Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1550. (Read 4670622 times)

legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
how about that candle Smiley
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
eidoo wallet

{snip}

fulffypony: While I generally agree with the use of 'account' replacing 'wallet', I'd like to offer a suggestion to the team's consideration:

Wallet -> Account
Address -> Account Number (or Account ID, or something in those lines)

For people unfamiliar with crypto currencies in general, the function/meaning of "address" finds it's obvious counterpart in the traditional monetary systems, in the expression "account number" (unless there's some other expression that eludes me). I think this particular understanding is vital in making the shift to "account" successful.

{snip}

Seems a logical continuation of the policy of presenting a familiar frame of reference to "new to crypto" users to me, their "bank" is Monero and so naturally their "account" is identified by a "number".

More generally speaking there can be a downside to making things appear too familiar and easy to use, counter-intuitive as that may sound. Having written a few "idiots guide to..." for this sort of thing the biggest challenge is usually explaining the security side of things in simple/familiar terms, because most of the procedures experienced users might consider basic security don't have real world examples; e.g. "somebody cloned your credit card and spent your money without permission? Never mind, we'll reimburse you." doesnt happen with cryptocurrency.

But you can't clone coins Tongue
Activity: 252
Merit: 250

{snip}

fulffypony: While I generally agree with the use of 'account' replacing 'wallet', I'd like to offer a suggestion to the team's consideration:

Wallet -> Account

For people unfamiliar with crypto currencies in general, the function/meaning of "address" finds it's obvious counterpart in the traditional monetary systems, in the expression "account number" (unless there's some other expression that eludes me). I think this particular understanding is vital in making the shift to "account" successful.

{snip}

Seems a logical continuation of the policy of presenting a familiar frame of reference to "new to crypto" users to me, their "bank" is Monero and so naturally their "account" is identified by a "number".

More generally speaking there can be a downside to making things appear too familiar and easy to use, counter-intuitive as that may sound. Having written a few "idiots guide to..." for this sort of thing the biggest challenge is usually explaining the security side of things in simple/familiar terms, because most of the procedures experienced users might consider basic security don't have real world examples; e.g. "somebody cloned your credit card and spent your money without permission? Never mind, we'll reimburse you." doesnt happen with cryptocurrency.
Activity: 106
Merit: 10

I just reread the recent posts about wallet vs account and didn't see possible terminology for addresses mentioned.  Did I miss it?

One thing that I have seen confuse people with using btc is, what exactly is a private key and what do they do with it?  Public keys being addresses/accounts seem straight forward to them.

Private key is your password.

EDIT: Sorry, i see now i may have misunderstood your post. Its confusing for the users, not an actual question.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

That's an education thing that we'll have to battle through - getting people to understand that there's no central money control or anything. However, I think the conversation is going to be a lot easier.

"You just create a new account, which is completely secure and free, and you can create as many different accounts as you need for you, your wife, your business, whatever. And the great thing is that there's no government or company that controls your money, just like with Bitcoin, so you are in control of your money."

Wallet -> Account

This would be a brief, yet sensible description, that integrates both terms:
Creating an account in the P2P Monero network, is the process of generating a Monero account number, under the control of an individual's private key (or seed?).

PS1: I think that there's some conflating the everyday use of 'wallet' as the "location/resource/data that holds funds for an individual", and the use of 'wallet' as the "piece of software that an individual uses to manage/operate on his funds". Is there a name yet for the new GUI, the upcoming Monero Client? (/hint /suggestion)

PS2: I struggled to express my thoughts concerning the terminology, hope this makes enough sense to spark some discussion, or perhaps feedback from any of the (many) brighter minds in this community.

And now that you've doomed my "monujo.com" domain worthless, I'll let it go for 3 Moneros, any takers? 2 Moneros? 1 Monero? Hell No!
Cheers,
~ Myagui

I just reread the recent posts about wallet vs account and didn't see possible terminology for addresses mentioned.  Did I miss it?

One thing that I have seen confuse people with using btc is, what exactly is a private key and what do they do with it?  Public keys being addresses/accounts seem straight forward to them.
legendary
Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001

That's an education thing that we'll have to battle through - getting people to understand that there's no central money control or anything. However, I think the conversation is going to be a lot easier.

"You just create a new account, which is completely secure and free, and you can create as many different accounts as you need for you, your wife, your business, whatever. And the great thing is that there's no government or company that controls your money, just like with Bitcoin, so you are in control of your money."

Wallet -> Account

This would be a brief, yet sensible description, that integrates both terms:
Creating an account in the P2P Monero network, is the process of generating a Monero account number, under the control of an individual's private key (or seed?).

PS1: I think that there's some conflating the everyday use of 'wallet' as the "location/resource/data that holds funds for an individual", and the use of 'wallet' as the "piece of software that an individual uses to manage/operate on his funds". Is there a name yet for the new GUI, the upcoming Monero Client? (/hint /suggestion)

PS2: I struggled to express my thoughts concerning the terminology, hope this makes enough sense to spark some discussion, or perhaps feedback from any of the (many) brighter minds in this community.

And now that you've doomed my "monujo.com" domain worthless, I'll let it go for 3 Moneros, any takers? 2 Moneros? 1 Monero? Hell No!
Cheers,
~ Myagui

Activity: 47
Merit: 0
As traders and trodlers know, sometimes the handling of Monero seems to be a bit special for exchanges and users. Forgotten payment-id, blockchain not syncronized etc. are every-day-events, as I know, because most of my own trading is with Moneros.

Then you need support and find that there are large differences in the quality of support. This has motivated me to open a thread "quality comparison of the exchanges' support":

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/quality-comparison-of-the-exchanges-support-743446

I want to invite all of you to report your experiences with the support of whatever exchange you are using, as a helpful support for other users and - hopefully - inspiration for the exchanges to improve their support.
Activity: 475
Merit: 500
What does everyone think about whats happening with drk right now

If i'm not mistaken this is like the fourth or fifth time their dev team has failed to produce, seems like market cap is getting raped...

Do you guys think some of the value being taken from dark coin will move into monero?

i guess its unlucky timing with the bitcoin drop aswell, the release seems to be fine except some minor updates which followed.
release got delayed often there is a lack of confidence i think,
basically almost all coins are down so its maybe not up to the release
Activity: 294
What does everyone think about whats happening with drk right now

If i'm not mistaken this is like the fourth or fifth time their dev team has failed to produce, seems like market cap is getting raped...

Do you guys think some of the value being taken from dark coin will move into monero?
Activity: 294
hi
 is this coin still the most secure coin out there?

last time i could not even use my own coins..

If you couldn't use your coins it is likely because you were doing something wrong, or NOT doing something right.

The answer to your question though, lies within your definition of "secure"
In terms of network hash rate, no, there are other coins with higher hash rates and thus more difficult to perform a 51%
In terms of being safe from prying eyes, yes, this coin is absolutely the most secure.
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
hi
 is this coin still the most secure coin out there?

last time i could not even use my own coins..
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004
how can i make the GUI work on OSX?

i just installed Qt libraries but i get this error message.

Code:
/Users/***/Downloads/Monero.app/Contents/MacOS/bitmonero ; exit;
Systems-MacBook-Pro:~ ***$ /Users/***/Downloads/Monero.app/Contents/MacOS/bitmonero ; exit;
dyld: Library not loaded: /Users/ric/Qt5.3.1/5.3/clang_64/lib/QtQuick.framework/Versions/5/QtQuick
  Referenced from: /Users/***/Downloads/Monero.app/Contents/MacOS/bitmonero
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap: 5
logout

Try download it again - the OS X build with the static libs has been uploaded. Now I'm fighting through the Windows equivalent...and then on to Linux!

Sweet. Playing around with the interface now, I love how different it is from the vanilla Bitcoin-Qt. It reminds me of Ableton Live UI, which is cool.

I donated another 100 XMR for your hard work!
Activity: 329
is this the future gui wallet account?

https://github.com/Neozaru/bitmonero-qt

it builds fine under linux but it never ends importing the existing wallet account...
sorry but i can't wait Smiley
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Agree 100%. Design for grandma, and all will be well.

Really nice job overall with the product direction.

One question about the database work. Wasn't that supposed to have started about two months ago? Any progress?

Nioc linked you in, but just to reiterate - the initial abstraction effort was here: https://github.com/tewinget/bitmonero/tree/blockchain, and then about a month ago we moved from abstraction to refactoring and further abstraction, which is here: https://github.com/tewinget/bitmonero/tree/bc2. It's a lot of work that requires an incredible amount of discussion before something is done so that we cater for edge-cases. Incredibly painful, but we're getting there:)
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

Code:
Systems-MacBook-Pro:~ ***$ /Users/***/Downloads/Monero.app/Contents/MacOS/bitmonero ; exit;
dyld: Library not loaded: /Users/ric/Qt5.3.1/5.3/clang_64/lib/QtQuick.framework/Versions/5/QtQuick
logout

Try download it again - the OS X build with the static libs has been uploaded. Now I'm fighting through the Windows equivalent...and then on to Linux!
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008

One question about the database work. Wasn't that supposed to have started about two months ago? Any progress?

The thing about that slight downside is that the target audience ("ordinary" users) don't care about decentralisation, as long as it works and they have a vague idea that the government can't swipe their funds. After all, it's the same people who regularly sell their soul to Zuckerberg in exchange for another round of Farmville:-P

I don't know if this is what you were looking for.

Monero Missives

August 10th, 2014

Hello, and welcome to our tenth Monero Missive!

This Missive was meant to go out on August 10th, but due to a little miscommunication and all the excitement with the new GUI, it went out quite a bit later. Please accept our apologies for the delay in bringing this to you!

Dev Diary

Blockchain: tewinget is starting to bring the abstracted BlockchainDB functions together, as discussed in the Fireside Chat. You can continue to follow his work on his branch: https://github.com/tewinget/bitmonero/tree/bc2

It was discussed in the Fireside Chat.  I watched the whole thing even though I haven't a clue. 
The Cluless Masses®.

Monero Missives

August 16th, 2014

Hello, and welcome to our eleventh Monero Missive!

Dev Diary

Blockchain: tewinget's abstraction and refactoring of the blockchain functions is coming to a head, and we are hoping to start some specific integrations for performance testing so that an embedded database can be decided on and fixed.

Activity: 50
Merit: 0

The thing about that slight downside is that the target audience ("ordinary" users) don't care about decentralisation, as long as it works and they have a vague idea that the government can't swipe their funds. After all, it's the same people who regularly sell their soul to Zuckerberg in exchange for another round of Farmville:-P
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1004

Code:
logout
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
what's the story with coinmarketcap listing monero as 43'd and with a supply of only 351,544xmr?

They are getting their data from monerochain.info I think, and monerochain is updating its blockchain.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
what's the story with coinmarketcap listing monero as 43'd and with a supply of only 351,544xmr?
Jump to: