Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 836. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 504
Speaking of dice sites, who's gonna be the next Voorhees?  Who will make the goto dice/gambling site for Monero?  

I was actually seeing a push from some of the more creative alt coiners to create slot machines and virtual scratch off tickets with cryptocurrency.  If they were provably fair, this could be lucrative.  

I know maybe I'm opening up the floodgates for spam here, but can someone summarize all major Monero gambling sites in a single post?
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Is anybody working on a faucet?

Yeah, shitaifan2013 stated that he is working on that in cooperation with SafeDice if I recall correctly.

Edit:

MM time?

It's been a very busy week for Monero.

I demand a new MoneroWorld Weekly Digest!

Here I'll start:

- part time core dev crowdfunding nearly done   Shocked

-Chinese translation funded  Cool

-Arabic and many other translations Soon(tm)  Smiley

-Peter Todd says nice thing about Monero, trolls Dash, absolutely epic butthurt ensues  Grin

-NoodleDoodle issues massive commit bringing DB to RAM performance levels or better  Shocked

-RPIE announces his company will start the process of buying One Million Moneroj  Shocked

-8/8 is declared Lucky Monero Day in China   Undecided

-Jay-Z films new rap video sitting in hot tub filled with cryptonic coins, champagne, and groupies  Wink

-Putin announces he will only sell gas/oil/vodka for XMR   Huh

-Monero Bears still understandably terrified of shorting, even given 0% loans   Roll Eyes

3 little additions Smiley

- a finnish company is planning to get more exposure to monero (edit: just saw that you already mentiioned this)

- a faucet is going to launch within the next few weeks

- 2 newly corwdfunded xmr nodes via bitnodes.net(https://bitnodes.net/status/) are up

have a good start in this new week gang!

Nice recap. I think I missed the faucet news. Where was that?

so far I've only dropped the hint on the faucet launch one or two times. Wink  maybe that wasnt on here but on getmonero.org.
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
Is anybody working on a faucet?
legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001
There may be licensing/attribution issues with borrowed and stripped code.  But IDK if github will do anything about it.

I wouldn't really want github to get in the business of deciding what gets censored or not. How would they determine if a claim is valid ? What if both projects took code from a third one which they don't know about, for instance ? Besides, only the attribution/copyright thing is wrong. Removing comments is perfectly fine, as long as the copyright notice is retained.

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
The original code apparently had nearly all the comments programmatically stripped out. (I have no idea how well commented it was before they were stripped, of course.)
What is the evidence that nearly all the comments were programmatically stripped out?

There are very few comments, and little to nothing the way of design documents or notes, so either nearly all of these were removed from the tree (though "programmatically" is just a theory -- they could also have been removed by hand) or the code was never properly documented in the first place (ugh).

As further evidence for the latter, there are some modules that have been identified as being from other open source libraries with the attributions and comments removed, but again it is still possible those comments were removed but the rest of the code was never commented.

Have those modules comments been reinstated?

The original code apparently had nearly all the comments programmatically stripped out. (I have no idea how well commented it was before they were stripped, of course.)
What is the evidence that nearly all the comments were programmatically stripped out?

Also when they used our payment_id / RPC code and merged it back to their repo they stripped out all our explanatory comments.

Well thats a HUGE red flag! Is there a way to permanently point this out on github for others to note?

There may be licensing/attribution issues with borrowed and stripped code.  But IDK if github will do anything about it.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

There are very few comments, and little to nothing the way of design documents or notes, so either nearly all of these were removed from the tree (though "programmatically" is just a theory -- they could also have been removed by hand) or the code was never properly documented in the first place (ugh).

As further evidence for the latter, there are some modules that have been identified as being from other open source libraries with the attributions and comments removed, but again it is still possible those comments were removed but the rest of the code was never commented.

Getting more of the common code to directly use existing (and actively maintained) open source libraries is definitely an ongoing goal. It isn't exactly the highest priority because, well, it works the way it is and there are other priorities (and limited resources).

Also when they used our payment_id / RPC code and merged it back to their repo they stripped out all our explanatory comments.

Well thats a HUGE red flag! Is there a way to permanently point this out on github for others to note?

I think fluffypony pointed out the exact incident with github commits on one of the old trolling threads.
legendary
how big is the network really?
i can see numbers from 8 mh/s to 14 mh/s.

can't we estimate it better? (or you, becasue i cant Kiss)

like saying difficulty 900'000'000 means there are like 20'000 gtx 960 equivalents or whatever

The difficulty or some interpolated version of the difficulty is really the best estimate. The hash rate estimate is the difficulty estimate divided by 60.

So at a difficulty of 900M the hash rate estimate would be 15M. Let's say a midrange GPU is 500 H/s so that would be 30 000 GPUs.

Activity: 453
Merit: 500
hello world
how big is the network really?
i can see numbers from 8 mh/s to 14 mh/s.

can't we estimate it better? (or you, becasue i cant Kiss)

like saying difficulty 900'000'000 means there are like 20'000 gtx 960 equivalents or whatever
legendary
Activity: 1124
Merit: 1013
ParalleCoin's ruler from the shadow
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
Everyone please join
http://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/

and

https://forum.getmonero.org

Better organization of information and less trolling

Except that I can't reply in any threads on https://forum.getmonero.org

I used to be able to.  I can start threads, which I have to let it be known I am having issues.  Now waiting, it's all I can do.

I see your thread there; since you can't respond there, I'll ask here:

Have you tried a new user account or different PC? Those seem the most obvious isolation ideas.

Thanks for the suggestions.  Neither worked.

I had already tried 3 different browsers.
legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000
Everyone please join

and

I used to be able to.  I can start threads, which I have to let it be known I am having issues.  Now waiting, it's all I can do.

I see your thread there; since you can't respond there, I'll ask here:

Have you tried a new user account or different PC? Those seem the most obvious isolation ideas.
legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
Everyone please join

and

I used to be able to.  I can start threads, which I have to let it be known I am having issues.  Now waiting, it's all I can do.
legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it

donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

Activity: 686
Merit: 500
Everyone please join

and

legendary

Activity: 82
Merit: 10
legendary
Activity: 1008
Merit: 1001
Hy guys  Grin,
please do not forget to vote DAILY on cryptopia to get Monero listed!
Vote, Vote, Vote!!!
legendary
BTW, I am not knocking the contributions made as just by my cursory looks at the code it is a daunting task to be able to contribute anything code wise. I am just pointing out the Documentation HAS to be added as the work progresses and kept up to date for proper project management. this really doesn't need to be said though. Every programmer knows this.

This has been done. The new code has extensive comments, including block comments that describe design and implementation issues and decisions. Several other areas of the code have had comments added (by various project contributors). The original code apparently had nearly all the comments programmatically stripped out. (I have no idea how well commented it was before they were stripped, of course.) We have to do the best we can with that.

Good to know, are the code portions that have been fixed been commented as well? As soon as there is a flowchart the task of absorbing this project may be to the level where I can manage it. Smiley Getting old and forgetful is a real bitch. :|

You should really try using doxygen to create graphs. It won't create a flowchart of the whole thing down to the individual statement level but it does create call graphs, class heirarchy graphs, usage graphs, etc.

pull request

We use the same git source code control for documentation and the web site itself.

What this means is that if there is something in terms of documentation or the web content you think should be added, changed, improved, etc. you don't need to ask someone else to do it, you can (and should) do it yourself. Even small pieces are helpful.

So I put this in the wrong place?
https://github.com/monero-project/monero-site/issues/49

No that's fine. monero-site includes the "knowledge base" and within that "developer guides" which could include that sort of documentation.

Of course better would be a pull request: "Here's a flowchart I created to add to the knowledge base. I couldn't fill in all the details so I left many parts blank." Then others can add to it...

legendary
Activity: 3836
Merit: 4969
Doomed to see the future and unable to prevent it
BTW, I am not knocking the contributions made as just by my cursory looks at the code it is a daunting task to be able to contribute anything code wise. I am just pointing out the Documentation HAS to be added as the work progresses and kept up to date for proper project management. this really doesn't need to be said though. Every programmer knows this.

This has been done. The new code has extensive comments, including block comments that describe design and implementation issues and decisions. Several other areas of the code have had comments added (by various project contributors). The original code apparently had nearly all the comments programmatically stripped out. (I have no idea how well commented it was before they were stripped, of course.) We have to do the best we can with that.

Good to know, are the code portions that have been fixed been commented as well? As soon as there is a flowchart the task of absorbing this project may be to the level where I can manage it. Smiley Getting old and forgetful is a real bitch. :|

You should really try using doxygen to create graphs. It won't create a flowchart of the whole thing down to the individual statement level but it does create call graphs, class heirarchy graphs, usage graphs, etc.

pull request

We use the same git source code control for documentation and the web site itself.

What this means is that if there is something in terms of documentation or the web content you think should be added, changed, improved, etc. you don't need to ask someone else to do it, you can (and should) do it yourself. Even small pieces are helpful.

So I put this in the wrong place?
https://github.com/monero-project/monero-site/issues/49

My mind is stuck in top down structure so it it painful although not impossible for me to use other methodologies. That is why I need that. I will try to use doxygen when time allows, I took a look at it when ginger posted it. I find it hard to believe no one has this done already.
Jump to: