Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1538. (Read 4670622 times)

legendary
Activity: 1321
Merit: 1007
My impression (as someone who has been around the Bitcoin scene since 2011) is that Bitcoin development is in fact quite stagnant, and increasingly so.
This. I have this feeling too that Bitcoin is resting on its technological laurels and focusing on real life adoption. It seems to be all well and good at first sight, but really it isn't.

The problem with Bitcoin is not technological at heart, it is human.

Also, the bitcoin developers are not adding features that the people want (privacy). Rather, it's much more political/controlling now that big money is involved.

Bitcoin is govcoin now. The media may portray it as anonymous, private, but they are just tricking the noobs. Bitcoin is should not be considered money/cash if your looking for privacy. It should just be considered tokens to add transaction to the biggest public ledger. Using it as money subjects you to financial surveillance. It's the unfortunate truth.

With the biggest Bitcoin players being regulated, it's only a matter of time before there are "white" and "black" coins. Yes, there are mixers. But it's very easy to distinguish which coins were mixed. Until there is a way to mix Bitcoin's securely, without it showing they were mixed, Bitcoin is not fungible. People will always prefer clean coins vs mixed.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
i bought a delectable painting for 2000 xmr.

No doubt the painting was very tasteful, but this is not a good use of art.  Are acrylics even digestible?

They seemed to be when I was a kid.  The yellow tasted nasty.  I wonder if it had cadmium in it.  Maybe that explains some things about me.
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
My impression (as someone who has been around the Bitcoin scene since 2011) is that Bitcoin development is in fact quite stagnant, and increasingly so.
This. I have this feeling too that Bitcoin is resting on its technological laurels and focusing on real life adoption. It seems to be all well and good at first sight, but really it isn't.

The problem with Bitcoin is not technological at heart, it is human.
Activity: 55
Merit: 0
Agree we need pics
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
No doubt the painting was very tasteful

beautiful, but rather huge.  i had to dedicate a whole wall.

Pix please.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
No doubt the painting was very tasteful

beautiful, but rather huge.  i had to dedicate a whole wall.

legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

No doubt the painting was very tasteful, but this is not a good use of art.  Are acrylics even digestible?
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003
Ok, dude, we are pool ops and we are paying tx fees from our profits. Now, when fee raised 20 times, it's significant impact. We just not ready.
BTW, you can donate to https://github.com/zone117x/node-cryptonote-pool so he will collaborate with devs in order to provide smooth migration for both miners and pool ops when major update to tx fees come.

We will be fixing this in the near future and are sorry for the inconvenience. However, keep in mind that people will also be paying you 0.1 XMR per transaction that you include in your block, so you may actually make more money than lose it by upgrading.

Yeah, I totally forgot about this. Probably valid if you keep txfees. Let's see.

Thanks, guys, for quick strike back.
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
Ok, dude, we are pool ops and we are paying tx fees from our profits. Now, when fee raised 20 times, it's significant impact. We just not ready.
BTW, you can donate to https://github.com/zone117x/node-cryptonote-pool so he will collaborate with devs in order to provide smooth migration for both miners and pool ops when major update to tx fees come.

We will be fixing this in the near future and are sorry for the inconvenience. However, keep in mind that people will also be paying you 0.1 XMR per transaction that you include in your block, so you may actually make more money than lose it by upgrading.
legendary
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1000
Monero/XMR Unofficial Distribution Survey

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/10FFq_viVaY_THsToPNEwgTxrBSGVxW1EzeYPHX_2nuQ/viewform?usp=send_form

The goal of this survey is to provide an exactly, up-to-date distribution list to the XMR community, mostly for entertainment/observation purposes.

I will admin the user list to avoid any duplicates or fake entries. I will pledge to keep the list my eyes only.

Charts, analysis, and results coming soon - please participate - you can edit your response in the future, save the link to do so!

legendary
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
is there a tx delay due to spam?

Yes there is. There are several hundred spam transactions waiting for confirmation, yours is likely waiting with them.

Your transaction will probably confirm eventually. If not (after 24 hours) you will need to resend it using the updated wallet with increased fee.
legendary
legendary

Did you send with 0.005 fee? Pool or solo miner with old daemon have to include your low-fee tx in a block. Not all pools updated yet so expect your coins soon.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
aside from speculation (exchanges) we have exactly one medical practice and one gambling site.
As well as two contractants: a chef and a servant (although it was only partially paid in XMR).

i bought a delectable painting for 2000 xmr.   the artist is paying rent in xmr.
Activity: 475
Merit: 500
legendary
Current tx fees are very low to keep XMR accessible to all users (about 1 cent per 24.4 KB)

There is no known legitimate uses that require low transaction fees to be profitable. I am happy to raise them 5-10 times higher and when someone comes to me giving a factual example how his monero use actually suffers due to the fees, I will support him from my own pocket, considering this as a donation to monero ecosystem.

ADD: It should be blatantly obvious that we don't want to sell 100 GB of blockchain space for $41k. Do the math dudes, for the sake of Monero!

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Over and above updating, either from my repo (http://github.com/fluffypony/bitmonero) which I won't rebase for the next couple of weeks or from the main repo, if pool operators and solo miners could also delete their poolstate.bin before restarting the daemon. This will ensure that the several hundred silly spammy tx's already in the mempool are kicked out by virtue of being silly.

To wit: update and compile; stop the daemon and simplewallet; delete poolstate.bin from ~/.bitmonero or the Windows equivalent; replace the daemon and simplewallet; restart the daemon and simplewallet.

Important note:

Make sure to do it in this order:

1. Stop bitmonerod

2. Delete file poolstate.bin

3. Start (updated) bitmonerod

If you delete the file while bitmonerod is running, it will be recreated with the old spam transactions still in it.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Over and above updating, either from my repo (http://github.com/fluffypony/bitmonero) which I won't rebase for the next couple of weeks or from the main repo, if pool operators and solo miners could also delete their poolstate.bin before restarting the daemon. This will ensure that the several hundred silly spammy tx's already in the mempool are kicked out by virtue of being silly.

To wit: update and compile; stop the daemon and simplewallet; delete poolstate.bin from ~/.bitmonero or the Windows equivalent; replace the daemon and simplewallet; restart the daemon and simplewallet.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
I hope pools will follow and apply this update as soon as possible. We all responsible for this coin.

it is rare that I can do anything for xmr other than buying and holding but in this case I am practically spamming pool devs to help make sure they switch over ASAP you can help too
Jump to: