Instead, the mining pool favors a hard fork to remove the one megabyte block size limit, as proposed by Bitcoin Core fork Bitcoin Unlimited.

http://www.coindesk.com/lower-bitcoin-block-time-scale/
Using data pulled from their open source simulator of a proof-of-work blockchain (bitcoin and ethereum are two such blockchains), researchers from ETH Zürich argued that bitcoin could securely reduce its block time from 10 to 1 minute.

LTC has 4X the transaction capacity as BTC , because they have a 2½ minute block speed.

BTC could lower their block speed to the same 2½ minutes and double their block size to 2 Megabyte instead of 1 megabyte.
This would increase BTC Transactions Capacity 8X what it is today.

You have some shrills pop up, that say it is too risky or hurts security or it is just made up propaganda.
Will doing the above make BTC a match for Visa, No it will never be a direct match for visa at current infrastructure level.

OffChain Transactions will be required to match Visa, whether the lightening network or something else.
But even the LN will fail, if BTC can't handle the transactions volume, which it is already at the breaking point.

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/here-s-how-bitcoin-s-lightning-network-could-fail-1467736127
The Lightning Network’s Failure Mode

The Lightning Network failure scenario described by Todd, takes place when a large number of people on the Bitcoin network need to settle their Lightning Network disputes on the blockchain in a relatively short period of time.

https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/here-s-how-bitcoin-s-lightning-network-could-fail-1467736127
“We do have a failure mode which is: Imagine a whole bunch of these [settlements] have to happen at once,” Todd explained. “There’s only so much data that can go through the bitcoin network and if we had a large number of Lightning channels get closed out very rapidly, how are we going to get them all confirmed? At some point, you run out of capacity.”

In a scenario where a large number of people need to settle their Lightning contracts on the blockchain, the price for doing so could increase substantially as the available space in bitcoin blocks becomes sparse. “At some point some people start losing out because the cost is just higher than what they can afford,” Todd said. “If you have a very large percentage of the network using Lightning, potentially this cost is very high. Potentially, we could get this mass outbreak of failure.”

No matter if SegWit & LN is activated next week, none of it gives a 8X increase like the earlier recommendations, so it will likely crash within a year or two, unless the underlying structure is able to handle the load.

Example:
BTC is the Foundation of Building
SegWit , the 1st floor, and LN the Skyscraper on top of it,
If BTC crumbles because it can't handle the stress, SegWit & LN are going to come crashing down on top of it.  Tongue

Cool
legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959
November 23, 2016, 11:54:06 PM
Could it be that fees are too low for some of these and they are taking a long time. It could be that it just happens to be happening all at one time by coincidence or that miners are refusing to confirm them collectively.

Yeah, it could be. But probably is not. How close to maximum theoretical capacity do you think is realistic?

I call it a bitcoin fail, it just simply cannot scale to the current usage. Thanks.
legendary
Activity: 3024
Merit: 1640
lose: unfind ... loose: untight
November 23, 2016, 11:27:01 PM
Could it be that fees are too low for some of these and they are taking a long time. It could be that it just happens to be happening all at one time by coincidence or that miners are refusing to confirm them collectively.

Yeah, it could be. But probably is not. How close to maximum theoretical capacity do you think is realistic?
Activity: 364
Merit: 254
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
November 23, 2016, 11:19:33 PM
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
November 23, 2016, 11:14:38 PM
If this issue persists, I think more people would hesitate to make transactions nad just wait a while until some solutions are set into place. Even if the transaction fees are increased and there is still substantial delay, many would be turned off by this slow progress.
If this is true, with the increasing number of course the confirm sapping our time and resources. We have to think to shorten this confirmation to prevent waste time.
legendary
Activity: 2772
Merit: 3282
November 23, 2016, 10:42:52 PM
I paid almost 0.0003 BTC (0,2112 EURO) as fee for a small transaction and I didn't get any confirmation since almost 3 hours already, like this ain't funny anymore
Not enough info. 0.0003BTC is a low fee if you had, say, 10 inputs. I sent a transaction with above proper fees (126 satoshi/kb) a few hours ago, and it was confirmed in the next block. Your fault for using a low fee. By small, do you mean small BTC amount, or transaction size? BTC amount doesn't matter to how quickly it gets confirmed.
legendary
November 23, 2016, 10:36:54 PM

No. I don't. I'm pretty sure this is the new normal.

Looking at the 7-day average of market cap, we are about to hit that measure's high water mark. (Currently at ~$10.2B USD and climbing fast, was only larger than this for less than ten days in Nov-Dec 2013, with max of ~$10.9B USD on 2013 Dec 12 - https://blockchain.info/charts/market-cap?timespan=all&daysAverageString=7) With this significant event coming to pass, there will be renewed interest in the popular press. With renewed interest comes an influx of new users. With an influx of new users comes additional transactions. All competing for the same limited block space.

Many will turn away in derision when The New Magic Internet Money does not seem to deliver on its promises of fast & near free. But some will suck it up and deal. Net: more usage of the blockchain. More delays in getting your transactions processed. More fees per transaction. And more stuck transactions in an ever-increasing backlog.

While all this is unfortunate, what really sucks is the forestalling of The Wave Of Adoption That Could Have Been, were it not be for a stupid maxblocksize limit.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
November 23, 2016, 10:19:59 PM
Want to do something about it.

Everyone BoyCott BTC for 24 hours because of the Ignored Transaction Problems
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1690300.new#new

Cool

FYI:
It was higher the 50,000 earlier today.
Sounds like trying to kill the currency that we want to move forward!
If the users stop using it, then why will it have value?

There are problems to be solved, but a boycott could adversely effect the future of BTC

I am sorry, but I have to agree, Boycotting the service will not help anyone in any way, except for the government bodies who want it canned.  What would be a good reason to boycott bitcoin?  We all have money tied up into it and if it goes down, it is gone for good.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011
November 23, 2016, 10:17:31 PM
I paid almost 0.0003 BTC (0,2112 EURO) as fee for a small transaction and I didn't get any confirmation since almost 3 hours already, like this ain't funny anymore

fee of bank (per month) ?
fee of mastercard/visa circuit ?
fee of the POS leasing (per month) ?
fee of the global transaction per year (at the bank) ?

0,2 euros is nothing when you MUST and WANT transmit something IN A OVERHEADED week.

I pay a coffee and what ... the coffee shop need to pay is seller/provider after 2h ?
No.

This situation is nothing compare to the free network and no chargeback result.
When you emit, you will be pay after that on Bitcoin network.

Or ... vote SegWit instead.
http://bitcoin.sipa.be/versions.html
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
November 23, 2016, 09:28:46 PM
The miners are doing everything they can, but that's clearly not enough.
Check this one:

https://btc.com/000000000000000002e4403e2babdccfe89704277ea48e1ab3ed5957cdfb1f24

That block contains 2,469 transactions (is this the new record?), and it's nearly touching the 1MB block size limit at 998,085 Bytes.

I'm still waiting for larger block sizes, or SegWit which could assuredly help on the short term, but meanwhile there is no other solution than to go for larger fees, with the risk of making BTC less popular.

Miners, and all BTC developers should understand that BTC's growth requires a growing infrastructure and includes a growing block size. Visa wasn't able to handle thousands of transactions every second some decades ago, but Visa has good managers and they anticipated the growth of the network. BTC needs to do the same. If I'm reasonable, I'd say the block size should be increased 50% each year.

Nope, saw one by HaoBTC for 3200 transactions yesterday,

Theoretical limit is 4200 transactions per block.

Cool
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
November 23, 2016, 09:10:32 PM
If this issue persists, I think more people would hesitate to make transactions nad just wait a while until some solutions are set into place. Even if the transaction fees are increased and there is still substantial delay, many would be turned off by this slow progress.
Activity: 595
Merit: 251
November 23, 2016, 09:01:18 PM
74,803 Unconfirmed Transactions

Activity: 364
Merit: 250
November 23, 2016, 08:48:01 PM
That's why I'm not making any transaction right now(last days)... You need a higher fee to make your transaction goes fast...

legendary
November 23, 2016, 08:04:57 PM
Do you realize that relying on the fees paid in the previous block as an indicator of fees needed for the next block is not deterministic?

a block with 1,2 BTC and 1300 tx ... and a block with 3300 tx and 0,8 BTC of fees : yes, it's correct for estimate the proper fees.

and it's work since 1 year in Bitcoin Core.
legendary
November 23, 2016, 08:00:41 PM
if you pay the right fees  ... you have no problem to be include in the next block.

Do you realize that relying on the fees paid in the previous block as an indicator of fees needed for the next block is not deterministic?

And that is even if miners were not completely free to choose for themselves which transactions they will collate to mine upon.
legendary
November 23, 2016, 07:56:40 PM
... Roger Ver whose are on record saying that he would pay miners to push the software that he likes

Fascinating. Quote?
legendary
legendary
Activity: 3052
Merit: 1047
Your country may be your worst enemy
November 23, 2016, 07:46:07 PM
The miners are doing everything they can, but that's clearly not enough.
Check this one:

https://btc.com/000000000000000002e4403e2babdccfe89704277ea48e1ab3ed5957cdfb1f24

That block contains 2,469 transactions (is this the new record?), and it's nearly touching the 1MB block size limit at 998,085 Bytes.

I'm still waiting for larger block sizes, or SegWit which could assuredly help on the short term, but meanwhile there is no other solution than to go for larger fees, with the risk of making BTC less popular.

Miners, and all BTC developers should understand that BTC's growth requires a growing infrastructure and includes a growing block size. Visa wasn't able to handle thousands of transactions every second some decades ago, but Visa has good managers and they anticipated the growth of the network. BTC needs to do the same. If I'm reasonable, I'd say the block size should be increased 50% each year.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1007
November 23, 2016, 07:44:34 PM
Want to do something about it.

Everyone BoyCott BTC for 24 hours because of the Ignored Transaction Problems
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1690300.new#new

Cool

FYI:
It was higher the 50,000 earlier today.

Yes, I have seen it that it was more than 50,000 unconfirmed transaction and keeps on adding. I am also puzzeled whether we lack miners or it is due to not exact fees per bytes that keeps them less priority.

Last time i checked every block is full so its got nothing to do with a lack of miners or low fees.

WHAT IS GOING ON. THERE ARE SO MANY UNCONFIRMED TRANSACTIONS.

ARE WE GOING TO THE MOON? IS IT HAPPENING?
Unconfirmed likely because someone decided to put something in way too early and everyone is using a service that's now locking up.

That or we're experiencing a spam attack on the network; something not completely out of the realm of possibility, however unlikely.

The value isn't moving right now, doubtful we're going to the moon right now.
Pages:
Jump to: