Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 2095. (Read 4667452 times)

Activity: 56
Merit: 0
So what can we do to grow the community? We've had a few nice weeks where the difficulty has risen quite nicely, but I'm not really feeling much on the support end. There's little to no talk and the logo thread seems to have died. Despite the growing difficulty -- I fear we're losing interest. I think we're suffering from a lack of a consolidated vision.

It's going to be harder/more time consuming right off the bat to build support for us because there's not one person we can rally around, and Monero is based off a protocol that's not well understood on this board. This is very apparently a decentralized effort where many people donate their little bit of time available to help out, but we're lacking in having one person who is available full time to this.

I don't consider that a complete weakness, as it's been invaluable to the present life of the coin so far .. but I still can't shake the feeling like we're just sitting around and waiting for people to pop in. Like there's no hooks other than a seriously impressive protocol. I hope I'm not alone when I feel like that's not enough.

This isn't much better than the alternative that this was forked from in that regard (Though we still don't have the ninja-mine).

There's a few hundred other options calling people to one coin or another -- what can we do that brings them here, with the significant hurdles present today?

Most people see CPU only, and are immediately dismissive because of the reasonable assumption that there's a hidden GPU miner -- or optimized CPU miner. How can anyone seeing this for the first time not feel like it's going to go the same route as Quark in a week or two?

Others see the anonymous aspect and are immediately turned off because of concerns regarding illegality, and fear of persecution. The fear of not knowing whether or not it's okay to have unlinkable transactions in the blockchain. How can we make the point that privacy is an integral part of inviting real business money into cryptocurrency (Where your competitors can't see who you do business with, or the contents of your wallet)?

Then there's the lack of usability -- where everything is still using command lines and there's no GUI (not a problem for me, but there's a distinct terror in using the command line that comes up constantly in the community). I understand this is being worked on which is fantastic -- but until that time how can we convince people that it's as simple as "download this file and double-click this batch file".

Following this, there are no pools. With the majority of people on this board being so used to having an immediate reward (however small it is), it's tough to catch one's interest. How can we keep people interested if they aren't getting the same instant mining gratification they get in any of the other coins? The manual faucet is a nice idea, but is there anyone working on an automated one?

Even further, ubuntu gets double the hashrate of windows binaries . . something else that turns away the majority of end users. I understand that there are now binaries available that give a boost, but even only 60% will make any newcomer feel at a loss. I can't really see a way to convince people this is okay, and telling most of the to use ubuntu instead is unacceptable -- they'll just move on to something else.

The problem with the assertions above is that these people being pushed away are the exact people we need to be bringing into this coin. Even tougher is that once these opinions are formed, it's very hard to break from that mindset. It's been two weeks, and by now probably 90% of the board is aware that Monero exists . . and I'm worried that by the time the above problems are solved people will have just moved on, because an answer to each represents a significant amount of programming work or understanding.

With most of the people who have the skill to do this tied up in their own coin/different coin, and the other part being either too inexperienced or unmotivated to contribute -- what chance does this stand to pick up?
Activity: 111
Merit: 10
New windows build solved my problems, thanks!
Activity: 37
yeah

Same result. it also cant find the blockchain.bin
Can you post a screenshot of what it showed after you tried this?
Code:
bitmonerod --p2p-bind-port 18080

http://s27.postimg.org/p5qc660pf/image.png

http://s7.postimg.org/y2l2p8ppn/DD1.png

Are you on an azure server? I had this problem as well where no IGD was found and so it continues trying to connect to peers at port 8080.

Does anyone have a fix for this?

What Windows Server OS is used?  Also if using Azure VPS you have Linux available.  Linux would be better.

2008 not azure and ill try linux later.

Even though it was run with
Code:
It is still connecting to peers on port 8080...  Huh

This is reported to be a fresh windows build from the source code without the updates, see if it works OK for you
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vagaloitly6ufhl/bitmonerod.x64.latest.zip

It works. Smiley

Still no IGD on either my VPS or PC

It works on mine just fine without IGD.
Activity: 616
Merit: 251
yeah

Code:

Are you on an azure server? I had this problem as well where no IGD was found and so it continues trying to connect to peers at port 8080.

What Windows Server OS is used?  Also if using Azure VPS you have Linux available.  Linux would be better.

2008 not azure and ill try linux later.

Code:

This is reported to be a fresh windows build from the source code without the updates, see if it works OK for you

It works. Smiley

Still no IGD on either my VPS or PC
Activity: 168
Merit: 100

Code:

It works. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1610
Merit: 1000
Crackpot Idealist
Code:

Make sure whatever you're compiling from has this in /src/cryptonote_config.h
Code:
#define P2P_DEFAULT_PORT                                18080
#define RPC_DEFAULT_PORT                                18081

To even windows users I would suggest they download VirtualBox and install Ubuntu 13.10 in a virtual machine inside windows, then compile as indicated on the front page.

I tried VirtualBox with Ubuntu 13.10 Desktop and the performance was much worse than Windows. The Ubuntu GUI was having performance problems with the VirtualBox OpenGL implementation and the virtual machine was really slow. I am back to mining in Windows now.

I'll try Ubuntu Server in VirtualBox when I get a chance later.

I would have to assume that running text only os would help a lot with that... Ubuntu is slowly turning into a microsoft style resource hog
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

Code:

legendary
Is it even possible to mine block with only 2h/s?

Every 4 days-ish
Code:
!bmrhash 2
The average blocks per day at 2.0 H/s, given difficulty of 725515, is 0.238193697792
Activity: 602
Merit: 500
Is it even possible to mine block with only 2h/s?
legendary
I tried VirtualBox with Ubuntu 13.10 Desktop and the performance was much worse than Windows. The Ubuntu GUI was having performance problems with the VirtualBox OpenGL implementation and the virtual machine was really slow. I am back to mining in Windows now.

Yeah, unfortunately mining may take a hit.  Ideally though you don't want to run a daemon/wallet to keep your coins on anything that you haven't compiled yourself, though.

I think Noodle compiled the latest optimized windows binaries with merges from the bytecoin fork that are experimental, I'll have to check with him and make sure nothing weird was included like the bytecoin core config settings.
Code:

Code:

To even windows users I would suggest they download VirtualBox and install Ubuntu 13.10 in a virtual machine inside windows, then compile as indicated on the front page.

legendary
Code:

Code:

Activity: 560
Merit: 250
"Trading Platform of The Future!"

Code:
yeah

Code:

http://s27.postimg.org/p5qc660pf/image.png

http://s7.postimg.org/y2l2p8ppn/DD1.png

I'm getting the same problem on both my laptop and Windows Azure VM.

"Failed to HANDSHAKE"
Allowed through Firewall.

Why is it trying to connect to port 8080? That is the port that bytecoin uses. Monero uses port 18080.

Could you run bitmonerod without the "--p2p-bind-port 8080" parameter?
Activity: 54
I like cpu coins. Wink
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
I've updated http://monero.cc/mining, mostly thanks to superresistant's instructions. Worth take a look!
Activity: 910
Proof-of-Stake Blockchain Network
yeah

Code:

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
yeah

Code:

Activity: 910
Proof-of-Stake Blockchain Network
2014-May-02 07:01:54.087047 [P2P4]BH: 21197, DIFF: 738995, HR: 12316 H/s
Activity: 658
Merit: 503
Monero Core Team
Unable to log in #monero chat. Anyone got this issue?
I am on it at the moment, so no, no issue Smiley
Jump to: