Pages:
Author

Topic: [XMR] Moderated Monero General Discussion Thread - page 2. (Read 11177 times)

pa
Activity: 528
Merit: 501
Is there any news regarding Monero and I2p development.   

I think we are due for a Missive soon.
legendary
Activity: 1372
Merit: 1003
Is there any news regarding Monero and I2p development.   
legendary
Activity: 1484
Still wild and free
Poloniex still a small exchange, liquidity is set to improve a lot when Cryptsy start trading Monero.

The same has been said about Mintpal. It's not guaranteed.

yeah, Monero needs the GUI and db finished, time is running out.

^ This.
It does not need to be perfect, but we need something very tangible and very soon.

Having a thoroughly thought, well-designed generic interface to any possible DB backend is cool, but if it comes when interest has faded away or the rest of the world consider we did a community mine, it's all wasted work.
Similarly, having a beautiful ergonomic wallet, with broad features and several languages perfectly translated is largely wasted if it comes too late.

I would love to see public beta (o alpha) versions, the community can also help to iteratively polish details then.
I have a feeling of excessive perfectionism from the core team. (we should aim at that, but not release only once we have reached that). I may be completely wrong, but this is the feeling I get being outside the core team, and following Monero very closely (not the git repo though).

So yes, Monero needs the GUI and db reasonably functional, because indeed time is running out.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
MoneroPool.com is fluctuating close to 50% of the total network hashrate (sometimes goes even above 50%).
Could the devs post here and in the unmoderated thread to urge miners to spread the hashrate around a bit? (It wouldn't hurt to mention cryptonotepool.org.uk as a pool donating 100% of fees to development, and also updated with the latest patch)
I know you have done this many times, but apparently it wasn't enough.

^ Important.

If you are mining on moneropool.com, please spread out to other pools. There is a list of pools here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/xmr-monero-a-secure-private-untraceable-cryptocurrency-583449

If possible please allocate some of your hash to solo mining. One way to do that is to solo mine on your CPU while you pool mine on your GPUs. You will get steady payments from your pool mining with maximum contribution to the security of the network and sporadic but bigger rewards from your solo mining. Likewise, if you are running a wallet/node/client, please activate mining in the node using the start_mining command. Every bit of hash rate helps.

In all cases with pool mining please make sure you have backup pools configured, especially with smaller pools as backups, since DDoS against larger pools is always a serious threat to any coin.
Activity: 400
Merit: 263
MoneroPool.com is fluctuating close to 50% of the total network hashrate (sometimes goes even above 50%).
Could the devs post here and in the unmoderated thread to urge miners to spread the hashrate around a bit? (It wouldn't hurt to mention cryptonotepool.org.uk as a pool donating 100% of fees to development, and also updated with the latest patch)

This.

I can't believe the mental inertia of some people.

Spread your hashes!
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
First little batch of physical Monero coins is ready. It's brass, silver plated. Pure silver coins should come later. Each coin has unique ID that can be binded at our site to Monero address of your choice. Site is not finished yet, we are currently testing and polishing it. But in general it's working as alpha version.

Here is the short video of the Coins:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bstp1domvay61wv/new%20coin.mp4?dl=0

If you are interested to get a Coin and did not contacted me before, please PM.

Very shiny.
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
First little batch of physical Monero coins is ready. It's brass, silver plated. Pure silver coins should come later. Each coin has unique ID that can be binded at our site to Monero address of your choice. Site is not finished yet, we are currently testing and polishing it. But in general it's working as alpha version.

Here is the short video of the Coins:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bstp1domvay61wv/new%20coin.mp4?dl=0

If you are interested to get a Coin and did not contacted me before, please PM.
Activity: 58
Merit: 0
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
(Missive soon?).

Missive is planned for Monday so probably better to take up these issues again after that.

I understand there is a great deal on our plate.

Am hoping to find out about
binaries for the latest release
changes in fee structure
db

I am also sure there is something else on peoples' minds.

No need to respond to the details of my post, I will patiently wait.  Thank you and everybody who contributes in any way they can.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011
Monero Evangelist
Yeah, I give you and everybody else full citation and link the source.
I believe information is free. Yes, still an act of professionalism to ask for permission.

As I want to support Monero out of belief, I am going work as good and professional as I can, to make the site as good as possible/perfect.
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
rpietila: I going to setup an Monero related website, will be: mostly text-based, fact-based, HQ content info portal.

I would like to ask you, if I am allowed to use some of your very good writings/postings about Monero on this forum, mostly from your observer thread?
I want to "preserve" this content, type of information, so its on the web and burried in the thread.

Yes, I believe information is free. If you want to attribute it to me, then please quote in context! Smiley
legendary
Monero Evangelist
rpietila: I going to setup an Monero related website, will be: mostly text-based, fact-based, HQ content info portal.

I would like to ask you, if I am allowed to use some of your very good writings/postings about Monero on this forum, mostly from your observer thread?
I want to "preserve" this content, type of information, so its on the web and burried in the thread.
donator
Thanks! I didn't get that was the thread with the actual content, sorry.

Well it kind of isn't, because the internal discussion happens in an IRC group open for members. It is totally non-functional idea to "separate" MEW from the community it is representing and serving, so the discussion about the topics is still possible in the Monero threads here, like it has been so far.
legendary
Monero Evangelist
Subbed.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
How much monero do mew members have to have?

10 XMR is the minimum fee. This nominally corresponds to 1000 XMR holdings, although you can be much smaller or bigger if you like.

Can you direct me to the thread so I can read without joining? I read only version is fine as well.

MEW ANN.

Thanks! I didn't get that was the thread with the actual content, sorry.
legendary
Still wild and free
(Missive soon?).

Missive is planned for Monday so probably better to take up these issues again after that.

Ok, sure. Good to hear it's coming Smiley
donator
Like smooth above, I also lived some time in confusion regarding the imminent development funding crisis. Since we have now got MEW communication tools up and running, the hearing today was very reassuring. There is no funding crisis. No significant extra funds could not even be committed right now, since the bottleneck in development is not money but qualified developers, and I am happy to say that we are in the forefront regarding this already, with more in the pipeline.  Smiley My proposal of a 20,000 XMR fundraiser was actually turned down! It is waiting for the time when it is needed.

MEW membership fees have already contributed 3,000+ XMR to the development, and this sum is expected to increase when MEW shows its usefulness and also in preparation for important votes coming later this year. Votepower is based on the amount contributed.

The future looks bright, especially considering that in USD terms, Moneros are now in 40% discount compared to as little as 1 month ago, and even in BTC terms, they are 25% cheaper.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
(Missive soon?).

donator
How much monero do mew members have to have?

10 XMR is the minimum fee. This nominally corresponds to 1000 XMR holdings, although you can be much smaller or bigger if you like.

Can you direct me to the thread so I can read without joining? I read only version is fine as well.

MEW ANN.
legendary
Still wild and free
I don't know how close the GUI is from being functional. (Missive soon?).
But I think a beta version should be released as soon as possible. Even if not all detail features are there, even if the texts and traductions are not perfect.

And this, even if the database is not ready.
For a long time I thought the GUI was pointless when the DB was not ready, I think this was and is maybe still the consensus. But I changed my mind, mainly because of the time passed already, and therefore the possible accusations of "community mine" that will only keep growing. We are still seen as "as fair as possible", but not for a long time ahead.

Let's say so far Monero is for highly techy people. With the GUI (and without the DB), it can reach out to mildly techy people. We should not wait to have everything polished, all components like the DB ready, available to the low techy people, to release it.

If an official GUI is released as "Beta", or even "Alpha", and you need 4 or 6GB or RAM to run it, it's perfectly fine as long as requirements are clear. But we could already expand the user base to the mildly techies, and counter all possible accusations.

It can send and receive transactions? If yes, that is enough to release it. The only drawback is the possible required support to provide to users, but again, if it's clearly advertised as "Beta" or "Alpha", it's not much of a problem. The community at large can also handle support, not only the devs behind the GUI.

Sidenote, for the same reason I think the website should be updated. At this point it might be better to improve it incrementally rather than wait for perfection of completion of everything to release it.

In general I know there is a lot of work done by the core team, I am grateful to them. With all due respect, however, I think Monero needs some visible and tangible stuff to be released asap, and surely there are some stuff for which it's feasible in their current beta state.
Pages:
Jump to: