Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 609. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 870
Merit: 585
I'm trying to work out a way to run a Monero node on a portable device.
My Nexus 7 runs Linux, but has too little memory, so I'm trying to run bitmonerod ARMv7 on a 64 GB flash drive, but running into probs and there's only so much time in the day.
My oneplus one phone has excellent hardware, including 64 GB of storage.  The problem is how do I run Linux on the phone.  Not easy, that's for sure.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I get the distinct impression that, besides me, few to none of the participants here are constant travelers. 
I don't have the option of setting up a node.  I don't know where I'll be next week.  Even carrying a laptop around is a burden; I use mobile devices almost exclusively.
There are literally billions of people around the world who can't set up Monero nodes, but they have computing power in the form of smartphones.  For most of them, it's not because of an itinerant lifestyle, but what does the reason matter?
If you can't set up a node, you can't set up a node.
People who can't realistically be expected to run a Monero node outnumber the likes of you people by an order of magnitude.

Isn't that exactly what Mininero is supposed to address?
Anything that fully preserves the unlinkability and untraceability of Monero is fine with me.  If MiniNero accomplished that, then it wouldn't be necessary to run a full node. Still, one has to find a trusted node to connect to, yes?  You either have to run your own node, or trust someone else's?

I think the idea is run your own node on a free VPS or a small low-power device or something, while making it easy and automatic to do so. I don't know the details, but I guess more will be filled in later when it is less of a work in progress.
I get the distinct impression that, besides me, few to none of the participants here are constant travelers.  
I don't have the option of setting up a node.  I don't know where I'll be next week.  Even carrying a laptop around is a burden; I use mobile devices almost exclusively.
There are literally billions of people around the world who can't set up Monero nodes, but they have computing power in the form of smartphones.  For most of them, it's not because of an itinerant lifestyle, but what does the reason matter?
People who can't realistically be expected to run a Monero node outnumber the likes of you people by an order of magnitude.

Anything that fully preserves the unlinkability and untraceability of Monero is fine with me.  If MiniNero accomplished that, then it wouldn't be necessary to run a full node. Still, one has to find a trusted node to connect to, yes?  You either have to run your own node, or trust someone else's?
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
I don't have the option of setting up a node.  I don't know where I'll be next week.  Even carrying a laptop around is a burden; I use mobile devices almost exclusively.
There are literally billions of people around the world who can't set up Monero nodes, but they have computing power in the form of smartphones.  For most of them, it's not because of an itinerant lifestyle, but what does the reason matter?

People who can't realistically be expected to run a Monero node outnumber the likes of you people by (an) order(s) of magnitude.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
I want to start using Monero crypto currency.

I do not want to install the client.

Is there a paper wallet available or a similar secure option?

Thanks!
I would like to see a full client that runs on Android. 
I have a phone with more than enough resources to run a node.
But as it stands, you need linux or Windows.
Monero needs an Android full node app.
We should fund a project.

I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for, but you could try this:

https://github.com/ShenNoether/MiniNeroDroid

Release here:

https://github.com/ShenNoether/MiniNeroDroid/releases/tag/finalbeta

As far as I can see, you can connect it to a remote node of your liking (could be your own). Perhaps with some tweaks it could be used as full node "app" too.

It needs to be your remote node, because you need to run a mininodo NodeJS thing, and there might be some keys or something needed to talk between the two.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

Thanks!

I know this isn't exactly what you were looking for, but you could try this:

https://github.com/ShenNoether/MiniNeroDroid

Release here:

https://github.com/ShenNoether/MiniNeroDroid/releases/tag/finalbeta

As far as I can see, you can connect it to a remote node of your liking (could be your own). Perhaps with some tweaks it could be used as full node "app" too.
legendary
Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

Thanks!

There is a web wallet run by one of XMR devs at https://mymonero.com/#/ - Not sure if it's still charges an initial fee though.

The fee is only charged if you import an existing XMR account.  If you create a new account with mymonero it is free.  In addition the way the software is written your private key is never written to the remote server, it always remains client side so it would be impossible for hackers to run off with your funds if the site was somehow compromised.
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116

Thanks!

You can run Debian on Android, so you could try to compile the daemon and wallet yourself for your specific device. People have compiled for raspberry pi, so it should be doable I think.

Thanks!
Activity: 337
Merit: 250
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
Will be soon, fluffypony is rebuilding the missing libs I think.

Has this happened?
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141

Thanks!

https://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/48cgmd/an_extensive_guide_for_securely_generating_an/

Based on this paperwallet generator -> https://moneroaddress.org
Activity: 337

Thanks!

There is a web wallet run by one of XMR devs at https://mymonero.com/#/ - Not sure if it's still charges an initial fee though.

Download the binaries, unpack, run
Code:
simplewallet.exe --generate-new-wallet temp.wallet
Put any password you want, even random.
Pick a language - preferably the one your keyboard is set on. If you don't know, pick English.

On the screen you will see (separately) a list of 25 words. Those you have to write down and keep safe, it's the only way you will be able to spend your money.
Write:
Code:
viewkey
Save that string, keep it at hand.

You can now exit and even delete temp.wallet and temp.wallet.keys.

What you have now:
1. A list of words to generate a full spend wallet whenever you want.
2. A viewkey you can use to create a view-only wallet.
3. The content of temp.wallet.address.txt is your address. You can send money there.

This is the closest I know to paper wallet.
But if you want to check the amount inside your wallet, you still need to make a wallet (even view only) and use a wallet software, since for Monero you can't just see on "blockchain" how much money anybody has.

If anybody knows more/better, please tell.

https://moneroaddress.org/
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!

Thanks!

Download the binaries, unpack, run
Code:
simplewallet.exe --generate-new-wallet temp.wallet
Put any password you want, even random.
Pick a language - preferably the one your keyboard is set on. If you don't know, pick English.

On the screen you will see (separately) a list of 25 words. Those you have to write down and keep safe, it's the only way you will be able to spend your money.
Write:
Code:
viewkey
Save that string, keep it at hand.

You can now exit and even delete temp.wallet and temp.wallet.keys.

What you have now:
1. A list of words to generate a full spend wallet whenever you want.
2. A viewkey you can use to create a view-only wallet.
3. The content of temp.wallet.address.txt is your address. You can send money there.

This is the closest I know to paper wallet.
But if you want to check the amount inside your wallet, you still need to make a wallet (even view only) and use a wallet software, since for Monero you can't just see on "blockchain" how much money anybody has.

If anybody knows more/better, please tell.
legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959

Thanks!

Activity: 206
Merit: 100
While men's faith is down, I rock my own w my lovr
Seems that this coin will get even bigger on Poloniex. Good work guys, investing on you
x13
Activity: 336
Things are called shit for a reason, dear.

Thanks!
Activity: 201
Merit: 100
The text was copied and pasted from a post by othe yesterday on the Monero forum........
https://forum.getmonero.org/9/work-in-progress/2476/the-official-qt-gui-project

I have no idea why he didn't credit the source or the author.

Thank you!  I've updated my post to credit Othe.
Jump to: