Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1537. (Read 4670622 times)

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
Can we have some data on the aftermath of the attack? I'm primarily interested in

- number of transactions done in a given timeframe,
- megabytes added as bloat,
- effect in transaction speed
- total cost for the attacker

If there is anything else you find important, please share.
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit
OK will do.

Thankyou

Monero Core Team
Missive timeline overview
I added this link to the OP (Longer summary of each missive by Globb0).
Remember to update on the same post. Thanks for your efforts.
Monero Core Team
Could some esperanto speaker propose motto in esperanto? Let's first consider it in English then after in Esperanto. The actual motto could be slightly changed after the move to esperanto, for euphonic reasons (traduttore, traditore).

Below a compilation of previous proposals I am aware of. I also opened a reddit for this, it will probably be easier to handle there. Also note that this is an exercice in style and it doesn't constitute an official sanction of the motto idea, even though I am in the core team.

I also opened a reddit, which will probably be easier to handle than Bitcointalk: Monero motto in Esperanto.

Also, I propose an official motto for monero, suitable for business cards, physical coins & c.:
Monero est priquiditas pro populo.
Because: Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum videtur.
"Securing Freedom through Privacy" - Google Latin "Praesent libero per Securitate"
"Securing Financial Liberty through Privacy" - Google Latin "Aliquam erat volutpat Securitate libertas"

legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1190
monero.crypto-pool.fr as playing the games, the first 3 biggest pool has make mandatory update.

Resulrs broken my pool and dev (fluffony) not interest me for help résolve the problem ( is problem off pool ).

I resolve on solo with bad patch. ( DEV Bitmonero have been able to limit patch on transaction with bad fee and no other problem badhash per exemple )
Code:
--- a/src/cryptonote_protocol/cryptonote_protocol_handler.inl
+++ b/src/cryptonote_protocol/cryptonote_protocol_handler.inl
@@ -273,7 +273,7 @@ namespace cryptonote
       if(tvc.m_verifivation_failed)
       {
         LOG_PRINT_CCONTEXT_L0("Tx verification failed, dropping connection");
-        m_p2p->drop_connection(context);
+        //m_p2p->drop_connection(context);
         return 1;
       }
       if(tvc.m_should_be_relayed)

For information pool for admin:
If you update with new patch bitmonerod Before other.

When other node relay to you transaction fee 0.005.
You reject TX + Disconnecter node on P2P + add in greylisting.
After you reconnect at node when greylisting is not switch to blacklisting.

Your pool is connected only 3 node  and you make orphan and get last block with many time.

I have fixed code with comment line disconnect node send bad transaction.

Actualy my patch is bad (You can flood bitmonerod off my pool with bad transaction).

I have not choice. I use the patch or my pool not work.

I do not thank the DEV (fluffony) telling me to wait
DEV: Remember that a crypto is also the Pool and not only your code
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
Current tx fees are very low to keep XMR accessible to all users (about 1 cent per 24.4 KB)

when someone comes to me giving a factual example how his monero use actually suffers due to the fees, I will support him from my own pocket, considering this as a donation to monero ecosystem.

Ok, dude, we are pool ops and we are paying tx fees from our profits. Now, when fee raised 20 times, it's significant impact.

The fees go to the miners in the first place, so asking me to support your getting 20 times richer already, is understandably ROTFLMAO.

Why so serious, man? I thought it would be funny!

BTW, it seems exchanges in no hurry, I see last 15 blocks without transactions at all Sad

Rolling on the floor laughing certainly means I found it funny  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003
Current tx fees are very low to keep XMR accessible to all users (about 1 cent per 24.4 KB)

when someone comes to me giving a factual example how his monero use actually suffers due to the fees, I will support him from my own pocket, considering this as a donation to monero ecosystem.

Ok, dude, we are pool ops and we are paying tx fees from our profits. Now, when fee raised 20 times, it's significant impact.

The fees go to the miners in the first place, so asking me to support your getting 20 times richer already, is understandably ROTFLMAO.

Why so serious, man? I thought it would be funny!

BTW, it seems exchanges in no hurry, I see last 15 blocks without transactions at all Sad
donator
Merit: 1036

legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team
Linux binaries have been updated to 0.8.8.2 with the temporary fee hike fix: http://monero.cc/downloads/monero.linux.x64.latest.tar.bz2

Please switch to this version - we will have a permanent fix in the next few weeks that will bring the fees back down.

After replacing the linux binaries and running
Code:
./bitmonerod
I get
Code:
Illegal instruction (core dumped)

Operating System, Ubuntu 12.04 64bit

Monero was originally installed using the compilation script http://www.monero.cc/blog/new-version-installation-script-now-cpuminer-installation-support-ubuntu-12-04/index.html on 2014-07-13

Edit1: Should I rerun the script and recompile?

Edit2: I renamed bitmonero to bitmoneroback, ran (to recompile from source)
Code:
git clone git://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero && cd bitmonero && make
and then copied wallet.bin, and wallet.bin.keys, to ~/bitmonero/build/release/src and now everything works fine.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Back on topic, a question from the cadmium induced drooling masses.  For the update, all I need to do is download it and it will replace the files that need to be replaced automatically with nothing else needed to be done on our part?

Would be better if you deleted poolstate.bin after you shutdown the daemon and before you start it up again. If my understanding is correct, you will have hundreds of spam transactions in your mempool and you would have to wait 24h for them to drop out. In the meanwhile, I'm not sure how you would be affected.

This is most important for (solo) miners and pool nodes. For ordinary users having the spam in your mempool for 24 hours doesn't really matter.
Activity: 263
Merit: 250
Back on topic, a question from the cadmium induced drooling masses.  For the update, all I need to do is download it and it will replace the files that need to be replaced automatically with nothing else needed to be done on our part?

Would be better if you deleted poolstate.bin after you shutdown the daemon and before you start it up again. If my understanding is correct, you will have hundreds of spam transactions in your mempool and you would have to wait 24h for them to drop out. In the meanwhile, I'm not sure how you would be affected.

If the blockchain is the persistent storage of the network then the mempool is its RAM. Better make sure you don't cache stale data.

In other news I had also purchased a painting with Monero but more to the tune of about 80. It is also rather significantly smaller than my whole wall. De gustibus and all that.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
Agree we need pics
too much identifying  info already.

Yes, your name spells either XMR or Monero (if you use the o twice).

Back on topic, a question from the cadmium induced drooling masses.  For the update, all I need to do is download it and it will replace the files that need to be replaced automatically with nothing else needed to be done on our part?
legendary
Merit: 1217
Agree we need pics

ZzZzZz. Not such a good story without a picture of the painting. Still grats on your wall not being boring anymore.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
Agree we need pics
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Linux binaries have been updated to 0.8.8.2 with the temporary fee hike fix: http://monero.cc/downloads/monero.linux.x64.latest.tar.bz2

Please switch to this version - we will have a permanent fix in the next few weeks that will bring the fees back down.
donator
Windows binaries have been updated to 0.8.8.2 with the temporary fee hike fix: http://monero.cc/downloads/monero.win.x64.latest.zip

legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
Monero/XMR Unofficial Distribution Survey

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10FFq_viVaY_THsToPNEwgTxrBSGVxW1EzeYPHX_2nuQ/viewform?usp=send_form

The goal of this survey is to provide an exactly, up-to-date "rich" / distribution list to the XMR community, mostly for entertainment/observation purposes.

I will admin the user list to avoid any duplicates or fake entries. I will pledge to keep all entries anonymous.

Charts, analysis, and results coming soon - please participate!

Update: Usernames are no longer required, unless you are a "large" holder over 10k. I figure I already know who most of these folks are anyway and nobody will bother faking under 10k. Also, all entries will be kept anonymous.

Results so far based on my manual "guesstimate" list + responses so far:

(45 entries)
donator
OS X binaries have been updated to 0.8.8.2 with the temporary fee hike fix: http://monero.cc/downloads/monero.mac.x64.latest.tar.bz2

Activity: 294
Merit: 250
My impression (as someone who has been around the Bitcoin scene since 2011) is that Bitcoin development is in fact quite stagnant, and increasingly so.
This. I have this feeling too that Bitcoin is resting on its technological laurels and focusing on real life adoption. It seems to be all well and good at first sight, but really it isn't.

The problem with Bitcoin is not technological at heart, it is human.

Also, the bitcoin developers are not adding features that the people want (privacy). Rather, it's much more political/controlling now that big money is involved.

Bitcoin is govcoin now. The media may portray it as anonymous, private, but they are just tricking the noobs. Bitcoin is should not be considered money/cash if your looking for privacy. It should just be considered tokens to add to the biggest public ledger.

I noticed that
goes to show time after time no matter what the application, centralization is a problem.
Jump to: