Pages:
Author

Topic: [XMR] Moderated Monero General Discussion Thread - page 5. (Read 11177 times)

legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
(crypto does not deserve to be classified as "investing")

If you are going to make a statement like that than you need to qualify it. Many if not most people on this forum would disagree. If you are going to make an assertion that almost everyone would disagree with than it needs to be accompanied by an argument, else it looks a lot like trolling.

The gambling/investing assertion wasn't necessary for my primary point.  Fear & greed are the two emotional sides of eithe gambling or investing.  I could write a long post explaining my perception of the two but I'm on my phone right now o.0

That's imposing the argument that negative energies must create "negative" energies. But isn't Love and Hate a more apt to any ying/yang model. I would say the opposite of Greed is Giving and the opposite of Cowardice is Bravery--I changed fear to cowardice because fear is a primary energy that can be viewed as good or bad. I'm afraid of being arrested, so I follow laws: I'm afraid of not getting rich, so I break the law; I'm afraid of not living my life completely, so I grab a hold as many experiences as possible; I'm afraid of the unknown, so I don't try new things....
legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

If you are going to make a statement like that than you need to qualify it. Many if not most people on this forum would disagree. If you are going to make an assertion that almost everyone would disagree with than it needs to be accompanied by an argument, else it looks a lot like trolling.

The gambling/investing assertion wasn't necessary for my primary point.  Fear & greed are the two emotional sides of eithe gambling or investing.  I could write a long post explaining my perception of the two but I'm on my phone right now o.0
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217

legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009
Fear is the natural opposite side of greed when it comes to investing/gambling (crypto does not deserve to be classified as "investing")

legendary
Activity: 1750
Facts are more efficient than fud
From the quiescence of this thread, in contrast to the rapid growth of the free-for-all thread, I feel forced to conclude that people are idiots.

Wait, you're what, 45 to 55?  And you're just concluding that? 

I don't believe you.

Many people are motivated by fear--and I believe the motivating fear acting here is: if you let trolls rule the unmoderated thread, that new users will be influenced by FUD and the adoption rate won't increase. At least that's why some days, and depending on my anxiety level,  I go to the wasteland instead of relaxing on a nice soft comfy chair.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
From the quiescence of this thread, in contrast to the rapid growth of the free-for-all thread, I feel forced to conclude that people are idiots.

Wait, you're what, 45 to 55?  And you're just concluding that? 

I don't believe you.

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
Activity: 649
Merit: 500
@aminorex: it wasn't directed at you. Just pulling 5w00p's leg. Smiley
legendary
The existence of an XMR/fiat exchange with coverage of EUR and USD in a developed jurisdiction seems very positive to me.  It means that XMR will be less coupled to BTC, and accessible to anyone willing to send funds by bank wire or SEPA.  It may constitute a liquidity event, if interest is high enough.  However, it will not make XMR more usable.  Only DB and GUI work can do that.
^^^ Sorry, what were you saying?

I noticed that HitBTC already has BTC/EURO and LTC/EURO pairs. Do you think it would be a stretch to add an XMR/EUR pair?

They already have the infrastructure/legal stuff to receive funds in EURO and XMR. So given enough incentive it should be feasible. Am I missing something?

Yes, I think you are missing the fact that those two coins have MUCH greater market cap than XMR.

http://coinmarketcap.com/
legendary
Activity: 264
Merit: 250
It would be nice if MEW or the core devs set up a Monero wiki, similar to the Bitcoin wiki (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Main_Page). It's a bit hard for newbies to navigate Bitcointalk to find accurate and up-to-date information, given the level of anti-Monero FUD and trolling.

There is one here http://monero.wikia.com/ but it is focused on development. Personally, I find it a shame to "burn" the monero name for development wiki - it should have a greater scheme than that. I don't remember who is the creator of the wiki, but I suggest anyway that we start writing some topics out of dev here. It is always possible to use a "development" category to isolate devving from the rest.

Greetings!

I am the creator of the wiki, and it was primarily made with a purpose of creating space for official development-related schemes. I asked the dev team whether there should be content for the general audience, but they told me that they were already working on a wiki, if I recall correctly.

Anyway, PM me if you want to have administrator access to the Monero Wikia page.
legendary
Thanks for the reply david. OP updated.
Activity: 644
Merit: 502
I noticed that HitBTC already has BTC/EURO and LTC/EURO pairs. Do you think it would be a stretch to add an XMR/EUR pair?

They already have the infrastructure/legal stuff to receive funds in EURO and XMR. So given enough incentive it should be feasible. Am I missing something?

Yes, I think you are missing the fact that those two coins have MUCH greater market cap than XMR.

http://coinmarketcap.com/

Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
It would be nice if MEW or the core devs set up a Monero wiki, similar to the Bitcoin wiki (https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Main_Page). It's a bit hard for newbies to navigate Bitcointalk to find accurate and up-to-date information, given the level of anti-Monero FUD and trolling.

There is one here http://monero.wikia.com/ but it is focused on development. Personally, I find it a shame to "burn" the monero name for development wiki - it should have a greater scheme than that. I don't remember who is the creator of the wiki, but I suggest anyway that we start writing some topics out of dev here. It is always possible to use a "development" category to isolate devving from the rest.

The emission curve on deletions in this thread needs to be examined, and perhaps adjusted.

From anon136:

Yes I will do this. From this point on if its not troll or containing of demonstrably false information it will not be deleted from this thread.

*edit* Also responses to troll or fud posts. If I see something that I just deleted quoted than I'm going to delete that also. The idea behind this policy is that i dont think it makes a terrible amount of sense to delete a fud or troll post and then still have it present in its entirety one post below the one i just deleted. The draw back is that certainly it will result in some entirely well meaning responses being deleted. Interested to know if you guys agree with this policy. These rules are not at all ridged and definitely subject to chance, interested in any constructive feedback. I'm quickly learning just how much harder this job is than one might anticipate.
I'd say: if the post with a deleted post only contains replies to the troll/FUD, it should be deleted too - after all, replying to trolls is almost trolling by itself. If the post contains both reply and unrelated content, PM the author to modify the text. Finally, the OP should be updated with this rule (e.g. the small letters at the end of the post).

BTW, 2629 votes on Cryptsy.

Update: interesting discussion on the MEW thread regarding which project to priorize.
legendary
There is a proposal in the MEW concerning whether we officially expose the instigators

I for one would very much like to know.
donator
I will just present a quick list of recent developments re: me and Monero

- We rested after the "BCX attack/FUD" was put to rest. We haven't written the chronology yet. There is a proposal in the MEW concerning whether we officially expose the instigators or refrain from doing this and just hope that they will stop the dirty tricks and rather concentrate on building a strong community in their own coin instead. In Monero even this kind of things are decided by the community.

- David Latapie is in charge of the membership and communication affairs of the MEW, I will more be in charge of the internal affairs.

- To celebrate David's nomination to the Hotel Manager of the Grand Hotel Malla and the simultaneous nomination of him, me, and NewLiberty to the executives of MEW, we decided to have a Grand Dinner. The dinner lasted 8 hours. The pic is with Maria Jones from CoinTelegraph.

- I met again the provider of "20 Monero Pizzas", Andres Jaadla the mayor of Rakvere (the county capital of Malla). He still does not have Bitcoin, only Monero. Yet he is building a Smart House Competence Centre in the town. His strong wish was that we arrange a Bitcoin ATM in the lobby of this state-or-the-environmental technology new construction.

- In Tallinn in the Reception by Ambassador of Azerbaijan yesterday, my team (me, David and Dr. Choo) was introduced to many well-connected people including Ambassadors and Ministers. The contacts did not immediately lead to anyone buying Moneros but that was only because the event was just an introduction cocktail party.

- Monero still seems much easier to sell to both junior and senior people alike than Bitcoin. It seems evident that the recent attacks have made the speculator community to shrink in size (because all my friends have just bought more, someone has to have been selling..) but this will be compensated with senior non-crypto people entering in. Unfortunately for altcoiners, there is not much early adopter advantage if you continue to sell this cheap, even at a loss.

- I have a high level of trust both in the core team and in the executives and members of MEW, that in the next few weeks we can make the ecosystem of Monero much stronger. Also the infrastructure developments and services are constantly maturing behind the scenes. The future looks bright to me, and I will have more time myself to contribute now, as the 1.5-week conference is once again over Smiley

legendary
Activity: 1204
Merit: 1002
Gresham's Lawyer
I checked your link and it has links to the ANN thread, this thread, a post on reddit with a positive view on the latest "attack", and the Lifeboat Foundation taking Monero for donations. 

There was also a link in reference to Moneero which is one of the names of a person involved with a company in Uruguay.

Maybe I didn't look deeply enough but it doesn't seem like an anti XMR troll campaign to me.

Disclaimer:  I don't use Twitter or any other "social media"
I don't use Twitter either. I saw a lot of links to FUD XMR threads. I checked the link again and it's completely different now.

Maybe the person with the qooglealert either edited the feed or improved the query?
Accurate criticisms are great, but there is also no shortage of inaccurate criticisms.
Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable
I checked your link and it has links to the ANN thread, this thread, a post on reddit with a positive view on the latest "attack", and the Lifeboat Foundation taking Monero for donations. 

There was also a link in reference to Moneero which is one of the names of a person involved with a company in Uruguay.

Maybe I didn't look deeply enough but it doesn't seem like an anti XMR troll campaign to me.

Disclaimer:  I don't use Twitter or any other "social media"
I don't use Twitter either. I saw a lot of links to FUD XMR threads. I checked the link again and it's completely different now.
Pages:
Jump to: