Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 1961. (Read 4670562 times)

Activity: 196
Merit: 10
I hope Darksend Masternode investors did their homework on Ring Signature technology. When coins already exist (Monero) that are more anonymous than Darkcoin/Darksend without requiring centralized nodes only accessible to those rich enough to afford the arbitrary amount, it stands to topple your whole system.

Monero is like a decentralized Darkcoin if you think about it.

Darksend/Masternodes are a brilliant Idea by Evan. They give incentive to host nodes to uphold the network And allow anonymous transactions...Basically, you get paid to help uphold the Darkcoin network and have anonymous transactions at the same time, unlike Bitcoin and such where you get nothing in return.

Evan has also perfected Masternodes to where they're as anonymous as Ring Signatures.
And he's not done.

He's going to implement Both Ring Signatures and I2P ontop Masternodes.

Monero and other Bytecoin clones don't stand a chance against Darkcoin practically...

No he will not, and if he does it will be a shitty, forced implementation whereas the natural enviorment for ring signatures is within Monero's code. Just deal with the fact being a Bitcoin fork presents 0.0 advantages for being anonymous.

No offense, but you sound really stupid. CryptoNote isn't that anonymous, as anonymint said. You can definitely implement Ring Signatures into a Bitcoin type coin and have it working pretty much the same it does on Bytecoin forks...

It doesn't matter the algorithim  lmao...So implementing Ring Signatures on Darksend would grant the same exact anonymity that it does to Bytecoin forks...Your arguement is invalid.

You dont get it.

With Ring Singatures the whole darksend and masternode stuff is OBSOLETE.

If you thing you can simply add all that stuff to the btc codebase, you are just wrong...yes it may be possible with a major rewrite but then you have a completly different coin...and it may not even be worth the manhours needed todo so.

You are referring to anonymints stuff that has already been answered a dozen time and he said himself that cryptonote based stuff is better then the darksend/masternode solution, so what?

By the way,the 32bit binaries are not working. I tried both 15/5 and 20/5 versions

Provide Details? Whats the error, whats your os?

I tried it on Windows XP 32bit.The error message is "bitmonerod.exe is not a valid Win32 application"
Simplewallet.exe and simpleminer.exe give the same error message too.

Its not compatible with Win XP 32 Bit - XP is dead and not even supported by Microsoft anymore Wink

You're not making any sense...Which is better?

Darkcoin: Masternodes that allow for anonymous transactions And incentive to uphold the netowrk

Bytecoin/Monero/Quazarcoin etc etc: Ring Signatures that cause extreme bloating, but offer anonymous transactions.

Now you see that Darkcoin's Masternodes are still better right? Now look at this

Darkcoin months from now will have:

1) Masternodes that allow for anonymous transactions And incentive to uphold the network
2) Ring Signatures with the major bloating/scaling issues gone
3) I2P

Monero months from now will have:
1) Ring Signatues with horrible bloating and scaling issues.

It's a no brainer..Darkcoin is 10x better than a fork of Bytecoin(i.e Monero, Quazarcoin, HoneyPenny etc)

Darkota... you have proven your point. but I know for a fact that all this will be obsolete in 2044.  Because then we will have a technology called master dark night crypto
 node rings. This will blow everything away and Evan will have died of an heart attack while trying to implement and and so we are all wasting our time. My suggestion for  Darkota is to wait for this technology and mine it on day one. You will be filthy rich. It will be mine able on anything that can perform any sort of computation. An ordinary abacus will get 233.65 kh/s. I have seen this. It's amazing

I am the developer of this new technology and an expert.
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com
You're not making any sense...Which is better?

Darkcoin: Masternodes that allow for anonymous transactions And incentive to uphold the netowrk

Bytecoin/Monero/Quazarcoin etc etc: Ring Signatures that cause extreme bloating, but offer anonymous transactions.

Now you see that Darkcoin's Masternodes are still better right? Now look at this

Darkcoin months from now will have:

1) Masternodes that allow for anonymous transactions And incentive to uphold the network
2) Ring Signatures with the major bloating/scaling issues gone
3) I2P

Monero months from now will have:
1) Ring Signatues with horrible bloating and scaling issues.

It's a no brainer..Darkcoin is 10x better than a fork of Bytecoin(i.e Monero, Quazarcoin, HoneyPenny etc)

So you're saying you're happy to take me up on that 5 BTC bet on BitBet.us? Let me know when it's setup, rather than just rehashing the same tired arguments over and over. Just put your money where your mouth is.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
Evan has also perfected Masternodes to where they're as anonymous as Ring Signatures.
And he's not done.

He's going to implement Ring Signatures

If this guy isn't VP of DRK marketing, he should be.

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
I hope Darksend Masternode investors did their homework on Ring Signature technology. When coins already exist (Monero) that are more anonymous than Darkcoin/Darksend without requiring centralized nodes only accessible to those rich enough to afford the arbitrary amount, it stands to topple your whole system.

Darksend/Masternodes are a brilliant Idea by Evan. They give incentive to host nodes to uphold the network And allow anonymous transactions...Basically, you get paid to help uphold the Darkcoin network and have anonymous transactions at the same time, unlike Bitcoin and such where you get nothing in return.

And he's not done.

Monero and other Bytecoin clones don't stand a chance against Darkcoin practically...

No he will not, and if he does it will be a shitty, forced implementation whereas the natural enviorment for ring signatures is within Monero's code. Just deal with the fact being a Bitcoin fork presents 0.0 advantages for being anonymous.

No offense, but you sound really stupid. CryptoNote isn't that anonymous, as anonymint said. You can definitely implement Ring Signatures into a Bitcoin type coin and have it working pretty much the same it does on Bytecoin forks...

It doesn't matter the algorithim  lmao...So implementing Ring Signatures on Darksend would grant the same exact anonymity that it does to Bytecoin forks...Your arguement is invalid.

You dont get it.

With Ring Singatures the whole darksend and masternode stuff is OBSOLETE.

If you thing you can simply add all that stuff to the btc codebase, you are just wrong...yes it may be possible with a major rewrite but then you have a completly different coin...and it may not even be worth the manhours needed todo so.

You are referring to anonymints stuff that has already been answered a dozen time and he said himself that cryptonote based stuff is better then the darksend/masternode solution, so what?

By the way,the 32bit binaries are not working. I tried both 15/5 and 20/5 versions

I tried it on Windows XP 32bit.The error message is "bitmonerod.exe is not a valid Win32 application"

Its not compatible with Win XP 32 Bit - XP is dead and not even supported by Microsoft anymore Wink
Activity: 389
Merit: 250
Something weird is happening, whenever I mine for a certain amount of time, all shares are getting refused. Anybody having this issue? I don't know if time is the factor or something else happening on the computer but it is very weird.

Are you using cpuminer-multi?  (minerd)

I have the same problem - whether I use the --no-longpoll flag or not, it still switches to "booooo" after some number of hashes, and then stays there.  It looks like a bug in the pool code, as the difficulty appears to drop back to the pool's openign value at the same time.

i.e. pool might start me off at difficulty 500.. it will then go up to a higher level incrementally with lots of "yay", and then suddenly minerd shows difficulty back at 500 and forevermore get boooo.

I'm back to using simpleminer again and just running multiple instances of it - one for each cpu thread.

Yes I'm using cpuminer-multi !
I figured I had more hash with it. For simpleminer if you don't run multiple instance then all threads are not hashing? might be why I had low Hashrate.
Activity: 770

And he's not done.

It doesn't matter the algorithim  lmao...So implementing Ring Signatures on Darksend would grant the same exact anonymity that it does to Bytecoin forks...Your arguement is invalid.
Activity: 81
<3 big picture
Something weird is happening, whenever I mine for a certain amount of time, all shares are getting refused. Anybody having this issue? I don't know if time is the factor or something else happening on the computer but it is very weird.

Are you using cpuminer-multi?  (minerd)

I have the same problem - whether I use the --no-longpoll flag or not, it still switches to "booooo" after some number of hashes, and then stays there.  It looks like a bug in the pool code, as the difficulty appears to drop back to the pool's openign value at the same time.

i.e. pool might start me off at difficulty 500.. it will then go up to a higher level incrementally with lots of "yay", and then suddenly minerd shows difficulty back at 500 and forevermore get boooo.

I'm back to using simpleminer again and just running multiple instances of it - one for each cpu thread.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
Pm each other if you want to bitch about darkcoin.

Good advice, I guess.  On the other hand, I'm happy to gather snippets of fundamental differences between MRO and it's main competitors within this thread, without having to wade through 1,000 posts on the drk thread for the same information.

But I'm lazy (as well as dumb.)

Activity: 389
Activity: 9
Merit: 0

Activity: 322

And he's not done.

Activity: 9

And he's not done.

No they are creating a 2 class environment - people who have the cash to run a node and the others who arent. Not to mention most of them are all hosted at amazon, do and ovh anyway: http://drk.poolhash.org/masternode.html - so much for decentralization.
So great, you get paid for providing anonymity whereas anonymity is free here and standart in all cryptonote based coins.

Masternodes can never be as anonymous as ringsingatures - its somehow a fail by design.

And why does he want to implement ring singatures than if your masternode are so perfect? (he already said hes not doing it btw).

You can easily run monero with i2p and tor support, for tor just tunnel it through tsocks on linux or proxifier on windows or run it into a VM like whonix, same applies to i2p...

Have fun bagholding your closed source darkcoins but stop annoying us here with your technical nonsense.

Activity: 770

And he's not done.

Activity: 12
HASHHARDER Monero Mining Pool

NEEDS MORE MINERS TO FIND FIRST BLOCK

Pool Address: mon.hashharder.com
Mining Ports
Port: 3333
Starting Difficulty: 50
Description: Low end CPUs
Port: 5555
Starting Difficulty: 200
Description: Mid range CPUs
Port: 7777
Starting Difficulty: 2000
Description: High end CPUs

mon.hashharder.com:3333 --login=address --pass=x

Activity: 378
Merit: 254
small fry
Hey, would anyone mind connecting some miners to http://minemonero.com?

Thanks guys!!

You can also reach it at http://moneromine.com
Activity: 196
Lets hear it again:

Thus on balance I prefer CN, but I like to see it altered to use a quantum computer resistant algorithm. And then we need to add IP address obfuscation as well that is superior to Tor and I2P.

CN must take the steps necessary to upgrade itself and so must DRK. Having no serious anonymity without IP obfuscation or being able to be broken through a Quantum Computer is not funny. Scaleability issues must also be solved, both in blockchain size and cpu power required to verify stuff.

The question is: Can MRO do these things?

here is crypto-zoigberg response to annonymints concerns: maybe somone with knowledge can compare and discuss

there is a user saying that there is no true anonimity until there is a way of obfuscating the IP address. Until that is done, the anonimity provided by cryptonote is not assured. can you please comment on this.

following are his thoughts (anonymint):

CryptoNote's one-time ring signature as a way of obfuscating who is the payer (the spender), is optional and can only be used when there are other payees who have matching input amounts. In other words, it can't do any obfuscation for you on spending unless there are other coins that have the same balance as yours.
That's why coinbase and wallet by default split outs into standart amounts, and when you need to send money to someone  anonymously you almost always have some outs for mixin, you can learn this in Bytecoin blockchain, just check blockchain index.

That very infrequent opportunity for use is coupled with constant use of elliptical curve cryptography which is known to be broken under quantum computing, as well is suspect to broken by the NSA[1] or could be broken since it is number theoretic public key cryptography.
Quantum computer is like Schrödinger's cat - it is both real and unreal.  Grin  
The worst that can happend in case that quantum computer will become a real is hard fork.

And the use of one-time ring signatures mucks up the pruning of the block chain of spent addresses. There is a tweak to improve this over the current CryptoNote (one of the tweaks I alluded to upthread).
For this reason in Boolberry we chaged tx identification from whole blob hash to tx_prefix hash, and when blockchain entry will be covered by checkpoin the ring signatures could be cutoff.

Bottom line is most of your anonymity will come from obfuscating your IP address with something more reliable than Tor and I2P, not from the block chain mixing of CryptoNote or Zerocash/coin, i.e. if your IP is correlated to your identity, then the one-time ring signature doesn't obscure your identity when you spend.
I disagree with you here.
Crypto-currency, particularly Boolberry/CryptoNote, is a set of rules which is obligatory for all. First of all it is a currency_core that doesn't even know about network protocols or ip addresses.
It's just guarantees compliance with currency rules.
You (or anonymint) actually talks here about the way of delivering transactions to crypto currency net. But even if we don't provide a way to anonymize your ip now, just act via third party anonymizer if you prefer.

The case where the one-time ring signature is really useful is a transaction with multiple inputs wherein the spender is merging his coins, thus enabling tracing of those coins to the same entity (the current spender). And it is very unfortunate the one-time ring signature is optional in this case, because it is the identity of the upchain spenders who suffer from this action by the current spender, thus the motivation is not there.
If i understand you right, we solved this problem by adding attribute to each out, that can force spender to use this out only with ring singature.

So we can see as it is currently structured, CryptoNote doesn't really support anonymity much.
Sorry to blow holes in your enthusiasm. Reality sucks if you haven't taken the time to do some serious work before launching.
Note that the use of a separate payee address for each transaction is a very useful strategy. This is a positive aspect of CryptoNote that adds anonymity, but again it is not so effective without reliable IP obfuscation, as the payee will reveal himself on spending.

Thanks for this post, you didn't blew holes in our enthusiasm. We still belive that this is most interesting technology in crypto-currencies field.

Activity: 546
Dreamcoin fans talking about implementing ring signatures... Is it doable? I mean cryptonote source seems totally different.
Activity: 154
Merit: 100
>>> Join Pool http://monero.hashinvest.ws! <<<

Use efficient miner: https://github.com/LucasJones/cpuminer-multi

minerd -a cryptonight -o monero.hashinvest.ws:5555 -u YOUR_ADDRESS -p x

Compiled windows miner: https://github.com/LucasJones/cpuminer-multi/releases/download/v1.0.1/cpuminer-multi.zip

Great work. We need more hash power!!!
Jump to: