Pages:
Author

Topic: X6500 Custom FPGA Miner - page 18. (Read 219829 times)

Activity: 281
Merit: 100
April 04, 2012, 12:28:26 AM
R2 and R8 are 0805 sized resistors. They are not terribly hard to solder, compared to say 0402 sized parts, but replacing R8 might be more of a challenge because of it's location.

A small soldering iron, good light, some soldering (not plumbing) flux, desoldering braid/wick and a pair of tweezers (failing that, a toothpick) should make short work of this.

Hi, sorry to be a pain but can you link me to the right resistor? There are some options and I want to be sure I am getting the right one. I checked Radioshacks website and looks like I am going to have to order them. Amazon has this http://www.amazon.com/Thin-Film-Tech-Precision-Continuous/dp/B0015DZIGC . Or would you guys just consider selling a few and shipping usps priority for some btc (would like to attempt this weekend)? Most the other stuff I have but I may need to get a smaller tip for the iron or upgrade.

I am at 0 invalids on the 200mhz firmware with copper and air but would love to push it a little after I get really good cooling so figured I might as well make this change. What kind of head room are you guys seeing?
Activity: 157
April 03, 2012, 02:08:55 PM
R2 and R8 are 0805 sized resistors. They are not terribly hard to solder, compared to say 0402 sized parts, but replacing R8 might be more of a challenge because of it's location.

A small soldering iron, good light, some soldering (not plumbing) flux, desoldering braid/wick and a pair of tweezers (failing that, a toothpick) should make short work of this.

Activity: 720
Merit: 525
April 02, 2012, 04:27:27 AM
In the last couple weeks, we've been experimenting with different FPGA core voltages (VCCINT). Our measurements have shown that on most rev3 boards, performance can be increased significantly by slightly increasing this voltage. Because of this, all rev3 boards starting today will be shipped with VCCINT set to 1.23V (instead of the original 1.20V). This applies to all boards shipped on or after 3/29/2012.

While this increases the board's power consumption slightly (data here), it also increases the potential limit on clock rate, which is especially useful with the new "overclocker" bitstreams.

If anyone would like to increase the core voltages on an older board, it simply means swapping two resistors (R2 and R8). You can either attempt this yourself or send it back to us and we'll do the work free of charge. We only ask that you pay the return shipping charge.

I am contemplating this… Just to be clear it is taking the resistor from the R2 spot and putting it in the R8 spot (both by the upright voltage regulators?) and vice versa.  I think that is what you are saying but better safe than sorry. I don’t have a magnifying glass but it looks like it says 1911 (or 1161) on both of them and I did not see them in the schematic.  They are pretty small and in a semi tight spot. If they were one of the bigger ones I would not hesitate to do it. I am going to do some research on how to solder this myself because the shipping and downtime sounds like a costly pain. Do you have any tips off hand for working with these tiny resistors? I may look to find a local place to do it if I can’t or just not rock the boat at all.

Sorry, "swapping" was a bad word choice. Those two resistors need to be replaced with 1.82k resistors (they are 1.91k). Unless you are getting a lot of invalids at higher clock rates, you should probably not make this change. It will reduce invalids (or increase the clock rate at which invalids start appearing), but if you have 0% invalids now, you can't get any lower than that!
April 02, 2012, 03:54:26 AM
In the last couple weeks, we've been experimenting with different FPGA core voltages (VCCINT). Our measurements have shown that on most rev3 boards, performance can be increased significantly by slightly increasing this voltage. Because of this, all rev3 boards starting today will be shipped with VCCINT set to 1.23V (instead of the original 1.20V). This applies to all boards shipped on or after 3/29/2012.

While this increases the board's power consumption slightly (data here), it also increases the potential limit on clock rate, which is especially useful with the new "overclocker" bitstreams.

If anyone would like to increase the core voltages on an older board, it simply means swapping two resistors (R2 and R8). You can either attempt this yourself or send it back to us and we'll do the work free of charge. We only ask that you pay the return shipping charge.

I am contemplating this… Just to be clear it is taking the resistor from the R2 spot and putting it in the R8 spot (both by the upright voltage regulators?) and vice versa.  I think that is what you are saying but better safe than sorry. I don’t have a magnifying glass but it looks like it says 1911 (or 1161) on both of them and I did not see them in the schematic.  They are pretty small and in a semi tight spot. If they were one of the bigger ones I would not hesitate to do it. I am going to do some research on how to solder this myself because the shipping and downtime sounds like a costly pain. Do you have any tips off hand for working with these tiny resistors? I may look to find a local place to do it if I can’t or just not rock the boat at all.

NM found some good Youtubes on surface mount soldering .. still looks pretty small to me though.
Activity: 531
Merit: 505
April 01, 2012, 05:44:09 PM
OK, OK, next time I will explicitly append this:  Wink
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
FPGA Mining LLC
April 01, 2012, 05:23:46 PM
    X8000 Sneak Peak

A Sneak Peak at the first 3MH/s/$ FPGA Miner!

X8000: Deep Purple Prototype:

Preliminary Details:
    • 1.8 GH/s guaranteed, 2.4 GH/s typical.
    • $595.99 USD + Shipping/Tax.

Must be FAKE. All seems legit, but you made a mistake which reveals you - I never saw purple board from any suplier .. ![/list]

...even very popular boards:
    Activity: 285
    Merit: 250
    Turning money into heat since 2011.
    April 01, 2012, 04:56:51 PM
    I almost spit coffee on my monitor!  Too funny!
    donator
    Activity: 490
    April 01, 2012, 04:38:11 PM
    You had me, I was almost ready to send in my pre-order
    Activity: 714
    Psi laju, karavani prolaze.
    April 01, 2012, 04:03:25 PM
    Must be FAKE. All seems legit, but you made a mistake which reveals you - I never saw purple board from any suplier .. !

Activity: 531
    Merit: 505
    April 01, 2012, 03:49:38 PM
    X8000 Sneak Peak

Preliminary Details:

Must be FAKE. All seems legit, but you made a mistake which reveals you - I never saw purple board from any suplier .. ![/list]
    April 01, 2012, 02:14:05 PM
    That was just mean.... Respect
    Activity: 518
    April 01, 2012, 08:26:37 AM
    Almost got me a heart attack. A FPGA like that really will change the mining landscape.

Happy now that my GPUs are still going to be humming happily after all.
    Activity: 560
    Merit: 501
    April 01, 2012, 08:16:15 AM
    You got me. I confess.
    legendary
    Activity: 1302
    Merit: 1008
    April 01, 2012, 08:10:18 AM
    Activity: 199
    April 01, 2012, 06:59:40 AM
    you almost got me haha
    Activity: 252
    Inactive
    April 01, 2012, 06:35:21 AM
    funny
    Activity: 560
    Merit: 517
    April 01, 2012, 06:27:46 AM
    X8000 Sneak Peak

Howdy guys. Fizzisist asked me to fill you guys in the upcoming design for the X8000, code named Deep Purple. This is the next revision of our board. It's a little ways off from being complete, since we plan to revamp the USB interface to handle the increased hashing performance. But I've got a picture from li_gangyi of the prototype:

Preliminary Details:
    • Dual Virtex-6 FPGAs.
    • USB interface for configuration and mining communication.
    • Power supplied through 4-pin Molex connector or 5.5 x 2.1 mm barrel connector (wall wart style).
    • 50 W power consumption measured at 2.2 GH/s (more measurements pending).
    • Independent protection fuses on each power connector.
    • JTAG available for development and debugging (headers are not populated by default).
    • Independent temperature monitoring for each FPGA.
    • Heatsink mounting holes, compatible with many heatsinks designed for the Northbridge chipset.
    • Additional clearance to allow for larger heatsinks.
    • 3-pin headers to power 2 standard 12V fans.
    • Draws from the 12V supply at the Molex connector.
    • LEDs to indicate that the FPGAs are configured properly.
    • Mounting hole size diameter increased to allow for #6 size screws.
    • 98 x 85.5 mm (3.86 x 3.37 inch) overall size

Again, this is just a prototype, but we're hoping to cram a few more features in there in the weeks following April 1st.

Activity: 720
    Merit: 525
    April 01, 2012, 04:11:27 AM
    wow, didn't realize there was a fizzisist fork of the modular miner....runs much more smoothly, way fewer stales on gpumax.

cheers Cheesy

I'm slightly puzzled...

Fizzisist's fork only has some minor overclocking-related changes, and is based on a discontinued version?

Yup. After running for a while, stales went back up... Guess it was just some early luck. Oh well.

Heh, yeah, that would have been really odd... Smiley

TheSeven's master branch should really have all the features of mine now, and have the awesome web UI, so I strongly recommend that.
    Activity: 447
    April 01, 2012, 12:46:03 AM
    wow, didn't realize there was a fizzisist fork of the modular miner....runs much more smoothly, way fewer stales on gpumax.

cheers Cheesy

I'm slightly puzzled...

Fizzisist's fork only has some minor overclocking-related changes, and is based on a discontinued version?

Yup. After running for a while, stales went back up... Guess it was just some early luck. Oh well.
    Activity: 504
    FPGA Mining LLC
    March 31, 2012, 10:02:07 PM

cheers Cheesy

I'm slightly puzzled...

Pages:
    Jump to: