Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1652. (Read 4670614 times)

Activity: 605
Merit: 500
I'm afraid the people (well respected contributors no less) saying it makes no sense for botnet owners to mine Monero are mistaken. Sure, other coins might be more profitable in small volumes, but there's no way a botnet will be able to exchange out of a thinly traded premined shitnote and into BTC without bringing the price to zero. Same for VTC

Don't get me wrong, im in this coin for the long haul. I've exchanged all my alts for XMR. I expect botnets securing the network. As the network grow to include more efficient hardware, this will be less and less of an issue. It's a little disheartening to see this kind of misinformation here. Understand that there is no better coin for botnet operators to mine right now, and this is to be expected. Not sure if there are ulterior motives at play or if you're simply not taking volumes into consideration when claiming otherwise
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
So many people (including bitcointalk hero members and btc whales) saying they are buyers at this price but not bid support on the exchanges. I find this curious.

Buy Orders
Price   XMR   BTC
0.00240200   301.44639286   0.72407424
0.00240005   83.33159726   0.2
0.00240003   20.83307292   0.05
0.00240002   2054.5795685   4.93103206
0.00240001   500   1.200005
0.00240000   1658.80367081   3.98112881

There are 75 BTC against 89000 XMRs at Poloniex, divide 75/89000 = 0.0008, that's the average price buyers are willing to pay. Frankly, I don't see how the price can be 5x higher than its closest competitor Boolberry, both coins are technically equal. Even hero members are not bigger than the market and can't support the price indefinately.

If that logic were sound than the value of both ought to be very close to zero because they are infinitely reproducible.
Activity: 869
Merit: 585
patience buyers...miners will mine for you..lets buy XMR at cheap prices.

lots of smart people and respected members here see the potential and in a way created a buying hype..but XMR is still not as user friendly as BTC and not as known to many people yet.

Well the trouble is a low value may cause new potential developers to lose interest. Or worst case even the current developers.

People. Please don't give up hope.

hmm that's bad..

this is out of XMR topic and a little bit funny for me..coz now i see the advantage of dashcoin  Cheesy

quote from the OP of DSH:

Why mirror image is better than self sustained fork?
The reason is simple - costs. Self sustained forks demand a lot of development time, if you want to build a well maintained cryptocurrency. And if the network grows, the required development time is likely to grow too.
A simpler, and less costly way to maintain a network with high reliability is to create a self mutating copy of parasite on it. Mutating copy Parasite is a simple copy of the original source, mutating every time the original source mutates.

Even more - such a process can be automated!

FTFY
legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants
I think bytecoin has a better shot than tenebrix, but not enough to out-compete monero.

lol tenebrix
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
I also bought some additional XMR. Sadly, it was less than 0.5 BTC given my really limited economical capabilities.
My trading plan involves cashing out from one altcoin tomorrow. Great timing, I hope.
Activity: 280
Merit: 250
BUT....  the decline has been long and steady.  What do you think is driving this?  And how can this coin recover?
Tacotime said: "It’s not until 2-3 years in that we’ll likely see obscene increases in price given simple economics."
The said simple economics being mostly inflation rate (the rest being inside (wallet, website) or outside (institution getting into monero) announcements.
BTC was cheap for several years. And Monero follows a BTC-like emission curve. Connect the dots.

Network effect, liquidity, first mover advantage.
Well, technically, First-mover advantage is for Bytecoin Smiley But then again, this did not help Tenebrix either.

Monero is THE cryptonote currency. Everything else is altcoins.
Someone somewhere proposed the word "altnotes" Smiley

(finally thought about checking the "don't use smiley" checkbox. I feel much better now)

Yep. I've been buying XMR to hold for at least 2-3 years based on the emission curve. FWIW in the cryptonote world I see XMR as gold while BBR is more like silver. I've got a chunk of both but XMR is the better long term prospect. The only 'danger' I see with the price right now is I might be tempted to buy much more. ;-)

Keep up the good work devs. :-)
legendary
Activity: 1552
Merit: 1047
BUT....  the decline has been long and steady.  What do you think is driving this?  And how can this coin recover?
Tacotime said: "It’s not until 2-3 years in that we’ll likely see obscene increases in price given simple economics."
The said simple economics being mostly inflation rate (the rest being inside (wallet, website) or outside (institution getting into monero) announcements.
BTC was cheap for several years. And Monero follows a BTC-like emission curve. Connect the dots.

Well, technically, First-mover advantage is for Bytecoin Smiley But then again, this did not help Tenebrix either.

Someone somewhere proposed the word "altnotes" Smiley

(finally thought about checking the "don't use smiley" checkbox. I feel much better now)
Bytecoin can be ignored due to the massive 80% "pre-mine", the only reason it has any value at all is that it has first mover advantage, but so does Monero for being the first fair cryptonote currency. I think bytecoin has a better shot than tenebrix, but not enough to out-compete monero.
legendary

lots of smart people and respected members here see the potential and in a way created a buying hype..but XMR is still not as user friendly as BTC and not as known to many people yet.

Well the trouble is a low value may cause new potential developers to lose interest. Or worst case even the current developers.

hmm that's bad..

this is out of XMR topic and a little bit funny for me..coz now i see the advantage of dashcoin  Cheesy

The reason is simple - costs. Self sustained forks demand a lot of development time, if you want to build a well maintained cryptocurrency. And if the network grows, the required development time is likely to grow too.
A simpler, and less costly way to maintain a network with high reliability is to create a self mutating copy of it. Mutating copy is a simple copy of the original source, mutating every time the original source mutates.

Seriously? Relying on other people for development with that lame excuse?
So Bytecoin introduces some bug in purpose, dashcoin copies it automatically and destroys the network? Sounds really awesome...

yep that's why its funny..but solves the costs issue for development..bytecoin bug will affect them (bytecoin) first. bytecoin woudn't do that to themselves..i think so..
Dashcoin is a "shitcoin" for lack of a better word. Shitcoins may be pumped but eventually they all die due to lack of interest. They are usually created with the solo purpose of enriching the creator/early-adopter. It's pretty much the modern day form of a ponzi scheme.

Does it solve the cost of development? Certainly. But if all it takes is to copy/paste bitcoin/monero and have value is instantly created out of thin air then why not repeat this process a billion times? Quite simple: Unlimited inflation causes the coin to be worth zero.
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team

Well, technically, First-mover advantage is for Bytecoin :) But then again, this did not help Tenebrix either.

Someone somewhere proposed the word "altnotes" :)

legendary
So many people (including bitcointalk hero members and btc whales) saying they are buyers at this price but not bid support on the exchanges. I find this curious.

Buy Orders
Price   XMR   BTC

There are 75 BTC against 89000 XMRs at Poloniex, divide 75/89000 = 0.0008, that's the average price buyers are willing to pay. Frankly, I don't see how the price can be 5x higher than its closest competitor Boolberry, both coins are technically equal. Even hero members are not bigger than the market and can't support the price indefinately.
Network effect, liquidity, first mover advantage. Monero is THE cryptonote currency. Everything else is altcoins. Why do you think bitcoin is worth 70 times more than litecoin?

Boolberry does not offer anything significantly better/different than monero.

If all it takes is to have a technically equal currency for it to be valued at 1:1 ratio then you also need to understand that all coins will be equally worthless due to unlimited inflation.
Activity: 336
Merit: 260

Buy Orders
Price   XMR   BTC

legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1059

hmm that's bad..

A simpler, and less costly way to maintain a network with high reliability is to create a self mutating copy of it. Mutating copy is a simple copy of the original source, mutating every time the original source mutates.

So Bytecoin introduces some bug in purpose, dashcoin copies it automatically and destroys the network? Sounds really awesome...

yep that's why its funny..but solves the costs issue for development..bytecoin bug will affect them (bytecoin) first. bytecoin woudn't do that to themselves..i think so..
Activity: 532

hmm that's bad..

legendary
Activity: 3766
Merit: 5146
Whimsical Pants

Buy Orders
Price   XMR   BTC
Activity: 94
Merit: 10
Monero developers needs your support!
At http://pool.cryptoescrow.eu We donate 20% to Core-dev team. Now 40% of pool fee goes to donations: Total fee stays 1%
Join our pool and start supporting Monero development!
legendary

hmm that's bad..

Activity: 784
Merit: 272
All the leading projects with some credibility should pool together to distribute articles on anonymity problems with litecoin, bitcoin, etc. Do it through one person who writes everything in generic terms not xmr is better than xyz.  When anonymity is on the radar as an issue, all related prices will go up, then you can start to distinguish differences.

This idea is nice, but the ongoing FUD campaigns inevitably breed distrust in the cross-community comparison. One needs to be understood and dealt with before the other. It would be interesting if it were revealed that no anonymous competition is behind this, but at this point it's not possible to tell. It's an effective campaign, and is recently losing ground IMO.

This thread is going out to all those who stand for Cryptos, whether it be Bitcoin, Litecoin, Dogecoin, Darkcoin, NXT, NEM or something else (sorry I didnt mention others!).

I for one am putting my foot down (with little no no authority here obviously) and standing up for all cryptos and also that get consistently bashed by trolls!

This post really made me make this thread (https://litecointalk.org/index.php?topic=20452.0), and I would love to see community members across all isles band together and put a stop to the coin bashing.

Recently I have seen a significant increase in coin bashing from a few trolls, and as a community we need to put a stop to this and defend all cryptos that are trying their damnness to create something that will have a good alternative or possibly even replace fiat. We are all brothers and sisters in the same community, whether you realize this or not.

I am a Litecoin advocate and proud of it, but that doesnt mean I hate other cryptos. Rather I recognize that we are a family, and we are stronger when standing together.

As a side note and forewarning, this is also a self moderated thread to remove any trolls that come in here and spread the hate. For all I know they are NSA lackies that were hired to spread FUD (and before the tin foil hat posts go up, realize that the NSA had people playing WoW looking for terrorists rofl).

Suspicions noted: more than a few people think this is an idea worth spreading.
Activity: 532

You guys are the only ones who care about the short term prices, i can assure you Wink

The altcoin markets often make no sense, money moves from one coin to another and it doesnt matter currently, we have more important things todo.

And to get back on a more technical topic, heres a great post from andytoshi regarding cryptonote and the potential: https://crypto.stackexchange.com/questions/18091/is-there-any-true-anonymous-cryptocurrencies/18096#18096
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015

legendary

Jump to: