Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1327. (Read 4670643 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
There is something wrong with the charts

I'm not sure but I think the scales may be misleading?

Pick two points t1 < t2 at some distance apart such that, for example, cap(t1) = cap(t2) and price(t1) < price(t2), or, for example, price(t1) = price(t2) and cap(t1) > cap(t2). These pairs are not hard to find visually in the DRK and XC charts, but they do not exist in the XMR chart.

If it holds that cap(t) = price(t) * emission(t) for any t, then in both cases above it follows that emission(t1) > emission(t2) for some t1 < t2.

In other words, emission somehow decreased in time. That's why I wonder, did coins disappear by protocol??

Market cap is measured in USD, price in BTC.

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
The hashrate and the price are low so it is a good time to mine if you have the hardware or to buy if you have some BTC.
The price is low, but the hash rate is similar to the past. So who is mining with profit?

I think Monero mining is similar to Bitcoin mining.
There are believers that mine whatever it cost.
Those believers expect the price to be so much higher tomorrow that it doesn't matter the today profitability.
They don't mine other shitcoins because they are shitcoins.

If they are the believers, they can get more XMR by buying instead of mining it. Maybe they just want to secure the network, or the miners' mining cost is very low, such as $0.05/kWh electricity price.
legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131
The hashrate and the price are low so it is a good time to mine if you have the hardware or to buy if you have some BTC.
The price is low, but the hash rate is similar to the past. So who is mining with profit?

I think Monero mining is similar to Bitcoin mining.
There are believers that mine whatever it cost.
Those believers expect the price to be so much higher tomorrow that it doesn't matter the today profitability.
They don't mine other shitcoins because they are shitcoins.
Activity: 263
Merit: 250

Pick two points t1 < t2 at some distance apart such that, for example, cap(t1) = cap(t2) and price(t1) < price(t2), or, for example, price(t1) = price(t2) and cap(t1) > cap(t2). These pairs are not hard to find visually in the DRK and XC charts, but they do not exist in the XMR chart.

If it holds that cap(t) = price(t) * emission(t) for any t, then in both cases above it follows that emission(t1) > emission(t2) for some t1 < t2.

In other words, emission somehow decreased in time. That's why I wonder, did coins disappear by protocol??
Activity: 896

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1131
Who dump? for new pump?

There are 2 reasons to dump :
 - creating a panic sell to get a lot of cheap coins
 - someone needs money fast and cannot wait

A dump is only temporary. What goes up must go down and what goes down must go up.
Patience is the key to make profit in cryptocurrency.

legendary

Activity: 687
Merit: 500
novag
Who dump? for new pump?

Monero chart looks as expected, where the market cap grows compared to the price in time because the number of coins emitted increases in time.

Darkcoin chart, in the right half of the chart, displays the market cap shrinking faster than the price. Did the total emission decrease??

XCurrency chart. Same comment, valid for the entirely of the chart. Did XCs disappear from circulation??

legendary
Thank you, Smooth. Hopefully that shuts him up for awhile.

I think you will find you can't really win with FUDsters. They generally have an agenda, either emotional attachment to some position or a commercial interest or both, and will shift between different arguments as necessary to keep going.

Hash rate too high? Botnet!

Hash rate too low? Insecure!

legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
comment replyELI5: Sidechains
from x798 via /r/Bitcoin/ sent just now
show parent

"That's not FUD, the majority of the Monero hashrate is a botnet or two, you can't rationalize tens of thousands of GPUs mining a coin most people haven't heard of. The Monero block chain was actually attacked using a bug in the merkle tree type formation it used, an obscure hangover from Bytecoin. I'd call that a problem, wouldn't you?
the anonymity is tested
By who? I doubt anybody is really qualified to say if ring signatures can support anything. There's not even any proof that ECDSA itself is secure."

Can anyone discredit this statement? Don't have enough working knowledge to confirm or dismiss.  Undecided

Here's the link:

www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/2k5jdg/eli5_sidechains/

Try pointing out that it isn't responsive to the question of whether Monero/Cryptonote is innovative.

It is shifting the subject to whether the technology is immature. Well, yeah, obviously anything innovative is immature.

There are a whole lot of specifics to discredit there, it is all speculation and frankly FUD, as you said.

Where is the actual evidence backing up any of the claims (well other than that a bug was exploited -- that is true, and the bug is fixed)?

I do believe there are botnets but I don't believe they are nearly as much of the hashrate as FUDsters speculate, simply because mining is still profitable for a lot of people (not with high electricity rates). As long as mining is profitable, people will do it, especially in the current environment when it is hard to find anything you can mine profitably.

If botnets were rampant the hash rate would be even higher and mining profit would be drive down to nearly nothing. It isn't.

Thank you, Smooth. Hopefully that shuts him up for awhile.
legendary
show parent

"That's not FUD, the majority of the Monero hashrate is a botnet or two, you can't rationalize tens of thousands of GPUs mining a coin most people haven't heard of. The Monero block chain was actually attacked using a bug in the merkle tree type formation it used, an obscure hangover from Bytecoin. I'd call that a problem, wouldn't you?
the anonymity is tested
By who? I doubt anybody is really qualified to say if ring signatures can support anything. There's not even any proof that ECDSA itself is secure."

Can anyone discredit this statement? Don't have enough working knowledge to confirm or dismiss.  Undecided

Here's the link:

Try pointing out that it isn't responsive to the question of whether Monero/Cryptonote is innovative.

It is shifting the subject to whether the technology is immature. Well, yeah, obviously anything innovative is immature.

There are (EDIT: not) a whole lot of specifics to discredit there, it is all speculation and frankly FUD, as you said.

Where is the actual evidence backing up any of the claims (well other than that a bug was exploited -- that is true, and the bug is fixed)?

I do believe there are botnets but I don't believe they are nearly as much of the hashrate as FUDsters speculate, simply because mining is still profitable for a lot of people (not with high electricity rates). As long as mining is profitable, people will do it, especially in the current environment when it is hard to find anything you can mine profitably.

If botnets were rampant the hash rate would be even higher and mining profit would be driven down to nearly nothing. It isn't.

legendary
Activity: 1750
Facts are more efficient than fud
show parent

the anonymity is tested

Can anyone discredit this statement? Don't have enough working knowledge to confirm or dismiss.  Undecided

Here's the link:

legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009
So, any expectation of when its going up again?

I think it could bleed out quite a bit more due to the coin release schedule.   Too bad rptelias blocking us from real blood  . .

Thanks for the answers... I'm going to read more as soon as I get home and made my mind. 

Cheers.

Best of luck - hope you find what you're looking for Wink
Activity: 768
Thanks for the answers... I'm going to read more as soon as I get home and made my mind. 

Cheers.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
VocalPlatform.com
Fair point.  Perhaps my post should have read "If you look at coin emission - then pump and dump was the LAST thing in the world you would think of.  Monero's early (first year or two) coin emission makes it almost impossible to pump as effectively as (most) other coins.  The coin release schedule just wasn't built for a pump and dump.

Thanks, good interpretation, and nice charts. With the other coins, marketcap is now a fraction of the pump high, with Monero, it is down only 50%.

So, any expectation of when its going up again?
donator
Activity: 1722
Fair point.  Perhaps my post should have read "If you look at coin emission - then pump and dump was the LAST thing in the world you would think of.  Monero's early (first year or two) coin emission makes it almost impossible to pump as effectively as (most) other coins.  The coin release schedule just wasn't built for a pump and dump.

Thanks, good interpretation, and nice charts. With the other coins, marketcap is now a fraction of the pump high, with Monero, it is down only 50%.
legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009

A "pump and dump" is a coin that has been pumped and dumped. Monero has increased in price from 0.0002 BTC to just under 0.01 BTC, and has since fallen to just above 0.002 BTC. A 5000% increase qualifies as a "pump" and a 80% decrease qualifies as a "dump". If Monero is not a pump and dump, then most coins are not pump and dumps so what's your point?  

The point is that you, smurfer43, are an asshole.

Can we please.  PLEASE not resort to name calling?  I'm sick of the strict battlelines between coins and groups that are hostile to even the pretense of objectivity.

BBR's chart might look similar to moneros but it's f***** up atm.  Look at volume over time.  The inflation majorly discourages pumping.  You'll get stuck out to dry if you try to pump because miners will just dump into you - too many moneros to effectively pump and be profitable at.  There are other coins you'd do better to hype.

Just my interpretation

Monero chart.

Darkcoin chart.

XCurrency chart.

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

A "pump and dump" is a coin that has been pumped and dumped. Monero has increased in price from 0.0002 BTC to just under 0.01 BTC, and has since fallen to just above 0.002 BTC. A 5000% increase qualifies as a "pump" and a 80% decrease qualifies as a "dump". If Monero is not a pump and dump, then most coins are not pump and dumps so what's your point?  

The point is that you, smurfer43, are an asshole.

Could somebody please help me to resolve this issue ?
I was out of town & away from my home PC so I didn't updated my blockchain for almost 3 months,
Last week when I came back I downloaded the latest wallet from the OP & also the blockchain (2.3 GB .bin file) from the link provided in the OP.

After that when I ran bitmonerod.exe my blockchain was still  about 40-45 days behind so, left it overnight running & in the morning it was done with synchronization.
But then when I run simplewallet.exe, it gives me a weird message,

2014-Oct-23 11:04:45.414355 bitmonero wallet v0.8.8.4-771b531
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.208800 Loaded wallet keys file, with public address: -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.208800 file not found: xmr, starting with empty blockchain
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.208800 Opened wallet: -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.599823 Starting refresh...
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.681828 Failed to invoke http request to  http://localhost:18081/getblocks.bin, wrong response code: 500
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.681828 ERROR ..\..\src\wallet\wallet2.cpp:282 !r. THROW EXCEPTION: error::no_connection_to_daemon
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.703829 ..\..\src\wallet\wallet2.cpp:282:struct tools::error::no_connection_to_daemon: no connection to daemon, request = getblocks.bin
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.709829 Another try pull_blocks (try_count=0)...
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.749831 Failed to invoke http request to  http://localhost:18081/getblocks.bin, wrong response code: 500
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.750831 ERROR ..\..\src\wallet\wallet2.cpp:282 !r. THROW EXCEPTION: error::no_connection_to_daemon
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.750831 ..\..\src\wallet\wallet2.cpp:282:struct tools::error::no_connection_to_daemon: no connection to daemon, request = getblocks.bin
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.750831 Another try pull_blocks (try_count=1)...
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.771833 Failed to invoke http request to  http://localhost:18081/getblocks.bin, wrong response code: 500
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.771833 ERROR ..\..\src\wallet\wallet2.cpp:282 !r. THROW EXCEPTION: error::no_connection_to_daemon
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.772833 ..\..\src\wallet\wallet2.cpp:282:struct tools::error::no_connection_to_daemon: no connection to daemon, request = getblocks.bin
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.772833 Another try pull_blocks (try_count=2)...
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.794834 Failed to invoke http request to  http://localhost:18081/getblocks.bin, wrong response code: 500
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.794834 ERROR ..\..\src\wallet\wallet2.cpp:282 !r. THROW EXCEPTION: error::no_connection_to_daemon
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.794834 ..\..\src\wallet\wallet2.cpp:282:struct tools::error::no_connection_to_daemon: no connection to daemon, request = getblocks.bin
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.794834 ERROR ..\..\src\wallet\wallet2.cpp:358 pull_blocks failed, try_count=3
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.803834 Error: refresh failed: no connection to daemon. Please, make sure daemon is running. Blocks received: 0

At the same time bitmonerod.log reads the following,

2014-Oct-23 11:02:31.377688 [P2P1][188.2.54.196:18080 OUT]Sync data returned unknown top block: 272598 -> 272778 [180 blocks (0 days) behind]
SYNCHRONIZATION started
2014-Oct-23 11:03:24.909750 [P2P3][85.69.78.14:18080 OUT] SYNCHRONIZED OK
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.646826 [RPC0]ERROR c:\users\ric_000\desktop\bitmonero\src\rpc\core_rpc_server.h:68 Failed to on_get_blocks()
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.710829 [RPC0]ERROR c:\users\ric_000\desktop\bitmonero\src\rpc\core_rpc_server.h:68 Failed to on_get_blocks()
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.750831 [RPC1]ERROR c:\users\ric_000\desktop\bitmonero\src\rpc\core_rpc_server.h:68 Failed to on_get_blocks()
2014-Oct-23 11:04:53.772833 [RPC0]ERROR c:\users\ric_000\desktop\bitmonero\src\rpc\core_rpc_server.h:68 Failed to on_get_blocks()

Anybody ?

I don't know what causes the issue, but I've had it too when loading the [wallet.bin].key file without the [wallet.bin] file.

0. Close both the daemon and the client
1. Backup your [wallet.bin].key file securely
2. Delete your [wallet.bin] file
3. Start daemon, wait for sync
4. Start client, load your [wallet.bin].key
5. Type in client "refresh", and EITHER ....
5a. .... everything works, you are done OR ....
5b. .... type in client "save", then "exit" and then restart client and you should be done

In my case, I got that error when I loaded a wallet from [wallet.bin].key without the [wallet.bin] file. Typing "save" makes the client create the [wallet.bin] file, and after a restart it worked fine.

Let us know if you have further questions or if it fixed your problem!
Jump to: