Author

Topic: [XMR] Monero - A secure, private, untraceable cryptocurrency - page 880. (Read 4670673 times)

Activity: 122
Merit: 100
Can someone share with me the volume of transactions from Monero Club so far?

I am also interested in the number of registered users by region

This data may give us some clues about where interest is higher and where more marketing activities should be directed.
legendary
Activity: 2282
Merit: 1050
Monero Core Team

Welcome back to the XMR thread, where your BCN blather remains off-topic. Please be respectful and take your troll posts back to the BCN thread where they belong.

+1

Could we please keep the debate on whether Bytecoin was a ninjamine or a premine in the following thread: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/blowing-the-lid-off-the-cryptonotebytecoin-scam-with-the-exception-of-monero-740112
Activity: 795
Merit: 514
I also think you're a troll because you're posting all this here (XMR thread). BCN is off topic, so please be respectful take your "inquisitions" to a BCN-specific thread.

To show I'm not a troll and simply being duly diligent I will copy this post (and yours) to the BCN thread.

[Hi, I'm back for more BCN related discussion]

Welcome back to the XMR thread, where your BCN blather remains off-topic. Please be respectful and take your troll posts back to the BCN thread where they belong.
legendary
Activity: 1092
Merit: 1000
i've just logged in just to ask about current progress with LMDB ? Is there any update ?

Impatience killed the cat!
Why the rush ? We need another 10-12 months to tidy up the code then another 6 to stress-test everything before we push it live.

GUI client is next on our to-do list once LMDB is done so get ready people, we are going mainstream soon™
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
i've just logged in just to ask about current progress with LMDB ? Is there any update ?

This says it pretty much -> https://twitter.com/fluffyponyza/status/611064391975481344. Performance nigglies are being worked on. However, no ETA is known (yet). Just be patient. You can also follow the github for other developments -> https://github.com/monero-project/bitmonero/commits/master

EDIT: In addition, why it is important the performance nigglies are solved perfectly:

Quote from: fluffypony (reddit)
It's worked on Windows since quite near the beginning. What you probably read is that we were making a platform agnostic blockchain import format, which we've also subsequently completed. There are performance issues we're dealing with at the moment, and we have to get those 100% right, else we could end up with a network fork (half of the network on the database version and half on the in-RAM version).

http://www.reddit.com/r/Monero/comments/388s1o/are_there_compiled_binaries_for_the/crt9nde
Activity: 300
Merit: 250
Activity: 350
Merit: 250

This is of such absurd logic that it really get's comical. So you would feel safe to entrust your anonymity and investment privacy, over to an individual or group that holds the absolute power of turning your anonymity to shreds on a whim. A group that (going by your suggestion) favored deception over truth, privileged knowledge over fair and open/public access. Sweet.

Which is why investing in BCN is a paradoxy, self-contradictory action...
legendary
Activity: 1154
Merit: 1001
... For arguments sake if the motive was "3) To prevent a de-anon" then i'd feel our anonymity was in safe hands ...

This is of such absurd logic that it really get's comical. So you would feel safe to entrust your anonymity and investment privacy, over to an individual or group that holds the absolute power of turning your anonymity to shreds on a whim. A group that (going by your suggestion) favored deception over truth, privileged knowledge over fair and open/public access. Sweet.

Oh, crap, I got caught in a TrollTrap(TM) again...

There's a never ending supply of motivated bad actors providing BCN with life support.
Adding another one to my ignore list...  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036
Facts are more efficient than fud
To trust or not to trust, that's the question.

For you.  Wink

Activity: 225
FAO smooth https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.11683076
cheers. what a completely bizzarro story btw - wow!

What benefit would I gain by risking my assets on a coin that most likely has broken anonymity?  

The NSA could benefit.

The investors/creators of BCN could benefit.

But in either case, I could not benefit by using this coin.

AS i stated in my post on BCN it seems just as likely that the coin was mined in closed private circles for several months as it does the chain was entirely faked. assuming the former might mean that some dozens of individuals, not necessarily just team members but maybe friends of team members etc might have mined BCN (arguably in clandestine collusion). would all 80% need to be held in one addy or just many addys adding up to 80% all held by the same group?

my problem is motive.

1) GREED

these guys could have made big bucks with a much smaller "premines" ro no premine at all. why risk it all knowing somebody could "pull a Monero", take the goodness and start over? and yet it's perhaps the most likely reason

2) To DE-ANON

hmm. make a crypto triumph (cryptonote) and then proceed to break its anon? cypherpunks not down with that and seems to obvious for a 3-letter agency. also if a 3-letter agency is responsible for CN then all CN coins got things to be concerned about. By the way is it possible to BUY 80% of a CN coin supply to de-anon it?

3) To prevent a DE-ANON

The one positive motive to mine hard. these guys might be so paranoid that they were worried that a 3-letter agency would de-anon their coin by mining it faster than they could, something which Monerians might consider.

Doesn't matter what the motive is. The result is there is no good reason for me to risk my privacy by using the coin. Even if we presume them innocent of actual malice (Sorry, I don't want risk finding out), they were stupid to lay the gun that would eventually kill them on the Welcome mat.

I'm not disagreeing that investing in BCN is very very hard to justify.

For arguments sake if the motive was "3) To prevent a de-anon" then i'd feel our anonymity was in safe hands. Moreover assuming the coin was mined in private circles (rather than fake blockchain) then de-anon would require the collusion of men who I'd assume (under those circumstances) to be cypherpunks I could truest in. I dont deny that motive might is unlikely but it is also true that the CN devs would know better than anyone the potential weakness of the system. with this weakness in mind they become the guardians of the coin supply.

what i also find surprising is that people are in agreement that the CN devs and BCN devs are likely the same bunch. To trust or not to trust, that's the question.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008

What benefit would I gain by risking my assets on a coin that most likely has broken anonymity?  

The NSA could benefit.

AS i stated in my post on BCN it seems just as likely that the coin was mined in closed private circles for several months as it does the chain was entirely faked. assuming the former might mean that some dozens of individuals, not necessarily just team members but maybe friends of team members etc might have mined BCN (arguably in clandestine collusion). would all 80% need to be held in one addy or just many addys adding up to 80% all held by the same group?

my problem is motive.

1) GREED

these guys could have made big bucks with a much smaller "premines" ro no premine at all. why risk it all knowing somebody could "pull a Monero", take the goodness and start over? and yet it's perhaps the most likely reason

2) To DE-ANON

hmm. make a crypto triumph (cryptonote) and then proceed to break its anon? cypherpunks not down with that and seems to obvious for a 3-letter agency. also if a 3-letter agency is responsible for CN then all CN coins got things to be concerned about. By the way is it possible to BUY 80% of a CN coin supply to de-anon it?

3) To prevent a DE-ANON

The one positive motive to mine hard. these guys might be so paranoid that they were worried that a 3-letter agency would de-anon their coin by mining it faster than they could, something which Monerians might consider.

My favorite theory, which I've picked up from someone (i forget who), was basically that the crypto side and the scam side were 2 separate entities. I.e., the ones who developed the cryptography / core for BCN were not involved with the scam. The theory goes that most cryptographers / true crypto enthusiasts could care less about profiteering, so the crypto side just bailed when the scam side took over. This leads easily to the fact that point #2 just wasn't considered by the scam team, because they weren't involved in the cryptography / core development.

Re: buying 80% - perhaps if one then mixin 0'd that amount or something.

regarding point #3, the current hash rate distribution seems relatively healthy. No idea regarding early days.

legendary

The NSA could benefit.

my problem is motive.

1) GREED

2) To DE-ANON

3) To prevent a DE-ANON

Doesn't matter what the motive is. The result is there is no good reason for me to risk my privacy by using the coin. Even if we presume them innocent of actual malice (Sorry, I don't want to risk finding out), they were stupid to lay the gun that would eventually kill them on the Welcome mat.

The NSA could benefit.

my problem is motive.

1) GREED

2) To DE-ANON

3) To prevent a DE-ANON

legendary

The NSA could benefit.

Activity: 186
Monero

I think you forget that having such a huge premine(~80%?) breaks the anonymity of the coin, which is the whole basis of having an anonymous currency, no?

It is pretty simple from that fact alone that BCN should be entirely ignored.
legendary
Activity: 1105
Merit: 1000
Code:
2015-Jun-21 12:35:33.245248 Initializing cryptonote protocol...
2015-Jun-21 12:35:33.246312 Cryptonote protocol initialized OK
2015-Jun-21 12:35:33.246458 Initializing p2p server...
2015-Jun-21 12:35:33.919206 Set limit-up to 128 kB/s
2015-Jun-21 12:35:33.920365 Set limit-down to 128 kB/s
2015-Jun-21 12:35:33.921370 Set limit to 128 kB/s

Now I understand why it took me 5 days
download the blockchain
but I do not understand why putting limits
if one wanted them did set them alone

When we didn't have QoS then we had people complaining about the bandwidth usage. Now we have QoS and a sane bandwidth limit, and people are complaining about it not using enough bandwidth:-P

More about lack of a config file. You have to plaster the binary with command line arguments. Not everybody's favorit.

or just type limit 999 into the daemon console, or start up bitmonerod with some limit flag "--limit-rate 999"... or put the CLI command mess into a script and then run the script.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ-8IuUkJJc

Yeah instead of a "config" file, just launch with a batch file or shell script.

Edit: I also agree 128 KBps is quite low for initial sync. 128 KBps upload on the other hand will likely be too high for many home connections.
FWIW, I believe some "reasonable" limits should be in place by default, but perhaps it should be a bit more publicized that they exist and how to change them (though it is obvious from --help).

The reason the defaults are best kept low for now is that the syncing part of the p2p code is currently quite inefficient.

If you allow it to use more bandwidth, it wastes disproportionately more bandwidth (by downloading the same block multiple times), including from peers who have graciously donated their upstream bandwidth. Somewhere on the development plan is a goal to replace it with a better and more maintainable implementation, although I don't rule out that useful tweaks are possible too.

If it were just a matter of trading more bandwidth over a shorter period of time for less bandwidth over a longer period of time, then a download limit wouldn't really make sense at all, but that's not the case.

Ah, I wasn't aware of that, thanks.
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1141
Any german speaking Monero Dev able to give a short comment on the Elliptic announcement and why XMR is not affected?
Preferably in German and in a short way a noob could understand?
Need a quote for a german article about Elliptic and why Anoncoins could benefit.

Sorry if I appear ignorant, but what are you referring to? The release of their "big bang" product? What does it have to do with Monero and German?

Hi, I am referring to this:
http://cointelegraph.com/news/114604/good-bitcoin-bad-bitcoin-blockchain-analytics-and-fungibility

We (cointelegraph.DE, so the german site) are writing an article about it as well and I`d like to have a "soundbite" to quote in this context (quoted from the article above):

"“Hence my view,” says Vays, “that if bitcoin becomes legal and controlled, there will be an anoncoin that will rise to the top and be 30 to 40% of Bitcoin market cap, and many useless jobs in the government will be added to endlessly fight against it."

If I'm not mistaken , Othe can translate English to German. https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/othe-265368

For your interest, Monero mentioned:

http://cointelegraph.de/news/114633/elliptic-die-bitcoin-der-anderen-und-der-anoncoin-widerstand

Great article and thanks for mentioning us!
Activity: 19
Merit: 0
Any german speaking Monero Dev able to give a short comment on the Elliptic announcement and why XMR is not affected?
Preferably in German and in a short way a noob could understand?
Need a quote for a german article about Elliptic and why Anoncoins could benefit.

Sorry if I appear ignorant, but what are you referring to? The release of their "big bang" product? What does it have to do with Monero and German?

Hi, I am referring to this:
http://cointelegraph.com/news/114604/good-bitcoin-bad-bitcoin-blockchain-analytics-and-fungibility

We (cointelegraph.DE, so the german site) are writing an article about it as well and I`d like to have a "soundbite" to quote in this context (quoted from the article above):

"“Hence my view,” says Vays, “that if bitcoin becomes legal and controlled, there will be an anoncoin that will rise to the top and be 30 to 40% of Bitcoin market cap, and many useless jobs in the government will be added to endlessly fight against it."

If I'm not mistaken , Othe can translate English to German. https://bitcointalksearch.org/user/othe-265368

For your interest, Monero mentioned:

http://cointelegraph.de/news/114633/elliptic-die-bitcoin-der-anderen-und-der-anoncoin-widerstand
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
Code:
2015-Jun-21 12:35:33.245248 Initializing cryptonote protocol...
2015-Jun-21 12:35:33.246312 Cryptonote protocol initialized OK
2015-Jun-21 12:35:33.246458 Initializing p2p server...
2015-Jun-21 12:35:33.919206 Set limit-up to 128 kB/s
2015-Jun-21 12:35:33.920365 Set limit-down to 128 kB/s
2015-Jun-21 12:35:33.921370 Set limit to 128 kB/s

Now I understand why it took me 5 days
download the blockchain
but I do not understand why putting limits
if one wanted them did set them alone

When we didn't have QoS then we had people complaining about the bandwidth usage. Now we have QoS and a sane bandwidth limit, and people are complaining about it not using enough bandwidth:-P

More about lack of a config file. You have to plaster the binary with command line arguments. Not everybody's favorit.

It isn't necessary or even recommended to change those settings on a permanent basis.

For initial sync, you might want to, but when the new release is ready (or if you are using a github build) it is better to just download an export file and import it with verification on. That accomplishes the same thing in terms of verificaiton/trustlessness using less bandwidth and less time.

For subsequent resyncs the default settings are fine.
Jump to: