Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 849. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 177
Merit: 100
I've bought and sold many, many XDN (which I got on the cheap there Wink ) through HitBTC over the last year and have communicated with them as well over a withdrawal issue I once had a few months back which was quickly rectified. It's nice that I can deposit my XDN there with no confirmation wait unlike other exchanges. That being said, people should never store coins on any exchange. I've since withdrawn some XDN to try a new feature which let's me deposit to the blockchain.

My opinion of HitBTC is that it is one of my favorites.

In addition to polo and bter, bittrex also supports it, along with hitbtc (not recommended), shapeshift, xmr.to. In the past Kozi's defunct exchange.to and mintpal did, and probably at least one or two other smaller/defunct exchanges.

Why is hitbtc not recommended?

Many reports of faked volume (which I can confirm by my own experience trading there), problems with withdrawals (which I never experienced), etc.

Here's one post that cites a variety of sources reporting some of these problems:

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

In addition to polo and bter, bittrex also supports it, along with hitbtc (not recommended), shapeshift, xmr.to. In the past Kozi's defunct exchange.to and mintpal did, and probably at least one or two other smaller/defunct exchanges.

Many reports of faked volume (which I can confirm by my own experience trading there), problems with withdrawals (which I never experienced), etc.

Here's one post that cites a variety of sources reporting some of these problems:

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Activity: 896
Another reason is a security. Since https://mymonero.com/ is a centralized app (or am i wrong) it is quite critical to observe the source code.

There is a back end that is not released, but the functions it performs are relatively simple, and do receive the spend keys at all (see next sentence). Most of the functionality, including all operations on spend keys, are done using JavaScript code you can view in your browser.

But back end matters. Why just not to release a full source code for everyone to check it.  If we are talking about wallets for "money units" transfer closed source code is a critical issue for trust.

It has been stated that it will be released.

For security of funds the back end does not matter. The transactions are created and signed in the front end. The back end simply relays them, which is no different in function from any other node.

For the money transferring operation every part of source code matter. I do not know what do you have at back end => why should i trust you?
You may spy on my transactions (i don`t say you do), or do anything you want.

I'm pretty sure it is stated in the terms of service that MyMonero does monitor your transactions to some extent (indeed it has to in order to function). If you want the highest level of privacy you should use your own private wallet (and also take care to prevent network-level spying).

So there is no issue of security with spying, since that is part of the normal functioning.

If you are concerned about the security of your funds you can review the JavaScript to see that the private spend keys are never sent to the back end (only view keys are).

Ok.
But anyway, some day i would like to see a source code. Wink
legendary
Another reason is a security. Since https://mymonero.com/ is a centralized app (or am i wrong) it is quite critical to observe the source code.

There is a back end that is not released, but the functions it performs are relatively simple, and do receive the spend keys at all (see next sentence). Most of the functionality, including all operations on spend keys, are done using JavaScript code you can view in your browser.

But back end matters. Why just not to release a full source code for everyone to check it.  If we are talking about wallets for "money units" transfer closed source code is a critical issue for trust.

For security of funds the back end does not matter. The transactions are created and signed in the front end. The back end simply relays them, which is no different in function from any other node.

For the money transferring operation every part of source code matter. I do not know what do you have at back end => why should i trust you?

I'm pretty sure it is stated in the terms of service that MyMonero does monitor your transactions to some extent (indeed it has to in order to function). If you want the highest level of privacy you should use your own private wallet (and also take care to prevent network-level spying).

So there is no issue of security with spying, since that is part of the normal functioning.

If you are concerned about the security of your funds you can review the JavaScript to see that the private spend keys are never sent to the back end (only view keys are).

Also i can`t "play" with my own variant and verify security for my purposes, since there is no source code.
Close sourced wallet is a close sourced wallet.
legendary

legendary

Activity: 462
Merit: 250
How to get Monero available at btc-e?

tweet them, open support tickets, email etc

Monero needs to be easier for exchanges to add.  Polo and Bter have shown it's not impossible, but BTC-e only supports Bitcoin forks.

So clearly isn't impossible or even necessarily that difficult. Exchanges that want to do it, can do it. Of course, that takes nothing away from making it easier to do.

And how about cryptsy? Poloniex is great exchange, but to rise volume and Monero traders, cryptsy would be really helpful.

But much better would be... ...okcoin. Just imagine how part of huge LTC volume at okcoin is going to XMR... Smiley
i have a question about https://mymonero.com/, sorry if wrong place to ask here.

As i see https://mymonero.com/ it is complete close sourced.
Is there any way to see the Source Code, i would like to try it with DigitalNote XDN.

legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

The C++ i2p looked to be coming along but not stable enough to integrate, if I recall correctly what fluffypony said the last time he looked at it. That was a while ago though, so perhaps it is closer now. No specific target has been set for it though, I think the main push now is to get the database release tagged.

Thanks for the update on that important front.

Once i2p is done, I'd like to help foment creation of Monero Appliances, using BSD on open source hardware.

I buy one or two, especially if it some of the profit went to the core devs.

ProxyHam vanished?  OK, let's build BankBoxes instead...

I read one of the decentralized market coins, I can 't remember the name of the coin but not to many of them exists so I guess it can be found here somewhere uses i2p and they claim it is stable. Perhaps the Monero team could copy that.

i2p as a network is stable, but the only way of connecting to it is via a Java application. We're not comfortable adding a Java dependency to Monero, so last year we started working with the i2p developers, initially on i2pcpp and then on i2pd at their request. You can follow he progress here: https://github.com/PurpleI2P/i2pd
donator
Activity: 1274
Merit: 1060
GetMonero.org / MyMonero.com

The C++ i2p looked to be coming along but not stable enough to integrate, if I recall correctly what fluffypony said the last time he looked at it. That was a while ago though, so perhaps it is closer now. No specific target has been set for it though, I think the main push now is to get the database release tagged.

It's getting there, the reseeding is working and some other core functionality has been completed, but there's still a lot of work to be done to get it stable on all the platforms we support.
Activity: 122
Interesting post by smooth on another thread, thanks to the last optimizations Monero can actually get near VISA-levels of TPS:

Speaking of block size...what's Monero's capacity in terms of txs per second?

Monero has a very scalable block size solution. It is "adaptive" as it changes with the amount of information going through the Monero network.

Okay, thanks. I'd prefer a number, but what you wrote will do. Smiley

What he said was right. There is no hard limit in the protocol. Noodle Doodle's recent benchmarks on an i7-2600K show 2.5 ms average tx verification time (per core) so that would max out at 1600 tx/second.

Usage at that level would require a lot of bandwidth and CPUs slower than a 2011 quad core desktop would not be able to keep up and would need to drop off.

That looks like very good scaling to me!
zsp
Activity: 181

Once i2p is done, I'd like to help foment creation of Monero Appliances, using BSD on open source hardware.

I buy one or two, especially if it some of the profit went to the core devs.

ProxyHam vanished?  OK, let's build BankBoxes instead...

I read one of the decentralized market coins, I can 't remember the name of the coin but not to many of them exists so I guess it can be found here somewhere uses i2p and they claim it is stable. Perhaps the Monero team could copy that.
Activity: 350
Interesting post by smooth on another thread, thanks to the last optimizations Monero can actually get near VISA-levels of TPS:

Speaking of block size...what's Monero's capacity in terms of txs per second?

Monero has a very scalable block size solution. It is "adaptive" as it changes with the amount of information going through the Monero network.

Okay, thanks. I'd prefer a number, but what you wrote will do. Smiley

What he said was right. There is no hard limit in the protocol. Noodle Doodle's recent benchmarks on an i7-2600K show 2.5 ms average tx verification time (per core) so that would max out at 1600 tx/second.

Usage at that level would require a lot of bandwidth and CPUs slower than a 2011 quad core desktop would not be able to keep up and would need to drop off.

Activity: 700
Merit: 508
for whats it worth im still interested in adding monero.

What is stopping you?

the issue is connecting the wallet to the network anonymously. i tried transparent proxies as suggested by elrippo however that does not work because it blocks i2p

My suggestion is to find a fixed set of stable nodes. (The seed nodes run by the project are okay but if you don't want to be tied to just those nodes you can find your own list.) Then set up local proxies to those node addresses and set up the monero node to connect to your local proxies using --add-exclusive-node and --hide-my-port

You will have to periodically review your list of nodes and if they become unstable replace them.

that sounds like a lot of work. has there been any progress with i2p integration?

A lot of work seems exaggerated. I could probably do this in 15-30 minutes if I were a bit more familiar with the proxy tools.

any thought on using SAM bridge?
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

I'd buy one or two, especially if it some of the profit went to the core devs.

ProxyHam vanished?  OK, let's build BankBoxes instead...
Activity: 350
for whats it worth im still interested in adding monero.

What is stopping you?

the issue is connecting the wallet to the network anonymously. i tried transparent proxies as suggested by elrippo however that does not work because it blocks i2p

My suggestion is to find a fixed set of stable nodes. (The seed nodes run by the project are okay but if you don't want to be tied to just those nodes you can find your own list.) Then set up local proxies to those node addresses and set up the monero node to connect to your local proxies using --add-exclusive-node and --hide-my-port

You will have to periodically review your list of nodes and if they become unstable replace them.

that sounds like a lot of work. has there been any progress with i2p integration?

lololololol and you sound like a honeypot

most private coin (XMR) on the most KYC-nuts exchange (polo), most private exchange[1] without the most private coin Cheesy

[1] still not sure about your i2p exchange, ip protection is the most weak-ass of them all, I could just go to a cybercafe or use a random open wifi and make my XMR transaction that cannot be tracked or linked, or use an exchange on i2p network that btw is not perfect nor much better than TOR (just less used) to trade Bitcoin-clones.

it's a weird world.

On the other hand if it were a honeypot I wouldn't care about having my server located and this issue would be mote.

I guess some line of though similar to "our coin is the best so, if your not using it you must be a fraud." The difference between ExchangeD.i2p is that you don't have to submit an id to use it, and we dont report to the govt or LE. If you dont mind giving your ID to use financial services good for you. I care, and so i build a service for people like me that are bothered by it. Of course your free do to trade on poloniex all you want. Not knocking your dream, just pointing out that financial regulation is a real thing and it is now impacting the cryptocoin community in a negative way.

Im interested in providing a service to the monero community that, at the moment does not exist. Im here looking for some guidance on how to do that. if you dont like it you dont have to use it.

I guess I don't really care, there is a fine line between not having anything to hide and not wanting gov or anyone else lurking through your stuff.

Good luck with your exchange, with or without XMR on it.

Jump to: