Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1782. (Read 4670606 times)

Activity: 494
Merit: 500
ok another newb question, I run bitmonroed app to get the blockchain updated, run the simplewallet, and mine. After the blockchain said it was updated, I came back a while later to see the block chain window was all red text, so I stopped it, but it started from 5 days back again. Any suggestions? Also do I have to keep both the walllet and the blockchain window running while im mining?

If you're mining with cpuminer on a pool, then no, you don't need to keep wallet and bitmonerod running (just remember to save both of them before exiting, or it might take quite a while to load when you open them again). Also, the wall of red text is OK, just some p2p messages, shouldn't affect anything.

Thank you sir..sorry for the newb questions...
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
ok another newb question, I run bitmonroed app to get the blockchain updated, run the simplewallet, and mine. After the blockchain said it was updated, I came back a while later to see the block chain window was all red text, so I stopped it, but it started from 5 days back again. Any suggestions? Also do I have to keep both the walllet and the blockchain window running while im mining?

If you're mining with cpuminer on a pool, then no, you don't need to keep wallet and bitmonerod running (just remember to save both of them before exiting, or it might take quite a while to load when you open them again). Also, the wall of red text is OK, just some p2p messages, shouldn't affect anything.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
Guys remember to keep voting for Monero on Mintpal every hour.

Just did, lets get it!

i vote  for Monero on Mintpal every day every hour
GO
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
But the sell order is for 0.0035  while the current price is 0.0018 and has been near that for a few days.  Yes it is a shit load of coins.

Meanwhile at Poloniex....

Announcements
Feature added: You can now specify a Payment ID when you withdraw XMR.

Posted by busoni@poloniex at 2014-06-19 21:47:59
When I am syncing the text is in yellow, and it says sync data returned unknown top block ....5days behind , I put the blockchain in the headed in a directory in the roaming section , does this sound ok, or do I have a problem
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000
thx guys , what is a decent hash rate?

Depends on the gear...100h/s+ for a cpu is good, for a gpu 200+.
thx guys , what is a decent hash rate?
Activity: 252
Merit: 250
Hello, Im a newb , but what is the best way to mine this coin at the moment?  I tried to used simple miner but I cant seem to connect to any pool with a stratum only http.

Any sugestions

Pick a pool near you, with a name you like, or whatever, and check the "Getting Started" page. There's a CPUminer for Win64/Linux and a GPUminer for newer AMD cards, you can even CPU and GPU mine on the same PC for extra hashes!
Activity: 560
Hello, Im a newb , but what is the best way to mine this coin at the moment?  I tried to used simple miner but I cant seem to connect to any pool with a stratum only http.

Any sugestions

Please use cpuminer. The pool websites should have instructions of where to download and what command to run. We're scrapping simpleminer from future releases because it's obsolete.

Any sugestions
Activity: 75
Merit: 10
Any threads to follow status of open source AMD miner? Anyone currently working on it? No rush  Tongue
Activity: 29
Merit: 0

Just did, lets get it!
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959
hey guys!

So how do you handle this?
Did you have any fails with withdrawls to poloniex or small amounts under 1XMR?

i have about 50 xmr on bittrex. i'm not to worried. never used poloniex sorry. i could send them elsewhere, but why bother? this currency is still very young yet super-promising, so i'm holding out for the long haul.

(Disclaimer - never invest more than you can lose, anywhere ,anyhow! - i can lose 50 xmr and not cry. but, can you? - thanks! Smiley

edit 2 - once a real wallet app is out for this, then i will move it off of bittrex. I don't even think i can withdraw to simplewallet anyhow actually, it's apparently not capable or some such bs.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I'd like to know when will these problem sorted out. BCN has just got a new update with proper DB replacing blockchain.bin. Once they release the source for this function can Monero use it as reference to speed up the work ?

As far as I can tell, they've got a closed-source implementation that allows for only part of the blockchain to be loaded into RAM at runtime. That is NOT the same as a "proper" embedded DB replacing the flat file.

Even so, whilst Monero may have initially been based on Bytecoin's reference implementation, we've already diverged from their reference code. We are well on the way to our own embedded database implementation, so it is unnecessary to implement whatever Bytecoin does. Specifically, we evaluating the performance of several databases for our workload, and will be producing an overview of the results in a few weeks that expounds on the process and on the reasons for choosing one embedded database over another.

I think it may be best that you also do something similar....

I know devs want to release things only when there perfect, but if you keep a community waiting, theyll eventually lose interest. Best to release a gui wallet soon even if its not to your 100% liking, you can always update/fix it later, that ensures no losses of interest.

There are gui wallets already which arent 100% done but work, why dont u use one of them?

And no it makes absoutely no sense to release a half-assed db implementation for us which, it costs more time in the end than writing something proper for long term use.

Not only that but we don't even need a database so urgently because our block chain is much smaller. Granted it is growing faster because people are actually using XMR -- and therefore creating transactions -- to a much greater degree. We'll be ready with a well-designed, well-implemented, and well-tested database implementation when it is needed.
Activity: 532
I'd like to know when will these problem sorted out. BCN has just got a new update with proper DB replacing blockchain.bin. Once they release the source for this function can Monero use it as reference to speed up the work ?

As far as I can tell, they've got a closed-source implementation that allows for only part of the blockchain to be loaded into RAM at runtime. That is NOT the same as a "proper" embedded DB replacing the flat file.

Even so, whilst Monero may have initially been based on Bytecoin's reference implementation, we've already diverged from their reference code. We are well on the way to our own embedded database implementation, so it is unnecessary to implement whatever Bytecoin does. Specifically, we evaluating the performance of several databases for our workload, and will be producing an overview of the results in a few weeks that expounds on the process and on the reasons for choosing one embedded database over another.

I know devs want to release things only when there perfect, but if you keep a community waiting, theyll eventually lose interest. Best to release a gui wallet soon even if its not to your 100% liking, you can always update/fix it later, that ensures no losses of interest.

There are gui wallets already which arent 100% done but work, why dont u use one of them?

And no it makes absoutely no sense to release a half-assed db implementation for us, it costs more time in the end than writing something proper for long term use.
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
Grin We will be listed at MP next Mondat Cheesy

Is this confirmed?
Mintpal chooses most voted every monday, so it happens if XMR keeps its #1 spot in the list.

Yeah but considering the extra coding that would go into adding a CN coin...?

Right, if it will be NO.1, MP won't hesitate to list it
Activity: 770

Activity: 55
Merit: 1
hey guys!

I want to keep my moneros on a save place i thought of a cold storage on an usb stick, after i heard from the theft from poloniex i
want to move them from that site, it's not secure enough for me.

So i've tryed to move 0.1 Moneros from poloniex to my wallet on my pc. Everything worked fine.
After that i wanted to send 0,1 moneros back to poloniex, i've send it from the wallet and i didn't get anything on poloniex,
it's 2 days ago that i've made this transaction. I read something on the support side that there are some issues with the small amount transactions,
so where are this 0,1 Monero know will i get them ever back and is it sure that larger transaction can't get lost??
Or is it because of an issue with poloniex?

I want to keep my moneros save but i wan't to have the abbility to trade them when i need it.

So how do you handle this?
Did you have any fails with withdrawls to poloniex or small amounts under 1XMR?
Jump to: