Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1501. (Read 4670622 times)

Activity: 378
Merit: 250

This is not fair. The hack looks serious. It has not occurred on other coin
I want to sell now before others realise the news. Many are still sleeping.
You prevent me from doing so?!!

This really did make me giggle.. Thanks..
Activity: 51
Merit: 10
Notify pools
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059
cryptos are action packed  Cheesy
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
lol get your btc ready!!!

there will be a chance for cheap xmr!!!

this happened to drk and there was a stupid dump... all xmr trolls and bcn shills, get ready to finally get your cheap xmr!
maybe you guys can just buy in instead of trolling all day!

I am half mad and half happy. this is annoying but I know xmr devs will fix it as quickly as they fixed spam attack.
 I will donate a lil bit of funds to help you guys
Activity: 51
Just send 6 XMR... Buy-buy... Fuck!!! Fix, waiting...
Activity: 493
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
Don't panic!
Activity: 9
Merit: 0

http://thehomeofhiphop.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/2chainzzzz.jpg

This is not fair.  The hack looks serious((  It has not occurred on other coin
I want to sell now before others realise the news. Many are still sleeping.
You prevent me from doing so ?
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
Network is forked. Do not move funds, do not spend, we're likely going to have to apply an emergency patch and roll back to before the corrupted block.
kbm
Activity: 84
Tx pool tx:

Timestamp (UTC)   Hash   Total Amount (XMR)   Fee (XMR)   Mixin count   Size (bytes)
2014-09-04 04:43:55 (9 minutes ago)   3f5ba0d27c0bf85bb7197608424ddf96338814073646c5a587cd6a9ae3cdfc18   66.000000000000   66.000000000000   1   151

..66 XMR fee?
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
What does that link mean, tacotime?

Successful attack achieved by including a corrupted block, we're trying to figure out what happened now.

transactions for 0.0000000 xmr = successful attack ?

Well its at least a bloat attack... but inserting a corrupted block.  woof.  I am worried about the implications.
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116

Successful attack achieved by including a corrupted block, we're trying to figure out what happened now.

transactions for 0.0000000 xmr = successful attack ?
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

legendary
Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
It is unexplained why, even after accounting for the PoW time, Monero takes more time per block even though it has fewer transactions per block. This definitely requires further investigation. I expect we will have a better understanding of it over time as we work on removing bottlenecks.

I read elsewhere that BBR uses a block format that is revised form the original CN block format.  Can any of the time difference per block be attributed to this difference in block formatting?

Not likely but until we understand specifically what is going on it can't be ruled out. My understanding is that the format change involves not including the ring signatures in the block hash. However the block hash is computed using an extremely fast algorithm (for both coins), so I can't imagine this making more than a negligible difference.

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
It is unexplained why, even after accounting for the PoW time, Monero takes more time per block even though it has fewer transactions per block. This definitely requires further investigation. I expect we will have a better understanding of it over time as we work on removing bottlenecks.

I read elsewhere that BBR uses a block format that is revised form the original CN block format.  Can any of the time difference per block be attributed to this difference in block formatting?

legendary
silly question, considering there's only a 64-bit linux build... can the wallet + daemon run on a raspberry pi?

Right now since the blockchain is being stored in RAM, absolutely not. Maybe in the future.
legendary
Edit - DO NOT send fromany exchange to your cold wallet/offline wallet, UNLESS they can give you the TXID for the monero blockchain verification, otherwise you have no way of verifying the transfer. (Correct me all night guys if i'm wrong and thanks to all for the help lately, especially smooth and fluffypony)!

You are correct. Complain to the exchange if they won't give you a txid.

However, if you are truly paranoid, even a txid isn't good enough enough because you can't verify that the correct amount is going to your address. Best to withdraw from the exchange to a live wallet, verify the correctness of the transaction, and then send to a cold wallet yourself.

This will be addressed with the view key functionality, eventually.  You will be able to observe and verify the transactions into your cold wallet online without you or anyone else being able to spend from it.
legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959
What are the thoughts on using multiple wallets?

I have a small amount in my original wallet from mining.  I just created another wallet as I want to move most of my stash off the exchange and I'm considering more than one for this.  I have multiple btc wallets and understand that the primary reason for doing this does not exist with Monero.  I guess for Monero I'm thinking of it more as my own organization, [mining wallet, long term wallet(s), transaction wallet(s)], as well as a don't keep all your eggs in one basket reflex.

I've also heard advice that one should do a test transfer to a new wallet to make sure everything is working.  Is this necessary?  

personally, i can understand the idea that you dont' want all eggs in one basket. However, with XMR (not BTC), noone but you can know what your address holds for a balance. I admit, I honestly don't know how hard it is for hackers to attack wallets etc etc, but I can say the coin's technical properties make me use only like 2 wallets. one online, one offline..this is the (mostly correct?) procedure i used for my offline wallet, directly from fluffypony, one of the devs. However - It's difficult, because unlike BTC, you cannot actually see your balance unless you verify the txid on the blockchain, but so far i'm ok with that, until viewkey feature is working)!

Edit - DO NOT send fromany exchange to your cold wallet/offline wallet (use a temporary Simplewallet address as the middlman)!, UNLESS they can give you the TXID for the monero blockchain verification, otherwise you have no way of verifying the transfer. (Correct me all night guys if i'm wrong and thanks to all for the help lately, especially smooth and fluffypony)!

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8246348
Jump to: