Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1042. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
reminder: there is a button on the lower right that can be used to report off-topic posts.

Please use it when posts are actually off topic or otherwise violate forum rules (and only then)

Oh come on. You are kidding right? Report to moderators? Maybe if they are spamming uncontrollably. But how old are we? We are supposed to "taddle tale" on people to the "grown ups"?

I know this thread is a whole lot of fun right now but let's not forget it has a purpose of discussing Monero. If the post isn't discussing Monero (could be positive or negative doesn't matter) it doesn't belong here. That's not just spamming but it could include spamming.

EDIT: But if people will restrain themselves and not post off topic stuff such as a list of threads about another coin and talk of hypothetical abuse of the trust system obviously intended to intimidate, the moderators need not be bothered.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
reminder: there is a button on the lower right that can be used to report off-topic posts.

Please use it when posts are actually off topic or otherwise violate forum rules (and only then)

Oh come on. You are kidding right? Report to moderators? Maybe if they are spamming uncontrollably. But how old are we? We are supposed to "taddle tale" on people to the "grown ups"?
legendary

Activity: 700
Merit: 500
You guys should have MUCH thinker skins than you do.

We've had to put up with a non-stop barrage of trolling from "you guys" in our thread.  Look for yourself.  Anything you can do to put a leash on some of your attack dogs would go a long way towards saving your trust rating. Wink

EDIT

I can't be held responsible for the actions of others in regards to your trust rating, but if you apologize...

If you look closely at the OPs of those threads none of them seems to be a Monero holder.

Stop generalising a whole community if one or a couple trolls/overzealous supporters come to your thread.
legendary
It wasnt a name calling contest. It was a discussion of the tech.

really?  Compare this statement:
---------------------------
The problem that i see with dark is not necessarily whether it works or not. This criticism applies even if it does work. My big problem, and the reason I didn't buy it a long time ago even though I was shopping for anonymity focused projects, is that its just so god damn inelegant. Its like instead of approaching the problem from a fresh perspective and inventing something novel and clever, the devs decided to take the whack a mole approach. You whack the first problem over the head with a blunt instrument, this creates more problems, and you whack those over the head with another bunt instrument, thus creating more problems. The way i picture it in my head, and we see this in cartoons sometimes, someone is trying to stop a hose from spraying so they stick their thumb in the hole, the pressure builds up and water sprays out of another hole somewhere, and they stick their toe in that hole, then water erupts from somewhere else and they stick their other thumb in that hole. This is all I could picture in my head while hearing a description of dark for the first time.

Its just so god damned ugly. Maybe it works, but even if it does it's a vulgar solution to the problem, where as ring signatures and unlikable deterministic addresses is so beautiful and elegant and simple. Reading the white paper for the first time I was just struck with the beauty and elegance of the approach.
with this statement
Coins need to be mixed so you guys implement coinjoin at the protocol level. But then you cant just have every random user hosting coinjoin sessions because then you would open an attack vector for troll coinjoin hosts so you make master nodes. But then you cant just have anyone joining in the coinjoin because you could dos by requesting transactions but not signing so you implement the idea of collateral to be part of the session. But then now you have no incentive for the masternodes to form so you give them part of the collateral. It wouldnt be mixed enough if you did this at the transaction level so you have the blockchain tumbling peoples coins all the time. This is ridiculously expensive so you greatly subsidize the darksend transactions inorder to hide the huge cost of anonymity in your system. Now you have to worry about people trying to send transactions to each other through darksend so you have to try to come up with some clever mechanism to avoid this problem.

Its just like I described in my post. Plugging up the first hole but then new ones appear so you try to plug those up. Its an analogy of course but, in my mind, its an apt one and there is certainly reasons behind it. it wasn't just senseless name calling.

see the difference?

BTW, your revised explanation is VERY inaccurate.

I am quite certain that it misses and misrepresents some of the details. But i think the general point that i was trying to make holds.

And yes i guess you do have a point. Perhaps i could have explained more in the post, but it wasn't intended to get into all of the details, and i didn't want to make it too long. People dont read posts that are too long. I was prepared to explain my reasoning as soon as someone from drk challenged it. And that way it would be broken into a few smaller posts which might actually be read. No one ever challenged it though, which is, again, part of the reason i came soliciting in your thread.

But again, i never acted like a troll in your thread. And the comment we are discussing was made in a place where it was appropriate. You guys should have MUCH thinker skins than you do. That doesn't really apply to you either. You seem pretty cool.
Activity: 671

really?  Compare this statement:
The problem that i see with dark is not necessarily whether it works or not. This criticism applies even if it does work. My big problem, and the reason I didn't buy it a long time ago even though I was shopping for anonymity focused projects, is that its just so god damn inelegant. Its like instead of approaching the problem from a fresh perspective and inventing something novel and clever, the devs decided to take the whack a mole approach. You whack the first problem over the head with a blunt instrument, this creates more problems, and you whack those over the head with another bunt instrument, thus creating more problems. The way i picture it in my head, and we see this in cartoons sometimes, someone is trying to stop a hose from spraying so they stick their thumb in the hole, the pressure builds up and water sprays out of another hole somewhere, and they stick their toe in that hole, then water erupts from somewhere else and they stick their other thumb in that hole. This is all I could picture in my head while hearing a description of dark for the first time.

Its just so god damned ugly. Maybe it works, but even if it does it's a vulgar solution to the problem, where as ring signatures and unlikable deterministic addresses is so beautiful and elegant and simple. Reading the white paper for the first time I was just struck with the beauty and elegance of the approach.
with this statement
Coins need to be mixed so you guys implement coinjoin at the protocol level. But then you cant just have every random user hosting coinjoin sessions because then you would open an attack vector for troll coinjoin hosts so you make master nodes. But then you cant just have anyone joining in the coinjoin because you could dos by requesting transactions but not signing so you implement the idea of collateral to be part of the session. But then now you have no incentive for the masternodes to form so you give them part of the collateral. It wouldnt be mixed enough if you did this at the transaction level so you have the blockchain tumbling peoples coins all the time. This is ridiculously expensive so you greatly subsidize the darksend transactions inorder to hide the huge cost of anonymity in your system. Now you have to worry about people trying to send transactions to each other through darksend so you have to try to come up with some clever mechanism to avoid this problem.

Its just like I described in my post. Plugging up the first hole but then new ones appear so you try to plug those up. Its an analogy of course but, in my mind, its an apt one and there is certainly reasons behind it. it wasn't just senseless name calling.

see the difference?

BTW, your revised explanation is VERY inaccurate.
legendary
Quote from: rasputin
Yet you post that language in a "neutral" thread and invite DRK posters to read it?  Can you tell me why you are surprised by the reaction?

It wasn't trolling for me to invite you guys to come there and argue against comments like mine. A comment that i couldnt have you argue against in your thread because i didnt and wouldnt post something like that there. Because im not a troll!

You invite DRK posters to participate in a name calling contest?  Why not discuss the tech?

Yet you post that language in a "neutral" thread and invite DRK posters to read it?  Can you tell me why you are surprised by the reaction?

It wasn't trolling for me to invite you guys to come there and argue against comments like mine. A comment that i couldnt have you argue against in your thread because i didnt and wouldnt post something like that there. Because im not a troll!

You invite DRK posters to participate in a name calling contest?  Why not discuss the tech?
legendary

legendary
THIS is what got basically everyone to ignore me. How can people possibly be this delicate? Ive been on this forum since 2010 and i have a total of 14 people on my ignore list, since 2010! I cant even imagine how many people are on the ignore list of people THIS sensitive. (interestingly icebreaker is one of the lucky 14)

I don't think so.  This is what rubbed people the wrong way (bolding is mine):

So I guess I'll get this thing started.

That's really all I have to say. Also I just want to put this here. My nomination for dark mascot.

I'm sure if you EXPLAIN how these statements are supposed to be viewed...

Whats to explain. Thats how i feel about your project. Yes im on the monero side, but i never said anything negative about your project in your house. I never said that or anything even remotely like that in your thread. I wouldn't be disrespectful like that.

Its a neutral thread in the sense that both critics of monero and critics of dark are equally welcome there. its not neutral in the sense that there is some sort of implicit guarantee that no one will ever make a comment negative of one or the other project and that we will all hold hands and sing kumbaya.

We could just hold hands and talk about the most recent pump, the current pump, and the next pump.
legendary

Its a neutral thread in the sense that both critics of monero and critics of dark are equally welcome there. its not neutral in the sense that there is some sort of implicit guarantee that no one will ever make a comment negative of one or the other project and that we will all hold hands and sing kumbaya.
THIS is what got basically everyone to ignore me. How can people possibly be this delicate? Ive been on this forum since 2010 and i have a total of 14 people on my ignore list, since 2010! I cant even imagine how many people are on the ignore list of people THIS sensitive. (interestingly icebreaker is one of the lucky 14)

That's really all I have to say. Also I just want to put this here. My nomination for dark mascot.

Whats to explain. Thats how i feel about your project. Yes im on the monero side, but i never said anything negative about your project in your house. I never said that or anything even remotely like that in your thread. I wouldn't be disrespectful like that.

Yet you post that language in a "neutral" thread and invite DRK posters to read it?  Can you tell me why you are surprised by the reaction?
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
legendary
Activity: 1621
Merit: 1000
news.8btc.com
巴比特资讯页已经开通了竞争币的版块,在此诚邀各位竞争币作者入驻。
申请格式:
1. ID: (论坛ID与资讯ID是通用的,当然你也可以使用不同的ID)
2. 关注币种:二代币或其它。
3. 文章类型:翻译/ 原创

Monero columnist are invited on 8btc.com, which has been the 1# crypto currency meida and the most active community since 2011.

source: http://8btc.com/thread-14805-1-1.html

Please PM or email: miner#8btc.com.

门罗币的三大支柱 the 3 pillars of Monero
http://www.8btc.com/monero
legendary

Whats to explain. Thats how i feel about your project. Yes I'm on the monero side, that's no secret, but i never said anything negative about your project in your own house. I never said what you linked or anything even remotely like what you linked in your thread. I wouldn't be disrespectful like that. You wouldn't argue that having disagreements with your project innately makes me a troll even though i never expressed them even once in your thread, would you?

I don't think so.  This is what rubbed people the wrong way (bolding is mine):

legendary
They all have me blocked but I did nothing that could be construed as trolling.

That says a lot right there.

Come on it is normal when you speak to a vast community. Every community has its retards, noobs, fanboys, etc.
For every ICEbreaker here you'll find at least 3 of kind there.

I still says a lot about the bulk of the community. There are indeed a few people I can think of who are dark supporters and act like they are capable of displaying rational thought and behavior, but not many.

As someone else said the whole thing looks and feels more like a day trading club than a technology.

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1001

Come on it is normal when you speak to a vast community. Every community has its retards, noobs, fanboys, etc.
For every ICEbreaker here you'll find at least 3 of kind there.
legendary

This is it.

If there is someone here who can defend dark on this particular point:

Can we talk about this instant transaction thing. How does it supposedly work? In the world of crypto there are only 2 ways of doing transactions instantly. A trust based system or centralization. Has dark somehow over turned the metaphorical laws of gravity in the world of crypto or do they use one of those two. If they use one of those two what is the justification?
The masternodes lock the tx, even if a conflicting valid transaction gets mined they reject the block its in.

This opens a nice sort of attack where you can split the network (i.e. isolating MNs from each other)

You would be very welcome in our xmr vs drk discussion thread. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/xmr-vs-drk-1001642

It's fair and open and moderator is only deleting obvious troll posts.

Lol. Another one? Sorry but I'll pass on that xmr PR thread.
If you want to know about drk ask around on darkcointalk or check the github repository.

Its only an xmr pr thread because no one has come forward to competently defend your position. The moment someone does this, assuming your position has merit, than it could very easily be transformed into a dark pr thread. The point is to have open troll free discussion from both sides, im here as an emissary because we are distinctly lacking in the dark representative department. But there certainly is no lock, no means of filtering dark representatives out, its yours for the taking if you can take it.

legendary

Anon136, I don't know your history on bitcointalk but you should be aware that the vast majority of coins are like that. There is no interest in technical or other questioning or debate, no logical consistency, no real ethics (at best, apathy toward ethics, though many are literally deliberate frauds), it is all about how to make the price go up and how much the price is going up. You step in the way of that mob at your peril.

Jump to: