Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 860. (Read 4670673 times)

legendary
Activity: 1624
Merit: 1008
So we want to market to the masses, wonderful.
To do that you say we need an official GUI, ok.

What good will that do without a tagged release of the DB version of Monero?

Respectfully, The Drooling Masses™
Activity: 294
Merit: 260
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems that the Cryptonote/Bytecoin QT Gui is not open source. So no porting possible.
Activity: 795
Merit: 514
I'll pledge 100 XMR to anyone who wants to incorporate cryptonote's qt GUI in monero and merge it into master. Anyone want to add to the bounty?

I will pledge another 100XMR so long as it can be done and released by the end of July

I want Monero to be as usable as possible for the average Chinese user before August 8th

I'll throw some funds in on this if someone steps up. I assume they'll go through the funding process on the getmonero forum?

not to be the negative nelly, but I think funds would be better spent on a full time developer. Re: cryptonote GUI - does anyone know how compatible it will be? Does anyone know what the lifespan of it will be, considering the underlying core is set to change ... a lot?

If you want to get this going on the monero forum funding system, start an idea thread. See if a developer will step up to the plate.

re: bolded- what usability do you want? if our reference is bitcoin, does the average chinese user go through the trouble of setting up a full node in order to hodl? Or do they just get a wallet on blockchain.info etc? mymonero.com = usable.

I believe smooth stated that it would be fairly straight forward to adapt the cryptonote GUI to monero (please correct me if I misunderstood or my memory is incorrect).

I'm pledging my portion of the bounty to the cryptonote qt GUI because it would be familiar to most people already in crypto.

RE: Hiring a full time developer. I don't support this, unless it's already a core team member or a heavy contributor to the XMR repository. If that is the case, then I definitely do support the idea and will contribute to that effort as well.
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
https://privacyassociation.org/news/a/why-bitcoin-is-good-for-law-enforcement

First, having a public, traceable ledger of every bitcoin transaction ever conducted allows law enforcement to “follow the money” in a way that would never be possible with cash. That’s true despite the perceived anonymity of bitcoin; reports of bitcoin’s anonymity are greatly exaggerated. A user’s bitcoin address is just an account number that stays with the user. If you can connect that address to a particular user, you can identify and trace all of the transactions in which that individual has participated using that address. Plus, tools and techniques for making those connections are improving all the time.
In addition, because this ledger of bitcoin transactions is permanent, law enforcement does not have to worry that the data will be unavailable months or even years down the road. Since the ledger is publicly accessible, law enforcement does not have to worry about what type of legal process—subpoena or search warrant—is required to access the data. Because the ledger is borderless, law enforcement can get the data without having to go through a foreign government. That’s especially important now, when the Justice Department is in heated litigation with Microsoft and other providers over whether U.S. law enforcement can use a search warrant to get data that a U.S.-based provider chooses to store overseas or instead should be required to go through a foreign government.

reason why I don't care about old alts pumping.

with or without gui, monero is the crypto of the future.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
but I think most users would appreciate a GUI endorsed by the dev team

It would really really help our cause if the dev team would "officialize" one of the third party gui clients, even if just temporarily until the dev team produces its own gui client, and put it on the front page in the "Where can I download Monero" section. Just label one command line interface and the other gui. Please devs.
Activity: 122
Merit: 100
I'll pledge 100 XMR to anyone who wants to incorporate cryptonote's qt GUI in monero and merge it into master. Anyone want to add to the bounty?

I will pledge another 100XMR so long as it can be done and released by the end of July

I want Monero to be as usable as possible for the average Chinese user before August 8th

I'll throw some funds in on this if someone steps up. I assume they'll go through the funding process on the getmonero forum?

not to be the negative nelly, but I think funds would be better spent on a full time developer. Re: cryptonote GUI - does anyone know how compatible it will be? Does anyone know what the lifespan of it will be, considering the underlying core is set to change ... a lot?

If you want to get this going on the monero forum funding system, start an idea thread. See if a developer will step up to the plate.

re: bolded- what usability do you want? if our reference is bitcoin, does the average chinese user go through the trouble of setting up a full node in order to hodl? Or do they just get a wallet on blockchain.info etc? mymonero.com = usable.

The more options the better but I think most users would appreciate a GUI endorsed by the dev team. If the cryptonote GUI is not best for now (I cant answer that) maybe this one is:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.11653240

At the very least links to the alternative options could be added to the first post in this thread instead of users having to click a link to choose an alternative client on getmonero.org which is still just in English:
https://getmonero.org/getting-started/choose

On a positive note it looks like we found a translator who is ready to get started helping us:
https://forum.getmonero.org/6/ideas/327/website-and-core-translations?page=&noscroll=1#post-1391
legendary
Activity: 1260

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000
Want privacy? Use Monero!

imho cryptonote wallet doesn't make sense, as it will probably NOT  work with the DB version of the new wallet, making it a very slow program  to run.
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000
Want privacy? Use Monero!
personally, I think that the new release with DB version combined with MoneroX (full node) or LightWallet (SPV node) will be very usable.
We should promote these options when  the new backbone (i.e. Monero 0.9) is out.

edit: referring to the core as "raw wallet" or something like that could work. So we explain it like this:
well, we have a basic version of the wallet. this is the protocol, the backbone of monero. For now, we, the devs, consider it our task to improve on the basic code. If you want monero to be more usable, use either MoneroX (full node) or LightNode (SPV).

after checking of the code by the dev team, these 2 install options could be included in the official download.

Just a suggestion Wink

Activity: 795
Merit: 514
legendary
XDN trolls are getting very active in Poloniex chat saying that they are 2.0 cryptonote coin and XMR is dead since devs cant make a GUI.

Many people are not aware of fast emission schedule or Ducknote backstory

I love our roadmap but not everyone understands its importance.

Can we just tag one of our unofficial GUIs (or mymonero) as official to end that objection once and for all?

Then we can just continue with our existing roadmap and replace the official GUI with a new one when the time comes

no, just point them to the scoreboard.

Scoreboard = network hashrate, # of recent commits, and market cap.
legendary
LETS GET A FULL TIME DEVELOPER

This is at the IDEA stage of the forum funding system, meaning THIS IS NOT A BOUNTY. Instead, what is supposed to happen now is developers (those who can tackle the task - that is, being a full time developer) will pitch their proposal. Eventually, one will be picked, and we will move it to funding. Then the fund raising will start. Once goal is met, progress will be tracked.

https://forum.getmonero.org/6/ideas/328/funding-a-developer-to-work-full-time-on-monero-for-1-or-2-years
Activity: 686
Merit: 500
XDN trolls are getting very active in Poloniex chat saying that they are 2.0 cryptonote coin and XMR is dead since devs cant make a GUI.

Can we just tag one of our unofficial GUIs (or mymonero) as official to end that objection once and for all?

Then we can just continue with our existing roadmap and replace the official GUI with a new one when the time comes

You could always invite one (or multiple) of the devs of the unofficial guis to join core team and ask that they focus on it

I think this is a great idea. I know the current dev team has grand plans for a great GUI with mechant tools and smart mining. This is only meant to be a stopgap to make the masses feel more welcome here and stop the trolls from other cryptonote coins who are trying to divert btc investment into their coin instead of XMR based on GUI comments.

How about the community votes on this?

First vote could be should we make one of our existing GUIs official?

Second vote could be which one?

Then like you said dev of winning GUI from the vote could join the official dev team to help align it with our objectives
Activity: 478
Merit: 250

You could always invite one (or multiple) of the devs of the unofficial guis to join core team and ask that they focus on it
Activity: 686
Merit: 500

Between the people on Reddit who expressed an interest and the people here, hopefully more will be seen in this thread soon:
https://forum.getmonero.org/6/ideas/327/website-and-core-translations

I suppose you are Chinese or speak Chinese yourself? Do you know on which additional websites we could adverstise this opportunity to get even more offers?

I am asking around and directing people to that thread.  My preference would be to find someone who at least is familiar with bitcoin (and hopefully likes Monero). Unfortunately most of my Chinese friends have little interest in it yet.

I was not born in China. I speak Chinese okay but my reading/writing is probably preschool level.  Many western born Chinese are in similar situation. If I could read/write well I would volunteer to do translations for free myself.  For my personal China related projects I will outsource translations

Once translations are done I have friends who can help me verify the quality of the translations (but they don't want to do it themselves). It wont be hard for example to tell if they are machine translations or not.

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1012
Still wild and free
Between the people on Reddit who expressed an interest and the people here, hopefully more will be seen in this thread soon:

I suppose you are Chinese or speak Chinese yourself? Do you know on which additional websites we could adverstise this opportunity to get even more offers?
Looking for Chinese translations you guys should hook up with VPNcoin DEV. He needs better English translations and is chinese so should have better connections in that area.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=789961.0;topicseen

Didn't we already have NobleSir aka ShenNoether's wife to do this? IIRC she is a verified translator, but I don't know for sure if he acknowleged this though.

They/She should post here: https://forum.getmonero.org/6/ideas/327/website-and-core-translations

Then make a funding request in the appropriate section of the xmr forum.

GingerAle already posted that link in a reply to him (on reddit, see -> http://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/3cjzlm/china_time/cswqr2o?context=3), so he should be aware of it soon Smiley

legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 6382
Looking for campaign manager? Contact icopress!
Jump to: