Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1199. (Read 4670643 times)

Activity: 795
Merit: 514
I don't understand you. Are you saying private money is okay but private marketplaces are not?

No; but I don't know what the net effect on virtual currencies in general will be if OpenBazaar really takes off for illicit trade, and I don't support the use of Monero to break laws. If governments wanted to shut down Monero tomorrow they could by computational attacks or by intimidation. Monero has bigger reasons for existing than to simply help you buy things online that are illegal.

No it doesn't. If it can't be used for illegal purposes then it's worthless. The point of decentralized crypto is to protect us from unjust laws and allow us to decide for ourselves what is right and what isn't. That's what freedom is all about.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
I agree with you insofar as my own moral foundation stands.  But a core value for me is freedom, and I would not assume to dictate to the users or markets how they use a cryptocurrency.

I rather see the neutral aspect of Monero being a digital cash for transactions which benefit from privacy.  It is a use case agnostic position.  

Certainly I can't control how anyone uses it, but I would not personally support such endeavours.
legendary
I don't understand you. Are you saying private money is okay but private marketplaces are not?

No; but I don't know what the net effect on virtual currencies in general will be if OpenBazaar really takes off for illicit trade, and I don't support the use of Monero to break laws. If governments wanted to shut down Monero tomorrow they could by computational attacks or by intimidation. Monero has bigger reasons for existing than to simply help you buy things online that are illegal.
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
I would love to help but I bought in at about the peak and hold so little it would be a drop in the bucket.

but this Freemarket Idea is certainly the way to go. It is even better if it could be integrated into the gui wallet to be released. This should be a consideration from inception so as to make integration seamless from the getgo.

I certainly wouldn't support this, and if the rest of the core team did I would probably leave the core team. Privacy is a design component of Monero there for numerous other reasons than to break laws, just as it is for Tor. OpenBazaar is an experiment on top of the Bitcoin protocol, and if it becomes the de facto world standard for illegal drug marketplaces I certainly wouldn't want such a thing intertwined with Monero on any level.

I agree with you insofar as my own moral foundation stands.  But a core value for me is freedom, and I would not assume to dictate to the users or markets how they use a cryptocurrency.

I rather see the neutral aspect of Monero being a digital cash for transactions which benefit from privacy.  It is a use case agnostic position.  
Activity: 795
Merit: 514
I would love to help but I bought in at about the peak and hold so little it would be a drop in the bucket.

but this Freemarket Idea is certainly the way to go. It is even better if it could be integrated into the gui wallet to be released. This should be a consideration from inception so as to make integration seamless from the getgo.

I certainly wouldn't support this, and if the rest of the core team did I would probably leave the core team. Privacy is a design component of Monero there for numerous other reasons than to break laws, just as it is for Tor. OpenBazaar is an experiment on top of the Bitcoin protocol, and if it becomes the de facto world standard for illegal drug marketplaces I certainly wouldn't want such a thing intertwined with Monero on any level.

I don't understand you. Are you saying private money is okay but private trading is not? How is a decentralized marketplace any less legitimate?
legendary

legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
I don't condone or support the use of Monero for anything illicit or illegal in most countries... and, even if I did, I'm not sure I'd suggest using Monero for these purposes. The coin has not been well studied academically or even by multiple audit, so there may be numerous compromises in security that are yet to be discovered. Monero is intended to be used to afford privacy to transactions for the average consumer who doesn't want their neighbour peeking in on what they're purchasing, but for something where you have three letter agencies chasing you I'm really not sure.

Reassuring words from a lead dev.

Sarcastic words from a lead troll Tongue
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
I don't condone or support the use of Monero for anything illicit or illegal in most countries... and, even if I did, I'm not sure I'd suggest using Monero for these purposes. The coin has not been well studied academically or even by multiple audit, so there may be numerous compromises in security that are yet to be discovered. Monero is intended to be used to afford privacy to transactions for the average consumer who doesn't want their neighbour peeking in on what they're purchasing, but for something where you have three letter agencies chasing you I'm really not sure.

Reassuring words from a lead dev.
legendary
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
smooth (if I remember correctly) indicated that he has donated unconditionally. I have donated 2000 xmr unconditionally.
Thanks. Updated. Were these amounts already sent? Which address?

Don't worry, there is no other anon coin with a better position in this battle to succeed Bitcoin as preferred DarkMarket coin and Monero already has a very good standing/reputation in the mind of important and influental in the DM scene.
I want to believe you but it would be easier if you could source your claims. Any link?
pa
Activity: 528
Merit: 501
Atrides' Freebazaar for Monero donation pledge

Unconditional
No one (yet?)

Condition: bounty-style (to be developped)

Escrow
smooth (TheKoziTwo, David Latapie)

smooth (if I remember correctly) indicated that he has donated unconditionally. I have donated 2000 xmr unconditionally.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011
Monero Evangelist
Just curious, why is no darknet market that I've heard of built completely around Monero?

Why hasn't anyone here made one?
Because Monero is still being developed. Correctly, as of today, all serious darknets are operating (trustless) multi-sig-escrow-process, so they require Cryptocurrencies with good proven MS escrow features/process, which is a feature that isn't built today in Monero.

As assured before (by Monero community members with good connections and knowledge in DM operating scene), when both sides are ready Monero project (with software and ecosystem) and DM scene is ready (admins: with building trust in Moneros stability, hopefully chosing cryptonote technology as the prefered privacy coin, users/vendors: getting to know about Monero, learning Monero-usage incl. the multi-sig-escrow process, building trust, having easy access to Monero via exchangers, enough secure cashout possibilites are established) there will be big, leading Darkmarkets that will list Monero.
(Not all big ones from the start, but 40% up to 60% of the big ones like 3 out of 5, could be reached.)

But it will take around 12 months. Also remember it's a big, big step and major game changer for the whole DM community, they all (users, admin and vendors) have to reach an agreements about which anon coin to support. They are all depending on each other.

Drugs users and vendors are heavily using themselves and dont have much computer skills.
---> usability and simpleness of use for CC clients and tools (like scripts helping vendors and admins in management of there multi-sig-escrow-proccesses), will have a strong influence which what is becoming the preferred solution

Dont be fooled by the fact that some unknown market with nearly zero users and no non scamming vendors may be testing Darkcoin (in order to create some hype for its market or at least get traffic from dark community), or Coin123-supporters are using an public darkmarket script like Bit-Wasp and change it to their coin and setting up another DM no one knows, wants and which has by design zero future.
Or desperated marketeers of weak anon coins, will donate bribe to desperated admins of very small, unrelevant DM markets that generates zero incoming, so they halfheartedly implement their coin as marketing gag (and in most cases the DM is gone 6 weeks later anyway or the cashin feature of the coin that paid the bribe is deactived for various reasons, like being buggy/unstabil, no demand, bad desgined, ...).

Don't worry, there is no other anon coin with a better position in this battle to succeed Bitcoin as preferred DarkMarket coin and Monero already has a very good standing/reputation in the mind of important and influental in the DM scene.

But still, there is a long way to go. And alot of work to do. Everybody should contribute as much as possible, of whatever he can offer that helps the project, not only code and donated coins, but also man power and free working time, for executing the many open tasks or to be developed services and solutions Monero needs.
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
Atrides' Freebazaar for Monero donation pledge

Unconditional
Total = 4200 XMR

Condition: bounty-style (to be developped)
Total = 920 XMR

Grand total = 5 120 XMR
Escrow
  • smooth (TheKoziTwo, David Latapie, Atrides)
  • lyth0s

Proposed timeline

1. Decide whether FreeBazaar will fork from OpenBazaar or will start from scratch (to be discussed with both FreeBazaar donators and OpenBazaar developpers)
2. Analyse OpenBazaar's source code
3. Develop a reliable monero escrow system without multisig
4. Develop an API for integration with Monero wallets (including if possible mymonero)
legendary
Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047
I agree. If we do it bounty-style, I'm willing to donate 200 XMR through an escrow so that you will receive the funds upon delivery of the finished product.
Yep, me too. I will donate at least 200 XMR, maybe more depending on the plan.

I suggest smooth as escrow.
Activity: 798
21 million. I want them all.
I agree. If we do it bounty-style, I'm willing to donate 200 XMR through an escrow so that you will receive the funds upon delivery of the finished product.
legendary
Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047
simple and genius... i believe any solid ecommerce fork with monero built in will have tremendous start in anonymous transactions area. In fact Atrides can really expand into this and build himself a niche business in addition to pool operations. if this really takes off i see great anon ecommerce platform that would be pretty much adaptable to any business model.  

I don't mind at all if someone else will develop freebazaar. how mentioned, it is an opensource project, free for everyone.

That's just the opportunity for Monero to do this faster than the other and attract a great attention. no matter who does this, the point is to get as quicker as possible. the best thing would be if "original" Openbazaar would just add monero, we could safe time..

but they're moving very slowly themselves. I wrote to someone by pm, this is a serious "full-time" project, not an "after-work-evening-job", who can work for free? openbazaar devs don't earn anything from developing, they asked the community about donation, since last spring they got 19.7BTC, no wonder that it isnot ready yet..
everone is delighted with the idea, but not many want really to do something for that..
I don't believe this is true. You asked me for contributions, I am willing to contribute, just not on your terms:

"send money to this XMR address"

If you put out a plan with details on exactly what and when something will be completed and then found a trustworthy escrow to hold the funds I think many would be willing to contribute. Once you have delivered the escrow could release the funds.

The issue is not that "not many want really do something for that", but rather that "not many are willing to send money to random strangers on the internet", especially without a concrete plan.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
the past 2 pages have awesomeness for monero:

1. latapie requested webpage development
2. freebazar development could happen if funded
3. multisig development is happening / should happen

unfortunately, I currently have neither

1) skillz to do any of this.... quickly (i could learn drupal)
or
2) monero to donate to facilitate this development.

I did just get 2 750 ti's though

Therefore, to spur development, I pledge to direct 100% of my mining rewards to the dev address for at least 1 month by directly mining to the address. This pledge will mean something once I get my darn 750 tis working. Not much, but its all I can do - turn my electricity into monero. According to my pools estimator, this is roughly 15 xmr.

Obviously, this act indicates that I believe core and app development will provide a better return than holding more monero.

there are approximately 17k monero minted per day (assuming 1 minute blocks, and 12 xmr reward). Surely directing this toward development would add more value to the coin than just holding in the hopes that "magic will happen".

PLEDGE DRIVE!!
legendary
Activity: 1092

The sooner the cryptonote's design of multisig whitepaper is released the better. Any progress? But there is someone working on it, right? Smiley

if Everyone personally could help in any form, the work would move much quicker

How many XMR out of 10k requested have you received so far ?
Merit: 500
Admin of DwarfPool.com

The sooner the cryptonote's design of multisig whitepaper is released the better. Any progress? But there is someone working on it, right? Smiley

if Everyone personally could help in any form, the work would move much quicker
Jump to: