Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 2108. (Read 4667185 times)

Activity: 133
Merit: 100
Am I correct in assuming that

Code:
start_mining 

Starts mining to the address of the wallet its executed from?
Activity: 560
Merit: 500

I like what you did.

One comment:

To be fair there is an advantage to DarkCoin not using any new crypto, and I would mention that to maintain a bit of balance. Ring signatures are not new, but they haven't been used in exactly this way before, and the implementation is also immature, so there are risks here.

Thanks, I was thinking the second and third paragraphs could be a bit contradictory because I wasn't sure about the status of ring signatures. I'll modify it to be more fair.

edit: I'm also not sure what the status/capabilities of Dark Wallet is so could someone comment on that?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I added a section to the OP that places MRO within the anonymous crypto landscape. The intention is not to badmouth other coins, but to be explanatory so that newcomers can understand what exactly they're getting here.

- How does this compare to other anonymous coins?

There are two other anonymity implementations currently available or in development. One is DarkCoin's decentralized mixing and the other is ZeroCoin/ZeroCash's use of zero-knowledge proofs.

MRO is qualitatively similar to DarkCoin in that it uses mixing to obscure identities, but the implementation is done elegantly through the use of ring signatures. DarkCoin is a Bitcoin descendent and uses no new cryptography, leading to a comparatively convoluted implementation using selected nodes to perform the mixing. This approach relies on the health and good behavior of the nodes, which MRO's more fundamental approach is not vulnerable to.

ZeroCoin/ZeroCash uses zero-knowledge proofs, which you can read about here. This is research-level cryptography that hasn't been subjected to years of cryptanalysis and attacks, so exploits may emerge down the road. The RSA private key used to initiate the accumulator must be trusted to be destroyed by the generating party. It also obscures the entire economy, not just sender/receiver identities, which can lead to problems if there are bugs that lead to inflation or manipulation because the damage is hidden to everybody.

I like what you did.

One comment:

To be fair there is an advantage to DarkCoin not using any new crypto, and I would mention that to maintain a bit of balance. Ring signatures are not new, but they haven't been used in exactly this way before, and the implementation is also immature, so there are risks here.

Also I would further deemphasize the Bytecoin. More and more users are coming to this coin who have no idea what Bytecoin is, which was different at the very start when we all came over from Bytecoin. It is now and will increasingly be more helpful to focus on what this coin is, what it does, how it works, and how it differs from other similar coins/projects (including DarkCoin, ZeroCoin and Bytecoin)
I added a section to the OP that places MRO within the anonymous crypto landscape. The intention is not to badmouth other coins, but to be explanatory so that newcomers can understand what exactly they're getting here.

- How does this compare to other anonymous coins?

There are two other anonymity implementations currently available or in development. One is DarkCoin's decentralized mixing and the other is ZeroCoin/ZeroCash's use of zero-knowledge proofs.

MRO is qualitatively similar to DarkCoin in that it uses mixing to obscure identities, but the implementation is done elegantly through the use of ring signatures. DarkCoin is a Bitcoin descendent and uses no new cryptography, leading to a comparatively convoluted implementation using selected nodes to perform the mixing. This approach relies on the health and good behavior of the nodes, which MRO's more fundamental approach is not vulnerable to.

ZeroCoin/ZeroCash uses zero-knowledge proofs, which you can read about here. This is research-level cryptography that hasn't been subjected to years of cryptanalysis and attacks, so exploits may emerge down the road. The RSA private key used to initiate the accumulator must be trusted to be destroyed by the generating party. It also obscures the entire economy, not just sender/receiver identities, which can lead to problems if there are bugs that lead to inflation or manipulation because the damage is hidden to everybody.
legendary
Is someone mining with a i7 4770k?
how many blocks per day?
thank you.

None  Cry Feel like stopping soon
How many hashes per second are you getting?

hr_show moves between ~8.5-9.

is OC-ed to 4.2Ghz.
You should average around 2 blocks per day. Keep mining  Smiley

I'm honestly not sure how it's happened but I have 37+change in my wallet now, lots of small transactions  Tongue

The small transactions are normal.

Send amounts are broken up by digit so if you send 117,23, it sends 100, 10, 7, 0.2, and 0.03. By standardizing the amounts it ensures there are always many outputs of the same amount available that can be used for ring signatures (mixing). Otherwise it would have to find another output of exactly 117.23 to mix, which would be unlikely.

A user friendly wallet should probably hide all of this and only show it in advanced mode or by bringing up transaction details, but the current wallet shows all of the detail.

Activity: 182
Is someone mining with a i7 4770k?
how many blocks per day?
thank you.

None  Cry Feel like stopping soon
How many hashes per second are you getting?

hr_show moves between ~8.5-9.

is OC-ed to 4.2Ghz.
You should average around 2 blocks per day. Keep mining  Smiley

I'm honestly not sure how it's happened but I have 37+change in my wallet now, lots of small transactions  Tongue
legendary

and blocksize is ~15 at the moment?

Do you mean the block reward? It's 17.33 currently. This is a change from 17.59 when the blockchain started.

Sometimes you get a smaller reward if there are a lot of transactions being processed. This is done to discourage miners from stuffing blocks full of dust transactions. If it happens consistently the maximum block size will increase and then the rewards will go back up.

Do you mean the block reward? It's 17.33 currently. This is a change from 17.59 when the blockchain started.
ImI
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005

what to expect from a I7-quad mining?

Couple of blocks a day on linux

For people looking to sync their linux machines, I have uploaded a recent blockchain.bin here: DOWNLOAD
Activity: 221
Is it possible to do cloud mining? I tried on Digital Ocean but it says that the CPU doesn't accept x64 instructions or something like that when I try to build..

You need a 64 bit node. CryptoNote only works on 64 bit.

I set up the node with Ubuntu 13.10 64-bit. Doesn't that mean I have a 64-bit CPU running?
legendary
Is it possible to do cloud mining? I tried on Digital Ocean but it says that the CPU doesn't accept x64 instructions or something like that when I try to build..

You need a 64 bit node. CryptoNote only works on 64 bit.

Activity: 221
ImI
legendary
Activity: 1946
Merit: 1019

what to expect from a I7-quad mining?

legendary
Huge buy walls are forming on the exchange...  Things are looking healthy. Smiley

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/closed-mro-monero-trading-thread-and-otc-xchg-578192

22,500 total buy orders at 0.0002 which is rather large considering the total amount of MRO in circulation
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
Huge buy walls are forming on the exchange...  Things are looking healthy. Smiley

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/closed-mro-monero-trading-thread-and-otc-xchg-578192
Activity: 37
Merit: 0
Do i have to backup the wallet.bin file?

Ideally, the keys can be used to recover everything in theory but we haven't figured out exactly how to yet.

My wallet was corrupted today. I was able to figure out how to restore it.

1. Backup wallet.bin, wallet.bin.address.txt and wallet.bin.keys to another folder.
2. Delete wallet.bin
3. Run simplewallet.exe:
simplewallet.exe --wallet-file=wallet.bin

This recreated my wallet.bin file correctly.

Hope this helps!

MRO: 47Y4vR6M5e5U3rHxtZJPmxTLnP5yX394V4gRoB1aLSKy2ZjbMWzS6gSKdsDshZXAJUaNAJezNe3zpMc mpLbkebTx89CWJMR

When I did that (I think it was BCN but it should be the same) it seemed to work but I found a later problem with trying to spend outputs that were already spent. I am routinely backing up all three files now.

Interesting. If you are using windows 7, you can also restore a previous version of the wallet.bin file.

Right-click on wallet.bin and choose "Restore previous versions" from the popup menu. I had to go back a version from 4/20/2014 for it to work again.
legendary
Activity: 1428
Merit: 1001
getmonero.org
I am mining with a few computers directly to a single wallet. But i am getting this error a lot:

2014-Apr-28 23:03:22.718380 [P2P9][my miners ip:port INC]COMMAND_TIMED_SYNC invoke failed. (-3, LEVIN_ERROR_CONNECTION_DESTROYED)

I wonder if does it work eventually or not. Cause lately i get 250% less blocks per day at least...
Activity: 910
Merit: 250
Proof-of-Stake Blockchain Network
In linux it's in bitmonero/build/release/src/. Don't know about Windows..

In Windows it's created in the folder you have simplewallet at.
legendary
Do i have to backup the wallet.bin file?

Ideally, the keys can be used to recover everything in theory but we haven't figured out exactly how to yet.

My wallet was corrupted today. I was able to figure out how to restore it.

1. Backup wallet.bin, wallet.bin.address.txt and wallet.bin.keys to another folder.
2. Delete wallet.bin
3. Run simplewallet.exe:
simplewallet.exe --wallet-file=wallet.bin

This recreated my wallet.bin file correctly.

Hope this helps!

MRO: 47Y4vR6M5e5U3rHxtZJPmxTLnP5yX394V4gRoB1aLSKy2ZjbMWzS6gSKdsDshZXAJUaNAJezNe3zpMc mpLbkebTx89CWJMR

When I did that (I think it was BCN but it should be the same) it seemed to work but I found a later problem with trying to spend outputs that were already spent. I am routinely backing up all three files now.

Jump to: