Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1964. (Read 4670562 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

Also, with the newest speed increase in the miner we might have finally hit a few days where we can actually try to put together that spreadsheet you were talking about yesterday.

Has anyone taken that on? I haven't used google spreadsheet but I'm sure I could figure it out, so let me know and I'll try to put some time into it.
legendary
Activity: 861
Merit: 1010
Hey guys, can someone explain me like I am five the differences between Bytecoin and Monero?
Activity: 966
Merit: 1003
So it is probably best to move on with that conversation somewhere else.

Agree. Better to concentrate on MRO, for instance, how does it plan to cope the increased usage if the ring signatures cause 8x the bloat bitcoin has?
I like the attention, it's best that they come here so that we can hash out our misunderstandings. Regardless of opinions, both groups favor anonymity and privacy ... best to get our stories straight now rather than when the world comes to our front door.

Its reasonable to bring up DRK topics here to a point, when it involves similarities and differences compared with MRO.

But the last few posts (pages?) have just been about DRK pro-and-con, where the masternodes are physically located, whether masternodes are a rip off, and other stuff that is really not related to MRO at all. So it is probably best to move on with that conversation somewhere else.

I totally agree. After all, it's a Monero thread!

More on topic I guess. I've been wondering about the tx_extra field.

Has anyone considered whether or not there should be some kind of "standard usage" protocol for that that we can supply?

Something to keep the exchanges and pools orgainzed, that might be suggested by us. I know some people tried to mine directly from the pool wallet to the exchange and that's a no-go right now.

Should we take on the responsibility of what goes on in that field right now, or should we let the pool software operators and exchanges figure it out? I'd lean toward us, but what do you think?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I like the attention, it's best that they come here so that we can hash out our misunderstandings. Regardless of opinions, both groups favor anonymity and privacy ... best to get our stories straight now rather than when the world comes to our front door.

Its reasonable to bring up DRK topics here to a point, when it involves similarities and differences compared with MRO.

But the last few posts (pages?) have just been about DRK pro-and-con, where the masternodes are physically located, whether masternodes are a rip off, and other stuff that is really not related to MRO at all. So it is probably best to move on with that conversation somewhere else.
Is there an ETA on the wallet and website? Are the developers still here? You need to update this guys, investors are heavily invested in your coin and we need to know whats going on.

Furthermore. Pm each other if you want to bitch about darkcoin. Read the thread title, its monero, not darkcoin bitch thread.. go spam irc about your pansy ass whinging.

I saw BitKoot post here today with another link to his wallet, but the news for it can best be gotten in that thread or IRC. It's a large amount of work that can't just be borrowed directly from the bitcoin protocol, so I hope we can learn to bear with them for a little bit longer. They got working pools up in about a week, so I'd like to think that a similar effort can be put toward the wallet.

The devs are here every day, and very active on IRC. Tacotime had some serious unfortunate business that needed to be taken care of this week. He'll be back on friday. But the pools are now working on a stratum implementation for us to use, which is much more efficient than the pools they've already put up.

Usually they keep us very updated, but I would imagine that with the amount of effort that they're putting into getting these things done sometimes the every few hours update gets missed.

Today I know noodledoodle and wolf worked on some miner optimizations and it's about 2x faster or so with computers with AES, so any newer processor gets a big boost. I think they put it in the OP, because i dled about an hour ago and everything was updated.

There's about 2 or 3 people working on a brand new website, I don't think it's going to use wordpress. It will also be a lot of work and will take a few days or week i would imagine.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
Um, 59.9% of the master nodes are held up by amazon .. I'm not sure where you're coming from here...

http://drk.poolhash.org/masternode.html

I know the distribution, however that is not an inherent property of DarkSend, more like a reflection of the fact that the guides provided for making masternodes were about amazon instances.

So you're saying that the guide would have been better off if had instead walked people through the steps on how to both purchase and set up their own servers instead of rely on the temporary solution? Do you think they're up for that?

We'll find out.

And even more still---being a masternode owner is now creating a class within Darkcoin: Those who can afford masternodes and those who cannot.

That would always be a "problem" given that the monetary base is finite and only has so much coins to run nodes.

Remember that Dark wasn't always in this price level. 1000 DRK was like 1.3 - 1.4 BTC start-mid April. And people knew about masternodes before that, as well as the plan to make it expensive down the road. It's just that some opted to sell and take profit at 0.002, 0.004, 0.007, 0.01 etc. If you take the profit, of course you will have BTCs and not DRKs to run the masternode. You can't have everything.

if i had a master node i would rent a amazon or digital ocean server too, by the way is this still a good buy at this point, will we see another Aurora madness?

No idea where the price will be. Whales playing around and smaller guys stand and watch. What I do know is that coin-number-adjusted (=for the same number of coins in circulation, so that comparisons can be meaningful), DRK is 7.3 times cheaper than LTC. And I don't see LTC being better than DRK in terms of fundamentals, especially given the fact that LTC's primary mission to prevent ASICs has failed.

Aurora price though was artificial because the marketcap was affected by a premine that was valued based on the few coins in circulation. DRK's marketcap valuation is not with non-circulating coins.
Activity: 19
Amazing coin! the price rise so high!
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
Is there an ETA on the wallet and website? Are the developers still here? You need to update this guys, investors are heavily invested in your coin and we need to know whats going on.

Furthermore. Pm each other if you want to bitch about darkcoin. Read the thread title, its monero, not darkcoin bitch thread.. go spam irc about your pansy ass whinging.
Activity: 434
Um, 59.9% of the master nodes are held up by amazon .. I'm not sure where you're coming from here...

I know the distribution, however that is not an inherent property of DarkSend, more like a reflection of the fact that the guides provided for making masternodes were about amazon instances.

So you're saying that the guide would have been better off if had instead walked people through the steps on how to both purchase and set up their own servers instead of rely on the temporary solution? Do you think they're up for that?
if i had a master node i would rent a amazon or digital ocean server too, by the way is this still a good buy at this point, will we see another Aurora madness?

Activity: 448
I hope Darksend Masternode investors did their homework on Ring Signature technology. When coins already exist (Monero) that are more anonymous than Darkcoin/Darksend without requiring centralized nodes only accessible to those rich enough to afford the arbitrary amount, it stands to topple your whole system.

Monero is like a decentralized Darkcoin if you think about it.

Good point

Except the fact that darskend nodes are not centralized. There is no "center" in the darkcoin network where there is some masternode that conducts the anonymous transactions and that you can only go through there. All darksend nodes / masternodes, are part of the network / p2p.

And even more still---being a masternode owner is now creating a class within Darkcoin: Those who can afford masternodes and those who cannot.

The whole appearance that masternode owning is desirable and it creates this positive reinforcement on the price of Darkcoin is eerily similar to the positive reinforcement belief that BlackPool was going to create constant upward buy pressure.

Darkcoin users have to trust that this Masternode implementation will not fail from being compromised, nefarious actions born from the power-gap of those with/without one, or the price bombshelling and masternode users aren't receiving profit as anticipated.

legendary
I hope Darksend Masternode investors did their homework on Ring Signature technology. When coins already exist (Monero) that are more anonymous than Darkcoin/Darksend without requiring centralized nodes only accessible to those rich enough to afford the arbitrary amount, it stands to topple your whole system.

Good point

Except the fact that darskend nodes are not centralized. There is no "center" in the darkcoin network where there is some masternode that conducts the anonymous transactions and that you can only go through there. All darksend nodes / masternodes, are part of the network / p2p.

Good point

legendary
Activity: 1151
Merit: 1001
Latest Linux binaries for miner are missing :S
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1003
Now with personal stats. Always latest code.

>>> Join Pool http://monero.hashinvest.ws <<<

Use efficient miner: https://github.com/LucasJones/cpuminer-multi

minerd -a cryptonight -o monero.hashinvest.ws:5555 -u YOUR_ADDRESS -p x

Compiled windows miner (latest AES optimisations): https://ottrbutt.com/cpuminer-multi/cpuminer-multi-1.0.2-LucasJones.zip

legendary

Good point

legendary
Activity: 1596
Merit: 1030
Sine secretum non libertas
promising income for buying 1000 of your premined drk is a clever pump tho, i must admit.  if the exchange value of the income is substantially less than the exch value of the stake was, well, you cant blame the seller for market fluctuations. 
Activity: 448

Activity: 742
Merit: 501

He someone manages to criticize the MRO distribution curve as "insanely fast" but ignores that BCN, which he is running around praising, is twice as fast as MRO (in addition to the two year premine head start). Honestly I don't think he's paying that much attention to the details, just sees some good ideas. The general view of anything not-bitcoin among the most of the bitcoin crowd is that they are all shitcoins. Most of the time they are right, so you can't entirely blame them.

Agreed.

We should have been far more critical of coins that came on top only because they implemented a diff PoW and tweaked distribution/some other minor math. For me there are two main branches and within both there are other sub branches under each.

Transparent Block Chain.
Anonymous Block Chain.

Jump to: