Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 2120. (Read 4667001 times)

Activity: 910
Merit: 250
Proof-of-Stake Blockchain Network
ninja launch with new algo

meh...

Coin was launched with an Ann.  Anyone had opportunity.  Maybe somewhat ninja but still fair launch consider other coin launches.

I understand your meaning but launch was a fair as any coin.

Not just new algo, different protocol.  CryptoNote protocol.  Comparison to Apple/Microsoft =  Bitcoin protocol/CryptoNotes protocol.

https://cryptonote.org/  

• Untraceable Payments
  • Unlinkable transactions
  • Double-spending proof
  • Blockchain analysis resistance
  • Egalitarian proof of work
  • Adaptive parameters

CryptoNotes protocol provides a much more anonymous cryptocurrency than the BitCoin protocol.  

Most coins are just clones of BitCoin or it's derivatives.  Monero is moving forward towards more anonymity using the CryptoNotes protocol and is differentiating itself from the plethora of new coins by using the CryptoNotes protocol.  Will it be successful?  We will have to wait and see.  One thing is certain.  Monero is breaking new ground by bringing a new coin using a different protocol to the cryptocurrency world.  Only time will tell how successful Monero will be but everyone benefits from choices.  Bringing a new coin using a different protocol than the BitCoin protocol is a good thing for the cryptocommunity.  It's not just another coin with another color for it's name.  It's a new coin based on a different protocol entirely.
Activity: 560
Merit: 500

meh...

If by ninja-launch you mean pre-announced, sure. https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/annbmr-bitmonero-a-new-coin-based-on-cryptonote-technology-launched-563821

I don't know what to tell you smooth.  Yes, the situation is not ideal, but tonight we're at 315k on the network.

The miners are speaking.

Bytecoin is at 1.7 million now. The miners are speaking but what are they saying exactly?

Hard to say. Both are at all time highs, which can only be good for CN.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
later integrate GHOST if problems surrounding centralization arise.  It's not the end of the world.

GHOST does not address centralization, in fact it may make centralization worse. That said, having essentially instant transactions is at least a really important and relevant differentiator that might be worth a try, if we have the talent and resources on this team to implement it.

If not, then a new coin with instant transactions and privacy (and a good launch...) could be a real winner.

legendary
Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

meh...
legendary
Activity: 1484
Merit: 1005
I''m running at 3.1H/s and found 2 blocks within 12 hours. Am i lucky or this is normal at current difficulty ?

Lucky. Smiley
Activity: 300
I''m running at 3.1H/s and found 2 blocks within 12 hours. Am i lucky or this is normal at current difficulty ?
legendary
I say we wait and see what happens over the next week or two. I'm pretty sure you are right about shitcoin central, no matter what we do here.

legendary
I don't know what to tell you smooth.  Yes, the situation is not ideal, but tonight we're at 315k on the network.

The miners are speaking.

Bytecoin is at 1.7 million now. The miners are speaking but what are they saying exactly?

Bytecoin has a dedicated pool -- it's likely Monero will have one within two weeks.
legendary
I don't know what to tell you smooth.  Yes, the situation is not ideal, but tonight we're at 315k on the network.

The miners are speaking.

legendary
Quote from: tacotime
One minute blocks that are of size ~1 KB (most of the blocks right now) double the likelihood of a miner getting a block. Selfish mining only becomes a severe issue when blocksize becomes large.

You're the one who is concerned about the reward being too small in 10-20 years??!!

Obviously the goal is to create a design that is sound for the long term, not focus on a couple of weeks of easy mining when there are hardly any transactions on the network. As was pointed out before, solo mining for small (one computer) miners will sooner or later (most likely sooner) become non-viable whether blocks are one minute or two minute blocks. Maybe not in the first week, but if the coin thrives, it won't be long at all. This was a very short-sighted reason to speed up the blocks.

I'm not referring to selfish mining in any case, just regular (random) orphans. If it takes 3 seconds to propagate a block across the network, then with 60 second blocks you will have about 5% random orphans (where two different people solve a block at the same time; only one will survive). This gets much worse when the blocks get bigger (take longer to verify and forward at each hop). If it takes 10 seconds to propagate you are looking at 16% orphans.

Pools reduce orphans by concentrating hash rate and directly communicating with the hashers in a star pattern instead of a p2p. You won't be solving a block at the same time as one of your pool-mates very often (due to longpoll/stratum) and the pool will solve on top of its own blocks more quickly than any foreign blocks, so it will win more races. These effects combine to give pools a huge economy of scale.

Even with those 1k blocks you describe, there are already plenty of orphans, just look at the daemon output. Bytecoin with 2 minute blocks still has a lot of orphans too.

Satoshi was no idiot when he picked 10 minutes, and didn't just pull that number out of his ass. That may be slight overkill but 1 minute is going way too far in the other direction.

I don't know what to tell you smooth.  Yes, the situation is not ideal, but tonight we're at 315k on the network.

The miners are speaking.  There will be no merged mining of this chain.  We can deal with the adjusting subsidy at a later time via hardfork if necessary.  For now, the distribution is properly specified and everyone can make their choice appropriately.  One minute blocks yield high orphan rates, but we can later integrate GHOST if problems surrounding centralization arise.  It's not the end of the world.

I'm sorry you've lost faith in the coin, but I was around for Litecoin and while there were many things I would have done different with that fork, once established it's difficult to sway the majority.  I suspect this will be the case for other CN forks, and it'll just end up an eventual shitcoin frenzy with Monero (and ByteCoin) at the top.
That is poor output for the 4930K, I am guessing because you are on windows and not using all threads. I have 3930K on Linux and get 18.5 H/s. With the 4930K you should be getting 19.3 H/s

Yeah, I am on Windows 8.1 and using 12 threads :S

Mother of linux T_T

Yeah, Linux is quite a bit faster. But it's easy to mine using it if you follow the instructions in the beginning of the thread Smiley

This is my personal rig which I game on a lot, not worth the hassle in my case to dual boot for the extra hash.

Really like this coin, good job and cheers!

Yes coin is good.  Based on CryptoNote protocol.  Different from bitcoin and all bitcoin clones.  Too many bitcoin clones so this is good direction for coin diversity like Microsoft / Apple is good comparison.
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
That is poor output for the 4930K, I am guessing because you are on windows and not using all threads. I have 3930K on Linux and get 18.5 H/s. With the 4930K you should be getting 19.3 H/s

Mother of linux T_T

Yeah, Linux is quite a bit faster. But it's easy to mine using it if you follow the instructions in the beginning of the thread Smiley

This is my personal rig which I game on a lot, not worth the hassle in my case to dual boot for the extra hash.

Really like this coin, good job and cheers!
legendary
"Error: wallet failed to connect to daemon (http://localhost:18081). Daemon either is not started or passed wrong port.
Please, make sure that daemon is running or restart the wallet with correct daemon address."

Still get this error.

The daemon is running,  synced with the network, and is according to its own log listening on its default port (log:  "Core rpc server initialized OK on port: 18081").

There's no local firewall, and I also started the daemon and wallet with a different port number just to make sure no one else uses this port.

A telnet to localhost on port 18081 works, so someone is listening.

The Windows build seems kinda buggy...

Once it is synced, type "save" in the daemon window, then try the wallet.
"Error: wallet failed to connect to daemon (http://localhost:18081). Daemon either is not started or passed wrong port.
Please, make sure that daemon is running or restart the wallet with correct daemon address."

Still get this error.

The daemon is running,  synced with the network, and is according to its own log listening on its default port (log:  "Core rpc server initialized OK on port: 18081").

There's no local firewall, and I also started the daemon and wallet with a different port number just to make sure no one else uses this port.

Do not start daemon/wallet on different port.

Reboot computer.  Start bitmonerod from command line.  Let sync. "important to let finish syncing"  start wallet from command line and type start_mining from within wallet.

I know it more complicated than other coin for now.  Devs are working on GUI to make simple and easy from Windows.  It's new coin working out issues like any other.  It is different from other coins.  Issues will be resolved in short time.  Give try and inform on status.  Happy mining Smiley  

Edit:

After bitmonerod sync, type "save" in window to write blockchain to hard drive.  When closing bitmonerod type exit in window to write latest block information to hard drive.  Does not write autmatically.  It is important to wait until bitmonerod sync before start mining.  You will see message like:

You are now synchronized with the network. You may now start simplewallet.

Please note, that the blockchain will be saved only after you quit the daemon wi
th "exit" command or if you use "save" command.
Otherwise, you will possibly need to synchronize the blockchain again.

Then ready to mine.  Let know if this fixes issue.  

Activity: 560
"Trading Platform of The Future!"
Code:
$ tsocks ssh -N -f -D 18080 user@myIP

$ ./bitmonerod

2014-Apr-25 14:51:39.170760 Initializing p2p server...
2014-Apr-25 14:51:39.170951 Binding on 0.0.0.0:18080
... what=bind: Address already in use

How can I reverse tunnel with Monero?

You need to bind it for the daemon separately, see the arguments you can give it from --help
Sorry, can you explain more?
Activity: 212
Merit: 100
Activity: -42

Still get this error.

The daemon is running,  synced with the network, and is according to its own log listening on its default port (log:  "Core rpc server initialized OK on port: 18081").

legendary

Mother of linux T_T

Activity: 42
Activity: 13

Mother of linux T_T
Activity: 742
Merit: 501
Jump to: