Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1326. (Read 4670643 times)

Activity: 976
Merit: 646
    BBR made the decision to prune ring signatures.  Which if I understand correctly makes it impossible to mathematically prove previous transactions were actually anonymous without the code base (or something along these lines).  I 100% want to figure out how to make the blockchain smaller per transaction - but I feel like being conservative about keeping proof of anonymity is a decision that bodes well for the future of the coin.

What it does is make it impossible for a new user to verify that the chain followed the rules at the beginning. You and I know (or at least we reasonably believe) that there wasn't any funny business in BBR at the beginning because we were around before during and after the trimming, but a new user starting a node has no way to establish that at all other than trusting you and me or someone like us to tell them that we were around and everything is okay.

That is unlike Bitcoin or Monero where you as a new user, on your own, can literally check every single transaction back to the genesis block and don't need to trust anyone to tell you they all followed the rules. I think the issue is somewhat worse with an anonymous coin than Bitcoin because rule violations can be hidden in the anonymity (if someone has a million extra coins, you couldn't see that or prove it). Nevertheless it isn't is devastating flaw or anything, just a somewhat higher level of external trust required than other coins (with the offsetting benefit of a smaller chain).

What it does is make it impossible for a new user to verify that the chain followed the rules at the beginning.
It's not true.

I just put non-pruned version of boolberry blockchain: http://boolberry.com/downloads.html#blockchain_proof, special for you, because you like to confuse people with speculations about this stuff.

That is unlike Bitcoin or Monero where you as a new user, on your own, can literally check every single transaction back to the genesis block and don't need to trust anyone to tell you they all followed the rules.
Not true, again.
You can do it for BBR as well, using this full version of blockchain you can mathematically prove that all transactions followed network rules.

The worse that we already discussed it with smooth and he knows that he is wrong here.

Zoidberg

ps: i wondering, when you guys finally stop confuse people about my project ?!

legendary
Activity: 826
Merit: 1002
amarha
An exception might be BBR, who got some backing from jl777, although is now again in a decline as it is not clear if SuperNet can deliver or not.

I'm not so sure that can be the reason considering a lot of the work is already done for superNET. And the past week James has been working directly with CZ to implement some of the code into BBR: https://github.com/cryptozoidberg/boolberry/tree/master/utils

Could be anything really. It's obviously affecting pretty much all altcurrencies right now. I think Bitcoin itself needs a big bump to get money flowing again. Not sure how or when that's going to happen though. Since Circle and Paypal have come and gone with little effect the only bright spots on the horizon that I can see right now are the Bitcoin ETFs(which might be incredible, but we'll see).
Activity: 732
Merit: 500
pump group is gone?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
can we add links to hashrate, difficulty and other charts to this thread or the .cc website ?
also links to some blockchain explorer
i know there are sites for this but ever since monerochain.info is dead i always forget where to find such info

chainradar.com and minergate.com (on minergate, click "blockchains")

btw, the old website is really a joke - we discussed it month ago and there is no change - quit with this nonsense and stop allowing this dump mode already! it really seems intentional at this point...

It is certainly not intentional. Just many conflicting priorities and limited resources. There is work continuing on the web site.

why not add it to this thread's first page?
how are people supposed to check their transactions?

Good suggestion. I've passed that on to the maintainer of the page.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
For those waiting for Cryptsy listing, I found this story today that may be of interest:

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/cryptocurrency-exchange-cryptsy-owner-paul-vernon-face-lawsuit/
Activity: 211
Merit: 100
can we add links to hashrate, difficulty and other charts to this thread or the .cc website ?
i know there are sites for this but ever since monerochain.info is dead i always forget where to find such info

btw, the old website is really a joke - we discussed it month ago and there is no change - quit with this nonsense and stop allowing this dump mode already! it really seems intentional at this point...

It is certainly not intentional. Just many conflicting priorities and limited resources. There is work continuing on the web site.

why not add it to this thread's first page?
how are people supposed to check their transactions?
I have decided I want to direct all my mining output to the Devs. I am not a big miner (about 400 H/s CPU + GPU) but I want to make an effort to support development and the network. It would be great if others felt able to do likewise.
I have been mining using the minexmr pool, and suppose I could just direct the output to the donation address in the original pool:
-u 46BeWrHpwXmHDpDEUmZBWZfoQpdc6HaERCNmx1pEYL2rAcuwufPN9rXHHtyUA4QVy66qeFQkn6sfK8a HYjA3jk3o1Bv16em -p x
However, I was wondering if I could miss the pool out entirely and solo-mine directly to the dev donation address. Is that possible.
Cheers, Q

Sorry but you cannot expect to find any block with a low hashrate if solomining.
The best is to mine on a stable pool using the donation address.

I think solo mining to the donation address is just fine. It doesn't really matter if one person doesn't find blocks because multiple people will be doing it (including me -- I've been doing this for months now), so the donation address can and will get blocks. Plus the solo mining itself helps keep the network decentralized and more secure.

The way to do it is to type "start_mining donation-address number-of-threads" in your daemon window.

But there isn't any easy way to do that for the GPU part, so keep that on a pool, which also ensures some steady mining rewards along with the random occasional blocks.

In choosing a pool, please make sure to find one that doesn't make tiny payouts.

Thx for your support BTW. If more people where doing like you do, things would be much faster.

+1

I'm on minexmr.com, which does min 0.5 XMR payouts.
Sorry but you cannot expect to find any block with a low hashrate if solomining.

Thx for your support BTW. If more people where doing like you do, things would be much faster.

Fair enough. Donation batch files launched.  Smiley
legendary
I have decided I want to direct all my mining output to the Devs. I am not a big miner (about 400 H/s CPU + GPU) but I want to make an effort to support development and the network. It would be great if others felt able to do likewise.
I have been mining using the minexmr pool, and suppose I could just direct the output to the donation address in the original pool:
-u 46BeWrHpwXmHDpDEUmZBWZfoQpdc6HaERCNmx1pEYL2rAcuwufPN9rXHHtyUA4QVy66qeFQkn6sfK8a HYjA3jk3o1Bv16em -p x
However, I was wondering if I could miss the pool out entirely and solo-mine directly to the dev donation address. Is that possible.
Cheers, Q

I think solo mining to the donation address is just fine. It doesn't really matter if one person doesn't find blocks because multiple people will be doing it (including me -- I've been doing this for months now), so the donation address can and will get blocks. Plus the solo mining itself helps keep the network decentralized and more secure.

The way to do it is to type "start_mining donation-address number-of-threads" in your daemon window.

But there isn't any easy way to do that for the GPU part, so keep that on a pool, which also ensures some steady mining rewards along with the random occasional blocks.

In choosing a pool, please make sure to find one that doesn't make tiny payouts.

+1
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.
In the same way I assume you can judge the interest in a coin by how it reacts to good news (good news & the coin barely goes up.  Like bitcoin being adopted by PayPal which was supposed to be the holy grail barely going up.  And then a massive sell off afterwards.).  

PayPal rumors kept the BTC at least hoovering for some days. Face it, when you zoom all out on BTC curve you see a pump&dump in the late decline. People get out into FIAT, most with losses.

About Altcoins they say you can see Bitcoin there at Fast-Forward speed. So true.

Edit: a more eloquent expression of the facts
Market cap is measured in USD, price in BTC.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131
Cheers, Q

Cheers, Q
EDIT: I am using the wolf and Tsiv miners at the moment
legendary
it is exactly this niche xmr should try to fill:

private store of value

we maybe need some places where you can use monero but the above is, also due to design of emmission rate the perfect use case - obv. store of value and velocity are interconnected, but from design the first function is much more important

There is not really a lot of value in merely storing it if you can't use it privately when you want to, or even potentially move it into storage privately to begin with. If you have to go through exchanges to do anything with it, that becomes a chokepoint where your identity might be demanded or exposed, or at the very least you will be transacting through currencies that are far less private (e.g. Bitcoin and fiat).

The needs to get more built out to do its job.

legendary

Activity: 211
Merit: 100

Activity: 106
Merit: 10
The hashrate and the price are low so it is a good time to mine if you have the hardware or to buy if you have some BTC.
The price is low, but the hash rate is similar to the past. So who is mining with profit?

I think Monero mining is similar to Bitcoin mining.
There are believers that mine whatever it cost.
Those believers expect the price to be so much higher tomorrow that it doesn't matter the today profitability.
They don't mine other shitcoins because they are shitcoins.

That would be me, and i own 0.1% of total hashrate. Its hard for me to believe that there aren't 1000 miners like me out there and its all botnet... In fact, its hard to believe that hashrate is this small...
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
it is exactly this niche xmr should try to fill:

private store of value

we maybe need some places where you can use monero but the above is, also due to design of emmission rate the perfect use case - obv. store of value and velocity are interconnected, but from design the first function is much more important
Activity: 833
Merit: 1001
there's quite a lot of interest in this coin, more like in the technology behind it and almost everyone that i introduced to monero, found it truly interesting in the wake of looming wealth confiscation whether in tax form, regulation or bailouts.. you can't deny monero's importance in preserving or moving your wealth on anonymous blockchain... well ultra rich people may not need this since they are already part of the elite club but average joes will find that out when governments start plundering their hard earned money to fund their profit driven wars or rescue banking cartel...
 i've been buying and intend to buy even more, the only problem is dumps are getting so pathetic so it's either dumpers don't have any more coins left to sell or just find it too cheap to let go off...

So, any expectation of when its going up again?

I think it could bleed out quite a bit more due to the coin release schedule.   Too bad rptelias blocking us from real blood  . .

Thanks for the answers... I'm going to read more as soon as I get home and made my mind.  

Cheers.

Best of luck - hope you find what you're looking for Wink
legendary
If they are the believers, they can get more XMR by buying instead of mining it. Maybe they just want to secure the network, or the miners' mining cost is very low, such as $0.05/kWh electricity price.

It is somewhat profitable to CPU mine at 0.07 USD/kwh, so actually quite profitable at 0.05 or lower.  This is assuming a typical mid-high end desktop CPU. There are some more power-efficient CPUs but they are less common.

GPU mining is a bit more power-efficient and therefore more profitable than CPU mining, although there are probably some more profitable coins to GPU mine if you are purely maximizing profit and don't care what you mine.
Activity: 263
There is something wrong with the charts

I'm not sure but I think the scales may be misleading?

Pick two points t1 < t2 at some distance apart such that, for example, cap(t1) = cap(t2) and price(t1) < price(t2), or, for example, price(t1) = price(t2) and cap(t1) > cap(t2). These pairs are not hard to find visually in the DRK and XC charts, but they do not exist in the XMR chart.

If it holds that cap(t) = price(t) * emission(t) for any t, then in both cases above it follows that emission(t1) > emission(t2) for some t1 < t2.

In other words, emission somehow decreased in time. That's why I wonder, did coins disappear by protocol??

Market cap is measured in USD, price in BTC.

Oh

/facepalm
Jump to: