Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1118. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1019
Missive for 2015-02-23 is out.

Missive Blog Post

Discussion Thread on the Official Forum

Cross-posted below:

We are moving to a new Missive format, it is now in the form of a podcast!

To download the podcast directly please use this link to the MP3, or use the HTML5 player on the blog post.

Community members are encouraged to transcribe it so that non-English speakers can benefit as well. A brief summary of the points discussed is:

1. The release of the new website, and the move to the getmonero.org domain

2. The publication of MRL-0004, Improving Obfuscation in the CryptoNote Protocol

3. Monero's design and development goals

Dev Diaries and External Projects will resume being covered from next week. Until then!

updated by fluffypony

Great. I love this new format. I can continue to work, while listening to the Missive. Thank you for this. +1000
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
getmonero.org
Guys, excellent missive and excellent website! Well done!

I liked very much the podcast style!
I also liked that you asked from the community to help in tasks. This should be continued in the missives. Asking about things that need to be done.
Finally its nice to see explaining crypto stuff and how actually things works with monero, problems and solutions.

I should continue checking the new website Cheesy

P.S. Fluffy, i make a complaint about the website and 1 week afterwards that a beautiful website pops out?  <3   

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
lightWallet can work with a full node. In fact it is distributed together with the node and blockchain bootstrap as a convenient single-download torrent
Updated, thanks. What is in the torrent? Source only, Windows binaries, other binaries, all binaries + sources, other?

Windows binaries. There are currently no other binaries for lightWallet, although it is a python program so it could likely be packaged for other platforms if someone does the work.

Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
lightWallet can work with a full node. In fact it is distributed together with the node and blockchain bootstrap as a convenient single-download torrent
Updated, thanks. What is in the torrent? Source only, Windows binaries, other binaries, all binaries + sources, other?
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
why attack now the 0.0017?
protect xmr against unexpected price declines is already a great task.

If there's ongoing discussion of how people are teaming up to manipulate the price in the main discussion thread, people won't think highly of this coin.

In my opinion taking out sell orders (read buying) isn't really price manipulation.
legendary
Wallet            Official        Graphical                          Binaries                Notes
                                                Windows       Mac       Linux    FreeBSD
lightWallet                                   (d/l)                                  source. Remote node only

Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
That, and people will pick their own favorite wallet anyway. Bitcoin has Electrum, Multibit, blockchain.info, etc. We have Lightwallet, .NET wallet, MyMonero, and maybe some others I'm forgetting.
Qt GUI.

Wallet             Official       Graphical                       Binaries                   Notes
                                                Windows       Mac       Linux    FreeBSD
simplewallet                                   (d/l)     (d/l)     (d/l)     (d/l)    source
Monero Client .NET                             (d/l)                                  full node or remote node
Qt GUI                                                                                source. Full node only
lightWallet                                   (d/l)                                  source. Full node or remote node. Torrent with binaries + blockchain
mymonero.com                                                                          author is a core dev
CryptoNoteWallet                                                            

So, let this be the official announcement that the price of monero will now start rising.
I understand "official" here as a figure of speech because:
  • Monero Core Team did not decide on making this official
  • No MEW vote had been proposed on this matter
  • I do not see any other Monero body that could emit such a statement

I'm sure trollers will delight to reuse this announcement. The core team and the community as a whole pride itself in not succumbing to the price drama - I'd like it to continue that way.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
21 million. I want them all.
Nice new missives.

Cliffnotes:

- NEW WEBSITE! www.getmonero.org (monero.cc redirects to it)

- MRL-0004 (Improving Obfuscation in the Cryptonote Protocol) (http://lab.monero.cc/pubs/MRL-0004.pdf):
Mixins: low-mixins can result in a cascading reduction in privacy. XMR will be moving very soon to a minimum mixin of 2. the reason mixin-0 is allowed in the first place is because mixin-0 is useful for sending dust. the solution in MRL-0004 is for mixin-0  to be allowed under special circumstances. these circumstances include a) when the transaction is dust, and b) when the transaction won't create new dust. thus, these specially-allowed transactions will gradually remove dust from the system. eventually the minimum mixin will be mixin-4. increasing the minimum mixin is considered critical in improving cryptonote.

temporal-association: in XMR, there's an age-based association problem where observers can tell how old coins are when they're spent due to the way that outputs are chosen for mixing. ideally, it should not be easy to do this. people might panic if very old coins are moving, as would be the case if satoshi started moving coins from 2009. this is not critical but being worked on as well.

- design and research goals: http://getmonero.org/design-goals/
not a timeline, but it shows what must come before what.

Activity: 54
Merit: 257
Missive for 2015-02-23 is out.

Missive Blog Post

Discussion Thread on the Official Forum

Cross-posted below:

We are moving to a new Missive format, it is now in the form of a podcast!

To download the podcast directly please use this link to the MP3, or use the HTML5 player on the blog post.

Community members are encouraged to transcribe it so that non-English speakers can benefit as well. A brief summary of the points discussed is:

1. The release of the new website, and the move to the getmonero.org domain

2. The publication of MRL-0004, Improving Obfuscation in the CryptoNote Protocol

3. Monero's design and development goals

Dev Diaries and External Projects will resume being covered from next week. Until then!

updated by fluffypony
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
It is called openness. It is very precious(expensive), and hopefully appreciated by the "people".

I will start buying 24 hours from my announcement to do so, but the price is already up 20% and 24 hours have not even passed yet  Undecided

this should answer this:

The announcement is important, because it adds to my glory as a person who can predict market movements, and starts a playful competition about how long the sellers can keep the price down.

not sure why you put people in hyphons. i do appreciate it though - its a welcome difference to all the pumps behind close doors and tastes honest Wink

next weeks / months will get interesting
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036

If there's ongoing discussion of how people are teaming up to manipulate the price in the main discussion thread, people won't think highly of this coin.

It is called openness. It is very precious(expensive), and hopefully appreciated by the "people".

I will start buying 24 hours from my announcement to do so, but the price is already up 20% and 24 hours have not even passed yet  Undecided
Activity: 400
Merit: 263

being loaded to the hilt with XMR I obviously don't mind higher prices but I very much agree with you here.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
21 million. I want them all.

Activity: 500
Merit: 500
Activity: 546
can everyone with buy orders in the .0010 range move your bid orders up a bit higher, I'm trying to form a syndicate bid with a bigger buy wall closer to the International Best Bid Best Offer

I can take out the order at .0017 if someone else fills the order at .00161 , judging conviction before I start filling heavily. I can take out the higher ask because this is still below my cost basis.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
Monero doesn't "halve", every single block has less monero than the previous block.

There is still a point when half the base supply has been created and the block subsidy is half the original value. It's similar in effect to the bitcoin halving in many ways except not being so abrupt.

but these are not events, miners get to price this in along the way every block

if the antiquated bitcoin-core code didn't have this in it, nobody here would be talking about halvings. This is much more advanced cryptonote protocol and there are no halvings. If this was debuted first, nobody would be talking about halvings

"Halving" is an idea from Bitcon which we have metaphorically imported into Monero, referring to the day in Sept when half the XMR coinbase has been emitted.  It's more psychological than strictly algorithmic.  So lighten up Francis.

Miners may price it in, as can markets.  But 'no more cheap coins' is still a great excuse for a party!   Smiley
legendary
Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I was looking forward to accumulating CHEAP COINStm until at least halving day in Sept.

I fear the crucial initial distribution will be negatively effected by whales propping up the price.

This seems too early.  Let's wait until the GUI/DB are Done and half the coins are emitted to start marketing/pumping.

Speaking of marketing, I would like to volunteer my sig space to advertise the best XMR links and features (MyMonero, XMR.to, Poloniex, Monero.cc, [ANN], etc).

I just need an ANSI artist to spiff up the graphics...   Smiley

Monero doesn't "halve", every single block has less monero than the previous block.

There is still a point when half the base supply has been created and the block subsidy is half the original value. It's similar in effect to the bitcoin halving in many ways except not being so abrupt.

Yes of course, it isn't an event. That's what I meant by not being abrupt.

However, if the effect has to do with how much has already been created vs. how much is left or the absolute or even relative (to current supply) amount of subsidy on a block (independent of the previous block or the next block) then it is much the same. So the same, but different.

I updated my previous post, but to now reply to what you just said here, why not a 1/4th emission cut be important, or a 1/5th? there is nothing unique about 1/2

Of course, but then one might also talk about the second or third or fourth bitcoin halving as opposed to just the first (or the upcoming second).

At some point it does likely matter that the subsidy is much lower than it was before, or much lower relative to total supply.

EDIT: I agree in a lot of ways about not comparing everything to bitcoin, but bitcoin does have a depth of experience that no other cryptocurrency has so far, so there are some experiences likely to carry over, others not. We'll have to see which are which!

Sorry to be a wet blanket, but I was looking forward to accumulating CHEAP COINStm until at least halving day in Sept.

I fear the crucial initial distribution will be negatively effected by whales propping up the price.

This seems too early.  Let's wait until the GUI/DB are Done and half the coins are emitted to start marketing/pumping.

Speaking of marketing, I would like to volunteer my sig space to advertise the best XMR links and features (MyMonero, XMR.to, Poloniex, Monero.cc, [ANN], etc).

However, if the effect has to do with how much has already been created vs. how much is left or the absolute or even relative (to current supply) amount of subsidy on a block (independent of the previous block or the next block) then it is much the same. So the same, but different.

I updated my previous post, but to now reply to what you just said here, why not a 1/4th emission cut be important, or a 1/5th? there is nothing unique about 1/2
legendary

However, if the effect has to do with how much has already been created vs. how much is left or the absolute or even relative (to current supply) amount of subsidy on a block (independent of the previous block or the next block) then it is similar. So the same, but different.

This seems too early.  Let's wait until the GUI/DB are Done and half the coins are emitted to start marketing/pumping.

I just need an ANSI artist to spiff up the graphics...   Smiley

if the antiquated bitcoin-core code didn't have this in it, nobody here would be talking about halvings. This is much more advanced cryptonote protocol and there are no halvings. If this was debuted first, nobody would be talking about halvings

we really never need to make references to bitcoin protocol specific quirks, this doesn't make cryptonote features more relatable. The dev team is holding off on a basic gui until a fully featured point of sale system is created for merchants, this isn't going to be advertised like "like bitcoin but" it is going to just be the Monero network.
Jump to: