Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 841. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000
Hold shift and right-click on folder and select "Open command window here".

A very useful trick that I can never remember when I need it. Maybe writing this will finally fix it in my mind..

It is very helpful for "cmd noobs" because they don't have to worry about finding the right directory, etc.

Nice, Never knew that. When was it added? I always added it to the right click menu.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\CommandPrompt]
@=”Command Prompt:”
[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell\CommandPrompt\Command]
@=”cmd.exe /k cd %1″

At least since Vista. I don't feel like digging up an XP machine ATM, but I *think* it has it as well.
Never used vista, probably why I missed it. I'll check XP l8r. Thx. Smiley

Just checked, this is not an option for XP.

Well there ya go. Stop using old, no-longer-supported OSes. Smiley
Activity: 207
Merit: 120

A very useful trick that I can never remember when I need it. Maybe writing this will finally fix it in my mind..

It is very helpful for "cmd noobs" because they don't have to worry about finding the right directory, etc.

Nice, Never knew that. When was it added? I always added it to the right click menu.

@=”cmd.exe /k cd %1″

At least since Vista. I don't feel like digging up an XP machine ATM, but I *think* it has it as well.

Just checked, this is not an option for XP.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
There is an issue for me on the Monero Forum that prevents me from replying to any thread and therefore cannot let anybody know about it there.

When I try to reply I get the following message: Whoops, looks like something went wrong.

Looks like GingerAle is doing some work on the "ABOUT MONERO" PAGE CONTENT there Smiley

https://forum.getmonero.org/7/open-tasks/346/about-monero-page-content
Activity: 812
Could somebody pls link me Monero's peer review of the CryptoNote whitepaper and any other noteworthy peer reviews /audits etc regarding CN, BCN and XMR?

Many Thanks

while your google-fu has been proven to be weak numerous times, it should be sufficient for this task.

Don't quote the most ignored troll on BitCoinTalk, please.

Oh come now wazowski, asking for links to papers?
I dunno how you guys can tolerate these disgusting trolls asking for informative links and questioning the Monero view of the world… I guess it's a religious thing.
You have my sympathies. Get well soon.

(FYI a fine example of sandbagging (trolling) can be found here:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.11930625 )
legendary
you can also launch it via shortcut:

1. right click on simplewallet.exe
2. Select Create shortcut
3. right click on the newly created shortcut, choose properties.
4. in field 'Target', add
Code:
--restore-deterministic-wallet
in the end
it should llook something like this:
Code:
C:\xx\xx\monero.win.xxx\simplewallet.exe --restore-deterministic-wallet
save it

5. doouble click on the shortcut.
6. it will ask you for wallet name
7. it will ask you for wallet passwort. be carefull there since you can not see what you type and you can also only set it once (should be more userfriendly, at least double check pw to prevent errors)
8. it will ask you for seed
9. maybe you need to refresh when wallet was created, maybe it refresh and scans blockchain by itself, i cant remember

hope it helps

maybe you try to run simplewallet exe from somewhere else, it will know where to find the blockchain by itself

When I first tried I got the same problem where I was not allowed to run the program.

In my Bitmonero folder I have monero.win.x64.latest, blockchain, p2pstate, poolstate and simplewallet.  This was the simplewallet I tried and it did not work.

When I opened monero.win.x64.latest there is another simple wallet application and this worked. 

Thanks everybody Smiley
Activity: 453
Merit: 500
hello world
you can also launch it via shortcut:

1. right click on simplewallet.exe
2. Select Create shortcut
3. right click on the newly created shortcut, choose properties.
4. in field 'Target', add
Code:
--restore-deterministic-wallet
in the end
it should llook something like this:
Code:
C:\xx\xx\monero.win.xxx\simplewallet.exe --restore-deterministic-wallet
save it

5. doouble click on the shortcut.
6. it will ask you for wallet name
7. it will ask you for wallet passwort. be carefull there since you can not see what you type and you can also only set it once (should be more userfriendly, at least double check pw to prevent errors)
8. it will ask you for seed
9. maybe you need to refresh when wallet was created, maybe it refresh and scans blockchain by itself, i cant remember

hope it helps

maybe you try to run simplewallet exe from somewhere else, it will know where to find the blockchain by itself
legendary
Navigate to the folder where you have simplewallet.exe, but don't open it. Hold shift and right-click on folder and select "Open command window here", and then type exactly what myagui suggested:
Code:
simplewallet.exe --restore-deterministic-wallet

I received an error earlier which I don't remember and just tried again as I finished work.  Now my PC (windows 8.1) won't let it run.  I get something on my monitor as well as the following in the command window, "Access is denied."

After shift+R click I was at AppData\Roaming\Bitmonero>

I'm not running the daemon
Activity: 453
Merit: 500
hello world
I still start monero with this script, it works very well for me:

Code:
@echo off
tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq bitmonerod.exe" 2>NUL | find /I /N "bitmonerod.exe">NUL
  if not %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 (
  echo Starting node...
  start /MIN bitmonerod.exe
  else (
     echo Node already started.
)

tasklist /FI "IMAGENAME eq simplewallet.exe" 2>NUL | find /I /N "simplewallet.exe">NUL
if not %ERRORLEVEL% == 0 (
  if exist mywallet.keys (
    echo Starting previous save...
    start simplewallet.exe --wallet mywallet
) else (
    echo Starting new save...
    start simplewallet.exe
  )
) else (
    echo wallet already started.
)

i also have a cpoy of the same script to restore wallets from seed.

the script is usefull if you have several wallets for example.
just save it as .bat file inside your simplewallet.exe folder
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
FYI, I requested that the Monero Missives be listed with PlayerFM, a popular Android podcast player. They just listed it here: https://player.fm/series/the-monero-missive-podcast

More reason to keep up with the missives and use this as a free tool to distribute knowledge. Anyone want to tackle iTunes?

What would be cool also is if the missives could be uploaded to YouTube (with a suitable static graphic overlay). This would be useful for peeps like me who are not so big on podcasts but are avid YouTube subscribers.

I'm sure it would also increase subscription to the Monero YouTube channel over time. Build up a following etc.

There were the fireside chats in the past:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlTDS3iCqRY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9gH2ndAAkE

It was very nice, people could ask questions live on IRC.
Activity: 212
Merit: 100
FYI, I requested that the Monero Missives be listed with PlayerFM, a popular Android podcast player. They just listed it here: https://player.fm/series/the-monero-missive-podcast

More reason to keep up with the missives and use this as a free tool to distribute knowledge. Anyone want to tackle iTunes?

Build up a following first.
legendary
Activity: 1442
Merit: 1001

legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

@=”cmd.exe /k cd %1″

legendary

@=”cmd.exe /k cd %1″

legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

@=”cmd.exe /k cd %1″
legendary

Activity: 183
Merit: 100

legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
Navigate to the folder where you have simplewallet.exe, but don't open it. Hold shift and right-click on folder and select "Open command window here", and then type exactly what myagui suggested:
Code:
legendary
Yes windows.  Started simple wallet and put in "simplewallet --restore-deterministic-wallet" and what I got was "The wallet doesn't exist, generating a new one" Huh

The way you are doing it, you are opening up simplewallet without any parameters, then asking it to open a wallet file, by the name of simplewallet --restore-deterministic-wallet.
What you should do instead, in a command prompt, or by editing the shortcut properties if you are using a shortcut, is have simplewallet executed along with the parameter that was explained:

Simplewallet will then ask you for the seed words, and a wallet file name, which it will then (re)create.

I did it many months ago but don't remember how I did it, only that it was simple to do.

What you wrote was very clear.  The only problem is I am ignorant so I would need too know how to do it in a command prompt.  As far as using a shortcut, I just start simplewallet from the folder in AppData>Roaming>Bitmonero

Edit: windows 8.1
legendary
Activity: 1260
from the speculation thread

developing or filling out the empty sections on the getmonero page.

I wanted to contribute some but then I started to do it and it's not easy to preview your own work before submitting a pull request. I think I need to get Jekyll and build the site but I'm already trying to learn about 10 other things right now so I put it off...lol

just build it in the open task I have going in the development section in the forum.getmonero.org. If you post words / ideas, I can turn it into kramdown. I'm currently working on formatting the blob of text I had there.
legendary
Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001
Yes windows.  Started simple wallet and put in "simplewallet --restore-deterministic-wallet" and what I got was "The wallet doesn't exist, generating a new one" Huh

The way you are doing it, you are opening up simplewallet without any parameters, then asking it to open a wallet file, by the name of simplewallet --restore-deterministic-wallet.
What you should do instead, in a command prompt, or by editing the shortcut properties if you are using a shortcut, is have simplewallet executed along with the parameter that was explained:

Simplewallet will then ask you for the seed words, and a wallet file name, which it will then (re)create.
Jump to: