Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1551. (Read 4670622 times)

Activity: 150
Merit: 100
I was able to play with the UI. I had to install QT5 and put the right bin path in "path" environment variable. Great work on this so far. I can't wait for the first working release that we can all test.

You guys have been doing a great job.
Activity: 405
Merit: 250
Why monero.cc website is offline.
Works for me.
The website was offline 18 minutes.

Website offline with cloudflare error using google chrome.  But I can access it normally using Tor browser. Too bad i cannot download the blockchain.  Sad

What country are you connecting from?

Philippines.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
Works for me.

Website offline with cloudflare error using google chrome.  But I can access it normally using Tor browser. Too bad i cannot download the blockchain.  Sad

What country are you connecting from?
Works for me.

legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
getmonero.org
Does anyone know what is going on with coinmarketcap?  It shows that Monero only has around 193000 total coins.  I thought this was supposed to be around 2.7M.

it takes values from monerochain.info which is updating the blockchain right now so its months back and it shows less coins. It will soon be alright...
Activity: 99
Merit: 91
Does anyone know what is going on with coinmarketcap?  It shows that Monero only has around 193000 total coins.  I thought this was supposed to be around 2.7M.
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
eidoo wallet
First, thanks for the weekly Monero updates. I am most excited by the new GUI.

Regarding the renaming of wallets to accounts, going against the grain here is probably going to do more harm than good. All of Bitcoins advertising (terms) is basically industry standard, not to mention Paypal using the term wallet as well. I strongly suggest against rebranding the term to account.

Unless you plan on spending more money and resouces getting the word out there about Monero accounts, than BTC wallets, you are waging a losing battle. Perhaps later, when Monero is well known, but doing it at this juncture is like putting both the cart before the horse and creating an uphill battle, at a minimum. TBH, I would prefer to put this rebranding, waaaay on the backburner.

Further, account does sound a bit centralized in that it sounds connected to an institution or company.

Please rethink this expenditure of energy that imo is going to come back and bite us.

Much respect to the devs however. I am just bringing up a concern.

IAS

The problem is that waiting leads to entrenchment. We've seen it time and time again; this very forum is an example of something that was haphazardly done to fill a need, and now we're lumped with it. If we're going to make a change that is trivial (this requires no effort other than renaming some stuff) but has far-reaching effects, then it is imperative that we do it now.

PayPal only use PayPal Wallet to describe their mobile app that you can also use for in-store payments, and this parlance has been followed by MasterCard with their PayPass Wallet, and the terribly unsuccessful Square Wallet that they recently killed off. When you go on to PayPal's website and sign up they give you the option of creating an individual account or a business account, so the term is in use and familiar to people. Perhaps it'll make more sense if I show you a mockup of the second step in the first-start wizard (please ignore grammar/spelling faux pas) -

Remember that we're not trying to do what Bitcoin already does. We're untethered and unhinged, and merely following in Bitcoin's footsteps has done Litecoin and others no good. In a sense (and I'm not trying to make comparisons here) we are in a position to do what Apple did when they released the first iPhone. Did touchscreen phones exist? Absolutely. Did smartphones exist? Most assuredly. Were there phones with capable browsers? Definitely. So what did the iPhone do differently that made it successful? It built on an existing foundation others had created, but it pulled everything together in a way that made it accessible to everyone. Windows Mobile in 2007 was for nerds, Blackberry was for businessmen. The iPhone was for everyone. Let's not constrict and restrict ourselves by looking at what Bitcoin does:)

I continue to be amazed. I at first thought, why deviate from "wallet" to 'account", but with more thought on it, account actually is the better term to use, than wallet.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Activity: 1036
Merit: 275
Why monero.cc website is offline.  I need to download blockchain.  Is there any other site where I can download the monero blockchain?

there is no way , only if some one uploads it for you
donator
Hi!

i didnt read all in here but some questions..
Does snycing always take so much Time? Anything considered to improve that in future?
Is the wallet Safe? Read posts where People Lost coins... Is it true? Otherwise are you all keeping the coins online?
Regards

We are looking at ways of improving this - it's very bandwidth intensive (not so much CPU intensive). It's related to this github issue: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/issues/89 which is pending analysis.

Nobody has lost coins just by using Monero; the only time they lose coins is if they lose access to their wallet. People sometimes think they've lost coins because they've used an old version of the CLI wallet with incorrect tx fees, and their transaction falls out the mempool after 24 hours. In this event they need to rebuild their wallet cache, else the funds will appear to be "gone".
donator
Why monero.cc website is offline.  I need to download blockchain.  Is there any other site where I can download the monero blockchain?

Nope, it's up - http://isup.me/monero.cc concurs.

donator
Has anyone suggest "Monero Cache" as wallet title?

Yes - we had a discussion, on IRC if I recall, where everyone misunderstood and thought that "account" was off the table, and spent 4 or 5 hours going through every possible word (made up, non-English, or dictionary words) that we could use. It was kinda funny when we realised that I'd said that "account" was on the table, but the exercise was good. We played around with variations of "vault" or "piggy bank", which have mostly positive connotations but don't convey the sense of being able to transact with it. We also played around with variations of "wallet" (obviously), "cabinet", and "keychain" or "keyring". In the end, the most suitable term we could find was "account", which ticks all of the boxes, and only has the slight downside of implying centralisation. The thing about that slight downside is that the target audience ("ordinary" users) don't care about decentralisation, as long as it works and they have a vague idea that the government can't swipe their funds. After all, it's the same people who regularly sell their soul to Zuckerberg in exchange for another round of Farmville:-P
donator
"I want to recover my account from my 24 work seed" ?!

You read the line above that image where I said "Perhaps it'll make more sense if I show you a mockup of the second step in the first-start wizard (please ignore grammar/spelling faux pas) -" right?
legendary
But synctime is just related to the algorithm right? Or are there Other delay-factors?

Not really, you have to also believe that the implementation is a good efficient implementation of the algorithm. It probably isn't.

No concrete Plans how That Could be Speed up right now, are there?

Our immediate plans are to continue code reviews and identify and correct problems with the implementation. There are many.

Activity: 475
Does snycing always take so much Time? Anything considered to improve that in future?

It takes longer if you haven't used it for a while (if ever).

Yes it will probably be improved in the future.

Is the wallet Safe? Read post where People Lost coins??.. Is it true? Otherwise are you all keeping the coins online?
Regards

I'm not aware of anyone losing coins. There were some issues with people who didn't update their wallet using too low a transaction fee which made their transactions not confirm. They got their coins back by resyncing their wallet.

Make sure you you securely back up your wallet keys file.

Ok thanks.
But synctime is just related to the algorithm right? Or are there Other delay-factors?
No concrete Plans how That Could be Speed up right now, are there?
legendary

It takes longer if you haven't used it for a while (if ever).

Yes it will probably be improved in the future.

Is the wallet Safe? Read post where People Lost coins??.. Is it true? Otherwise are you all keeping the coins online?
Regards

I'm not aware of anyone losing coins. There were some issues with people who didn't update their wallet using too low a transaction fee which made their transactions not confirm. They got their coins back by resyncing their wallet.

Make sure you you securely back up your wallet keys file.

Activity: 475
Hi!

i didnt read all in here but some questions..
Is the wallet Safe? Read posts where People Lost coins... Is it true? Otherwise are you all keeping the coins online?
Regards
Activity: 149
Merit: 100
"I want to recover my account from my 24 work seed" ?!

If you find something misspelled the devs ask after they have a more formal version available to let them know via github that the wording should be changed or advise of spelling errors, etc.
Jump to: