Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1548. (Read 4670622 times)

Activity: 283
Merit: 250
Guys!

We've added cryptonote-based currency - Monero (XMR).

It seems we are the first lottery who really did.

Go to Fairproof.com and spend your Moneros.  Grin

Well done. Small step for Monero huge step for FairProof  Cool

Such backwards logic. No offense.

That said, it should be easy for other gambling and lottery sites to add monero. It's inevitable as it will not die like so many other coins with which those nice kind of sites do business, anyway Smiley
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
Guys!

Go to Fairproof.com and spend your Moneros.  Grin

Well done. Small step for Monero huge step for FairProof  Cool

Whats up with monerochain.info?  I just checked it and it still doesnt appear to be synchronized.  Are there any other sites such as that one?  What is the official one?

Thanks.

http://chainradar.com/xmr/blocks
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
getmonero.org
Guys!

Nice Smiley Is there any thread to check about this website being legit?
Activity: 125
Merit: 100
Guys!

legendary
Activity: 1762
Merit: 1011
I was able to play with the UI. I had to install QT5 and put the right bin path in "path" environment variable. Great work on this so far. I can't wait for the first working release that we can all test.

You guys have been doing a great job.

QT5, meaning not QT5.3, or should the latter work fine? Which bin directory should work for Windows 7 64-bit, C:\Qt\5.3\msvc2013_64\bin?
Activity: 50
Merit: 0
Way too technical. Grandma doesn't know what cache means.

i like the synchronous polysemy of cache.   my monero cache contains several wallets, each of which has various addresses but all refer to the same collection of crytonotes.  monero is different from bitcoin because it is more like cash.  cache reinforces that nicely.  the analogy of banknotes in a wallet to cryptonotes in a wallet is sonorous and symmetric, and has actual illustrative, didactic value relevant to features of the transacton protocol, if that should be useful.

so many opinions there are.
legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
i like the synchronous polysemy of cache.   my monero cache contains several wallets, each of which has various addresses but all refer to the same collection of crytonotes.  monero is different from bitcoin because it is more like cash.  cache reinforces that nicely.  the analogy of banknotes in a wallet to cryptonotes in a wallet is sonorous and symmetric, and has actual illustrative, didactic value relevant to features of the transacton protocol, if that should be useful.

so many opinions there are.
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
I prefer address and addressbook over account number and favourites.

Reasonning:
  • Account reminds of banking but this may be either bad (for bank haters) or good (because bank conjures something familiar). So all in all, this is a neutral argument that I only include for the sake of completeness.
  • Account reminds of centralisation, as already mentioned.
  • Addressbook is a holonym of address (or the other way around, address is a meronym of addressbook). By contrast, the semantic relation between "account number" and "favourite" is much more vague and so less self-sufficient. Favourites is ambiguous. Favourite pages, favourites features (shortcuts), favourite accounts (obviously the last one but at first sight, not so much).

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
is it considered to forbid 0 mixins in future?
this could prevent likability in some cases, doesn't it?

i read some pages back that it will be forbidden at protocol level, its a must change imho.

We are still studying various privacy issues including this one, so we don't have anything to announce just yet. Stay tuned.

Activity: 475
Merit: 500
is it considered to forbid 0 mixins in future?
this could prevent likability in some cases, doesn't it?
stupid question, what is the purpose of the view key?

Roughly speaking it serves a similar sort of purpose to looking at payments to an address on a bitcoin block explorer. Since payments are unlinkable by default you can't tell which payments are going to a specific address in Monero, unless you have the view key. So it can be used to track payments to an address that is supposed to be public, such as a donation address. I don't think there is any software to actually do this yet though.

There are also some technical applications for it, such as being used by lightweight clients (so a remote server can find your incoming transactions and forward them to you without being able to steal your coins). There are no lightweight clients yet either.

So presently it serves no practical purpose but will be used in the future.

ok nice, got confused because chain.info didn't show anything..
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Whats up with monerochain.info?  I just checked it and it still doesnt appear to be synchronized.  Are there any other sites such as that one?  What is the official one?

Thanks.
legendary

Roughly speaking it serves a similar sort of purpose to looking at payments to an address on a bitcoin block explorer. Since payments are unlinkable by default you can't tell which payments are going to a specific address in Monero, unless you have the view key. So it can be used to track payments to an address that is supposed to be public, such as a donation address. I don't think there is any software to actually do this yet though.

There are also some technical applications for it, such as being used by lightweight clients (so a remote server can find your incoming transactions and forward them to you without being able to steal your coins). There are no lightweight clients yet either.

So presently it serves no practical purpose but will be used in the future.

legendary
wow, that was a nice surprise, i thought the gui would be finished before the db

The DB is a much smaller undertaking. The main reason it is taking as long as it is we are not only adding a database but also doing a lot of documenting and refactoring as we go. This will not only improve the database solution (which will be modular allowing different databases to be used in different deployment environments) but also improve the overall development effort going forward. When we forked we got a bunch of undocumented code that frankly is not really that great in a lot of ways. We are making it better at the core.

Activity: 65
Merit: 10
Ahh, now I'd like to get my hands on an Windows GUI build which doesn't require that exhausting qt procedure. Cheesy
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Most existing online payment systems I have seen include the option to include a payment "reference" or identifier, e.g. when making a transfer to a local business to pay an invoice I enter their bank account details and then the reference would be the invoice number so they can easily allocate the payment. I appreciate that these systems provide the recipient with additional information that can be used to identify a payment should the reference be omitted or incorrect, which Monero doesn't, but I also suspect that the problem may be more significant currently because the CLI wallet does not provide any visual reminder that a payment ID may be required. When a novice user is presented with a GUI wallet "send payment" window that clearly requests a payment ID (and possibly asks them to confirm if they dont enter one) I believe that it will become much less of a problem.

Might be something to experiment with when user testing the new GUI wallet/account, it may not be necessary to make changes to the payment system.
legendary
Regardless of which route we take, packing it in with the account number is a necessity, even if this means the account number grows by a number of base58 characters.

Unicode is everywhere now.  It would make base-2^20 possible, saving on string length.

This is a joke, by the way.  The reason why it is infeasible is that most people can't type these strings, or read them out loud.  It would bring new meaning to "view-only key".
legendary
Doesn't this imply reusing payment ID's which is kind of bad?

So is re-using addresses.  The same solution can be applied, in applicable cases:   generate a new one.
I.e., in some workflows it would be suitable to generate payment ids from a shared seed with an incrementing nonce.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
If i'm remembering correctly, earlier you guys said that you didnt want to bring out a gui until you had solved the database stuff first because monero was not yet ready for the flood of users that would come with it. Now i see you guys talking about gui all the time and hardly ever about the database so im just wondering if something has changed. This is a big deal to me personally because I only have 2 gig's of ram. Im not sure if i even have access to my coins any more and if i do, not for long.

The database stuff will be done quite some time before a GUI is complete. Because we're cognisant of the amount of work involved in bring the GUI to fruition to the standards we expect, we have had no problem starting work on it sooner rather than later. By the time it's done all the other bits will be done;)

thanks Smiley
Jump to: