Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1499. (Read 4670622 times)

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
not just monero but all cryptonote coins are at risk.
How do you know?

did you read TacoTimes' preliminary explanation?  It seems that the issue is with the cryptonote protocol that all cryptonote coins share.

However let's wait and see what happens.  Most of us are speculating from a position of ignorance.  
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1152
All new systems have bugs; based on the code I've looked at I fully expect we'll find an order of magnitude or three more serious bugs in the Cryptonote codebase than we found in the Bitcoin codebase.

Besides, by re-using the Bitcoin codebase you get the benefit of all the bugs that have been fixed over the past few years.

Are you offering help Smiley

Not quite - I've been hired as an advisor.

There are other things besides ring signatures that are good and I have no idea how compatible they are.  As always, tradeoffs.

I can't think of anything in Monero that would be fundementally incompatible with the Bitcoin codebase, although you'd certainly need to write some code. One good thing is that there's been a lot of recent work on the Bitcoin codebase to make it significantly more modular, to that reusing it for altcoins is easier than it used to be.
Activity: 588
Merit: 500
Should have bought Boolberry instead, lol  Cheesy
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
Lets keep the record straight: Bitcoin v1.0 had significantly better code quality than Cryptonote does from what I've seen; I just checked and there weren't any goto statements in the codebase. Cleaning up this mess isn't going to be easy, although it certainly is doable.

I'd strongly suggest taking the good part of Cryptonote - the ring signatures - and porting them over to the Satoshi codebase. Monero could be re-released based on that much better codebase and the UTXO set ported over at the same time so all coin owners on the old system were coin owners on the new system.

what about the bug that created billions of BTC?

All new systems have bugs; based on the code I've looked at I fully expect we'll find an order of magnitude or three more serious bugs in the Cryptonote codebase than we found in the Bitcoin codebase.

Besides, by re-using the Bitcoin codebase you get the benefit of all the bugs that have been fixed over the past few years.

Are you offering help Smiley

There are other things besides ring signatures that are good and I have no idea how compatible they are.  As always, tradeoffs.
legendary
Activity: 952
Merit: 1000
Yeah! I hate ShroomsKit!
legendary
Activity: 952
Yeah! I hate ShroomsKit!
omg XMR is doomed!
Activity: 532
Looks like HitBTC just froze the deposits/withdraws and posted a warning
legendary
Lets keep the record straight: Bitcoin v1.0 had significantly better code quality than Cryptonote does from what I've seen; I just checked and there weren't any goto statements in the codebase. Cleaning up this mess isn't going to be easy, although it certainly is doable.

I'd strongly suggest taking the good part of Cryptonote - the ring signatures - and porting them over to the Satoshi codebase. Monero could be re-released based on that much better codebase and the UTXO set ported over at the same time so all coin owners on the old system were coin owners on the new system.

Activity: 77
Merit: 10
Ho hum.

BTC has suffered from many attacks and bugs in the past (fork of March 2013) and survived.

This sort of thing is to be expected for a young currency with a new algo and codebase.

Currently we have an attack.  From this the details will be discovered, and code patched to mitigate against this attack vector in the future.  Also once the attack is understood it may also lead to the discovery of other attack vectors, and the patching of those also.  This is good for the long term future of the coin.

If XMR is to be adopted as people in this thread believe then we can expect to experience similar events in the future as well.

Cheers

Dave
Activity: 445
Merit: 255
How do you know?
legendary
Activity: 1470
Want privacy? Use Monero!

So what? The code base is brand new and needs work. Every Monero investor should know this.

Bitcoin was crap as a stack of cards at one point, it even had freaking goto loops in the code.

legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1116
Don't panic!

Wow! Bittrex also disabled monero wallet and market as safe measure.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1134
It looks like Mintpal and HitBTC are both still actively trading as well as withdraws and deposits are open.

Trading I can't do anything about. We've tried to contact those exchanges but haven't been able to.

However, I strongly recommend that you do not attempt to do deposits or withdraws

The block chain is a mess right now and there is no way to know what would happen to your coins.

Do not engage in any transactions at this time

I got in touch with freeworm and he says he froze XMR at bter
Let me know when it is all clear to resume

James
Activity: 190

So what? The code base is brand new and needs work. Every Monero investor should know this.

Bitcoin was crap as a stack of cards at one point, it even had freaking goto loops in the code.

Cool idea, let's do that
legendary

Activity: 700
Activity: 311
Merit: 250
Seems that Monero is totally broken.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

Activity: 198
Merit: 100
Don't panic  Smiley It is just an accident
Yeah,don't be panic and don't sell your nodes for such low price.holders will win.we will see.

Agreed.

Funny thing: The price of BBR is not (yet?) going up -- in face of the XMR attack.
Activity: 112
gah so i cant even trade it... shit happens i guess.
Jump to: