Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1542. (Read 4670622 times)

kbm
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
Anyways, it mostly seems that they've offered a transaction method that 'works' in the sense that it can be done .. but also has attack vectors that are not shared by CryptoNote/Monero. Seems like an okay idea, but is outdated with the introduction of CryptoNote.

Thanks for your comments, which I will consider and probably reply to further soon.  Are you aware of better options than CoinShuffle for private Bitcoin transactions?

Another proposal I've seen is Greg Maxwell's CoinSwap:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/coinswap-transaction-graph-disjoint-trustless-trading-321228

Looking at it real quick .. it also seems like it relies on interested parties and is very slow .. involving multiple tx's that need to confirm before another is sent out .. so you'd have to wait for a long time for these types of tx's to complete (Monero being under ten minutes to completion .. at low speed; coinswap looks like it could take more than double that at top speeds). I'll read more on it, from what I've seen things gmaxwell comes up with are pretty good ideas.

Anoncoin is doing some fantastic things, I believe they're in the middle of trying to work a Zerocoin protocol into their coin (which is a bitcoin or litecoin fork .. I don't remember) .. along with implementing a cpp version of I2P, but are you asking about anon options in bitcoin itself or bitcoin protocol? I have my own grievances with ZC .. but as it doesn't exist yet I feel they're unjustified .. so I'm eagerly awaiting the release.
Activity: 82
This will never be secure if not every Bitcoin user is forced to use it for every transaction and that will never happen. like kbm already mentioned "This implies a smaller anonymity set, as it requires interested users."
Also i can´t see how an active protocol which needs time for mixing could outperform a totally passive system like ring signatures which are simply instant.

Someone I respect told me that after recently learning about CoinShuffle, he no longer believes that Monero or any other privacy coins can have substantial long-term prospects.  CoinShuffle is discussed here:

Anonymity is just the base of what Monero will offer.

Thanks, any further comments from core team members would be great.  I don't see why every Bitcoin user must be forced to use a privacy protocol for every transaction to provide a sufficient anonymity set.  Even a small percentage of Bitcoin users may be a larger absolute number than the entire user base of a privacy coin.  Also, isn't the primary issue the absolute number of people one is mixing with in a transaction (e.g., 50), rather than the total number of users of a privacy protocol or privacy coin?  It seems the total user base only needs to be above some reasonable absolute number to provide sufficient privacy.  The number of total users of a coin seems most important because of network effects that can determine whether a coin will survive against competitors, rather than its effect on privacy.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Is there a missives archive where I can review them all in order?

They're linked in the OP:

August 16 - Monero Missives #11 includes an update on the GUI, breaking the 600 subscribers barrier on reddit, pre-announcement for a donation system that also benefits donators directly, using "account" instead of "wallet", a Twitter campaign, an open-source stratum proxy, QoS bandwith control, easier compilation on Windows.
August 10 - Monero Missives #10 includes debriefing the Monero Fireside Chat #1, state of the art for the GUI, reminder about donations, a price ticker for websites, the move to Continuous Integration for faster development and moving to unmetered downloads
August 05 - Monero Missives #9 includes the announcement of Monero Fireside Chat, market and download statistics, inclusion in CoinsSource's Trust Index and cleaner builds.
July 23 - Monero Missives #8 includes Poloniex adding XMR trading pairs for a number of altcoins, and license changes to Monero.
Archives: #1 #2 #3 #4 #5 #6 #7
legendary
Activity: 874
Merit: 1000
monero

check the first page of this thread, it's all in the opening post  Wink
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2053
Free spirit

Activity: 82
Anyways, it mostly seems that they've offered a transaction method that 'works' in the sense that it can be done .. but also has attack vectors that are not shared by CryptoNote/Monero. Seems like an okay idea, but is outdated with the introduction of CryptoNote.

Thanks for your comments, which I will consider and probably reply to further soon.  Are you aware of better options than CoinShuffle for private Bitcoin transactions?

Another proposal I've seen is Greg Maxwell's CoinSwap:

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/coinswap-transaction-graph-disjoint-trustless-trading-321228
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Contributors are attracted to the project because of the quality of the architecture we're continually designing and the quality of the code that is being written.

Is there an overview of milestones archieved, or which are still in front? Some roadmap on the codechanges since the code fork from the former project.

seriously? do you even google, bro?

all that is out there, just google it, dont waste our time, because you look like another fucking sockpuppet.... seriously.. "Is it true?"  LOL... 

I don't think what he was asking for is, necessarily, sockpuppety:)

We don't have a roadmap right now, because it's hard to peg dates down, and a roadmap is a constantly shifting target. If you want a grasp of what we've achieved and where we're going then reading through the previous Monero Missives is a good start:)
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003
where is that old wallet gui called simple wallet ? bitmonero wallet v0.8.8.1.1(0.1-g3b887de)

simplewallet is standard CLI wallet.
Activity: 338
Merit: 100
https://eloncity.io/
where is that old wallet gui called simple wallet ? bitmonero wallet v0.8.8.1.1(0.1-g3b887de)

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000
only a few spots left in our Monero XMR giveaway!

Find out how to claim your FREE 0.4 XMR here:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/petitioning-cryptsy-btc-e-and-others-for-moneroxmr-731365
legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959
Contributors are attracted to the project because of the quality of the architecture we're continually designing and the quality of the code that is being written.

Is there an overview of milestones archieved, or which are still in front? Some roadmap on the codechanges since the code fork from the former project.

seriously? do you even google, bro?

all that is out there, just google it, dont waste our time, because you look like another fucking sockpuppet.... seriously.. "Is it true?"  LOL... 
Activity: 509
Merit: 500
moneropool.com -- pending balance is stuck again Smiley i'm over 2 XMR and counting Smiley

meh.. i'm still at .45 so don't know yet ... payouts seem to go out daily about in about 7 hours from now, so i'm sure youll get it then.

think of it this way, it's just less xfer fees this way... Cheesy

Less fees = No Complaints!!  Cool
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1085
Money often costs too much.

legendary
moneropool.com -- pending balance is stuck again Smiley i'm over 2 XMR and counting Smiley

meh.. i'm still at .45 so don't know yet ... payouts seem to go out daily about in about 7 hours from now, so i'm sure youll get it then.

think of it this way, it's just less xfer fees this way... Cheesy
Activity: 509
Merit: 500
Activity: 263
Merit: 250
Sometimes I wonder if marterluc is watching XMR
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
Big difference, Ring Signatures is embedded in Monero, Coinshuffle is not in bitcoin(it's a 3rd party mixer). Also, there isn't even a prototype for it.

Bryan Vu from Google is working on an implementation of CoinShuffle and has developed a simulator:

https://github.com/bryanvu/coinshuffle-sim
https://github.com/bryanvu/coinshuffle-server
http://simulator.devbtc.com
http://shuffle.devbtc.com

But why would I want to use something that has a smaller anonymity set and is simply not as anonymous?

All these competitors to Monero really fall down hard, and I cannot understand why you're supporting such inferior ideas, perhaps you're a troll?
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
getmonero.org
any eta for the gui?
looks damn nice! simple wallet is not that easy to use for most people i think its a entry barrier..

Per the tenth Monero Missive:

"There is still a lot of work to be done, so we are unable to provide a release timeline, but we are working on it as hard as possible"

Smiley

hi is there a new chat or missive/announcement tomorrow? xmr FTW!! Cheesy

One should come out until Sunday.
legendary
any eta for the gui?
looks damn nice! simple wallet is not that easy to use for most people i think its a entry barrier..

Per the tenth Monero Missive:

"There is still a lot of work to be done, so we are unable to provide a release timeline, but we are working on it as hard as possible"

Smiley

hi is there a new chat or missive/announcement tomorrow? xmr FTW!! Cheesy
Jump to: