Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 600. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
It's going to be fun watching people try to get their head around quantum physics Grin

From my understanding the basis of quantum computing is the phenomenon of entanglement.  Although entanglement is sometimes portrayed as information being transmitted faster than the speed of light, that is not what happens.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
So who's going to submit a transaction revealing algorithm (Noble Sir)?

http://www.bbc.com/news/technology-36203043

In case anyone was concerned after some digging around apparently there is some really weird aspects of qbits such that their correlations to standard bits are not linear.

The work of Proos and Zalka show how a quantum computer for breaking 2048-bit RSA requires roughly 4096 qubits, while a quantum computer to break the equivalently secure 224-bit Elliptic Curve Cryptography requires between 1300 and 1600 qubits.

So 5 q-bits is not enough to work on the problem for some reason I can't really fathom.

Really weird aspects are to be expected...

http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/everyday-myths/quantum-weirdness.htm

...because "quantum" (ie quantized) is the opposite of "linear."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Double-slit_experiment
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
So 5 q-bits is not enough to work on the problem for some reason I can't really fathom.

My reasoning is that if quantum bits are anything like normal bits, then they could be emulated upwards at the cost of speed. But with quantum speeds being already too fast that wouldn't be such a problem.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

In case anyone was concerned after some digging around apparently there is some really weird aspects of qbits such that their correlations to standard bits are not linear.

The work of Proos and Zalka show how a quantum computer for breaking 2048-bit RSA requires roughly 4096 qubits, while a quantum computer to break the equivalently secure 224-bit Elliptic Curve Cryptography requires between 1300 and 1600 qubits.

Activity: 261
Merit: 10
https://assetsplit.org/
Hello!

I am new to this and have never mind anything. Could someone assist me in getting started?

If you like to mine monero, one of the easiest ways i found is go to moneropool.com and do what is on the 'getting started' page
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
how long time for synch monero wallet?
no windows qt, what is the program for synch wallet?

Speed depends on your hardware and connection. It can be anywhere from one hour to days.

The program that does the syncing is bitmonerd. Once it is synced you use simplewallet (or one of the GUI wrappers such as lightWallet) to communicate with it.

The program is indeed bitmonerod, after it is fully synced you can open simplewallet. You can download the binaries from here:

https://getmonero.org/downloads/

My previous post contains a guide for setup as well.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Hello!

I am new to this and have never mind anything. Could someone assist me in getting started?

Sure, what are precisely the issues you have stumbled upon? There is a setup guide here btw, it is for Linux, but for Windows it's kind of similiar:

https://github.com/monero-project/monero-site/blob/master/knowledge-base/user-guides/create_wallet.md
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

Speed depends on your hardware and connection. It can be anywhere from one hour to days.

The program that does the syncing is bitmonerd. Once it is synced you use simplewallet (or one of the GUI wrappers such as lightWallet) to communicate with it.
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
Activity: 48
Merit: 0
Hello!

legendary

legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000
Where is it written in stone that all releases have to be an element? If any release should be a exception to a naming scheme then the initial would be the one.

I can't think of a better tribute to a from what I understand was a completely altruistic contributor, btw how many of those do we have?

Is there a list of those that don't receive from dev fund or other funding methods?

Also What was his name? Or has the family chosen not to share it? Adding Dev Obituaries to the chain should be a good practice. So few of us leave a mark on the future when we are gone.

I'm not sure why it's taking me so long to bring this up but I assumed something like this would have been discussed by those that worked with him. Maybe it has been on reddit or IRC? My only news is from here and occasionally getmonero.org and I cannot find anything there.

Sounds like a great idea to me.
legendary

Thanks, looks like a pretty informal "fun" thing that was proposed. Now we have a chance to make it a Meaningful memorial. I've added the recommendation to the thread.

Thread OP:
Where is it written in stone that all releases have to be an element? If any release should be a exception to a naming scheme then the initial would be the one.

I can't think of a better tribute to a from what I understand was a completely altruistic contributor, btw how many of those do we have?

Is there a list of those that don't receive from dev fund or other funding methods?

Also What was his name? Or has the family chosen not to share it? Adding Dev Obituaries to the chain should be a good practice. So few of us leave a mark on the future when we are gone.

I'm not sure why it's taking me so long to bring this up but I assumed something like this would have been discussed by those that worked with him. Maybe it has been on reddit or IRC? My only news is from here and occasionally getmonero.org and I cannot find anything there.

First bold: I dunno if there's a list, but the core devs are a good place to start. In fact, I think the only people to receive direct funding are those involved in forum funding projects. From my understanding of how things work, the core devs really don't "snag" part of the dev donations - they use those funds to either fund developers or infrastructure (our DNS checkpointing safety net, for instance... of course that might be funded by fluffy, i dunno).

On the second bold I can only comment by not commenting Smiley As with all things monero, "soon".

no idea re: his name reveal.

This would be good to know and should probably be linked in the OP for easy access.
Activity: 649
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 1260

First bold: I dunno if there's a list, but the core devs are a good place to start. In fact, I think the only people to receive direct funding are those involved in forum funding projects. From my understanding of how things work, the core devs really don't "snag" part of the dev donations - they use those funds to either fund developers or infrastructure (our DNS checkpointing safety net, for instance... of course that might be funded by fluffy, i dunno).

On the second bold I can only comment by not commenting Smiley As with all things monero, "soon".

no idea re: his name reveal.
legendary
Activity: 1624
I agree with Hueristic.  I have seen no mention on red it and I also don't frequent IRC.

In other news, it's been a weeks since I have received the error messages in the daemon that many reported here several weeks ago.  Also it seems that the post hardfork naughty nodes are now virtually nonexistent.
legendary

Activity: 870
Merit: 585

Surprisingly no elements begin with the letter 'w'. .
Warptangentium does.
legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000
Hi guys, I'm not sure if you have decided on a name for the first non beta release yet but I would like to put forth "warptangent", I think it would be a fitting tribute.

Surprisingly no elements begin with the letter 'w'. Could go with tungsten warptangent for the 74th release tho.

I wonder how much the user class ratios have changed since they were first analyzed a year or two ago

Congrats on legendary, brethren  Smiley

Thanks vokain, nice to be in good company. I have a script for looking at unique posters in a thread, maybe I'll try to modify it this weekend to check class as well and answer that question...

I'd be interested to see it again.
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
Hi guys, I'm not sure if you have decided on a name for the first non beta release yet but I would like to put forth "warptangent", I think it would be a fitting tribute.

Surprisingly no elements begin with the letter 'w'. Could go with tungsten warptangent for the 74th release tho.

I wonder how much the user class ratios have changed since they were first analyzed a year or two ago

Congrats on legendary, brethren  Smiley

Thanks vokain, nice to be in good company. I have a script for looking at unique posters in a thread, maybe I'll try to modify it this weekend to check class as well and answer that question...
Jump to: