Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 596. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Can anyone comment on the privacy solution offered by BTCD? They have termed it Teleport and Telepathy.
Teleport seems to have components of XMR's solution to privacy:
"In a mantissa attack you are identified because of the exact size of your transaction.
That makes your transaction distinctive among others and it is easy to spot you on the blockchain.
To remove this threat the telepods use standard denominations, i.e.100, 50,10, 5,1 and so on."
I've seen comparisons of XMR with other anon-centric coins but not with BTCD.

Unless it has been reworked from the dark paper last year, it is worthless and doesn't solve any of the problems that blockchains exist to solve.

You send your telepod to the recipient. The recipient can either submit it on the blockchain, it which case it ends up looking exactly the same as if you spent it yourself. Or they can pass the telepod on to another recipient, which in theory delinks you from the first recipient (though you are now linked with the second, which for all you know might even be worse, and vice versa). What is to keep first recipient from passing the output on to two parties (effectively a double spend) or to keep you from double spending the output while it is being passed around? Nothing.

So:

1. Ignores the need for double spend protection
2. Transactions are still strongly linked to some actual recipient on the blockchain (even more so than coinjoin), by at best a small number of hops, maybe none.

Other stuff in BTCD like the asset exchange might be worth something -- I haven't evaluated it -- but the privacy stuff is just nonsense.

If there is something new going on, I'd need to see a new paper, though frankly I'm not sure I would put in the effort to read it. Getting through the dark paper was excruciating.

legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
Off topic question:

Does anyone know of a decentralized system to rent cpu cycles that are capable of running a current OS? IOW I would like to run a service off of a decentralized system that will never need to be maintained as long as the network is up. Storage is not needed.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
legendary
Can anyone comment on the privacy solution offered by BTCD? They have termed it Teleport and Telepathy.
"In a mantissa attack you are identified because of the exact size of your transaction.
That makes your transaction distinctive among others and it is easy to spot you on the blockchain.
To remove this threat the telepods use standard denominations, i.e.100, 50,10, 5,1 and so on."

I think that using anything that is not a integrated part of the entire protocol will bring attention to a transaction as it specifically is trying to hide something, so unless the entire bitcoin protocol is changed there really is no plausible deniability in any method used to hide transactions. It is a fail before it is even tried.
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
legendary
Sorry monero noob here.  I'm worried I sent coins to an old fork and lost money.  Is the latest version of MoneroX safe to use?

I should've tested with a smaller amount but I sent 118 XMR to an address it controls but still don't see it.  I assume it is because the blockchain is taking forever to sync.  Still only on block 40000 and have been running this for a while now.  Something else weird keeps happening.  Keeps jumping back to 37921

I think this is the txid even tho it shows way more than 118.
http://chainradar.com/xmr/transaction/79fbe7a2013436601f4aafa45f442cce601a186c5d39a0957806b1bffc640f43

Does this mean we are on block 1049316?  This is taking FOREVER to sync.  It's so slow.  Is there a different way to grab the whole blockchain?  The blockchain.bin that I have is already 5.7GB

[1] MoneroX isn't maintained anymore and it's generally advised against using it. Better to use the binaries available on the website, see:

https://getmonero.org/downloads/

[2] I am not sure which version MoneroX uses, but I think it is the version without the database, which takes up a lot of RAM and takes a lot of time to sync. Therefore, I'd advise to download the latest binaries from the site and sync that. There is a linux guide here on how to set it up, for Windows it's pretty similiar:

https://github.com/monero-project/monero-site/blob/master/knowledge-base/user-guides/create_wallet.md

[3] Make sure to backup the .keys file and the mnemonic seed (the words), if you have that you can always restore your wallet or open your wallet with simplewallet (the official wallet).

It's unlikely your funds are lost. I'd advise to first try and sync with the official binaries (bitmonerod.exe (the daemon)). Alternatively, you could try importing the .raw blockchain available on the website, see instructions here:

https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/releases

Under "Updating: Blockchain Conversion"

It shows more than 118 XMR because that is how Monero works.

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'm syncing with v0.9.4 right now and will let that run today.  It's definitely going faster.

I created a password for my old MoneroX but I have no clue where it placed the wallet.dat
This is why I'm thinking I lost money.  I don't see no .keys, they have to be generated somewhere.  It created an address for me.

Do you recall your wallet name? If so, just search your computer for it, it must be somewhere. I think MoneroX placed the wallet files in the same directory as MoneroX itself is located. Bear in mind no such thing as wallet.dat exists for Monero. The file you need to look for is .keys. Thus, if your wallet was called testwallet, search for testwallet.keys. Perhaps searching for just .keys file will also yield the wanted result.

Which operating system are you using btw?

This is why I'm concerned, it never asked to make a name.  It just asked to make a password.  It wasn't seed words.

I'm running windows 7

goto my computer
double click on your C drive
in the top right, there will be a little field that says "Search Local Disk"
click in there and type
*.keys
and then hit enter

this will find you keys file

Okay cool, I did find something.

account.bin = 39MB
account.bin.address.txt (has the address file I sent to)
account.bin.keys (1kb)

Hopefully I can import that last one in...

After bitmonerod.exe is fully synced* place those files in the same directory simplewallet.exe is in. It should be able to recognize your wallet.

You can check if you are fully synced by entering the following command into the daemon:

"diff" ("status" would also work)

This will give you the blockheight you are on. This blockheight should be equal to the height shown on moneroblocks.info. Bear in mind that you have to use the same password to open the wallet.
Activity: 45
Sorry monero noob here.  I'm worried I sent coins to an old fork and lost money.  Is the latest version of MoneroX safe to use?

I should've tested with a smaller amount but I sent 118 XMR to an address it controls but still don't see it.  I assume it is because the blockchain is taking forever to sync.  Still only on block 40000 and have been running this for a while now.  Something else weird keeps happening.  Keeps jumping back to 37921

http://chainradar.com/xmr/transaction/79fbe7a2013436601f4aafa45f442cce601a186c5d39a0957806b1bffc640f43

Does this mean we are on block 1049316?  This is taking FOREVER to sync.  It's so slow.  Is there a different way to grab the whole blockchain?  The blockchain.bin that I have is already 5.7GB

[1] MoneroX isn't maintained anymore and it's generally advised against using it. Better to use the binaries available on the website, see:

[2] I am not sure which version MoneroX uses, but I think it is the version without the database, which takes up a lot of RAM and takes a lot of time to sync. Therefore, I'd advise to download the latest binaries from the site and sync that. There is a linux guide here on how to set it up, for Windows it's pretty similiar:

https://github.com/monero-project/monero-site/blob/master/knowledge-base/user-guides/create_wallet.md

[3] Make sure to backup the .keys file and the mnemonic seed (the words), if you have that you can always restore your wallet or open your wallet with simplewallet (the official wallet).

It's unlikely your funds are lost. I'd advise to first try and sync with the official binaries (bitmonerod.exe (the daemon)). Alternatively, you could try importing the .raw blockchain available on the website, see instructions here:

Thanks for the quick reply.  I'm syncing with v0.9.4 right now and will let that run today.  It's definitely going faster.

I created a password for my old MoneroX but I have no clue where it placed the wallet.dat
This is why I'm thinking I lost money.  I don't see no .keys, they have to be generated somewhere.  It created an address for me.

Do you recall your wallet name? If so, just search your computer for it, it must be somewhere. I think MoneroX placed the wallet files in the same directory as MoneroX itself is located. Bear in mind no such thing as wallet.dat exists for Monero. The file you need to look for is .keys. Thus, if your wallet was called testwallet, search for testwallet.keys. Perhaps searching for just .keys file will also yield the wanted result.

This is why I'm concerned, it never asked to make a name.  It just asked to make a password.  It wasn't seed words.

I'm running windows 7

goto my computer
click in there and type
*.keys
and then hit enter

Okay cool, I did find something.

account.bin = 39MB
account.bin.address.txt (has the address file I sent to)
account.bin.keys (1kb)

Hopefully I can import that last one in...
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

I'm running windows 7

goto my computer
click in there and type
*.keys
and then hit enter

I'm running windows 7

EDIT:  Okay I see account.bin.keys in My Documents\Monero Accounts It's only 1kb in size.
legendary

This is why I'm thinking I lost money.  I don't see no .keys, but they have to be generated somewhere.  It created an address for me.
legendary

Sorry monero noob here.  I'm worried I sent coins to an old fork and lost money.
Is the latest version of MoneroX safe to use?  MoneroGui.Net v 1.2.2 win x64  The date on the files is 6/17/15

Activity: 770
Merit: 504
Monero topic ongoing on GameFAQs.  Jump in and answer some questions if you have time:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/400-current-events/73750302#12
legendary

Do you have a referral code you would like used? How safe is this russian site?

No, I just noticed their message on twitter. I cannot make statements regarding that unfortunately, since I don't have sufficient information.

I have a referral code but prefer not to share it because my goal was not to make money from this. Monero needs to be listed on more exchanges. Although the original Tweet came from me, I not affiliated with livecoin in any way. I  know several people who use the exchange and are satisfied with it.

Keep voting!

Any idea how high Monero currently is on the list? Or is there no visible list?
When I looked at it, it was within the top 10, I think like 5th or so. I didn't vote because you need to either have a history of trading with them or "buy" votes.

I am not a fan of buying votes, but I can understand why they would want those with a trading history. They want to add coins that will be actively trading by their customers. DASH has reasonable volume there so I think we can assume this is a good opportunity for XMR.

I just can't take a exchange seriously that has this "Teкyщaя ceccия иcтeклa в cвязи c нeaктивнocтью. Пoжaлyйcтa, выпoлнитe вxoд пoвтopнo." as their opening sign in message for selected language as english and tries to push adobe flash at me. REAL scammy looking and certainly NOT professional in the least.

Please Support the Monero Stack Exchange!

http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/98617/monero

TLDR:...[/b]

OpenID does not work for me, tried yahoo (even entered manually) and google. Site says I'm logged in with the google ID but when I try to post it asked me to sign in again then says I'm logged in and brings me back to main page in an infinite loop.

Activity: 70
Merit: 10
https://monerohash.com
Crosspost of my own from reddit: https://redd.it/4jloss

Hey guys, for those in need of a remote daemon I'm hosting a node at node.monerohash.com for public use.

Just run simplewallet with:
Code:
--daemon-host node.monerohash.com

I've also made it available through Tor at monerobdyzaxfa4e.onion so people can use it with torsocks:
Code:
torsocks ./simplewallet --daemon-host monerobdyzaxfa4e.onion

It has also been added to node.moneroworld.com which is u/gingeropolous' effort to provide a single point of entry for public nodes (more info at http://moneroworld.com)

I'll keep this node up for a while, depending on whether I see some real use in a few months or not, I might take it down.
If you would like to donate some moneroj to keep this node up, send them to 4JZVyE5uGeKP8JARRB5kttMQ65zYpFYAkienY8SVxpt6HuxnGuQTSTdKqCLsnh1iYwi53bqpLGVf8YQ nEzo9mFkjWcmifTUQ75pGNLJCjV

Just curious, how much monero is the node costing you to keep it up per month?

This one right now is costing USD $3 per month, that's about 3.55 XMR at the current exchange rate. I got a promo code for a recurring discount on a new VPS provider, the original price is $4. The specs are: KVM virtualization, 512MB RAM (490 actually), 20GB SSD, 1 vCPU (3.3ghz). I thought I would give it a try, so far is good, the SSD performance is below what I was expecting but for that price I think it's still a good deal.

I'll see how it goes, maybe I'll use another provider in the future for a slightly higher cost ($3.60-$4.50)

legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001

TLDR:

1. Go to the above site (make an account if necessary) and follow using the orange button on top left.
2. Upvote a question you think should be on a Monero stack exchange site

Why start a Stack Exchange?

Monero is tough. Its tough for developers, its tough for users. Its tough for developers because the original code from bytecoin was purposefully undocumented, so when a person wants to work with Monero, they have to figure out how the code works first. This usually involves going to #monero-dev on IRC, but not everyone has time to do that, and sometimes the person with the answer isn't sitting in the chatroom. Hell, the monero community funded someone to go through and document the code - this is the state of things. Developing for Monero is tough.

Its tough for users in two ways - the primary client is command line only, and any current third party solution requires some fiddling. Sure, the GUI may solve this issue. The second way it is tough is its conceptually difficult. Hell, I still don't understand ring signatures or the upcoming ringCT, but I'm not a cryptographer. Will a SE fix this issue? Probably not. But it will create some good answers that may help.

What can a stack exchange do that this forum, our forum, or reddit can't?

It can provide a knowledge base of information that is easily updated, curated, and searchable. The problem with reddit, or this forum, or our forum, is that information gets lost. Unless debruyne is available to serve up one of his bookmarks for a given answer, 9 times out of 10 you won't be able to search through the forums or Reddit to find an answer to a problem. More likely than not, someone had the same question you did, and someone provided an answer. But now that answers is gone. It wasn't added to our knowledge base on getmonero.org, and its lost in a thread.

With a stack exchange, a good question may lead to a good answer, and both the question and the answer get upvoted, and this information is findable in the future. Some random person that feels like tweaking monero a bit to increase its functionality can get all their questions answered without going to the chatrooms, because some people just don't like doing that I guess.

So, please goto the stackexchange, and vote on things that are under 10.  

Bump

Done
Same here  Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

TLDR:

1. Go to the above site (make an account if necessary) and follow using the orange button on top left.

Monero is tough. Its tough for developers, its tough for users. Its tough for developers because the original code from bytecoin was purposefully undocumented, so when a person wants to work with Monero, they have to figure out how the code works first. This usually involves going to #monero-dev on IRC, but not everyone has time to do that, and sometimes the person with the answer isn't sitting in the chatroom. Hell, the monero community funded someone to go through and document the code - this is the state of things. Developing for Monero is tough.

Its tough for users in two ways - the primary client is command line only, and any current third party solution requires some fiddling. Sure, the GUI may solve this issue. The second way it is tough is its conceptually difficult. Hell, I still don't understand ring signatures or the upcoming ringCT, but I'm not a cryptographer. Will a SE fix this issue? Probably not. But it will create some good answers that may help.

It can provide a knowledge base of information that is easily updated, curated, and searchable. The problem with reddit, or this forum, or our forum, is that information gets lost. Unless debruyne is available to serve up one of his bookmarks for a given answer, 9 times out of 10 you won't be able to search through the forums or Reddit to find an answer to a problem. More likely than not, someone had the same question you did, and someone provided an answer. But now that answers is gone. It wasn't added to our knowledge base on getmonero.org, and its lost in a thread.

With a stack exchange, a good question may lead to a good answer, and both the question and the answer get upvoted, and this information is findable in the future. Some random person that feels like tweaking monero a bit to increase its functionality can get all their questions answered without going to the chatrooms, because some people just don't like doing that I guess.

Bump

Done

Upvoted this q: http://area51.stackexchange.com/proposals/98617/monero/98643#98643
legendary

TLDR:

Bump
Jump to: