Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1498. (Read 4670622 times)

legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1152
Are you a programmer now? Did you see the code?

Better let the experts (like Todd or Anonymint) have an opinion on this..

No need to take my word for it! These two fragments of code do similar things:

Code:
void tree_hash(const char (*hashes)[HASH_SIZE], size_t count, char *root_hash) {
  assert(count > 0);
  if (count == 1) {
    memcpy(root_hash, hashes, HASH_SIZE);
  } else if (count == 2) {
    cn_fast_hash(hashes, 2 * HASH_SIZE, root_hash);
  } else {
    size_t i, j;
    size_t cnt = count - 1;
    char (*ints)[HASH_SIZE];
    for (i = 1; i < sizeof(size_t); i <<= 1) {
      cnt |= cnt >> i;
    }
    cnt &= ~(cnt >> 1);
    ints = alloca(cnt * HASH_SIZE);
    memcpy(ints, hashes, (2 * cnt - count) * HASH_SIZE);
    for (i = 2 * cnt - count, j = 2 * cnt - count; j < cnt; i += 2, ++j) {
      cn_fast_hash(hashes[i], 64, ints[j]);
    }
    assert(i == count);
    while (cnt > 2) {
      cnt >>= 1;
      for (i = 0, j = 0; j < cnt; i += 2, ++j) {
        cn_fast_hash(ints[i], 64, ints[j]);
      }
    }
    cn_fast_hash(ints[0], 64, root_hash);
  }
}

Code:
uint256 CBlock::BuildMerkleTree() const
{
    vMerkleTree.clear();
    BOOST_FOREACH(const CTransaction& tx, vtx)
        vMerkleTree.push_back(tx.GetHash());
    int j = 0;
    for (int nSize = vtx.size(); nSize > 1; nSize = (nSize + 1) / 2)
    {  
        for (int i = 0; i < nSize; i += 2)
        {  
            int i2 = std::min(i+1, nSize-1);
            vMerkleTree.push_back(Hash(BEGIN(vMerkleTree[j+i]),  END(vMerkleTree[j+i]),
                                       BEGIN(vMerkleTree[j+i2]), END(vMerkleTree[j+i2])));
        }  
        j += nSize;
    }  
    return (vMerkleTree.empty() ? 0 : vMerkleTree.back());
}

The latter is a lot easier to read, and because it's C++ with boost there's no error-prone manual memory management.
legendary
Activity: 1237
Merit: 1010
I got also in touch with HitBtc, urging them to stop withdrawals and trading. Further, I offered my time to help the Monero devs. I also decided to keep the options markets open so you can still hedge (although I am afk for the next 6 hours mostly).

Calm down everyone! rpietila is here to save the day! Thank our savior!
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
which are the cryptonote coins doomed?

Not known yet, but my understanding is that they all derive from the original Bytecoin codebase. (If there has been a completely independent implementation of the CryptoNote technology, please enlighten me.)

I just checked, and Poloniex has Monero trading frozen right now, but Boolberry, Ducknote, Bytecoin, Aeon, and Moneta Verde are all still trading there, I assume since they haven't been attacked (yet).

They probably will not be attacked, this attack was planned several days in advance, you'd be able to tell if someone was already setting up a similar attack in the other coins.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
It looks like Mintpal and HitBTC are both still actively trading as well as withdraws and deposits are open.

Trading I can't do anything about. We've tried to contact those exchanges but haven't been able to.

However, I strongly recommend that you do not attempt to do deposits or withdraws

The block chain is a mess right now and there is no way to know what would happen to your coins.

Do not engage in any transactions at this time

I got in touch with freeworm and he says he froze XMR at bter
Let me know when it is all clear to resume

James

Signed:
James, the concerned, helpful helper!

I got also in touch with HitBtc, urging them to stop withdrawals and trading. Further, I offered my time to help the Monero devs. I also decided to keep the options markets open so you can still hedge (although I am afk for the next 6 hours mostly).

This thread and poloniex trollbox are very full of otherwise not so prominent or active people that are now speaking doom concerning XMR. If they don't short it themselves (difficult), they either get paid for the FUD, or want the price to tank to buy back lower. Otherwise it does not make sense.

It has even been mentioned that BBR should increase in price as a result from an attack towards XMR code (which BBR itself also uses). This proposal is ridiculous, because either it has the same vulnerability and the attack was just directed to the more prominent coin, or BBR will suffer the same attack soon or be already suffering it without even noticing, OR that BBR insider(s) are behind the attack.

Note to newcomers: BBR is the only (non-XMR) cryptonote coin that is not conclusively proven to be lead by the original CN scamteam Wink

Any way I got in touch with XMR devs, result:
- no rollback necessary
- everything is asked to be halted because a non-standard block got to the blockchain and reason needs to be figured out
- When I asked "what exactly makes this a problem from a client side?", he said "because it appears to have caused a fork thereafter - we're busy investigating"

Are you a programmer now? Did you see the code?

Better let the experts (like Todd or Anonymint) have an opinion on this..
Activity: 200
Merit: 100
So am I screwed then? I sent 100 XMR before seeing this thread this morning, now they haven't shown up at their destination. The transaction shows up on chainradar.com.
legendary
I just checked, and there is one "goto err" used in EC_KEY_regenerate_key() in the current codebase. But regardless, the Cryptonote codebase is far worse. For one thing, writing it in C with pointer arithmetic is just nuts.
Can you check BBR too? I know your time is super precious but...

BBR is Cryptonote, which uses gotos for error handling in a bunch of places. Pretty standard technique on C. Dangerous of course, but using C is dangerous in a whole lot of ways. (in most cases)
Thanks! (Damn Gotos @2014  Angry )
legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011

Not known yet, but my understanding is that they all derive from the original Bytecoin codebase. (If there has been a completely independent implementation of the CryptoNote technology, please enlighten me.)

I just checked, and Poloniex has Monero trading frozen right now, but Boolberry, Ducknote, Bytecoin, Aeon, and Moneta Verde are all still trading there, I assume since they haven't been attacked (yet).
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
It looks like Mintpal and HitBTC are both still actively trading as well as withdraws and deposits are open.

Trading I can't do anything about. We've tried to contact those exchanges but haven't been able to.

However, I strongly recommend that you do not attempt to do deposits or withdraws

The block chain is a mess right now and there is no way to know what would happen to your coins.

James

Signed:

This thread and poloniex trollbox are very full of otherwise not so prominent or active people that are now speaking doom concerning XMR. If they don't short it themselves (difficult), they either get paid for the FUD, or want the price to tank to buy back lower. Otherwise it does not make sense.

It has even been mentioned that BBR should increase in price as a result from an attack towards XMR code (which BBR itself also uses). This proposal is ridiculous, because either it has the same vulnerability and the attack was just directed to the more prominent coin, or BBR will suffer the same attack soon or be already suffering it without even noticing, OR that BBR insider(s) are behind the attack.

Note to newcomers: BBR is the only (non-XMR) cryptonote coin that is not conclusively proven to be lead by the original CN scamteam Wink

Any way I got in touch with XMR devs, result:
- no rollback necessary
- everything is asked to be halted because a non-standard block got to the blockchain and reason needs to be figured out
- When I asked "what exactly makes this a problem from a client side?", he said "because it appears to have caused a fork thereafter - we're busy investigating"

legendary
I just checked, and there is one "goto err" used in EC_KEY_regenerate_key() in the current codebase. But regardless, the Cryptonote codebase is far worse. For one thing, writing it in C with pointer arithmetic is just nuts.

BBR is Cryptonote, which uses gotos for error handling in a bunch of places. Pretty standard technique on C. Dangerous of course, but using C is dangerous in a whole lot of ways. (in most cases)
Activity: 910
Ah thanks for the correction, I remember this coming up in a "bitcoin code is bad" discussion last year or something and thought the goto was in the code.

Thanks Peter.

Now this will get interesting.
legendary
Ah thanks for the correction, I remember this coming up in a "bitcoin code is bad" discussion last year or something and thought the goto was in the code.

Thanks Peter.

legendary

Thanks Peter.

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Yes, create a new wallet, preferably on an offline computer, write down the seed words it gives you, and write down the public address it gives you. That is your paper wallet. Send to the wallet using the public address. Use the seed words to access the coins from it by creating a new online wallet with the '--restore-deterministic' option.

Wow, great explanation! Though I knew about the deterministic option, I somehow thought that XMR has no such thing as paper wallet.
Now... let's push my luck.. and is there any way to actually know how much is on a paper wallet without restoring it and going online? (my guess is "no", but I already guessed wrong once).

There will be using the view key, but not implemented yet.
legendary
Fair enough, however there was at one point a goto in bitcoin code, https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/2733/files

That's a proposed pull-req - it was never merged into the Bitcoin Core codebase. (in part because of the goto)

Thanks Peter.
Activity: 311
Merit: 250
legendary
Fair enough, however there was at one point a goto in bitcoin code, https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/pull/2733/files

That's a proposed pull-req - it was never merged into the Bitcoin Core codebase. (in part because of the goto)
legendary
Activity: 1036
And this is why adoption for cryptonote is at least 5 years behind bitcoin API.....all you hero shills love talking it up....

its untested - no business in their right mind would accept this technology when flaws like this exist.

Back to the drawing board...maybe you can look at the bloat / scalability issue while you are at it!
legendary

So what? The code base is brand new and needs work. Every Monero investor should know this.

Bitcoin was crap as a stack of cards at one point, it even had freaking goto loops in the code.

Lets keep the record straight: Bitcoin v1.0 had significantly better code quality than Cryptonote does from what I've seen; I just checked and there weren't any goto statements in the codebase. Cleaning up this mess isn't going to be easy, although it certainly is doable.

I'd strongly suggest taking the good part of Cryptonote - the ring signatures - and porting them over to the Satoshi codebase. Monero could be re-released based on that much better codebase and the UTXO set ported over at the same time so all coin owners on the old system were coin owners on the new system.

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
All new systems have bugs; based on the code I've looked at I fully expect we'll find an order of magnitude or three more serious bugs in the Cryptonote codebase than we found in the Bitcoin codebase.

Besides, by re-using the Bitcoin codebase you get the benefit of all the bugs that have been fixed over the past few years.

Are you offering help Smiley

Not quite - I've been hired as an advisor.

There are other things besides ring signatures that are good and I have no idea how compatible they are.  As always, tradeoffs.

I can't think of anything in Monero that would be fundementally incompatible with the Bitcoin codebase, although you'd certainly need to write some code. One good thing is that there's been a lot of recent work on the Bitcoin codebase to make it significantly more modular, to that reusing it for altcoins is easier than it used to be.

Thank you Peter.
Activity: 76
Merit: 10

James

Signed:
Jump to: