Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1441. (Read 4670622 times)

Activity: 283
Merit: 250
How much money BTC/xmr/$ in donations is (approx) needed to get an ETA of the following:

- Embedded DB solution/implementation  --> $14 500 (as posted on reddit)
- Convertion of C-code  
- Finished (official) GUI
- C++ version of the I2P router (IP obfuscation)
- ... (blockchain bloat issue?)

It might help to have some funding goals, so that as a community, we can work to certain points more rapidly. Maybe the Monero Committee (or whatever is called) can do something with this?
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
What's up with monerochain.info? They've been down for few days now.
Activity: 38
Merit: 0
Reading articles about Monero I found a term POW. And i didn't find any more info about it than "proven value creation". What does it mean?

Proof Of Work.

PoW, PoS those are basics. There are literally hundreds of web pages explaining what those are.

I'd start from here:
https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Proof_of_work
Activity: 33
Very nice! Smiley

Two things:
1) You have probably already asked Zazzle about accepting monero but i would urge you to try a bit more or at least find someone who is willing to accept xmr and pay them in fiat. I would really like to see my XMR being used for buying these things!
2) Any (risky) timetable about blockchain and that awesome GUI? Or maybe we can wait until Friday's chat? Cheesy

There are a couple of companies waiting the do 1), we told them to wait for proper GUI and blockchain.

Would you mind telling the names of those companies? if it's not a secret of course Smiley
Activity: 462
I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered but is there a way to add a password in an existing (without password) wallet?

I thought when you create the wallet, you have to choose a password.
Activity: 19
I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered but is there a way to add a password in an existing (without password) wallet?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
TY Smooth I have my new wallet!!  I have backed up the keys file.

It created a new seed.  I just updated all my btc and XMR info today and put it in a safe deposit box as well as another location.  Now I need to update again.

Thanks again Smooth.

You're welcome, glad it worked!
Activity: 462

Wouldn't the fee have to be paid for each chunk, thus increasing the fee?

You can try to maximize the amount you send in each transaction for the current fixed fee. That's all that would happen if the transaction could automatically be broken up. So start with a larger amount and gradually decrease it until it works. That should be close to the maximum size transaction (so minimum fee per byte).

This is what I do. Usually it is close to 20kB.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
TY Smooth I have my new wallet!!  I have backed up the keys file.

It created a new seed.  I just updated all my btc and XMR info today and put it in a safe deposit box as well as another location.  Now I need to update again.

Thanks again Smooth.
legendary

simplewallet --wallet name-of-your-keys-file-without-.keys
[/quote]

So just type in the name of my wallet? 

There is a reason I am The Drooling Masses® although I am motivated.

I'm restarting the daemon which will take a few minutes.
[/quote]

Yes.  If your keys file is called mywallet.bin.keys then use

simplewallet --wallet mywallet.bin

It will take the keys file, recreate the bin file, and rescan the blockchain to find your coins.

legendary

[/quote]

[/quote]

So just type in the name of my wallet? 

There is a reason I am The Drooling Masses® although I am motivated.

I'm restarting the daemon which will take a few minutes.
legendary
I have the keys file.  

If you have the keys file that's all you need.

1. Backup keys file securely before messing with it (make sure to back up any other wallets as well).

2. Make sure there are no conflicting wallet files with the same name

3. Load the keys file into simplewallet normally. It will regenerate the wallet.bin file.

I don't understand #3

How do I load the keys file into simple wallet "normally"?

legendary
I have the keys file.  

1. Backup keys file securely before messing with it (make sure to back up any other wallets as well).

3. Load the keys file into simplewallet normally. It will regenerate the wallet.bin file.

I don't understand #3

How do I load the keys file into simple wallet "normally"?
legendary
I have the keys file.  

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
What is the downside to keeping transaction fees high?  Shouldn't the blockchain continue selling it's scarce real estate at a premium, given XMR's exclusive features of high liquidity privacy-as-a-service?

scare real estate? The network can handle many more transactions then it does now Smiley

"Scarce" is a relative term.  Since ring signatures preclude pruning and have only been trimmed linearly at this point, and because of its popularity/liquidity, Monero's blockchain should be sold for whatever price the market will bear, probably at a price point above all other crypto real estate.  Charging less may be a subsidy, and reduce incentives important elsewhere.  If you subsidize bloat, you get more of it, which means you need more resources to run a full node.

Getting the incentives right is the key to decentralized scaling.  So far, so good.   Smiley

The Lab logo/colors is better than the original.  I demand MRS mugs and t-shirts!
legendary
Quote from: tacotime
This usually happens if it fails to find a way to make a tx within the given max tx size. I would try sending smaller amounts.

yeah i was able to send 100 XMR , seems 100 at a time is my max I can send from this wallet , actually the tx is not that bad if I can send 100 XMR at a time Grin

Around 100 XMR per transaction seems to be my limit as well.

It depends on the value of your inputs. I don't know the exact cutoff but if you aren't using mixing you can fit around 200 inputs in one transaction. So at 0.5 XMR per input that would be around 100 XMR. If your inputs are larger or smaller the maximum value of the TX will change accordingly.

legendary
Monero Missives

September 15th, 2014

5. We have a new tagged release, 0.8.8.4, available for download (binaries: Windows, Mac, Linux, FreeBSD). This adds the following features:

• Testnet: we now have an operating testnet. When using bitmonerod or simplewallet you can now use the --testnet flag to use testnet instead of mainnet. Feel free to run a mining node or just a testnet node, we will be setting up email alerts for testnet nodes when an update is pending (although having a few older testnet nodes on the network won't hurt testing).
  • FreeBSD Compatability: Monero now works on FreeBSD out the box. We will add it to the ports tree soon. At the moment compilation is no different from regular Linux and Unix compilation, and the same dependencies apply.
  • GPG commits: we have begun GPG-signing commits and merges. This is an important step in maintaining the integrity of the codebase, and will ensure that any compromise of our computers or even the github account won't allow a malicious attacker to push code to the repository without the unsigned commits being spotted. Verification can be done by running 'git log --show-signature', which will show and verify signatures. An example of what you should see is below:

• Versioning: versioning is a lot easier, now, as tagged releases from 0.8.8.4 onwards will show version-final (eg. 0.8.8.4-final) as their version, and those built between tagged releases will show version-commithash (eg. 0.8.8.4-9088ea1). We expect this will greatly aid in debugging problems, as we can immediately pinpoint the actual version / commit a user is on.
  • Logging: default log levels have been adjusted so that non-critical warnings are now relegated to log-level 1 and above. Apart from the normal reorganisation notifications, the only messages in red that should show up in the daemon are actual errors.

- updated by fluffypony

I downloaded the update.  Really strange getting no error messages Grin  Is there a reason the update is not on the first page?

I had set up a second wallet which is empty.  I erased the contents of the file associated with that wallet as I confused it with the simple wallet log file.  I thought each wallet had it's own log file but I guess not.  I figured it wasn't correct but did it anyway as it was empty.  The help menu in my working wallet shows nothing for restoring a wallet.  I checked the FAQ and it says that when restoring a wallet from seed it will ask for a NEW name and NEW password.  I would really like to keep both the name and pw.  Is there something else I can do?  I have the keys file.  
Activity: 507
Merit: 500
This usually happens if it fails to find a way to make a tx within the given max tx size. I would try sending smaller amounts.

yeah i was able to send 100 XMR , seems 100 at a time is my max I can send from this wallet , actually the tx is not that bad if I can send 100 XMR at a time Grin

Around 100 XMR per transaction seems to be my limit as well.
Activity: 28

Activity: 979
Merit: 510

That is very strange. It seems you may have created a new wallet instead of restoring the old one.

Hopefully you have safe backup copies of your wallet.bin.keys file that are separate from whatever you are using to try to restore. When working with wallet files always make sure you have good backups stored somewhere else so you can't mess them up.

That being the case, move all of the new wallet files somewhere else, make a new copy of your safely-stored wallet.bin.keys making sure there are no other wallet files there at all. Load into simplewallet.

If you don't get the same address at that point, you have gotten your wallet.bin.keys files mixed up.

I backed up the right roaming folder, but wrong wallet.bin perhaps.
I have the correct viewkey though, is there a way to recover with that and the original address?
If not, at least I emptied it out a month ago, so not too much pain.
Jump to: