Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1081. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
If I understood correctly, the pool exploit that was just uncovered, only affects the honest miners that are on the same pool as a dishonest one. As the dishonest miner is exploiting the pool by boosting his share count, he is getting an unfair percentage of the overall reward distribution whenever a block is found on that pool.

The underlying point is that overall nethash should not be impacted at all, and neither is the total hashrate for any pool that was being exploited. It is only the internal distribution of shares within each pool that would be crooked, and penalizing the honest miners.

Can one of the pool ops confirm if my understanding is correct? Thanks!

You are correct.
legendary
Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001
If I understood correctly, the pool exploit that was just uncovered, only affects the honest miners that are on the same pool as a dishonest one. As the dishonest miner is exploiting the pool by boosting his share count, he is getting an unfair percentage of the overall reward distribution whenever a block is found on that pool.

The underlying point is that overall nethash should not be impacted at all, and neither is the total hashrate for any pool that was being exploited. It is only the internal distribution of shares within each pool that would be crooked, and penalizing the honest miners.

Can one of the pool ops confirm if my understanding is correct? Thanks!
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
Is it possible that this bug has already been utilized by someone?

Yes it is possible. In any system there are exploits and people to use them.

We can always see if the hashrate reported by pools drops a lot or not.

wow, check http://minexmr.com/pools.html

unknown + minergate has dropped a lot compared to the screengrab from the digest on wednesday

legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001
http://www.newsbtc.com/2015/03/13/new-company-to-provide-data-on-bitcoin-blockchain/

"Implications for Bitcoin

In providing financial institutions the means to obtain regulatory compliance through real-time analysis of the blockchain, Chainanalysis plans to automate the travel rule in ensuring that its customers know who they are transacting with. The company makes use of sophisticated in-depth transaction analysis on the blockchain, hence the name Chainanalysis."

There's definitely a strong market for privacy/anonymity. My only question is whether or not products that ride on top of BTC vs a separate block chain like XMR will be the mechanism for achieving this. I'm not sure about the outcome, but I'm hedging my BTC bet by holding XMR.
legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011
Is it true that the devs have no plan to develop an "official" gui? I think i remember reading that some where or hearing someone say something to this effect but i don't remember where.

lovingly FYP.

Beat me to it. Smiley
Activity: 649
Merit: 500

We can always see if the hashrate reported by pools drops a lot or not.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1190
https://github.com/sammy007/node-cryptonote-pool/pull/1

One 10 minute i paste tcpflow attack for understand .

legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
Is it true that the devs have no plan to develop an "official" gui? I think i remember reading that some where or hearing someone say something to this effect but i don't remember where.

lovingly FYP.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131

Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
Since we are talking about OpenAlias: if you use third level domain (like david.latapie.name), you can replace the first dot with a commercial at, to make it look like a email address (reminder: commercial at means location and email is just a subset - david@paris his meaningful). So [email protected] == david.latapie.name. Well, you can replace all dots (I think), so david@latapie@name or david.latapie@name would work too, but this doesn't mean it would make sense for the human behind the keyboard Smiley
Of course, it is better to also have an email address, to mitigate confusion, much like https://donate.monero.cc/ is meant to mitigate the confusion with donate.monero.cc.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1190
For pool admin you see pb now
And patch your self

One adress used : 496pFkHaZ92H64o2HA4DMejFZuVRL4U5e91sz3Gyn2U4dHrJMMGDpHHVFhg8beNRTijfi3NpGYYf52e oNRgFxSCvGsQAC6V

Rrad log and tcpdump
Activity: 994
Merit: 500
Hi,

On monero.crypto-pool.fr we discovered a flaw that affect the pool-code.
Someone could be stealing a big amount of hashrate for his profit.
As usual, my friend perl(btctalk)/onishin(irc) found a fix that will
be shared with all pool admins.

I wanted the users to know what's going on.
Go on IRC #monero-pools at 13:00 (1:00 P.M. GMT) for details.

Thanks,

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131
Hi,

On monero.crypto-pool.fr we discovered a flaw that affect the pool-code.
Someone could be stealing a big amount of hashrate for his profit.
As usual, my friend perl(btctalk)/onishin(irc) found a fix that will
be shared with all pool admins.

I wanted the users to know what's going on.
Go on IRC #monero-pools at 13:00 (1:00 P.M. GMT) for details.

Thanks,
Activity: 29
Merit: 0
[gratuitous post to show-off my new signature]

Smiley

Sunny California here, GingerBread. Grin

does openalias works with separated subdomains? mymonero.com could make some extra moneroj selling personalized mymonero.com/user openaliases.

yeah, I actually talked with fluffy about this and he said they had thought about it, but they have bigger fish to fry. I.e., it is doable, but would take time away from actually developing the core, so here we are again, monero being awesome.

Yeah, i've experimented with up to 1 level of subdomain so far... so blah.blippity.com

I think after that its just too many periods. I own paymonero.com and payxmr.com . If anyone wants an open alias there, let me know. I'll give away the first .... I dunno.... 25 for free for.... a year? After that, 30 XMR for 5 years? Currently, I don't have DNS-SEC set up (because i have to pay godaddy to do it because the site I registered on doesn't have them), so people will get that warning when they use it.

i wonder if my registrar will care that I'll have a bajillion text entries....

sure, you'll have to trust me, but if you want to avoid having to register a domain (and subsequent divulge personal information) this is one route.

I've been pondering though how to automate a type of security, wherein you would be notified if the dns entry became compromised (e.g., my password was hacked, the registrar was hacked... hrm, perhaps one could put the information into the monero blockchain (first X digits of address, with enough space left for the open alias address..) ... or this could just be an overcomplicated way of saying to just use namecoin as the registrar.... .

Most registrars do have DNS entry limits, and it's often annoying to add entries.  You may want to look into hosting your own (redundant) DNS.
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
How i can make it?
Editorial: What is OpenAlias

EDIT: and xmr.to and probably a few others I'm forgetting, sorry in advance.
Merchants and services directory

With regards to the forum, the official forum exists as a platform we're putting together because it will allow us to harness future developments like MoneroID and MoneroTrust (see the Design and Development Goals) and implement them in the forum, a task that would be significantly harder if we used anything else that was more generic.
This is important to know to address the many complaints regarding the forum. This is similar to the complaints about the GUI wallet: making a wrapper is easy and there was for long not enough communication about the GUI wallet being more than a wrapper.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
[gratuitous post to show-off my new signature]

Smiley

Sunny California here, GingerBread. Grin

does openalias works with separated subdomains? mymonero.com could make some extra moneroj selling personalized mymonero.com/user openaliases.

yeah, I actually talked with fluffy about this and he said they had thought about it, but they have bigger fish to fry. I.e., it is doable, but would take time away from actually developing the core, so here we are again, monero being awesome.

Yeah, i've experimented with up to 1 level of subdomain so far... so blah.blippity.com

I think after that its just too many periods. I own paymonero.com and payxmr.com . If anyone wants an open alias there, let me know. I'll give away the first .... I dunno.... 25 for free for.... a year? After that, 30 XMR for 5 years? Currently, I don't have DNS-SEC set up (because i have to pay godaddy to do it because the site I registered on doesn't have them), so people will get that warning when they use it.

i wonder if my registrar will care that I'll have a bajillion text entries....

sure, you'll have to trust me, but if you want to avoid having to register a domain (and subsequent divulge personal information) this is one route.

I've been pondering though how to automate a type of security, wherein you would be notified if the dns entry became compromised (e.g., my password was hacked, the registrar was hacked... hrm, perhaps one could put the information into the monero blockchain (first X digits of address, with enough space left for the open alias address..) ... or this could just be an overcomplicated way of saying to just use namecoin as the registrar.... .
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Yeah, but the developers need to find honest ways to fund the project, Monero has no instamine/premine (thank god) and no millions of USD in IPO or VC funding (actually a shame with so many stupid BTC projects overfunded).

As this coin grows there will be opportunities for better-funded startup businesses to develop add-on products and services just as there are for Bitcoin. We already have MyMonero and Crypto Kingdom (EDIT: see below), though they are still small, and more will follow. Some of those will contribute code back to the project directly and/or pay the salaries of developers who work on it, again as with Bitcoin. At the current market cap, Monero is just too small and risky for investors to put in the millions of dollars it would take to make any real difference, so we have to work as pioneers to build the technology and the market to that point first.

EDIT: and xmr.to and probably a few others I'm forgetting, sorry in advance.
Activity: 252
Merit: 251

does openalias works with separated subdomains?

yes

i'd love to see this feature on the monero forum though... preferably for free Wink
bind with database support exists and should work.

edit: in fact i posted that as an idea a few days ago: https://forum.getmonero.org/6/ideas/215/openalias-exchange-integration
Jump to: