Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1121. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 687
Merit: 500
I'm running the Linux binaries now and bitmonerod crashes after awhile. (1 -2 days typically)
I tried compiling it myself but when I run the binary it just crashes with "Segmentation fault".

Maybe this will get better when the DB is released. Is their an instruction somewhere on how to download and compile with DB support?

legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
Do we have an agreement that price rise is beneficial for Monero at large?

Is that what we want?

Can only speak for myself, but yes. Not really psyched about the drama a bigger market will bring, but it also is a good way to sell at irrational dips for later rebuys, so my strategy of accumulation might actually benefit, which means more moneroj in percentage and price--not a bad trade off for drama.

Also, I think the core-devs and devs with side projects could use the increase in funds for their projects.

So what are the drawbacks beside an increase in short-term/fragile investors?

legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

I mean - it's not difficult to let the price rise. We just end price suppression and let it be marketed, right?

It is a different thing if we are talking big money. But now, the next 12 months, we are talking about ~$1 million total. I sell my castle and buy every single monero that is mined over the next 365 days. Why are we speculating about a thing that's essentially a decision?

There are developments that may be lifting the price a big percentage, and they may have already started, or happen in 1-2 months.

Is that what we want?

In my opinion the healthiest thing for monero would be a consistent rise. This would enable people to get in while its still easy (increased distribution, a true market) but also give them confidence in the market, and also provide incentive for development. Bounties seemed to be flying around a lot more when XMR was worth more. (based on my historical digging of threads - I obviously wasn't around then)

I don't know what that consistent rise looks like (magic numbers), but the gold standard for the chalked up numbers of world economies always seems to hover around 3% annually.  
donator
Activity: 1722

I mean - it's not difficult to let the price rise. We just end price suppression and let it be marketed, right?

It is a different thing if we are talking big money. But now, the next 12 months, we are talking about ~$1 million total. I sell my castle and buy every single monero that is mined over the next 365 days. Why are we speculating about a thing that's essentially a decision?

There are developments that may be lifting the price a big percentage, and they may have already started, or happen in 1-2 months.

Is that what we want?
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Aricoin was recently taken out from Cryptsy voting list and added to the exchange (together with several shitcoins). Sadly that should be Monero.

I know Cryptsy has a lot of problems and people dislike it but this Cryptsy remains biggest altcoin exchange after Mintpal fiasco. There would be a lot of exposure for monero there.

Monero was on the top of the voting list for atleast a couple of months and they did nothing with that.. I agree on your second part, that it would greatly increase awareness for Monero.
Activity: 300
Merit: 250
Aricoin was recently taken out from Cryptsy voting list and added to the exchange (together with several shitcoins). Sadly that should be Monero.

I know Cryptsy has a lot of problems and people dislike it but this Cryptsy remains biggest altcoin exchange after Mintpal fiasco. There would be a lot of exposure for monero there.
Activity: 306
Merit: 251
Can someone explain to me what the view key and spend key do in Mymonero.com?

The view key identifies transactions. This key is shared with the MyMonero server, which allows the server to recognize your payments from the blockchain and show them to you on the web site.

The spend key allows spending coins. This key is not shared with the MyMonero server, and is only used within your browser to sign outgoing transactions.

Thank you.  Got it. 
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

The view key identifies transactions. This key is shared with the MyMonero server, which allows the server to recognize your payments from the blockchain and show them to you on the web site.

The spend key allows spending coins. This key is not shared with the MyMonero server, and is only used within your browser to sign outgoing transactions.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
I didn't really understand whether you argue against a subdomain as forum.monero.cc or another domain as moneroforum.org?! In case of the latter, I agree with you. Smiley I like subdomains and find them quite easy to use, but I can see that someone less technically inclined might dislike them... Smiley

Overall, the current forum situation is a mess that extends far beyond the domain name. The goal for the monero discussion is to separate from bitcointalk, but there are currently 3 options (or 4?) and it's quite unclear who's operating what and which is supposed to be the main forum.

Can't we consolidate everything into one single forum?

Ah sorry if I was ambiguous - I mean that having it as a subdomain is just fine (and, incidentally, if you Google for "monero forum" it's up at the top) as most people won't type it in, they'll click on a link or whatever.

The official forum (forum.monero.cc) is operated by the Core Team, and is the only one we consider "main". This will be clearer, I think, once tomorrow's Missive is out (I'll be sure to put it out in the morning so nobody has to wait;)
Activity: 518
Merit: 502
As jwinterm pointed out, someone already pointed http://moneroforum.org/ to forum.monero.cc

Frankly I (personally) think there's limited value in putting it on an unrelated subdomain, but I absolutely am open to people suggesting why that is preferable, and I would take such a suggestion back to the rest of the core team for discussion.

I didn't really understand whether you argue against a subdomain as forum.monero.cc or another domain as moneroforum.org?! In case of the latter, I agree with you. Smiley I like subdomains and find them quite easy to use, but I can see that someone less technically inclined might dislike them... Smiley

Overall, the current forum situation is a mess that extends far beyond the domain name. The goal for the monero discussion is to separate from bitcointalk, but there are currently 3 options (or 4?) and it's quite unclear who's operating what and which is supposed to be the main forum.

Can't we consolidate everything into one single forum?

Activity: 518
Merit: 502

my understanding is they do the same thing that they do in the regular client.

i.e., the view key allows others to see your transactions.... the spend key allows you to spend your monero from your wallet - its your private key.

If I correctly understood, that's the principle, but it's not been implemented in simplewallet or mymonero.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

my understanding is they do the same thing that they do in the regular client.

i.e., the view key allows others to see your transactions.... the spend key allows you to spend your monero from your wallet - its your private key.
Activity: 306
Merit: 251
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
LOL fair enough!

Is that really a divorceable offense now days?

All I know is that thanks to BinaryFate, Arnushcky, and a nameless other genius; I can use Monero to pay cam girls without my better-half getting the better of me in divorce court.  Grin

Not divorceable, but more of a "I'm gonna use this to take more of your stuff, asshole" able.
legendary
Activity: 1750
Facts are more efficient than fud
Is that really a divorceable offense now days?

All I know is that thanks to BinaryFate, Arnushcky, and a nameless other genius; I can use Monero to pay cam girls without my better-half getting the better of me in divorce court.  Grin

Not divorceable, but more of a "I'm gonna use this to take more of your stuff, asshole" able.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
https://forum.monero.cc/20/general-discussion/159/move-this-subdomain-forum-monero-cc-to-a-full-domain-like-moneroforum-org-or-any-other-you-can-think-of

I propose to move the forum on forum.monero.cc, to a full domain name. Initially, even I was confused as to where the monero forum hosted by the core team would be, until I realized it was a subdomain"forum.monero", that was it's URL. If the forum was hosted on a full domain, it'd be much easier for newcommers to remember(and go back to), rather than a subdomain(which a lot of people aren't familiar with).

As jwinterm pointed out, someone already pointed http://moneroforum.org/ to forum.monero.cc

Frankly I (personally) think there's limited value in putting it on an unrelated subdomain, but I absolutely am open to people suggesting why that is preferable, and I would take such a suggestion back to the rest of the core team for discussion.
Activity: 450
I dont think there is a need to move the forum from forum.monero.cc to monero.cc but a link to the forum on the monero.cc page would not hurt.

https://forum.monero.cc/20/general-discussion/159/move-this-subdomain-forum-monero-cc-to-a-full-domain-like-moneroforum-org-or-any-other-you-can-think-of

I propose to move the forum on forum.monero.cc, to a full domain name. Initially, even I was confused as to where the monero forum hosted by the core team would be, until I realized it was a subdomain"forum.monero", that was it's URL. If the forum was hosted on a full domain, it'd be much easier for newcommers to remember(and go back to), rather than a subdomain(which a lot of people aren't familiar with).

bump

I agree that there should be a stand out link to the forum from the main monero.cc webpage. Shouldn't take but a minute to do for the site admin
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
yes but the intention of that domain name was not to be a forum so a forum was made under it.  New users could remember the easy domain name and navigate to forum with link on main page.

I dont think there is a need to move the forum from forum.monero.cc to monero.cc but a link to the forum on the monero.cc page would not hurt.

bump

I mean, it's easier for newcommers to remember a full domain, which is what they're used to. Than have to type in a sub domain. It looks better aesthetically, is easier to remember, and much more common. Even forum.bitcoin.org, was changed into this forum, bitcointalk.org

What i mean is, its probably easier and common to access a forum through a full domain, rather than a subdomain. Newusers want things as quick, and easy as possible.

Try this: http://moneroforum.org
Activity: 770
yes but the intention of that domain name was not to be a forum so a forum was made under it.  New users could remember the easy domain name and navigate to forum with link on main page.

bump

I mean, it's easier for newcommers to remember a full domain, which is what they're used to. Than have to type in a sub domain. It looks better aesthetically, is easier to remember, and much more common. Even forum.bitcoin.org, was changed into this forum, bitcointalk.org

What i mean is, its probably easier and common to access a forum through a full domain, rather than a subdomain. Newusers want things as quick, and easy as possible.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

bump

Jump to: