Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1896. (Read 4670606 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
You have eyes but can see Mt. Tai?!
How to run new version of Monero in Ubuntu 13.10? I don't get it.
I got some error about boost 1.55. WTF? My old version compiled from source worked great, btw.

libboost_system.so.1.55.0 : cannot open shared object file

nevermind, im compiling from source again. Those binaries sucks.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Remember guys the future battle isn't between some scam coin (XC, Dark) or even a real coin like Litecoin, but the battle will be between the great four (as I have came to call them).

Bitcoin.
Ethereum.
Nxt.
Monero.

I'm still on the lookout for anything else to add to this list.

I agree with you for the most part except that I'd consider LTC to be one of the biggest scam coins of them all. Just because it got big does not mean it wasn't a scam.

But since it isn't on your list (or mine), I guess it doesn't much matter any more.

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1015
Remember guys the future battle isn't between some scam coin (XC, Dark) or even a real coin like Litecoin, but the battle will be between the great four (as I have came to call them).

Bitcoin.
Ethereum.
Nxt.
Monero.

I'm still on the lookout for anything else to add to this list.
legendary
In its current stage it isnt even desired for MRO to be at exchanges.

What is the point of money if you can't spend it/exchange it? Nobody will want to use your currency if it has been horded by miners since day one. That will mean terrible distribution and miner top heavy control of the currency and nobody can trust it. Exchanges are the single best promotional tool that coins have. If they are not worth money, how can they be expected to be money?

None of these coins are "currency". The IRS has ruled they are virtual "commodities"... which is exactly what they are.
If CryptoNote anonymity does not become a standard, turns out to have issues... this all goes to zero eventually. Look
at the other 3 CryptoNote coins... death spiral to zero.

MRO ran up to 398 an hour ago. This is amazing.

LTC $11.00. MRO $2.70

LTC adds no value at all.

Yeah, that's what people always say...
But for some reason LTC has dramatically outperformed BTC durung the 18 month big run...
LTC (0.065 to $11.00, +17,000%)... BTC ($16.00 to $650, +4,000%).... Why?

Probably LTC adds much needed LIQUIDITY to an ecosystem...
That revolves almost entirely around mining equipment, hoarding wealth, trading, speculation...

I agree, LTC is important for the market.

However the percentage numbers are a bit misleading because its far easier for "cheaper" coin to double and triple in price then for something that is already worth a lot more - thats also the reason i see an enormous growth potential in MRO as its still pretty "cheap".

The bigger point is that MRO can do everything LTC does, and more.

The best reason I've seen for LTC to have any value is that people want alternatives, someplace else to go if BTC runs aground. MRO does that better  because LTC shares too much in common with BTC, a big monoculture problem that MRO does not share.

This ignores the added appeal of enhanced privacy. Even without those MRO has the potential to easily surpass LTC.

What is the point of money if you can't spend it/exchange it? Nobody will want to use your currency if it has been horded by miners since day one. That will mean terrible distribution and miner top heavy control of the currency and nobody can trust it. Exchanges are the single best promotional tool that coins have. If they are not worth money, how can they be expected to be money?

None of these coins are "currency". The IRS has ruled they are virtual "commodities"... which is exactly what they are.
If CryptoNote anonymity does not become a standard, turns out to have issues... this all goes to zero eventually. Look

LTC $11.00. MRO $2.70

But for some reason LTC has dramatically outperformed BTC durung the 18 month big run...

That revolves almost entirely around mining equipment, hoarding wealth, trading, speculation...

I agree, LTC is important for the market.

However the percentage numbers are a bit misleading because its far easier for "cheaper" coin to double and triple in price then for something that is already worth a lot more - thats also the reason i see an enormous growth potential in MRO as its still pretty "cheap".
You have eyes but can see Mt. Tai?!
Download link for Linux binaries doesn't work.  Cry
legendary

LTC $11.00. MRO $2.70

That word liquidity, does not mean what you think it means.
Activity: 794
Merit: 1000
Monero (XMR) - secure, private, untraceable

LTC $11.00. MRO $2.70

Or it was "lol, LTC is going to Huobi" thing.
legendary
Activity: 1588

LTC $11.00. MRO $2.70

Activity: 186
Merit: 100
Monero
I sent some Monero to my wallet yesterday before hearing about needing to update my wallet, the Monero still haven't arrived. Should I be worried? will updating my wallet fix this and have them show up?

According to IRC you'll have to wait for it to kick out of the mempool or be mined by miners on the old code, there's literally nothing you can do but wait.
I have the similar problem, sent few monero with new wallet to https://cryptonote.exchange.to/ , still haven't arrived, after over one hour, but yesterday with same wallet version everything went smooth. Maybe it is due to exchange? Luckily it is just a few monero, but hope it will show up  Grin

This exchange doesnt have automatic withdraws. He does it manually so i guess you will be fine after a few hours ...
they showed up  Cool

If anyone still hasn't received the Monero they tried to withdraw from Poloniex during the necessary wallet update, just go to support and explain your situation. Support was able to cancel my withdraw and allow me to re-withdraw my Monero. It was very quick to resolve once I messaged them.

On another note, I hope everyone is happy with the rising value  Tongue
legendary
Why Cryptsy and Mintpal didn't add MRO to coin voting?

Because they don't want to do the work to integrate a coin that isn't bitcoin clone.

They will come around, Its a matter of stability at this point. They dont want to jeopardize it if something bad were to happen.

Yes I agree, but exchanges are always going to make different tradeoffs, take different risks. That's why MRO is on polo now (and is usually their highest volume coin). In fact I would guess that Polo has gained quite a few new user accounts from people who specifically want to trade MRO

legendary

LTC $11.00. MRO $2.70

legendary

LTC $11.00. MRO $2.70
Activity: 560
Merit: 250
"Trading Platform of The Future!"
All IPs attepmting to mine with the HTTP protocol have and will be automatically blocked from MoneroPool.org. They were flooding the server and causing the connection between the pool software and daemon to break. In a few days the IPs will be unblocked to see if they are using stratum yet. Be sure to use only cpuminer with stratum+tcp://. Please contact [email protected] (or PM me) if you wish to have any specific IPs unblocked.

This should fix the periodic outages we were having.  Smiley
legendary

We are weeks away from a proper wallet, other tech issues, etc...

Personally, I'd rather the price drift down and accumulate on Polo...
As opposed to having an overpriced coin trading on MintPal.

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

I just don't understand what the fear is here. That people will pump and dump and it will be forgotten? If you actually believe in the fundamentals of this coin (which it clearly has to all of the people who understand the power of the technology) then pump and dumps are irrelevant. Fundamental advancements like wallet releases, etc. will make the coin grow in the long run regardless of what the market decides to do with the coin. By putting the coin on the biggest exchange such as Mintpal, you are creating trust in the coin over time and brand awareness. This is critical to the public's trust in the coin and it having a fair distribution through liquidity and market fluctuations. I think it's misguided to think that you can just hide in a corner for months and then burst on the scene. You would do a disservice to the technology because it will be atrophied and take much longer to gain acceptance and usage.

Finally, the biggest problem that I see with the plan (or lack thereof) of not putting this coin on more exchanges, is that in the 3-4 months time window you guys are shooting for with the wallet release is that you will potentially be competing with Zerocash. From what I understand I feel that ring signatures are more trustless than Zerocash because of the possible exploits of Zerocash (not being able to detect if someone secretly increases the total coins, requiring trust in the developers in the opening ceremony, newer untested cryptography). But still, do you really want to compete head to head when you could have had months head start to convince people that your technology is superior? If public opinion turns against your coin or it is forgotten, then what is the point of all the work you did?
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
I just recently launched a new mining pool at http://monero.farm/

Here are some of our features:
  • High end pool server hardware (quad core, 15GB ram)
  • Great uptime and stability
  • 0% fees!
  • 10% of fees is donated to Monero development
  • Fighting against moneropool.com's >51%
  • Located in the US

Hopefully moneropool.com will stop having >50%.

Of course it is, its the only way to spread the coin distribution right from the beginning.
legendary
Activity: 1232
Merit: 1011
Monero Evangelist
ImI
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019
Why Cryptsy and Mintpal didn't add MRO to coin voting?

afaik its a technical issue. to add a bitcoin/litecoin-clone is no big deal for them. but monero etc are different and require some extra work to do.
Jump to: