Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 852. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959
wow the trolls are back in full force, or is this just the beginning?
so many monero threads, please do not open any more..

Yeah seems trolls are having a field day... and it's not like Monero is rallying hard or whatever, weird.

Maybe child_harold with the purple crayon has a sockpuppet army? Wink
Activity: 158
Merit: 100
Feel free to follow me.  I am a former Anoncoin believer who has given up on any hope of a Zerocoin implementation by the Anoncoin team.

I now support Monero as can be reflected in my last several Tweets. Hopefully some former ANC believers will follow me to the XMR community
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.

Yeah seems trolls are having a field day... and it's not like Monero is rallying hard or whatever, weird.

They have epic butthurt over Peter Todd's recent anti-Dash/pro-Monero tweets.
Activity: 700
Merit: 500

Activity: 500
Hey guys. Looking to compile the latest from github on my ubuntu machine. Anyone have build instructions?

shortly, with ubuntu 15.04

install git and all dependencies:
Code:
sudo apt-get install git gcc-4.9 cmake libunbound2 libevent-2.0-5 libgtest-dev libboost1.55-dev

then clone the github
Code:
git clone https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero.git

and compile
Code:
cd bitmonero
make
or make -j n with n=number of core to use according to your cpu

you will find bimonerod and simplewallet in build/release/bin

Activity: 500
i don't recompile bitmonerod every week but i have been doing two days ago (commit #336)
because of the change in database format, i must re-dowloaded blockchain (i didn't try to export and reimport) and what a surprise: it was really quick!
on a 6 years old desktop, 4gB, hdd (you can't do worse), synchronizing was ok ~9 hours later. In my memory, the last time i downloaded the blockchain it was taking at least 2 days on this desktop.
so yes, the work on the blockchain is very impressive. and there is a lot of other improvement (on simplewallet by example, viewkey is amazing)

Let me just say thanks you to all contributors of the github.
Activity: 450
Merit: 250
legendary
Activity: 1276
Merit: 1001
Here's a less technical overview of what's been pushed to Monero. Since I'm starting, I'll just do the first history page from github, which covers about a month: https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/commits/master

There's been more commits since this first post, so let's look at what's been merged:

Massive improvements to the blockchain handling code mean much faster syncing and verification. This was some stellar work by NoodleDoodle here. Several paths are now multithreaded. Note that the database format changed to allow faster lookups of some data, so if you were using it, you will need to export and reimport.

simplewallet's text output got changed to allow strings to be loaded from a file instead of hardcoded. It is using the Qt Linguist format, so simplewallet can be translated to any language. There are simple instructions in a README file. Either the Qt Linguist GUI can be used, or Transifex, if and when Monero uses it. Other tools aren't translated at the moment, as it's not clear the extra time is worth it.

More work was done on the blockchain export/import tools. The  importer previsouly could not resize the database on the fly as the import was going on. This is now fixed, and the importer now runs flawlessly from start to finish, managing the blockchain database size as needed.

Last, a bug causing bitmonerod to hang got fixed, and some documentation and build tweaks went in.
Activity: 283
Merit: 250

It's a normal day...
 Tongue
Activity: 453
hello world
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Activity: 60
Merit: 10
Activity: 606
Y'all got any whitepapers for me to snack on?
Activity: 122
Merit: 100
I encourage everyone to visit the getmonero forums

If you have a good idea, present it here:
https://forum.getmonero.org/6/ideas

If the community likes it, crowdfunding is possible!

Lots of good projects are already underway
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
So are the Missives gone and completely dried up?  

legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
In regards to mining, what happens when all blocks found? No more mining? New mining? Just playing around with a spreadsheet and it looks like sometime early 2016 we'll see all blocks found (assuming the current mining hashes).

The supply is unlimited and mining never stops. When the block reward reaches 0.3 XMR it will remain fixed at that amount.

This, but also since the reward declines with every block the fixed maintenance level won't be reached until well past 2016. Sometime around 7-8 years after launch I believe, although the exact date can't be determined in advance (due to slippage in the block rate and variable reward penalties).
Activity: 795
Merit: 514
In regards to mining, what happens when all blocks found? No more mining? New mining? Just playing around with a spreadsheet and it looks like sometime early 2016 we'll see all blocks found (assuming the current mining hashes).

The supply is unlimited and mining never stops. When the block reward reaches 0.3 XMR it will remain fixed at that amount.
Activity: 509
Activity: 795
Merit: 514
Perhaps I am a troll

The first step is admitting there's a problem.
Jump to: