Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1436. (Read 4670622 times)

Activity: 280
Merit: 250
Who cares?
MoneroCoin.com site for sale PM me with offers/

Oh man, not this guy again.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
[...consensus enforced reward share...]

When considering such options, please be careful not to poison XMR's image.  I would rather pay 50% out of pocket voluntarily than 1% involuntarily - because I think an involuntary payment will degrade the value of the currency by more than 50%.  It would be a value-destroying option.  [Note that no one is proposing a brute tax here - just brainstorming.]

BBR's method is less damaging to the currency than a brute tax:  It is default opt-in, IIRC, which is not so bad.  It doesn't press a one-sided change in contract. 

It is a vote. Miners vote on the donation and can turn it off, but you can't individually opt out (i.e. free ride). I'd prefer to see purely voluntary mechanisms work, but they haven't entirely worked so far and if they don't work we need to try something else. It makes no sense to stick with what isn't working and not be willing to change
Activity: 471
two more trolling threads from Monero88 troll guy in the last hour.  I'm wondering if the developers / well known long time Monero supporters should post in the Meta section and request that any new Monero threads for the next week be auto locked that are not already covered / posted.  It seems like we've covered all subjects and I'm afraid this is leaving a bad taste.

Then again - maybe it's not our problem.  I don't know.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/should-xmr-community-vouch-for-banning-bcx-786537
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bcx-monero-fud-a-resume-of-the-lie-bitcoinexpress-is-a-liar-and-fud-queen-786523

If only it was possible it would be a dream come true, but I doubt it. Alt-coin forum seems barely moderated.
Activity: 403
MoneroCoin.com site for sale PM me with offers/
legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009
plus 1 for classical fundraising, minus... a lot for a forkraiser. As if we don't have enough detractors, just imagine what will happen if we build a payout into the protocol.

Who exactly is detracting BBR for it?

I think we will have detractors for being (slightly) successful no matter what we do. I don't think the mining fundraiser is necessarily a bad idea nor would have any material change on the degree of hate directed against us.

I agree with this 1000%. 
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
plus 1 for classical fundraising, minus... a lot for a forkraiser. As if we don't have enough detractors, just imagine what will happen if we build a payout into the protocol.

Who exactly is detracting BBR for it?

I think we will have detractors for being (slightly) successful no matter what we do. I don't think the mining fundraiser is necessarily a bad idea nor would have any material change on the degree of hate directed against us.

legendary
Activity: 1256
Merit: 1009
two more trolling threads from Monero88 troll guy in the last hour.  I'm wondering if the developers / well known long time Monero supporters should post in the Meta section and request that any new Monero threads for the next week be auto locked that are not already covered / posted.  It seems like we've covered all subjects and I'm afraid this is leaving a bad taste.

Then again - maybe it's not our problem.  I don't know.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/should-xmr-community-vouch-for-banning-bcx-786537
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/bcx-monero-fud-a-resume-of-the-lie-bitcoinexpress-is-a-liar-and-fud-queen-786523
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
I downloaded the newest version and it is no longer detected as a trojan. (it is incredibly slow though Tongue)

Slow compared to 0.8.8.3? What part of it is slow, what operating system?

No not compared to the previous version. Just every time I run it it eats more of my RAM (which is an obvious consequence of keeping the blockchain in memory). Therefore I don't run it that often and I really notice my performance degrading (I have 8GB of RAM). 

I wasn't complaining and I understand why that is. I wasn't asking about the trojan for FUD (I hold XMR why would I?) but as a sincere question (making sure I hadn't missed something huge).

Are we affected of what ? He didn't say anything concrete. Atm it looks like classic FUD, because i can't see any other goal behind this post.

But still, it always possible to have flaws - with this post or without it, we should keep attention carefully.

yep, I think the same, I also find funny that the "coin killer" exploit harms Monero anonymity, sounds like the perfect FUD, either way I hope he will work with the dev team for a win win scenario, instead of more hate.
how it is possible for a locally encrypted wallet to be compromised is beyond me.
conveniently he says there is a workaround to this unlikely result that just happens to require losing the anonymity
however, it also seems unlikely that losing anonymity will solve any wallet stealing

without any specifics, this is artful FUD, especially with the "under the right conditions" part

It might almost be possible to prove that a local wallet cannot be stolen externally via the blockchain unless the encryption of the wallet is cracked and that the wallet contents are somehow able to be transferred to the attacker! I can see the theoretical possibility of unspent funds being spent without the wallet, which is what happened to XCP. Still for someone to be making such claims, he is either the top cryptonote dev in the world or it is FUD

There isnt an API call that allows the transmission of your wallet is there? Without this and also the ability to crack the encryption of the wallet, this is not very convincing FUD to me. It has nice tech terms to scare non-tech peoples, but unless his "right conditions" includes a computer that is infected with a keylogger the claims seem quite impossible. I await to be corrected with some actual specifics on even the theoretical method of wallet stealing that is possible without an already compromised computer. In that case, all coins, bitcoin included, are victim to the same exploit.

I know of an exploit for USD (or any currency) that allows all your accounts to be drained under the right conditions. Smiley

James

Thanks you for your insights James. It's much appreciated.
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
I know of an exploit for USD (or any currency) that allows all your accounts to be drained under the right conditions. Smiley

James

no offense (nice USD cuteness btw) - but bcx has the brain of someone who loves to see if he can destroy things.  he also has an ego and talks out of his ass sometimes and he also owns like 500K litecoin.  which is the currency that has the most to lose by the rise of PoW anon coins that also take the place of a bitcoin alternative.  since it doesn't share the codebase cryptonote actually makes a better one.

long story short - yeah this guy can be full of shit.  but he has a wall plastered with destroyed coins.  so i'd give respect and see if you can get him to share what he is thinking
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1134

Are we affected of what ? He didn't say anything concrete. Atm it looks like classic FUD, because i can't see any other goal behind this post.

But still, it always possible to have flaws - with this post or without it, we should keep attention carefully.

yep, I think the same, I also find funny that the "coin killer" exploit harms Monero anonymity, sounds like the perfect FUD, either way I hope he will work with the dev team for a win win scenario, instead of more hate.
how it is possible for a locally encrypted wallet to be compromised is beyond me.
conveniently he says there is a workaround to this unlikely result that just happens to require losing the anonymity
however, it also seems unlikely that losing anonymity will solve any wallet stealing

without any specifics, this is artful FUD, especially with the "under the right conditions" part

It might almost be possible to prove that a local wallet cannot be stolen externally via the blockchain unless the encryption of the wallet is cracked and that the wallet contents are somehow able to be transferred to the attacker! I can see the theoretical possibility of unspent funds being spent without the wallet, which is what happened to XCP. Still for someone to be making such claims, he is either the top cryptonote dev in the world or it is FUD

There isnt an API call that allows the transmission of your wallet is there? Without this and also the ability to crack the encryption of the wallet, this is not very convincing FUD to me. It has nice tech terms to scare non-tech peoples, but unless his "right conditions" includes a computer that is infected with a keylogger the claims seem quite impossible. I await to be corrected with some actual specifics on even the theoretical method of wallet stealing that is possible without an already compromised computer. In that case, all coins, bitcoin included, are victim to the same exploit.

James
Activity: 112
Merit: 10
Regarding donations - we already have about 20% of the Monero owners joining MEW. If we get this number to about 50%, then it will be easier to fund development as a community effort because there is no free riding.

how to get in there?

a third idea and that is basically how mike hear financed his project is to convince very rich anarchists/libertarians that this project has a lot of value. finding these guys in the bitcoin environment should be easy Cheesy convincing them that there is place for a second major currency is hard. first because the person probably thinks it shoots its own leg, second because there needs to be an incentive for him. that said I think there are people who see besides their own profit, moral reasons to invest in a project like this.

I agree with this. There needs to be more moral arguments promoted in the direction of voluntary donation.

what about that max keiser shill guy?  he's blown a bunch of money and has more to blow ... and is a loudmouth throw - throw money at shit & rope other people in type of guy
Activity: 54
Merit: 257
Monero Fireside Chat #2, how to connect:
https://plus.google.com/b/101861896996947433029/events/c8094ts82ggh0mpkffu4ja5kohg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9gH2ndAAkE

YouTube allows you to watch live and later.
Google+ allows you also to interact. You can also ask questions on #monero-dev.

-- updated by davidlatapie
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
I downloaded the newest version and it is no longer detected as a trojan. (it is incredibly slow though Tongue)

Slow compared to 0.8.8.3? What part of it is slow, what operating system?
Activity: 888
Merit: 500
rip monero

2014-2014
legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011
Regarding donations - we already have about 20% of the Monero owners joining MEW. If we get this number to about 50%, then it will be easier to fund development as a community effort because there is no free riding.

how to get in there?

a third idea and that is basically how mike hear financed his project is to convince very rich anarchists/libertarians that this project has a lot of value. finding these guys in the bitcoin environment should be easy Cheesy convincing them that there is place for a second major currency is hard. first because the person probably thinks it shoots its own leg, second because there needs to be an incentive for him. that said I think there are people who see besides their own profit, moral reasons to invest in a project like this.

I agree with this. There needs to be more moral arguments promoted in the direction of voluntary donation.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
My virus scanner (F-secure) just reported that bitmonerod.exe contained a trojan. It's the version I downloaded on this site.

What's up? False positive?

Use your own common sense, but yes false positive, just like minerd.exe and other bitcoin executables.

The reason is Monero has been a CPU minable coin from the beginning.  So botnets distribute the daemon for mining via trojans.
My virus scanner (F-secure) just reported that bitmonerod.exe contained a trojan. It's the version I downloaded on this site.

What's up? False positive?

My scanner (Kaskpersky Pure) doesn't report anything special. Latest version, just downloaded from OP to be sure.
Jump to: